Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

From presser:
  • Suspect in custody: Jose Antonio Iberra
  • Not U.S citizen, lived in Athens.
  • Charged with malice murder, felony murder, aggravated battery, aggravated assault, false imprisonment, kidnapping, hindering 911 call, concealing death of another
  • Team effort among various law enforcement agencies
  • Evidence is robust, including video from campus
  • Continuing to collect evidence
Edited to correct name of suspect.
Bbm.
Good news !

Ibarra is not a U.S. citizen and was not a student at UGA, according to UGA police.

“This is an individual who woke up with bad intentions on that day,” UGA police chief Jeff Clark said.

"I think this was a crime of opportunity, where he saw an individual and bad things happened," Clark said.

"The evidence suggests that this was a solo act," he said.

Good luck going anywhere as a woman or a young girl without unwanted attention.
attention is one thing and being bashed in the head and killed is another. what is wrong with these murderers? Is killing just the most fun thing in their lives? Do they all think that they will never be caught? Are they proud and happy after this? I used to think is it just some atavistic throw back to reptile days and their hind brain just causes them to kill like a wild animal? ... lions in the Serengeti... gecko eats a fly...

View attachment 485701View attachment 485702
Sketch of RM perp to Jose Ibarra...
not totally dissimilar.... we need to see his back :(

Wouldn't that be something ... if they could close RM's killing as well ?
At least another family could have answers and hopefully justice.
Omo.
I really doubt it. That guy seems to be a bit of a drifter, and it appears this guy had lived in this area for some time (although we have no idea how long).

DNA would link him quickly though, one way or the other.

Thank you. Sketches look identical to this suspect. Infuriating.
I'm curious how you think they look identical? They look like completely different people to me, aside from both appearing to be Hispanic. The features are totally different IMO. Very defined nose and flared nostrils in the sketches, defined cheekbones, and a defined jawline. The nose of the guy in the photo is not very defined, no defined nostrils, fairly chubby face with no defined jawline, and the face shapes look completely different. Earlobes are different as well as eyebrow structure. What am I missing?

*Edited to add the thing about earlobes and eyebrows.

I used to think is it just some atavistic throw back to reptile days and their hind brain just causes them to kill like a wild animal? ... lions in the Serengeti... gecko eats a fly...
I must ask why that is no longer your thinking and what you think now.

Every time I read another story about a predator I get a mental image of a lion stalking their prey.

Wouldn't that be something ... if they could close RM's killing as well ?
At least another family could have answers and hopefully justice.
Omo.
It sure would be something. I can definitely see a resemblance, but I’m also cautious as I know sketches are not 100% accurate. Heck, if a sketch artist asked me to describe my husband whom I’ve lived with for 25 years, I may have a hard time doing so.

I'm curious how you think they look identical? They look like completely different people to me, aside from both appearing to be Hispanic. The features are totally different IMO. Very defined nose and flared nostrils in the sketches, defined cheekbones, and a defined jawline. The nose of the guy in the photo is not very defined, no defined nostrils, fairly chubby face with no defined jawline, and the face shapes look completely different. Earlobes are different as well as eyebrow structure. What am I missing?

Agreed. They look nothing alike. This guy is chubbier for starters. You did a great job listing all the obvious differences. Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread on a pointless tangent.

I must ask why that is no longer your thinking and what you think now.

Every time I read another story about a predator I get a mental image of a lion stalking their prey.
not sure... traditional hunting no longer as popular but the human species still has instincts I guess. I wonder if they even know what they did or fully remember- is it like vomiting when you are sick or blocking something coming for your face? Just a reflex? "I saw a pretty one, so I killed her as fast as possible." No evolution?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
Back to Laken , if no robbery , assault, or revenge (it appears they didn't know each other) -- what the heck would've been a motive ?
Crimes like these are esp. terrifying because there may not be a motive.
He felt like killing that day , and that was it ?
Sounds like he may have lived there for a while, so maybe no connection to last years' murder of RM; but what other crimes has he committed ?
Maybe he's guilty of simple stalking or harassment, but that seems like a large leap to go to murder !
Omo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps just a case of mistaken identity. Someone online with that name resembles the sketches very strongly but prob just an unlucky coincidence. MOO

not sure... traditional hunting no longer as popular but the human species still has instincts I guess. I wonder if they even know what they did or fully remember- is it like vomiting when you are sick or blocking something coming for your face? Just a reflex? "I saw a pretty one, so I killed her as fast as possible." No evolution?
I think of criminal predators as incapable of seeing other people as fellow humans. They are missing something in their brains or hearts. I think they are so incredibly self-centered that they don't care if their actions harm others.

If you respect others as fellow people, you don't consider the idea of hurting them (except in self-defense). Civilization depends on this.

I just don't think criminals think or feel as we do so it's almost impossible to understand them, and I don't think it's primitive instinct on their part but rather they are missing a human element themselves. Maybe the simple description is "evil."

jmo

<modsnip>

Back to Laken , if no robbery , assault, or revenge (it appears they didn't know each other) -- what the heck would've been a motive ?
Crimes like these are esp. terrifying because there may not be a motive.
He felt like killing that day , and that was it ?
Sounds like he may have lived there for a while, so maybe no connection to last years' murder of RM; but what other crimes has he committed ?
Maybe he's guilty of simple stalking or harassment, but that seems like a large leap to go to murder !
Omo.
Right? Unless his goal was SA and she fought back, he intercepted her 911 call and became more angry and heard people in the distance and decided he needed to end her life so she wouldn’t be able to divulge his identity, that’s all I can think of. Murder is definitely so extreme, just why?

Last edited by a moderator:
attention is one thing and being bashed in the head and killed is another. what is wrong with these murderers? Is killing just the most fun thing in their lives? Do they all think that they will never be caught? Are they proud and happy after this? I used to think is it just some atavistic throw back to reptile days and their hind brain just causes them to kill like a wild animal? ... lions in the Serengeti... gecko eats a fly...
The distinction is that the gecko eats the fly as a food source and when full won't kill, whereas human sociopaths kill for some sort of pleasure whether it be sexual or other.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipstar2
Back