Ads target "That's so gay"

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I know a teacher at work who says "That's so gay" or "You're so gay" constantly. It's really annoying, actually. It's one of the reasons I kind of avoid her, although we teach different subjects, so it's never been an issue. I've always thought it was a poor choice of words in front of the students.

I know a teacher at work who says "That's so gay" or "You're so gay" constantly. It's really annoying, actually. It's one of the reasons I kind of avoid her, although we teach different subjects, so it's never been an issue. I've always thought it was a poor choice of words in front of the students.

Wow! I haven't heard anyone over the age of 8 use that expression.:waitasec:

Maybe you could gently remind her that at least a couple of her students are almost certainly gay. What must they think?

I despise that saying as well as 'that's retarded.'

It's bad enough kids use those thoughtless phrases but when adults use them it's revolting AND makes them sound very immature and cruel.

Words do hurt. Why is it so hard for some people to see that????

This has nothing to do with being P.C. it has everything to do with being a decent HUMAN.

I hate "that's retarded," too. Nova, I should definitely remind her that the gay comments are certainly offensive to some students (and teachers). Next time I hear her say it, I will. There are over 100 teachers at my school, so I don't have much contact with her.

My students have been throwing around the words (and I'm sorry to be offensive here) "" and "****." Like these are okay to say! I threw a fit over it one time, and I was told that they say these words all the time and nobody ever call them on it. I can't think of a worse word that that second word.

I nipped that saying in the bud the first time I heard my oldest son use it. I asked him if he even knew what the term "gay" was and explained why he shouldn't say it.

I'll admit to using the phrase 'that's retarded' or 'you're retarded' - especially with my sister. To me, it's the same as saying 'moron' or 'idiot' because both of those words are in common vernacular, but first used in psychiatric diagnoses. That's no excuse whatsoever, and as I've grown up, I try to be more thoughtful in what I say and the people I say it around. I've volunteered for the Special Olympics and have worked with children with disabilities and I know how special they really are. They have amazing personalities and good hearts.

'Dumb' was also used to describe people who couldn't speak. I guess that's how I've always viewed the word 'retarded' - just as something impaired and not necessarily a mentally retarded child or adult. Over the years, words take on new meanings. Gay didn't always mean 'homosexual.' It certainly does now.

Like I said, that's no excuse and I certainly never mean to hurt anyone's feelings. As an adult, I don't speak like that anymore, especially in public.

I also hate when anyone says, "That's so gay." Whenever I hear anyone say that I make sure to remind them that gay doesn't mean "dumb" or "bad." I also agree w/everyone about saying the word retarded too. That has bothered and upset me since I was about ten and other kids would say that. Sorry if I made mistakes, I'm new and still learning how to use/work here

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bikerman Chief
Back