Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his Hispanic appearance, it might be possible to get an idea of his citizenship via his accent if Spanish was used in the course of the LA crime

For both the perpetrator and the possibility that the victims are Hispanic, being in heavily hipsanic area and being from an immigrant family do not guarantee that an individual speaks Spanish. But.... many from such back grounds do.

Spanish speaking countries can have distinct accents- and the larger ones such as Mexico can have several either regional, or based on social class. The ability of a Spanish speaker to place an accent is the same with English speakers in that it varies from very good to just "sounds foreign".

Though a possible Spanish speaking victim(s) might not be able to differentiate Cuban from Puerto Rican accents- especially under stress, they can probably give a general assessment of: Salvadoran, Mexican, Carribean, or a generic- "South American"
It all depends on who heard him speak.

It's kinda easy to tell a foreign accent from a US accent, but that's about it.

It's hard for me tell a Mexican accent from a Central American accent.

Of course, there are regional accents and social class accents, but urban and/or upper in Mexico all have the same accent to me. I can't tell a Mexico City from a Guadalajara accent or even someone from Matamaros or Juarez from an upper class family.

Many migrants have rural accents, but I can't tell rural Mexico from Central America (Rural accents tend to be more drawn out than urban accents)

Guy could be from the US for all we know.
People at the house could be from the US. No one knows.

And if a young person heard him speak, then that person would likely not know a whole bunch more than myself.

If only a young person interacted with him, I just don't think they would have much linguistic discernment, unless they were from X and the guy spoke like he was from X.

I get the feeling he possibly wasn’t a stranger to the minor. If so, maybe she didn’t believe she’d been SA’d. What if her parents found out, because of the ring camera. The Minor is questioned and parents report the incident to LE. Also, in the video it appears that the suspect “fist bumps” whoever walks him to the door. Males don’t usually fist bump females upon greeting/departure. Again, maybe the suspect is known by at least some family members. It’s obvious to me he’s not wearing a shirt because her parents are due home at any minute and he’s being rushed out the door. I also remember sneaking a boy out of my house when I was a tween. Luckily we didn’t have ring cameras then. But this isn’t the same thing, because they aren’t both tweens. He’s a grown *** man. Which makes this a crime. JMO

I get the feeling he possibly wasn’t a stranger to the minor. If so, maybe she didn’t believe she’d been SA’d. What if her parents found out, because of the ring camera. The Minor is questioned and parents report the incident to LE. Also, in the video it appears that the suspect “fist bumps” whoever walks him to the door. Males don’t usually fist bump females upon greeting/departure. Again, maybe the suspect is known by at least some family members. It’s obvious to me he’s not wearing a shirt because her parents are due home at any minute and he’s being rushed out the door. I also remember sneaking a boy out of my house when I was a tween. Luckily we didn’t have ring cameras then. But this isn’t the same thing, because they aren’t both tweens. He’s a grown *** man. Which makes this a crime. JMO
I'm thinking along these lines.
LE really tends to keep this stuff under wraps. It's to protect the victim.
They go to lengths to protect victims now.

Back in the day, everyone would find out through the grapevine and the victim would often be humiliated and then teased by peers etc.

It all depends on who heard him speak.

It's hard to tell a Mexican accent from a Central American accent.

in Mexico all have the same accent to me. Many migrants have rural accents, but I can't tell rural Mexico from Central America

And if a young person heard him speak, then that person would likely not know a whole bunch more than myself.
I think your observation that it depends on: A. Who hears him B. How distinct is his accent? sums it up well.

I have a learned, not native fluency in Spanish with standard Mexican being my "base accent".

I can tell Mexican from Carribean accents. I cant tell Cuban from Dominican- but my Puerto RIcan friend can. I can differentiate between the three most distinctive Mexican accents. I used to be able to tell Salvadoran from Mexican. Argentinian is very distinct.

But... I also worked in a business where different Spanish accents were common- customers from all over. So, I was exposed to more.

