GUILTY FL - Tiffany Eunick, 6, beaten to death, Pembroke Park, 28 July 1999

Some kids don't commit more crimes as adults. For the ones that do, let those crimes stand on their own merit. If they pass the age of 18 and commit a capital offense, I say ta ta to them - that's the end of the line, IMO.

Firstly I will say i am sorry for your loss,and that I pray justice will in some way find its way for them.

As for the portion I quote here I fully understand not all killers go on to kill again.Wonderful for them I'm happy they finally saw the light of day.Unfortunately the only way we have to find out is to hold our breath and release them out amongst ourselves.this is a wonerful option for those who don't pursue furher mayhem,but a terrible option for the victims of those who do.The only sure fire way to insure ourselves that a killer will never kill again is to execute him.I am not willing to risk my life or that of my loved ones by saying age matters.Tate has shown he has no regards for human life,he was blessed with a 2nd chance by those willing to risk the lives of innocent people.Now he shows that this 2nd chance was a waste of time and once again our judicial system must deal with him.How many chances does he get?If people have problems executing 12 yr olds my number is in the book call me.besides by the time his appeals were exhausted he'd be in his 30's....nothin to it really,just say good night and push the plunger.future victims would be ever so glad we did.

proadvocate said:
Some kids don't commit more crimes as adults. For the ones that do, let those crimes stand on their own merit. If they pass the age of 18 and commit a capital offense, I say ta ta to them - that's the end of the line, IMO.

Firstly I will say i am sorry for your loss,and that I pray justice will in some way find its way for them.

As for the portion I quote here I fully understand not all killers go on to kill again.Wonderful for them I'm happy they finally saw the light of day.Unfortunately the only way we have to find out is to hold our breath and release them out amongst ourselves.this is a wonerful option for those who don't pursue furher mayhem,but a terrible option for the victims of those who do.The only sure fire way to insure ourselves that a killer will never kill again is to execute him.I am not willing to risk my life or that of my loved ones by saying age matters.Tate has shown he has no regards for human life,he was blessed with a 2nd chance by those willing to risk the lives of innocent people.Now he shows that this 2nd chance was a waste of time and once again our judicial system must deal with him.How many chances does he get?If people have problems executing 12 yr olds my number is in the book call me.besides by the time his appeals were exhausted he'd be in his 30's....nothin to it really,just say good night and push the plunger.future victims would be ever so glad we did.

Thanks very much.

We don't have a crystal ball that will tell us which kids will reoffend. I'm for spending some of that 20-year defense appellate money on some programs that may help them out of whatever situation that led a 12-year old to kill someone in the first place and try and lead them in the right direction instead of housing them with even worse offenders. We don't know what criminal behavior he possessed before and how much was picked up while he was on the inside. Maybe if we execute the adults that were given the death penalty over the last 15 years, it would send a stronger message to kids that "hey, they're not kidding. If I do this and I'm gonna die." Some may not be affected, but some may.

Here you are 110% correct,The more thugs we send to the chamber the greaater chance we have of fnding the elusive deterrant value of the dp as a whole.It has and always will be my contention that we as a nation need a mandatory death sentence for all crimes of murder,barring those of self defense.I fully believe that if instead of patting those like Tate on the back and saying please don't kill again,we would as a society gain far more by saying you killed we killed.Harsh,yes,unrealistic in todays liberal minded society,yes again.But the only way we will ever get the message thru to these thugs that murder is inexcusable is to lead them to the chamber each and every time 1 of them kills.There is no deterrent value to be gained from 2nd chances.Murder is not a disease or ailment so there can be no cure or "rehab".Murder is in ad of itself the most heinous crime any member of society can comitt,as such it deserves the most heinous punishment.Age,race,sex,religion,drugs,money,no excuses you kill we kill....that is a fair and just system.

The ability to carry out the sentence in a reasonable time would be a deterrent for some. Acclerate the appellate action, instead of 3-4 years, make it 6-12 months. Then execute if and when the cases are not exonerated. 20 years are death row costs the victim's family untold hardship.

In the event of a life sentence, make it a life sentence. Don't let these creeps out before they have served the time. Most do re-offend.

I am not ready to execute a 12 year old either but I don't think they should be let out on the street without extensive counseling for a long period of time. For whatever caused them to commit a murder is a long standing deep psychological problem and one that will not go away with 2 years in juvy.

Based on current averages nationwide,a defendant who murdered at the age of 12 would be between 18 and 35 at the time of his execution.Well within acceptable limits.It would be nice if there were ways to treat these individuals and cure just what ever it was which caused their propensity to murder others.However to date medical science has been unable to pinpoint any 1 single cause for such actions,thus making treatment impossible.The age of a defendant should never be a factor....try telling the mom of the little girl Tate beat to death how sweet and innocent he is.Perhaps his supporters would like to invite him over to babysit their kids?Murder is murder,it matters not if the killer is 12 or 112,someone still burys a loved 1.We cannot treat the unknown,we cannot rehab the vast majority of criminals as evidenced by the high rate of 2nd offenses.Tate was held in the Fla prison system for several yrs,he had the opportunity to continue his education,he had the chance to learn a trade,and he had a chance to attend many programs aimed towards the management of his anger issues.Did he take advantage?Apparently not.If Tate had been properly sentenced and the sentence had been upheld by our judicial system,we would not be dealing with him out here robbing folks would we?How many people do we allow to murder and comitt crimes before we realize some people are simply incapable of living in a free setting?

proadvocate said:
Based on current averages nationwide,a defendant who murdered at the age of 12 would be between 18 and 35 at the time of his execution.Well within acceptable limits.It would be nice if there were ways to treat these individuals and cure just what ever it was which caused their propensity to murder others.However to date medical science has been unable to pinpoint any 1 single cause for such actions,thus making treatment impossible.The age of a defendant should never be a factor....try telling the mom of the little girl Tate beat to death how sweet and innocent he is.Perhaps his supporters would like to invite him over to babysit their kids?Murder is murder,it matters not if the killer is 12 or 112,someone still burys a loved 1.We cannot treat the unknown,we cannot rehab the vast majority of criminals as evidenced by the high rate of 2nd offenses.Tate was held in the Fla prison system for several yrs,he had the opportunity to continue his education,he had the chance to learn a trade,and he had a chance to attend many programs aimed towards the management of his anger issues.Did he take advantage?Apparently not.If Tate had been properly sentenced and the sentence had been upheld by our judicial system,we would not be dealing with him out here robbing folks would we?How many people do we allow to murder and comitt crimes before we realize some people are simply incapable of living in a free setting?

Depending on the mental diagnosis of the defendant (which CAN be pinpointed in many cases), treatment is many times effective. Each should be determined on its own merits.

"Murder" is not always murder the way you wrote. Intent is what needs to be considered. A first degree cold blooded murder is different than someone having a bar room brawl that ends up with the death of one of the participants. If the person didn't intend to kill someone in that instance, it can hardly be compared to sayy someone like Ted Bundy, who set out to actually kill someone in cold blood.

I don't think anyone ever said Tate was "sweet and innocent" and I don't think we necessarily need to be a "supporter" of his simply because the thought of executing a 12-year old seems ridiculous to us. The answer to the "babysitting" question of course is "no," but there aren't too many people on this earth I would leave my children with.

As I said, even though I don't believe in executing a child, I do think that any further crimes that he's committed since then need to be dealt with. Living in a "free setting" and executing someone hardly compare, but I do agree with you that there were programs in place while he was locked up. I haven't heard which ones, if any, he participated in.

Lionel Tate gets 30-year sentence

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Lionel Tate was sentenced today to 30 years in prison for violating probation, the latest legal twist for the teenager convicted of killing a 6-year-old girl in what his attorneys initially claimed was a pro wrestling move.

Tate, now 19, was convicted of beating Tiffany Eunick to death in 1999, when he was 12.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/3872318.html

"Fla. teen gets 30 years for gun possession"

Thursday, May 18, 2006 · FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.​

Lionel Tate was sentenced Thursday to 30 years in prison for violating probation, the latest legal twist for the teenager convicted of murdering a 6-year-old girl in what his attorneys initially claimed was a pro wrestling move.

In the latest case, Tate had faced 10 to 30 years in prison on charges of violating his probation by having a gun and robbing a pizza delivery man last year.

The judge on Thursday let him withdraw his guilty plea in the May 2005 robbery but still sentenced him on the gun charge. The robbery trial is set for Sept. 18.

Even defense attorney H. Dohn Williams didn't understand why Tate would want to go to trial on the robbery charge, given that a conviction could bring a life sentence in addition to the 30 years for the probation violation.

Tate could have simply received 30 years total for both charges under the deal.

"He continues to get bad advice from meddling third parties," Williams said outside court.

Williams said Tate's mother, Florida Highway Patrol trooper Kathleen Grossett-Tate, has told him he could win an appeal on the probation violation conviction, win his robbery case and leave jail in a year. She left court without commenting.

EDITED BY DP DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. SEE LINK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE.

13th Juror

Jules said:
Lionel Tate gets 30-year sentence

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Lionel Tate was sentenced today to 30 years in prison for violating probation, the latest legal twist for the teenager convicted of killing a 6-year-old girl in what his attorneys initially claimed was a pro wrestling move.

Tate, now 19, was convicted of beating Tiffany Eunick to death in 1999, when he was 12.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/3872318.html

I am so glad that this kid is going to be locked up for 30 years. I hope they mean 30 yrs and not 1/3 of 30 years. I believe in my heart that he killed that little girl on purpose. Even at his age then... he knew what he was doing. I listened to that little girl's mother in court when his sentence was reversed and it just broke my heart. Tate's mother can take some of the blame for that little girl dying. She never should have agreed to babysit when she knew she would be napping and the kids would be alone. I always wondered if she told that mother that she would be napping...not watching her daughter.

I think Tate's mother is in complete denial about the problems her son has.
She is in law enforcement. She leaves her guns where this kid can get ahold of them. Does she still have her job? She didn't impress me in court that day.
Her heart should have been breaking for the mother of that little girl. But I don't think that it was. Her focus was on her son and that he wasn't going to have to serve as much time.

In my day we were taught to look up to law enforcement officials, teachers, etc. I still tend to expect a lot from a law enforcement official even though I know a lot of them have feet of clay just through my own experience when my daughter was murdered.

This guy could have gotten outta jail and started his life over...instead he's out there screwing up again!

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Lionel Tate, whose killing of a 6-year-old girl once made him the youngest person in modern U.S. history sentenced to life in prison, accepted a plea deal Tuesday in a pizza robbery that occurred while he was out on probation.
Tate, 21, is already serving 30 years behind bars for violating his probation in the murder case. Under an agreement with prosecutors, Tate pleaded no contest to the May 2005 robbery of a pizza delivery man but will serve no additional prison time.
Tate attorney Jim Lewis said the 10-year sentence for the robbery conviction will run at the same time as the probation violation sentence. Lewis said he will continue to press to reduce Tate's total sentence to 10 years.
"This is definitely a good outcome for him and hopefully it's not the end," Lewis said. "Thirty years is too much. Lionel has made mistakes. But I think 10 years is plenty of punishment."
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331293,00.html

HIM!!!!!!! That was such a sad, sad case. I think his mother and the little girls mom were friends. Lionel Tate just can't behave. If I recall correctly the little girls mom didn't want him to serve a sentence too long. Well, we got Lionel Tate out there. Well we did. Lucky he didn't kill anyone else.

Tate's case was on American Justice a couple weeks ago. That kid knew exactly what he was doing when that little girl died. His mother was supposed to be babysitting the little girl but instead went upstairs to take a nap and left the two kids alone. After that little girl died Tate asked her mother "can I have her toys?" He was about 6 years older then her. The story on American Justice was really interesting and showed how things couldln't have happened like Tate said that they did.

I think this kid is right where he belongs. He had the chance to behave himself when he was released but he didn't. Now the law can stick to their word and he can serve the 30 years that they promised.

LT is nothing but a . He just cannot stay out of trouble. Sorry but he belongs locked up.

I never believed it was an accident either. Yes, he is a and when he gets caught, he plays the "I have a low IQ" card. He will keep getting in trouble until he is locked up for good. :mad:

I never believed it was an accident either. Yes, he is a and when he gets caught, he plays the "I have a low IQ" card. He will keep getting in trouble until he is locked up for good. :mad:

I saw his attorney on either Nancy or Greta a couple nights ago and he played the low IQ card too. He said that he is going to go before the judge and ask that the sentence be reduced from the 30 years because little LT doesn't deserve that much of a sentence. He said that he thinks that the judge thought that LT had the gun but he was really an innocent kid that made the call for the pizza and had nothing to do with the robbery! He did know that the others were going to steal the rest of the pizza's but he only made the call so he wasn't really involved. PLEASE! It doesn't matter who held the gun. The driver of a get away car is just as guilty as the men who go into the bank and rob it! If he can't talk to the judge then he will file an appeal! If you ask me, LT had his chance and he blew it.

I saw his mom in court and she was saying "I'm just sick of all of this *advertiser censored*" She was carrying on about the police and the law like it was all their fault! Now wonder her kid blames everyone else.

I saw his mom in court and she was saying "I'm just sick of all of this *advertiser censored*" She was carrying on about the police and the law like it was all their fault! Now wonder her kid blames everyone else.
Oh wow. That explains a lot!!

Lionel's mother was a police officer at the time Tiffany was killed. She knew Lionel had problems, but still left Tiffany alone with him while she took a nap! The following is an excerpt from a 2004 CNN interview with Tiffany's mother.

Tiffany's future was bright, and my dreams for her were even brighter. I had so many dreams for my daughter, but these dreams were all taken away when I trusted -- someone I thought that was a caring police officer. I trusted a woman that I thought was a caring mother. I trusted a woman I thought that would properly supervise my baby.

//transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0401/29/se.02.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back