Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lie that EP has admitted to (as stated in the recent article) is that she initially told the police that she had dumped the dehydrator a long time ago, then later admitted that she had lied and dumped it because her ex-husband (Simon) asked her if that was what she used to poison the others.

Lies that she seems to have been caught in are:
Saying the kids were at the movies when they were at the lunch
Saying she fed the kids Beef Wellington leftovers the next night, but the others fell ill at lunchtime the next day, so why feed the kids leftovers (if she knew the others fell ill several hours prior)
She said she ate a portion of the lunch, got bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea, was put on a saline drip then transported to hospital, but the police said she presented at hospital as a precaution and had no signs of poisoning.

(paraphrased)
Do you have any links to support your statements SA?

I’m just trying to figure out where all of your information came from. Thank you.

Snipped by me. I'm trying to think of reasons why she'd lie about the kids not being there when they were. An attempt to stop Police from questioning them? Hoping they wouldn't bother as the kids weren't there? You'd have to have a pretty low opinion of the Police's intelligence to think they wouldn't check surely. And why don't you want the kids being interviewed?

MOO

Do you have any links to support your statements SA?

I’m just trying to figure out where all of your information came from. Thank you.

In the link in bearbear's post ...

There is more in the article, but I am just trying to pick the salient points as we can only paraphrase the general gist of an article.

todays new herald sun paywalled article.....

Six things that don’t stack up in mushroom death case​

The mushroom lunch that killed three people and left another gravely ill is still shrouded in mystery, but several key claims will have police – and the public – scratching their heads.

A lie that EP has admitted to (as stated in the recent article) is that she initially told the police that she had dumped the dehydrator a long time ago, then later admitted that she had lied and dumped it because her ex-husband (Simon) asked her if that was what she used to poison the others.

Saying she fed the kids Beef Wellington leftovers the next night, but the others fell ill at lunchtime the next day, so why feed the kids leftovers (if she knew the others fell ill several hours prior)
She said she ate a portion of the lunch, got bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea, was put on a saline drip then transported to hospital, but the police said she presented at hospital as a precaution and had no signs of poisoning.

(paraphrased)
From my knowledge it was the police that included the children in the initial report stating they had attended the lunch That may have been an error. it was not reported that the info came from E.

It is not clear when she learned about her four guests' illnesses or when she knew it was possibly associated with the meal she cooked.

I'm not sure that the police ever reported she had not been genuinely ill when she went to hospitals with symptoms of poisoning. Of course the hospital will have taken samples in any case, those results have not been published. She also was transported by ambulance to another hospital where she received a 'liver protective drug'

Police have been really tight lipped and have indicated it will be quite some time before they complete their investigation.

They have not even confirmed whether they are investigating any other people in relation to this. They have not even confirmed the toxin was dc.
There is a vast amount of unknown info regarding this case.

From my knowledge it was the police that included the children in the initial report stating they had attended the lunch That may have been an error. it was not reported that the info came from E.

It is not clear when she learned about her four guests' illnesses or when she knew it was possibly associated with the meal she cooked.

I'm not sure that the police ever reported she had not been genuinely ill when she went to hospitals with symptoms of poisoning. Of course the hospital will have taken samples in any case, those results have not been published. She also was transported by ambulance to another hospital where she received a 'liver protective drug'

Police have been really tight lipped and have indicated it will be quite some time before they complete their investigation.

They have not even confirmed whether they are investigating any other people in relation to this. They have not even confirmed the toxin was dc.
There is a vast amount of unknown info regarding this case.

The article does say "the police said" at various points throughout.
I am presuming that the police that said these things are the Herald Sun's police source. It seems that all Aussie publications have their police sources, something we have specifically discovered in another case (the William Tyrrell case).

Eg: it is stated that the police said EP showed no sign of poisoning, despite her story about the saline drip, and the liver protection meds. Presumably, they have checked with Monash Medical Centre, where she went on 31st July.

The article does say "the police said" at various points throughout.
I am presuming that the police that said these things are the Herald Sun's police source. It seems that all Aussie publications have their police sources, something we have discovered in another case (the William Tyrrell case).

Eg: it is stated that the police said EP showed no sign of poisoning, despite her story about the saline drip, and the liver protection meds. Presumably, they have checked with Monash Medical Centre, where she went.
Thanks Aussie.
How reputable is it as a publication?

Thanks Aussie.
How reputable is it as a publication?

It's not too bad. It's accuracy was pretty high in the Karen Ristevski case - a case in the same state, where the police were keeping things well under wraps but we still learned true things that the police didn't announce to the public.

I think the police deliberately leak when they want to apply pressure to someone.

It's not too bad. It's accuracy was pretty high in the Karen Ristevski case - a case in the same state, where the police were keeping things well under wraps but we still learned true things that the police didn't announce to the public.

I think the police deliberately leak when they want to apply pressure to someone.
For complicated fatal tragedies such as this, it's nice to depend upon reliably reported details. Details are critical to our clues and curiosity so we can theorize and speculate.

Even though it keeps citizens in the dark, per say, I like the policy of secrecy NZ installs for their accused, too. As mentioned in the thread, AU LE doesn't reveal suspect's names either, iirc. It is EP via her lawyer when a statement was proffered for her side. Does having an attorney protect her from speaking to the Police further? tia

NZ resident, Yanfei Bao, was reported a MP, JULY 9. Since then, an arrest of an illegal immigrant from China was made. He is 52yo and has been in NZ from China for only a few months; otherwise, as is Police policy in NZ, he's not named in published media. His privacy is observed by secreting his name and his face as the media redacts/blocks his face in their images.

(paraphrased)
RBBM: Re the kids at lunch or not: Think it might be the other way round. Police statements initially said kids ate separate meal from in-laws and it was either stated,implied, or taken for granted by public that kids were actually in the house at time of lunch (unable to recall details). It could also be that EP said the kids were there to police when they first questioned her. Idk. However in her later statement, EP has officially stated (through statement compiled with lawyer as I understand it) the kids were at the movies during the lunch. Personally, because of the statement aspect I tend to believe atm movies is where the kids were. Initially there may have been a miscommunication, misunderstanding or possibly a lie (if so reasons unknown). Moo

RSBM

Does having an attorney protect her from speaking to the Police further? tia

People here can (and some do) request that police communicate with them via their lawyer. So the police would need to request an interview with her via her lawyer. Pretty sure that she can refuse an interview, if she wants or if she is advised to do so.

That Herald Sun article said she gave a 'no comment' police interview initially, then issued a statement to the police via her lawyer.

I don't think we will hear any real statistics (test results about her own poisoning, or the test results from the apparently left over meal). It would be unusual if we did prior to any charges/trial. imo

I have been reading that even edible, non-poisonous mushrooms can be "difficult to digest" to the point of making you think you've been poisoned.

Sometimes it's because people lack an enzyme. Had you had problems with mushrooms before?
No never with mushrooms.

I'd eaten them regularly before that with no problems.

(paraphrased)
I'm getting a bit confused now. Not sure if I've misread. Just to clarify - the kids WERE at the lunch, and NOT the movies?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member