Taking Christ out of Christmas

Why thank you, Nova! You saved me a reply, lol! Well said!

You're welcome. You know how excited I get on those rare occasions when you and I agree. (I'm sure we have different understandings of some of the meanings of Christmas, but I applaud your understanding of the greater truth of symbolism over petty historical details such as who threw the first party in December.)

And how many people made each of those charges? One? Two? But each time, media outlets everywhere picked up the story and commentators whipped themselves into a fury over something that never had any traction in the first place.

It won't surprise you to hear that I live in a very liberal town in a notoriously liberal state and that most of my friends are passionate progressives. "Merry Christmas" is heard all the time in such areas and among such people. Nobody considers it a significant transgression.

It's mostly corporations (including the one I work for) that want their holiday greetings to be inclusive of non-Christians rather than exclusive. For the most part, that's a marketing decision, not an assault on Christian theology.

Sure corporations want to include Non-christians...that is why every single employee is off on Christmas. Of course, you don't hear non-christians complaining about that aspect. Ahhh...but I will bite my tongue now.

You're welcome. You know how excited I get on those rare occasions when you and I agree. (I'm sure we have different understandings of some of the meanings of Christmas, but I applaud your understanding of the greater truth of symbolism over petty historical details such as who threw the first party in December.)

Indeed!!!! Your overall wisdom is apparent, and always has been.

Did you know that the manger that Christ was born in, based on customs of the time, would have been a cave/grotto? Not the wooden shed that we think of. People kept their animals in caves or grottos carved out of rock for better protection from the elements, especially the cold.

Me too when I say it I dont even think of my faith I think I am being nice and wishing all a merry christmas

Me either....

Now, the day that I spit it out with a look of pure evil.... Just kidding!!! :truce:

Me either....

Now, the day that I spit it out with a look of pure evil.... Just kidding!!! :truce:
you are so funny I think soon we may all have to wave that flag so i fly mine in advance...LOL
:truce:

I am sure you of all people have seen me get worked up, only from the threads we post at...LOL I am just glad it is over..LOL

I don't know what the heck you did either, but I fought with a mod once and only got a 5 day TO, you've been gone over twice that, lol! (Granted the mod sort of started it which may have played a part.) :crazy:

I promise you, I take your wish for my Merry Christmas in exactly the spirit you intend. Thank you! :)

(Although I stand by my reasoning on the inclusiveness of certain holiday greetings, I don't think this is an issue where we need to beat up on anybody over her choice of words. And I don't think that happens very often, though, as I said, some businesses may require employees to use inclusive greetings. As is their right, surely.)

:blowkiss:

I agree. I really do. It honestly doesn't bother me to see Happy Holiday signs, etc. But it really works me over when I get criticized for saying Merry Christmas. But that's my doing...

Did you know that the manger that Christ was born in, based on customs of the time, would have been a cave/grotto? Not the wooden shed that we think of. People kept their animals in caves or grottos carved out of rock for better protection from the elements, especially the cold.

Yes, but how ugly would that be on your coffee table?? :p ;)

Yes! Greek Orthodox nativity icons always depict the cave.

I love the symmetry of Jesus' later entombment in a cave. And as a literature buff, I love the female symbolism of the "cave" :D

you are so funny I think soon we may all have to wave that flag so i fly mine in advance...LOL
:truce:

LOL!!! I'm sure I'll be waving it many times before it's all said and done.

I don't know what the heck you did either, but I fought with a mod once and only got a 5 day TO, you've been gone over twice that, lol! (Granted the mod sort of started it which may have played a part.) :crazy:
yeah so i had A 30 day to, but got a day shaved off for good behavior..LOL I think it has to due with the fact it was the same poster I "fought" with the first time I was toed.....dumb me...LOL

yeah so i had A 30 day to, but got a day shaved off for good behavior..LOL I think it has to due with the fact it was the same poster I "fought" with the first time I was toed.....dumb me...LOL

Woman! Don't you learn?! Stay away from "that" poster!!

Neither one of you understand the greater truth....because it's a lie! Christ was not even born in December! The Bible even gives clues to when he was born which are not anywhere near December. WHY didn't they make his birth date closer to when it actually could have happened? Because they wanted to destroy the pagan celebrations! That is my point. Those petty historical details are what gave you all your Christmas.

And I just think it's kind of funny that all of the people who get upset about being PC actually feel like their holiday is being stolen from them when their ancestors stole it to begin with! Karma is a b*tch.

Merry Christmas & Happy Yule

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
#MadMax210
Back