Likewise, as you stated, rural Mexican might blur into rural Honduran or Guatemalan. I dont have any contact with rural Hondurans and Guatemalans so I dont know. I do know, however, that educated accents can blur together.

Likewise, a child or somebody with no exposure to different accents might just hear "familiar Spanish" and "unfamiliar Spanish".

I also, think however, think that a native speaker with some exposure to different accents could, if the perpetrator spoke Spanish, relate that the perpertrator was likely / likely not from their home country and other countries that they were familiar with.

Last edited:
Focusing on the LA case, first off there’s only info from the charges claimed by LE in California, we’re missing crucial details to accurately compare the 2 cases. So, it’s all speculation at the moment but watching the video over and over and attempt to determine movements of it seems 2 different individuals, I thought of an infamous case in Atlanta many years ago involving a home invasion. A man on the run after mass killing during an escaping the courthouse downtown forced his way into a young woman’s apartment. The woman took steps to befriend him, asking his situation and sharing her struggles leading to discussions of the Bible, she even provided him with drugs. Eventually, he surrendered knowing the charges against him was eligible for death penalty. The woman did what she had to for survival and to reunite with her son. The LA case might be similar situation and explain why he calmly walked out and left with the door immediately secured. Just a thought.
I watched this case unfold on tv as they searched for him. The women wrote a book that was very eye opening. I read it years ago and it really stuck with me. Thank you for reminding me of it. I might re-read with years of knowledge under my belt.

<modsnip> I see a lot of posters here trying to imagine some type of employment for this suspect, one that would explain his travel from one coast to the other. Many have suggested that his haircut looks military.

To me, he does not look military at all. This is a guy that is all about his looks, probably works out regularly, whether at a gym, or on equipment at his or a friend's house. As to a "job", I don't think he does a 40-hour shift. I think this guy's "job" is likely theft and selling stolen goods and/or drugs. He is known to have committed at least one "hot burglary", but what are the odds that he was unlucky enough to get caught on camera on his first attempt. I envision other home and business break-ins, and auto break-ins and thefts may well be in his resume, when he is eventually identified. As to getting from south LA to Maryland, he may have friends or family in either or both locations, and probably owns a car that is a few years old, that he or friends have the ability to tinker on, that keep it running well. His car is probably an extension of him, looks good and gets noticed. This guy doesn't strike me as the kind to hop on a Greyhound or train to go cross-country. JMO
Are you thinking the maybe went to Maryland due to having friends or family there and to get away from LE in California for a while? Hypothetically, can someone making their living off of selling stolen goods and/or drugs move their operation across the country without much interruption in their income stream?

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!!! Rewards don't always work as we know, but could this amount get someone to talk? I'm not thinking a family member would because I doubt they're even aware of this murder. However, we will wait and see how this goes.
Hoping the Harford County LE has a fully staffed dedicated line because there will be many calls, and as in all such cases, most will be false or the wrong person. But each plausible lead from a tip will have to be vetted.

Fingers crossed for justice for Rachel. For that one phone call to the tip line that brings this perp in and stops this.

Yes very interesting about the age-range being changed to 20-30. Perhaps profilers along with others have been able to make a more accurate determination of his age?

IMHO it makes more sense that he is at least 20 if not more like 25. This isn't his first dip into the criminal world in my thinking. Not appearing to be worried in what we see as he is leaving the LA home. Doubt he's even worried now.

Everyone be careful and watchful, he may still be in the states, he may have crossed the border, or several by now. We just don't know. He will assault or kill again if he's not captured.

I am beginning to wonder if he stole a car or something after leaving the scene in LA. Maybe one belonging to the occupants of the house. He seemed to be going towards the right and not straight to the street. IDK just a thought.

Chi

ETA we posted at the same time. Thanks for being on the lookout too @Mica . You were faster so I appreciate that.

Harford County Sheriff's Office

11m ·

Up to a $10,000 reward established for information leading to a conviction of the person responsible for the murder of Rachel Morin.

View attachment 442695

I wish they had better photos of him.

