Hurricane Gustav

I just hope it goes far enough West that we don't get the East side of the storm. IMO, it is a lose-lose situation because either way somewhere is going to get this storm. Let's just hope by the grace of God it fizzles out (unlikely, I know).

I truly don't know if New Orleans could ever be made hurricane proof.....it's below sea level.

I do like Bobby Jindal's very pro-active hurricane plans, especially when compared to Kathleen Blanco's approach........of course, he has the advantage of having seen what happened with Katrina. His plan calls for contra-flow to begin early, he's got busses lined up to take those without transportation, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the PEOPLE of New Orleans will be in a MUCH safer position this time, provided they follow evacuation orders!

Kgeaux, this tracking looks like it is going into Vermillion Bay. If so, you guys will get a big brunt of this storm.

http://weather.myfoxtampabay.com/maps/WTVT/custom/storms/gustav_track.html

Im majorly stressing now. We just got everything fixed from Rita now it looks like we may be having more to do. I dont think our home with last another hurricane.

Im majorly stressing now. We just got everything fixed from Rita now it looks like we may be having more to do. I dont think our home with last another hurricane.

I'm so sorry Amanda, I'm praying safety above all else for everyone in the storms path. Thank you fellow WS for your prayers.

South Central Ms. here......DD's birthday is Sept. 1st...when Katrina hit, she got the power back on for her birthday :(..she will be 15 Monday.....I hope history doesn't reapeat itself...to all my WS friends and peeps...and everyone else too.....we are gonna be fine ya'll.....just tighten things up, and lock 'em down. Please look out for yourselves afterword now, we didn't take it seriously when Ms. Katrina was coming. We lived off convenience store sardines and jerky for almost a week. But we were thankful for it.

South Central Ms. here......DD's birthday is Sept. 1st...when Katrina hit, she got the power back on for her birthday :(..she will be 15 Monday.....I hope history doesn't reapeat itself...to all my WS friends and peeps...and everyone else too.....we are gonna be fine ya'll.....just tighten things up, and lock 'em down. Please look out for yourselves afterword now, we didn't take it seriously when Ms. Katrina was coming. We lived off convenience store sardines and jerky for almost a week. But we were thankful for it.

My little girls birthday is september 1st too. She will be four. Im sooooo hoping it goes away. I dont want it to hit anyone.

I just don't think it's going to hit New Orleans. I hope I'm right. I just think the track keeps shifting West and it's going to continue to. I live about an hr. North of N.O. and all of my family is in N.O. So, I guess it's just wishfull thinking. I feel that it's a little to early for their to be a very accurate prediction of the track Gustav will take.

HI, LanieCoz!
I am in Louisiana, but in the northern section. I do have family a little south of Covington and also just off of Lake Ponchatrain. They had to move horses in Hurricane Katrina further away from the water and they did survive. My brother and his family came up here.
Now they are having to prepare again.
My neice is married to a doctor, and they will not leave. I have a sister in Houston, Texas, and a brother in Seminole, Florida. We are all spread out, LOL!

In my city in north Louisiana, all hotel/motel rooms are booked already for this weekend, but no influx of people yet. It was reported on my local news that hotel/motel rooms all the way to Longview, Texas, are mostly booked beginning for Saturday. Our city is already preparing shelters for people should the worst happen.

PLEASE stay safe! With any luck at all, the worst will not happen. I am keeping everyone in my prayers! Maybe this thing will just not happen!

:blowkiss:

I truly don't know if New Orleans could ever be made hurricane proof.....it's below sea level.

I do like Bobby Jindal's very pro-active hurricane plans, especially when compared to Kathleen Blanco's approach........of course, he has the advantage of having seen what happened with Katrina. His plan calls for contra-flow to begin early, he's got busses lined up to take those without transportation, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the PEOPLE of New Orleans will be in a MUCH safer position this time, provided they follow evacuation orders!

Stay safe, kgeaux!

Yes, I like Jindal's pro-active appraoch. Better safe than sorry! Katrina was a disaster proving just how weak the evacuation plans were when put to the real test. Some of that was Blanco's delayed reactions, tho.

The 'bowl' that New Orleans is in cannot be made hurricane safe, IMO. Here is a major city built in an area that will forever be threatened by hurricanes. Katrina took so much from everyone and the rebuilding has been slow and and hard. I pray that this will downgrade, weaken, and just go away! The area can withstand a weak tropical storm, but nothing greater than that!

Oh Poco-it doesn't look good does it? We will leave on Sunday if necessary, got all our Family in TX that we haven't seen since March of last year. I'm praying for all of us, be safe and be sure to think with your head and not your heart this time,lol!

HI, LanieCoz!
I am in Louisiana, but in the northern section. I do have family a little south of Covington and also just off of Lake Ponchatrain. They had to move horses in Hurricane Katrina further away from the water and they did survive. My brother and his family came up here.
Now they are having to prepare again.
My neice is married to a doctor, and they will not leave. I have a sister in Houston, Texas, and a brother in Seminole, Florida. We are all spread out, LOL!

In my city in north Louisiana, all hotel/motel rooms are booked already for this weekend, but no influx of people yet. It was reported on my local news that hotel/motel rooms all the way to Longview, Texas, are mostly booked beginning for Saturday. Our city is already preparing shelters for people should the worst happen.

PLEASE stay safe! With any luck at all, the worst will not happen. I am keeping everyone in my prayers! Maybe this thing will just not happen!

Thank you. My family is also spread all over. I'm in Hammond, La and my fiance', his mother, and myselft have decided not to evacuate either way. However I have many family members on the westbank and the laffite area. Also, family around the B.R. area, Lafayette area, and Shreveport area. Seems like no matter where it hits, if it hits in LA some one I know is going to be effected by it.

I'll tell you though, I don't know many that are not taking this warning serious. Thank God for that, we def. don't want the caos we had for Katrina. My best friend told me that they called to reserve some rooms and couldn't find any closer than North Arkansas. Good luck to you and your family. I'll keep everyone in my prayers.

Kgeaux, this tracking looks like it is going into Vermillion Bay. If so, you guys will get a big brunt of this storm.

http://weather.myfoxtampabay.com/maps/WTVT/custom/storms/gustav_track.html

Oh, Lordy! Well, we've got our water, food and batteries stocked up. All my big trees have been trimmed up, no dead wood to fly around! And the roof is new! Hubby is checking on the generator........and I am praying Gustav takes a wild westerly turn AND loses power significantly as he approaches land. BUT if he doesn't, our bags are packed and our cars are gassed up.

Stay blessed, everyone. Stay safe!

i'm 6 hrs north of the coast in ms and there are no rooms here. those of you who might need to evacuate please start thinking now. you can always cancel your room if it isn't coming your way!

uhaG_2_640x480.gif

I live in Thibodaux La... I want all to know I am praying for all in the path of Hurricane Gustav... Please stay safe and let us all at WS know how you are during the hurricane.

I live in Thibodaux La... I want all to know I am praying for all in the path of Hurricane Gustav... Please stay safe and let us all at WS know how you are during the hurricane.
cindy, all my "peeps" are in Houma/Morgan City. I'm staying in close contact with them; they just refuse to leave! Please be safe and stay dry!

When Katrina hit, people had not gotten hotel/motel reservations early enough. I think that is why all hotel/motel rooms were reserved so far in advance here in north Louisiana.
I went yesterday afternoon to help get the Ike Hamilton Pavillion shelter supplied. It would be absolutely great if none of this will be needed, but not enough people were ready in Katrina. This time we will be better prepared.
My prayers are that this hurricane somehow dies out in the Gulf, and also prayers for South Louisiana people. We will be fine here in North Louisiana.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will_D
Back