LA LA - Willard "Bill" Daspit Jr, 58, going to his camp 3 doors away, dirt bike & glasses found in wreck 100 yds from home, Coteau Holmes, 9 Sep 2023

Teche- is it possible to search all through the sugarcane fields in the area or, are they too tall and dense? I know there are many, many fields.
We owned cane fields and played in them as kids. It's easy to ride down the cane breaks that are driveable paths for trucks and 4-wheelers. I believe it's a challenge to search for a person/body. I hope they’re using dogs. Searchers would have to walk down acres of cane because a 4-wheeler cannot go down the rows of cane.

The cane crop is tall, bushy, and thick at this time. Good farmers with good soil can sometimes plant double stalk stubs on a row. A couple of weeks ago, our area had bad weather that knocked down a lot of the cane. It's uprighting now. Once harvesting begins, the cane is cut into a huge combine, burned to get rid of debris, and loaded on wagons/trailers, and hauled to the mill for grinding.

Here in Louisiana, someones home and camp may be within miles of each other, especially in small towns, small country towns- with lots of farmland/waterways…-The Daspits live in such an area. Not uncommon for someone to “go check on the camp”- check the property, piddle around, work on a few things-watch some football or have a couple of drinks (not saying BD did this) and head home. It is baffling because the area he is missing in, I thought he would be found by now. The sugarcane fields have been searched, although there are so many fields in all directions I don’t know if all have been searched. I would think if someone did pick up BD, the police would be contacted.
If they have another search, I may try and go help.
Can you elaborate on the camp itself? I believe I understand, but then again what we call something in Florida could be completely different.

Can you elaborate on the camp itself? I believe I understand, but then again what we call something in Florida could be completely different.
I'm from this area. My in-laws lived in town but had a camp on the bayou. The camp itself was a large one-room that had a full-size kitchen, a large living room, and a huge screened porch facing the bayou. It had a large fishing deck and a place to launch a boat. Our area is known for great hunting, fishing, and cookouts.
The camps range from fancy to simple. It just depends on your needs and budget. The Coteau Homes area is known for hunting, crawfishing, and fishing. Mr. Daspit may have used his camp as a man cave.

I have heard several different versions of where he was going. In the beginning I read that he was going to visit someone named Faith? She said he always showed up when he said he would but that day he never showed up. Then it was he went to check his camp and then it was going feed some dogs.
There is video of him walking down the street the same day he went missing. He looked fine.

Can you elaborate on the camp itself? I believe I understand, but then again what we call something in Florida could be completely different.I
I also was confused by the meaning of he left “to go check on his camp”(perhaps because I’m a Californian?). “Camp”, to me, always conjured up an image of a location where people stay in tents or maybe an rv.

I found a description that explains it for this case’s context:

”When locals refer to “camps,” it means anything from a trailer on stilts to a mansion somewhere on water that isn’t a primary residence. Most all camps are raised high to avoid flooding using the space underneath for parking, storage and party space. Camps can have a single owner or be shared by family and friends with different people claiming different weekends and parts of the summer or even be rented out.”

Very interesting. I love that I learn new (to me) things here!

Depending on how advanced his glaucoma is, I could see it possibly being a factor in causing Bill to have an accident while riding his motorcycle.

With glaucoma, you lose your peripheral vision, so your field of vision is like looking through a tunnel. It is a progressive disease, but there are eye drops that can help slow or stop its progression.

With him having low vision he must be having a difficult time getting around, I would think. If he normally uses eye drops daily to manage his glaucoma, the longer he goes without it could make him lose even more vision, sadly.

(I’m not an expert in glaucoma, but my father did have a very advanced case, so MOO based on what I know from my experience of helping him cope with this terrible eye disease.)

Are we sure about those reports of him being seen on video AFTER the accident?
This is from the St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office FB page:

”Investigators located video surveillance in the area which showed him walking in the roadway by the Coteau Holmes Fire Station at approximately 3:00 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.“

So, yes, at least that sighting seems to have been confirmed.

I live in the general area of where BD went missing and have been looking for any active search parties to join. I haven’t seen any in the past few weeks. If anyone knows of any searches being formed, pass on the info please! So disturbing to think he possibly had an accident, head injury, (glaucoma, diabetes ) and couldn’t find his way home. Best case scenario, he has shelter, food and medication. Praying for a positive outcome…

9/12: ❤️
Vergenal was sent footage from residents on Facebook of Daspit walking near the Coteau Holmes volunteer fire station nearly three miles away from their home and there were later reports that he was seen near Banker Road about five miles away. She said sheriff's deputies searched the woods around their home and now have focused their search efforts around Banker Road and the fire station.

"Tell him his wife is looking for him. He's a quiet introvert. He's not going to go up to someone's house and knock on the door," Vergenal said. "I need him to come home so I can take care of him."

9:18: ❤️
Lara Vergenal, Daspit's wife, pleads, "Please continue looking for him. He needs our help. He's a good man, he's a very good man, and I just need my best friend back."

Last edited:
I keep trying to post things but they get removed. There were sightings of him by people and on surveillance cameras the day he had the “accident” at or around 10am. These were all after the accident, up until about 10pm. Since then there has literally been nothing! Searchers have seemed to pull out but I don’t know why. Hoping he is safe somewhere but I really don’t have a good feeling about this.
I suppose it’s possible he is lost but the footage I’ve seen of him walking makes me think he could have made it home or at the very least ask for help. He didn’t seem to be struggling to walk or see. He was walking along side the road while traffic went by. Passed houses, gas stations, etc.
I’m just really really puzzled by this situation….

I keep trying to post things but they get removed. There were sightings of him by people and on surveillance cameras the day he had the “accident” at or around 10am. These were all after the accident, up until about 10pm. Since then there has literally been nothing! Searchers have seemed to pull out but I don’t know why. Hoping he is safe somewhere but I really don’t have a good feeling about this.
I suppose it’s possible he is lost but the footage I’ve seen of him walking makes me think he could have made it home or at the very least ask for help. He didn’t seem to be struggling to walk or see. He was walking along side the road while traffic went by. Passed houses, gas stations, etc.
I’m just really really puzzled by this situation….
We need to post links from main stream media when posting quotes or pictures including any surveillance video. Don’t link any social media unless it’s an official search page, official LE pages or MSM pages. It’s ok to link to the victim or suspect’s social media. Keep in mind the suspect has to be named in main stream media. Family members or considered victims.

This is just a short version of “some” of the Terms of Service but you can search The rules for details. I hope this helps.

I also was confused by the meaning of he left “to go check on his camp”(perhaps because I’m a Californian?). “Camp”, to me, always conjured up an image of a location where people stay in tents or maybe an rv.

I found a description that explains it for this case’s context:

”When locals refer to “camps,” it means anything from a trailer on stilts to a mansion somewhere on water that isn’t a primary residence. Most all camps are raised high to avoid flooding using the space underneath for parking, storage and party space. Camps can have a single owner or be shared by family and friends with different people claiming different weekends and parts of the summer or even be rented out.”

Very interesting. I love that I learn new (to me) things here!

thank you
I was confused too since camp = tents/rv's/trailers here too
and a good ways from home cause it's like a vacation spot

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member