I watched this case unfold on tv as they searched for him. The women wrote a book that was very eye opening. I read it years ago and it really stuck with me. Thank you for reminding me of it. I might re-read with years of knowledge under my belt.
I was still living in Atlanta then, people questioned her actions but I thought she was amazing and she survived.

This was a reported crime, not just a random incident caught on camera. Police know who reported the crime and they investigated, or else we wouldn't have DNA. So if the victim and family members that reported a burglary and assault knew who he was/is, why wouldn't police just announce his name and what they know about him? Why would they be trying to identify him?

Not picking on you, but just trying to understand why people continue to insist that the victim knows who this is. Maybe I'm missing some thing obvious.

This was a reported crime, not just a random incident caught on camera. Police know who reported the crime and they investigated, or else we wouldn't have DNA. So if the victim and family members that reported a burglary and assault knew who he was/is, why wouldn't police just announce his name and what they know about him? Why would they be trying to identify him?

Not picking on you, but just trying to understand why people continue to insist that the victim knows who this is. Maybe I'm missing some thing obvious.
What has been released publicly doesn't exactly match up to what can be 'sleuthed' by anyone out there. The address in Los Angeles where the 'invasion' happened can only be mapped to a vehicle theft incident. Mind you, there could be additional incidents associated with that same reported incident, but might be omitted if those incidents are associated with a minor, and rightfully so.
But the video does show a casually exiting 'perp' being ushered out the door by 'someone', and he's not exactly running away like a criminal should be doing when leaving the scene of a crime(s). AND ... that video is all that was released showing the 'perp'.
So, someone at that address knows more than what we all know, and I'm sure LE struggled with releasing that video because everyone else would notice all of this, too.

I'm trying to figure out when the suspect decided RM would be his next victim.

Did he just happen to be on the Ma and Pa at the same time RM was? Complete coincidence?
Did he somehow know of her and had followed her around?
What happened to cause him to travel from LA to Maryland?

I wondering about RM's 'Black Card' Planet Fitness card. It allowed her to visit any Planet Fitness in the World.

I wonder if he had the same. From the video images we saw from LA, he clearly works out. There are many Planet Fitness' in LA.

I wonder if he happened to see her at the local Planet Fitness that afternoon and followed her?

Just another theory. I hope this monster is arrested soon.

JMO

Are you thinking the maybe went to Maryland due to having friends or family there and to get away from LE in California for a while? Hypothetically, can someone making their living off of selling stolen goods and/or drugs move their operation across the country without much interruption in their income stream?

JMO
I am thinking these two cities have some things in common and could this guy be a steward for an Airline? Only because I know a steward and airline starts with A . Next question is based on B -were there any basket ball games?

We know they can make us a composit drawing ..why havent they? So shall we just work the rest of the Alpha bet out or should I resign myself to more worthwhile deducing ?
ETA - Criminal was next.

Last edited:

I don’t think anyone is insisting the victim knows who he is. I’m also not seeing posts which are not victim friendly. I see posters including myself, looking at the video and wondering about some oddities given what was stated by LE.

LAPD called it a Hot Burglary/Assault, Sheriff in Bel Air called it a Home Invasion/Assault. What is seen on camera isn’t typical of either of those descriptions. So naturally folks are trying to make sense of what the circumstances could have been.

Personally, I’m going to refrain from commenting further. This won’t make sense until and if even, we are ever given details by LE after an arrest is made. Hoping they are making progress behind the scenes, scary to think this guy could strike again.

I completely agree. He had nothing to lose.
I’ve not read her book but from what I remember he was determined to escape custody with no concern for anyone that got in his way. He was outraged over being wrongly accused by former girlfriend of assault, he didn’t trust the justice system. He caused the deaths of so many innocent victims.

I get the feeling he possibly wasn’t a stranger to the minor. If so, maybe she didn’t believe she’d been SA’d. What if her parents found out, because of the ring camera. The Minor is questioned and parents report the incident to LE.
But if the suspect was known to the (minor) victim, why isn't their name known to law enforcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlop