Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't just the silence.

It was that one strange statement Bertolino put out on behalf of his clients that made it sound like G was someone that worked at one of their juice stands 20 years ago and never saw again.
Bertolino is an attorney putting out a statement. If it sounded overly formally, that was likely his attempt to write in a professional manner. It could havve been more informal but that was not likely his writing style. It's likely the Laundries deferred to their attorney to write the statement. Lots of clients would do the same.

Bertolino is an attorney putting out a statement. If it sounded overly formally, that was likely his attempt to write in a professional manner. It could havve been more informal but that was not likely his writing style. It's likely the Laundries deferred to their attorney to write the statement. Lots of clients would do the same.
Yes.

At the time the statement was released I doubt anyone thought they would get sued because of it. JMO.

The lawsuit ended only because both parties agreed to a settlement.

This had nothing to do with a crime, civil court is liability. Criminal court is for criminal charges.

The "liable party" paid. When all is said and done the Laundries paid the Petitos, the "injured party."

2 Cents

Do you have a link that indicates that the Laundries paid the Petitos as a result of the mediation agreement? I thought it was confidential. Also, with regard to amediated resolution, I don't think there is an "injured party." Unless that was part of the mediation agreemnet to use those terms, but if that is the case we will never know since the resolution is confidential.

The Laundries believed the van belonged to BL. The below quote is from Roberta Laundries deposition.

Q. If Gabby had just walked off on her own, would you have told your son to drive home in her van with all of her stuff in it?

A. No. I didn't tell him to drive home. He just said he was on his way home, and I thought it was just a nice gesture that he put it in her name.

Q. Well, you told me the title -- that you saw the title was in Gabby's name, so why would you think it was Brian's van?

A. Because I believed he paid for it. He worked on it.
I knew that she couldn't afford to pay for her or didn't want to pay for her -- she was leasing a car and she didn't want -- and Brian was paying for the lease, and she finally drove home and left the car at her parents' house, and so I think he just wanted to put the van in her name to be nice, but I don't remember her ever driving it even.

BBM. I wonder if the vehicle insurance was in Brian's name and that's why GP never drove it. The first thing Moab LE would have asked for after pulling the van over was the van's license/registration/insurance.

JMO

I don’t know how I feel about that statement, “Both lost children.”
The pain and suffering of the Petito family was much worse than the Laundries.
RSBM

I'm looking at it a different way, I guess.

If someone murdered one of my kids -- I know I'd be in incredible pain, and probably anger for a good long while as well.

But not only did both sets of parents lose a child -- the Laundries bear the additional burden of having to face that their child was a killer.

That's adding a whole 'nother emotional burden--because they don't even get to have good memories of their child. They don't get to watch old videos and have warm feelings because their child did something that erases all those feelings. Like the Petitos, I'm sure the Laundries grieve for their son whom they will never see again, but unlike the Petitos, they don't have the privledge of putting BL's photos on the mantle and acting proud of him when visitors comment. Instead, they will bear a shame for something that wasn't their fault.

And, because of that shame, they will likely never be able to grieve their son outwardly. I think that's a horrendous burden to bear.

So, in MHO, both sets of parents are victims, but the Petitos can move forward and hold their heads up -- the Laundries don't have that prerogative.

I can't think of anything worse than losing my child. Except perhaps losing my child and finding out he/she is a murderer.

They walk in very lonely shoes.

Zero sympathy from me. I have been wondering if the protestors will return at some point. I would not be surprised.

That would surprise me, but anything can happen, I suppose. I would hope, however, that they respect the Petito's decision to move on with their lives and put this conflict behind them.

I guess I can't see any reason anyone else would try to insert themselves in this case.

Both sets of parents have my sympathy. The only one I genuinely abhor is Brian, but he's dead.

I respect the Petito's decision to settle. The ball was in their court--they were the ones who filed the suit and they were the only ones who could let it go.

Perhaps it's just too hard for them to keep the anger alive. I don't know -- that's all just MOO.

BBM. I wonder if the vehicle insurance was in Brian's name and that's why GP never drove it. The first thing Moab LE would have asked for after pulling the van over was the van's license/registration/insurance.

JMO
That could be. I kind of thought it might just be a traditional male/female thing where he did the driving and she just rode along.

RSBM

If someone murdered one of my kids -- I know I'd be in incredible pain, and probably anger for a good long while as well.

But not only did both sets of parents lose a child -- the Laundries bear the additional burden of having to face that their child was a killer.

That's adding a whole 'nother emotional burden--because they don't even get to have good memories of their child. They don't get to watch old videos and have warm feelings because their child did something that erases all those feelings. Like the Petitos, I'm sure the Laundries grieve for their son whom they will never see again, but unlike the Petitos, they don't have the privledge of putting BL's photos on the mantle and acting proud of him when visitors comment. Instead, they will bear a shame for something that wasn't their fault.

And, because of that shame, they will likely never be able to grieve their son outwardly. I think that's a horrendous burden to bear.

So, in MHO, both sets of parents are victims, but the Petitos can move forward and hold their heads up -- the Laundries don't have that prerogative.

I can't think of anything worse than losing my child. Except perhaps losing my child and finding out he/she is a murderer.

I think the Laundries have a strong support system and that's how they have gotten through all of this. I remember seeing a news report that there was a florist delivering multiple arrangements to their home after BL's remains were found.

They have their love for each other, their daughter and grandchildren. I think they also have strong faith that will help guide them forward.

