Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching now. In the first lead-in it is said that .... "There’s problems in the family. A lot of people (members of the Baptist church) said that Simon’s parents weren’t happy about a reconciliation".
That kind of sounds like a reconciliation was possible ?

If so who was the one who wanted it. Unless it might have been both. But the parents not so much.

Could have been for the sake of the children, maybe.

Is anybody watching the special tv show airing tonight in Australia?

Is there even anything to show?
All we know is tiny bits from (possibly) autorities, other sources, the woman's mouth.
jmo. And I still haven't made up my mind if she's an "evil witch" (<her words) or just ignorant and stupid.

The police were at the rubbish dump on Tuesday, looking for microwave trays and other kitchen utensils.
The private investigator had spoken with the workers. He said the workers have been told not to talk to the media.
He said there is also CCTV at the rubbish dump, which the police would have.

The former Major Crimes detective said that the police would have gone to all the local dumps looking for the same items. Not only the rubbish dump where EP is said to have dumped the dehydrator.

The private investigator said there are two dumps in the area. The one that EP said she went to, and another one that is closer to her home.

(from the Under Investigation show)

Last edited:
My mind is coming back to the dehydrator - and to the idea of whether the mushrooms were collected, dehydrated and stored - at a much earlier time.

For what??? and why??

Just in case things deteriorated and you might need to use these - storing them for future you??

That an intention was in motion much earlier than the lunch - only speculation if the dehydrator was involved and death cap mushrooms. MOO.

If there is a motive .... "people don't kill people they like, they kill people because they don't like them for some reason" - Alex Krystic, former Major Crime detective.

He also said that it is not a crime to be a careless cook, if EP is innocent.

If there is a motive .... "people don't kill people they like, they kill people because they don't like them for some reason" - Alex Krystic, former Major Crime detective.

He also said that it is not a crime to be a careless cook, if EP is innocent.

You would have to be absolutely moronic to use tons of mushrooms in a dish and not notice that they were poisonous as you cut them up. It’s said she was a forager and knew her stuff so how exactly would this of been a accident?

Mooooooooo

You would have to be absolutely moronic to use tons of mushrooms in a dish and not notice that they were poisonous as you cut them up. It’s said she was a forager and knew her stuff so how exactly would this of been a accident?

Mooooooooo

They were being very careful.

At the end of the show they put up a comment that said words to the effect of "Erin Patterson strongly denies any allegations and Channel 9 is not suggesting she is guilty of a crime".

I can't remember the exact wording of the comment, but that was the gist.

They were being very careful.

At the end of the show they put up a comment that said words to the effect of "Erin Patterson strongly denies any allegations and Channel 9 is not suggesting she is guilty of a crime".

I can't remember the exact wording of the comment, but that was the gist.

Yes it makes sense to cover their backs. I am amazed that LE are not moving more quickly here surely if she is guilty of poisoning 4 people she is a danger to the community.

IMO

On the show, they had a Swiss mushroom expert (now lives in Australia) who used to work at one of the 10 mushroom-inspection stations in Bern. The Swiss have such a problem with poisonous mushrooms that they set up lots of these stations throughout Switzerland for foragers to have their mushrooms looked at.

The Aussie toxicologist on the show said that it is possible that the police may have to send samples overseas to a place that is more familiar with mushroom poisonings, to get assistance with test results. (It was his own speculation.)

Very rare for someone his age with no known health issues [because that would have factored in to a diagnosis] to be 21 days in ICU with such a poor prognosis and unknown diagnosis.

Such cases are often poison-induced, as reading several true crime books revealed to me.

View attachment 442164
its not really that rare, intestinal illnesses can be difficult to diagnose, I know of two personally who have had mystery intestinal illnesses requiring 2/4 weeks in hospital just in the last 6 months. Neither have a definite diagnosis and one is still suffering symptoms.

Also would you need to go to the dump - to dispose of a dehydrator - could it not just go in the normal bin?? MOO
Most dumps are now like collection / transfer stations which have an e-waste skip bin. This bin collects disposed appliances, and may only be transferred periodically in a smaller centre. The dehydrator was probably found in tact.

My mind is coming back to the dehydrator - and to the idea of whether the mushrooms were collected, dehydrated and stored - at a much earlier time.

For what??? and why??

Just in case things deteriorated and you might need to use these - storing them for future you??

That an intention was in motion much earlier than the lunch - only speculation if the dehydrator was involved and death cap mushrooms. MOO.

Same, especially if Death Caps were not in season.
If it was a deliberate and premeditated act it may have been many months in the planning.

In the “Under Investigation” show I think there was an inference that the dehydrator may have been discarded on the day of the lunch.
I am intrigued by how the conversation with the children about the dehydrator (at the hospital) might have unfolded, “hey mum, why did you take the dehydrator to the tip?” (hypothetical).

Last edited:
Also would you need to go to the dump - to dispose of a dehydrator - could it not just go in the normal bin?? MOO
Also she went to the rubbish dump on the Saturday. I think they said in the morning before the lunch. The investigator said he only found that out because one of their employees slipped up and said he wasn't working on the Saturday!

From the show "under Investigation" Channel 9

Last edited:
Earlier today I thought all the funerals were still on hold, still delayed by the police investigation.

"The families of three people who died after eating a poisonous mushroom lunch have been forced to wait for further police inquiries before they can bury their loved ones."

"It is unclear how long the grieving family members of the three dead lunch guests will have to wait for further police inquiries into their deaths."

Updated: 01:32 AEST, 23 August 2023
(BBM).

That reads as an assertion that none of the victims had been buried by early AEST on 23rd August. Moo

But five hours later

By Candace Sutton for Daily Mail Australia
Updated: 07:25 23 Aug 2023

"A couple who died from a suspected mushroom poisoning in Victoria were laid to rest in a discreet private ceremony earlier this week."

Wondering if the 'Eerie Twist' is referring to the new asserted fact that two victims were laid to rest "earlier this week". Two contradictory assertions made as if they are fact within the space of five hours. Annoying! Moo

I'm taking it as true that SPs' parents' funerals have already taken place given the more recent article provides some level of detail. Wishing all the victims' loved ones support and love. This must be a very difficult time for them. :-(
Perhaps the conflicting stories were a way to prevent EP from showing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny