2009.04.23 Baez WESH Interview

Thanks for finding the article. It's interesting. I still think the dead animal smelled worse than the rotten potatoes. But, I bet I found the potatoes before they reached their full potential of smelliness. Does any brave sleuther want to do an experiment and find out just how bad rotten potatoes get? My family already thinks I'm crazy for being so obsessed with this case. I can't imagine what they would say if I told them I want to see if I can get potatoes to smell like a decomposing body.

Have smelled decomp (had to clean house where relative died and was there for about 2 weeks before found) and rotten potatos (had a bag way in back of pantry that was lost & forgotten) I don't think they're very close. No good way to describe decomp -sweet & nasty & gross at same time, and potatos were very smelly, but much more of an amonnia smell, very very strong when bag opened!

Odor analysis isn't junk science, but whether a body can leave a unique signature in a "contaminated" environment is the new territory. Vass is studying it, it has potential. In combination with LIBS, it is to me more compelling. The LIBS was the light-analysis on the trunk stain, and was done in addition to the air testing. It isn't junk science either. The LIBS revealed probable decomp, but lacking flouride, an expected component. The tester suggested this was due to Caylee's age and limited exposure to flouride. This needs further exploration.

I'm not a chemist, but from what I do understand, the evidence is pretty compelling. I'd like to know more.

The lack of fluoride in the stain is understandable. It takes a while (years) for fluoride to build up in humans. Assuming Caylee's baby formula was prepared with bottled water, or water from a filter she would not have had much fluoride for the first year of her life. In her second year she would mainly ingest fluoride from plain tap water. IMO, it was lacking because of her age as suggested by the tester.

A dead animal, a bag of rotten potatoes in the back of a pantry. Not even close. A dead child, or a bag of rotten potaotes. I think this man needs to have his nose checked. My gosh just going down the road and smelling road kill makes your almost toss your cookies.

Casey Anthony case: In WESH interview, Jose Baez apologizes if he hasn't shown outrage that wronged woman is jailed
posted by halboedeker on Apr 25, 2009 10:43:11 AM

"I apologize if I haven't shown that previously," Baez said.

"I've pulled out all the stops to try to get her the best defense possible," he added. "That's what I'm mostly concerned with. I have to stay focused. I can't get emotional."

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...esh-if-he-hasnt-shown-outrage-previously.html

------------------------------------------

But but but... Jose... isn't finding the 'real' killer the "best defense possible"? :waitasec: :banghead:

Casey Anthony case: In WESH interview, Jose Baez apologizes if he hasn't shown outrage that wronged woman is jailed

"I've pulled out all the stops to try to get her the best defense possible," he added. "That's what I'm mostly concerned with. I have to stay focused. I can't get emotional."

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...esh-if-he-hasnt-shown-outrage-previously.html

But but but... Jose... isn't finding the 'real' killer the "best defense possible"? :waitasec: :banghead:

Oh my GOD.... is this guy for real ??? I wouldn't want him representing me even in Traffic Court

Having a Follow the Money thread would be a dream come true for me. The finances are a huge part of this case, and it seems all of the players have questionable connections to each other.

I opened one today and it had to be closed, seems it created a problem. But that may change in the future.
Until then we can post whatever our thoughts are on the many threads about Caylee that we currently have.

It appears that CA and GA think JB may be going for "KC was in fear of Caylee's life and there were threats to the family." If that were true one would only have to look at the tape of her arrest the first time where she is wearing the blue shirt and the smirk that is spread across her face. Does not look like someone who was afraid for her family. Oh, and yes....what about the high fives with Lee at the attorney's office. Suppose that was for the people who were supposed to be following the kidnappers and had run them out of town??? Also she texted one of her friends about how great her nanny was while her daughter was missing. I think if JB has just given us his defense he is in for a rude wake up call.

True, but isn't that analysis what Baez is calling junk science? The Body Farm data he says is unproven science is what he will be arguing. So many people said the car smelled like human decomp that I think a jury will need some other explanation from Baez. They will think if not human than what? Just thinking that is where the potato is going to come in, especially since Vass himself said it in the article you so kindly found.
I wonder if Jose would call the findings "junk science" if they said no chemicals related to decomposition were found in the trunk, we all know the answer to that. He would be praising the Body Farm as the leader in the field of decomposition studies. Not only did the body farm think there was a dead body in Casey's trunk, but seasoned homicide detectives and Casey's own family (not to forget the cadaver dogs) thought so too.

Exclusive: Baez Answers Questions In Anthony Case
Defense Attorney Talks To WESH 2
UPDATED: 11:43 pm EDT April 24, 2009

(This didn't get posted in yesterday's news because it was updated so late at night.)

Main article includes links to the videos below:
http://www.wesh.com/news/19276717/detail.html

Video: Baez On Death Penalty
http://www.wesh.com/video/19275455/index.html

Video: Baez On Outrage
http://www.wesh.com/video/19275374/index.html

Video: Baez On Smell In Truck
http://www.wesh.com/video/19275240/index.html

Video: Report On Baez From WESH 2 On Friday
http://www.wesh.com/video/19278021/index.html

Video: Why Casey Anthony Could Go Free
http://www.wesh.com/video/19267594/index.html

This guy is a tool! Watch the one on "outrage". He tries to explain why he hasn't been hunting for the "real killer". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It wasn't all that persuasive to me, but this was actually a "better" then usual presentation by JB, comparatively speaking, of course, on sort of legal matters. The arguments are standard: it's junk science, not an innovative matter of first impression, if it is contrary to your position, for example. Not that I see why he's chosen to discuss it now. Maybe because he has other plans afoot and wants to distract us from them, like the matter of the super secret subpoenas. He should have stopped before returning to the topic of himself, because this is the subject that always makes him look whiney and unprofessional.

I wonder if Jose would call the findings "junk science" if they said no chemicals related to decomposition were found in the trunk, we all know the answer to that. He would be praising the Body Farm as the leader in the field of decomposition studies. Not only did the body farm think there was a dead body in Casey's trunk, but seasoned homicide detectives and Casey's own family (not to forget the cadaver dogs) thought so too.

It's clear Jose's strategy is disputing the integrity of the evidence as he should do as a defense attorney. Hopefully the jury will look at the whole picture and conclude if not Casey, then who?

Jose did not call the Body Farm evidence "junk science" as I thought he did. It was the duct tape and black plastic bag evidence that he called junk science. He cited a study by the National Academy of Science that states FBI labs use flawed comparative analysis. Here is the websleuth thread where it is discussed:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79936

In the interview with WESH 4/23/09 about the smell he states the following:

Oakridge Laboratory has found that it could possibly be human decomposition but that is presumptive result not a conclusive result.
We’re talking about evidence that has never been admitted in a court of law. We really don’t believe that science is really ready for prime time or a court of law.

Q You’re saying this is junk science.

It is science that has not been peer reviewed. It’s not fully accepted in the scientific community. It has not been verified. We don’t know what the error rates are.

I think Jose has a good argument with these two evidence issues, but hopefully, like I said, the jury will be able to look at the whole picture and make a just verdict.

It appears that CA and GA think JB may be going for "KC was in fear of Caylee's life and there were threats to the family." If that were true one would only have to look at the tape of her arrest the first time where she is wearing the blue shirt and the smirk that is spread across her face. Does not look like someone who was afraid for her family. Oh, and yes....what about the high fives with Lee at the attorney's office. Suppose that was for the people who were supposed to be following the kidnappers and had run them out of town??? Also she texted one of her friends about how great her nanny was while her daughter was missing. I think if JB has just given us his defense he is in for a rude wake up call.

Not to mention that they would have a problem introducing this at trial. Casey had never said...not once, not ever... that someone was threatening them. To the police, she said she was afraid of "the unknown." To her mom, she said, "let's just leave it at that mom" etc. Everyone else wants to act like she was protecting them, but Casey herself has never actually said it.

I was listening to old interviews today, and came across this one with the now infamous Mr. Black. It's relevant here because Mr. Black is appalled that anyone would even suggest that Baez might discuss some aspect of his defense strategy with the media. It's in the first minute of the clip.

Appalling indeed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVATAKaV4HQ&feature=related

It's clear Jose's strategy is disputing the integrity of the evidence as he should do as a defense attorney. Hopefully the jury will look at the whole picture and conclude if not Casey, then who?

Jose did not call the Body Farm evidence "junk science" as I thought he did. It was the duct tape and black plastic bag evidence that he called junk science. He cited a study by the National Academy of Science that states FBI labs use flawed comparative analysis. Here is the websleuth thread where it is discussed:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79936

In the interview with WESH 4/23/09 about the smell he states the following:

Oakridge Laboratory has found that it could possibly be human decomposition but that is presumptive result not a conclusive result.
We’re talking about evidence that has never been admitted in a court of law. We really don’t believe that science is really ready for prime time or a court of law.

Q You’re saying this is junk science.

It is science that has not been peer reviewed. It’s not fully accepted in the scientific community. It has not been verified. We don’t know what the error rates.

I think Jose has a good argument with these two evidence issues, but hopefully, like I said, the jury will be able to look at the whole picture and make a just verdict.
Thanks for the correction. I guess the point I was making though is that no matter what he considers the quality of science to be at Oak Ridge, if the evidence fell in the defense's favor, he would likely have a totally different take on it. Of course it is his job to defend Casey, someone has to do it I guess. It's just a little hard listening to him give his defense spin when the crime was so heinous and the evidence pointing to Casey's guilt, IMO, is so overwhelming.

Thanks for the correction. I guess the point I was making though is that no matter what he considers the quality of science to be at Oak Ridge, if the evidence fell in the defense's favor, he would likely have a totally different take on it. Of course it is his job to defend Casey, someone has to do it I guess. It's just a little hard listening to him give his defense spin when the crime was so heinous and the evidence pointing to Casey's guilt, IMO, is so overwhelming.

Oh no, I wasn't correcting you. I had said it in an earlier post so was trying to correct myself. I guess I should not have quoted your post. So sorry!

I completely agree with you that Jose would be singing a different tune if the Oak Ridge report said there was NO compatibility with human decomp. It is hard listening to him but I think he did a lot better in this latest interview than previous ones and it does have me a little nervous. Although I think when the prosecution lays out their case step by step, in chronological order, with testimony and forensics to back up every assertion, it will be bad news for Jose and Casey.

Oh no, I wasn't correcting you. I had said it in an earlier post so was trying to correct myself. I guess I should not have quoted your post. So sorry!

I completely agree with you that Jose would be singing a different tune if the Oak Ridge report said there was NO compatibility with human decomp. It is hard listening to him but I think he did a lot better in this latest interview than previous ones and it does have me a little nervous. Although I think when the prosecution lays out their case step by step, in chronological order, with testimony and forensics to back up every assertion, it will be bad news for Jose and Casey.
Oh I meant thanks for the correction about what Jose said, I thought he referred to the air test as junk science..I had not watched all of the video before posting, imagine that ! I find that I can only take him in small doses ! No worries !!!!

1-Can anyone get the video called "Report of Baez From WEST 2 on Friday" to work? It won't load for me!
2-I'm skeptical of whether or not this is JB's defense strategy or not. He made such a big deal about how he felt it was important to wait until trial and now all of a sudden after the DP is put back on he comes out with it now? I'm sure they are planning on attacking this evidence but I think by this interview they might be trying to get the SA to think this is the way they are solely going, while aso having something else up their sleeve IMO

[/b]

OH, and reading LAW BOOKS in her cell don't forget! :book: :behindbar: :eat:
This according to CA on Early Show.

Did she specify whether they were legal novels or not? :)

Ok, two things in the Baez interviews really jumped out at me

First, as to why he hasn’t shown outrage that the wrong woman was arrested and in jail for the murder of Caylee, he said:. “I apologize if I haven’t shown that previously,” “I’ve pulled out all the stops to try to get her the best defense possible,” “That’s what I’m mostly concerned with. I have to stay focused. I can’t get emotional.”

Well, he wouldn't need to prepare for a defense at all, if he could find the "real killer," would he? But instead he is working vigorously ... and rather ineptly, I might add, to provide Casey with the best possible defense. So, he knows that there is no one but Casey to blame for this crime ... and it would benefit him more, professionally, to try this case and win it ... versus taking a plea bargain. Even if he goes to trial and loses it would reflect better on him as a defense attorney than a plea bargain. Every client wants a lawyer that is willing to go to the mat for them ... but not one that is going to give up when the going gets tough! I tell ya, instead of visions of sugar plums dancing in his head at night, he is having visions of $$$$$$! I think that he is heady with excitement over his new found pseudo-celebrity! I honestly believe that he is putting his best interest above that of his client. If he is not careful he is going to buy himself a claim of "Ineffective Assistance of Counsel" when this is all said and done. Talk about a career killer!

Also, I have been thinking a lot lately about a possible reason that the State chose to seek the DP at this particular time ... If the State is worried that Casey might have a legitimate claim of IAC ... then it is in their best interest and the interest of justice, to try and have JB removed or have his role lessened and more experienced attorneys take the lead. They tried to achieve this by bringing into question the potential conflict of interest but the judge shot that down ... the only other way that the State could make certain that JB would not be lead counsel is to seek the death penalty. The SAO does NOT want there to be ANY chance for a successful appeal and retrial! I think that they are so confident of the case they have built that they want make sure that a well seasoned, well qualified and legitimate lawyer represents the defense ... they know what they have (we don't - but they do) ... and IMO they know that they can prove KC's guilt ten ways to Sunday!!

The second thing that jumped out at me was when he was talking about the odor of decomp. He said he read that Dr. Vass had once compared the smell of decomp to rotten potatoes (enter the rotten potato theory -- more credible than the rotten pizza theory and the dead squirrel theory, I guess.) But here again, he just doesn't get it ... like with the 17 hairs found by HL and none showed the banding ... this too, is irrelevant, since there were never any potatoes in the trunk of the car ... but there was fluid in the car that was found to be consistent with human decomp, a hair belonging to Caylee that also shows decomp, as well as a cadaver dog indicating human decomp. Furthermore, the fact that Dr. Vass thinks that human decomp smells similar to rotten potatoes is also irrelevant -- because -- the tests run at the Oak Ridge Lab did not consist of Dr. Vass sniffing the carpet samples and concluding, "Well, this is either gotta be rotten potatoes or a dead body" ... No, a highly technical test was performed, by highly skilled scientists, in a well controlled environment ... and a piece of lab equipment decided that it "smelled" like human decomp ... and while the machine may have never smelled a rotten potato ... "its" findings were not consistent with decomposing plant matter or pizza matter or squirrel matter!!

It's almost like he is proceeding as if the body was never found -- CONFIRMING that Caylee was deceased thus proving the accuracy of the lab tests!! These ideas of his would not be a bad strategy if the body had not been found ... he could argue junk science all he wanted ... and bring in expert after expert to say that the tests were inconclusive or that the science was too new to be trusted, when someone's life is at stake. But with the discovery of Caylee's remains (sorry GA) and all the other corroborating evidence, the "rotten potato" and "17 hairs" strategies just make him look foolish and ridiculous!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmoore888888
Back