JMO

Do you have a link that indicates that the Laundries paid the Petitos as a result of the mediation agreement? I thought it was confidential. Also, with regard to amediated resolution, I don't think there is an "injured party." Unless that was part of the mediation agreemnet to use those terms, but if that is the case we will never know since the resolution is confidential.

Petitos specifically said they reached a settlement and because of that they do not need to go to trial.
I posted links and definition of settlement. A settlement means the defendants paid the injured party, the plaintiffs, and plaintiffs agree to not go to trial, so no May trial.

2 Cents

RSBM

Very well said.

Petitos specifically said they reached a settlement and because of that they do not need to go to trial.
I posted links and definition of settlement. A settlement means the defendants paid the injured party, the plaintiffs, and plaintiffs agree to not go to trial, so no May trial.

2 Cents
My understanding is that the Laundries also reached a settlement. Does that mean that the Petitos paid them as well?

JMO
I know months ago there was discussion on WS suggesting the van insurance might have been tacked onto the Laundries' policy. While BL might have paid for the insurance, since the van was in GP's name I don't see how adding it to the parents' policy could work. I'm also not sure it's possible for a car insurance policy to exclude the titleholder as a driver. So who purchased the policy shouldn't have affected GP's ability to drive the van. But during the Moab stop when LE decided to separate them for the night, GP said she usually didn't drive the van and was concerned about having to drive it very far. (LE did verify she had a clear license.)

I think there was another place she expressed reluctance to drive because of the van's size and not liking to use mirrors. I think it was in one of the van life videos. But right now that has to be JMO.

That would surprise me, but anything can happen, I suppose. I would hope, however, that they respect the Petito's decision to move on with their lives and put this conflict behind them.

I guess I can't see any reason anyone else would try to insert themselves in this case.

Both sets of parents have my sympathy. The only one I genuinely abhor is Brian, but he's dead.

I respect the Petito's decision to settle. The ball was in their court--they were the ones who filed the suit and they were the only ones who could let it go.

Perhaps it's just too hard for them to keep the anger alive. I don't know -- that's all just MOO.
Bbm, oh nobody ever did, or would protest the Petitos and Schmidts. They have many supporters worldwide who pray for them including me and many here and everywhere jme

2 Cents
Here are the public statements by GP's family and their attorney. The word "settlement" is not mentioned.

JMO

Here is the statement from Joseph and Tara Petito and Nichole and James Schmidt:
After a long day of mediation, a confidential resolution has been reached between the parents of Gabby Petitio, the parents of Brian Laundrie and Attorney Steven Bertolino to which all parties reluctantly agreed in order to avoid further legal expenses and prolonged personal conflict. Our hope is to close this chapter of our lives to allow us to move on and continue to honor the legacy of our beautiful daughter, Gabby.

Attorney Patrick J. Reilly also released a statement:
Joe and Tara Petito, along with Niki and Jim Schmidt, have endured a difficult and emotional 2 ½ years, resulting in a resolution through mediation on February 21, 2024. Throughout this time, the primary objective of Gabby Petito’s family in pursuing litigation was to seek answers to lingering questions. Having obtained those answers through depositions, their focus now shifts to spending time with and prioritizing their families and fostering the Gabby Petito Foundation. As a result, they have decided not to take part in any interviews. Nonetheless, they wish to extend their heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to all who have supported them during these trying times.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2024/02/22/family-gabby-petito-releases-statement-after-civil-suit-is-settled/

I think it actually means that the Petitos didn't want to take a chance with a jury trial in their lawsuit. For the Laundries, I don't think they had deep pockets to keep at it with the trial, etc. so settling was likely their motivation.

It was stated what it means.....

The lawsuit was settled in order to avoid further legal expenses and prolonged personal conflict.

Here are the public statements by GP's family and their attorney. The word "settlement" is not mentioned.

JMO

Here is the statement from Joseph and Tara Petito and Nichole and James Schmidt:
After a long day of mediation, a confidential resolution has been reached between the parents of Gabby Petitio, the parents of Brian Laundrie and Attorney Steven Bertolino to which all parties reluctantly agreed in order to avoid further legal expenses and prolonged personal conflict. Our hope is to close this chapter of our lives to allow us to move on and continue to honor the legacy of our beautiful daughter, Gabby.

Attorney Patrick J. Reilly also released a statement:
Joe and Tara Petito, along with Niki and Jim Schmidt, have endured a difficult and emotional 2 ½ years, resulting in a resolution through mediation on February 21, 2024. Throughout this time, the primary objective of Gabby Petito’s family in pursuing litigation was to seek answers to lingering questions. Having obtained those answers through depositions, their focus now shifts to spending time with and prioritizing their families and fostering the Gabby Petito Foundation. As a result, they have decided not to take part in any interviews. Nonetheless, they wish to extend their heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to all who have supported them during these trying times.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2024/02/22/family-gabby-petito-releases-statement-after-civil-suit-is-settled/

After a protracted legal battle marked by anguish and the nation’s rapt attention, the parents of Gabby Petito have reached a settlement.

Gabby Petito's Parents Finalize Settlement with Brian Laundrie's Family to Conclude Emotional Distress Suit
1708900332151.png
The parents of slain New York woman Gabby Petito say they have reached a settlement in their suit against the parents of Brian Laundrie, the man who admitted responsibility for her death, as well as his parents’ attorney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member