Was Defendant Deprived of Her Right to Counsel?

Was Defendant Denied Her Right to Counsel?

• Yes, placing defendant before the television delayed personal notification by her attorney.

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • No, as soon as her attorney arrived he was admitted to the common room.

Votes: 114 41.3%
  • No, defendant went to the infirmary for medication. Surveillance is ever present in jail.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Yes, defendant should have remained in her cell until her attorney arrived.

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i didn't vote because i would have voted for

no, defendant was taken to infirmary to be told about a body being found near her home....

KC was told she was going to the infirmary....but KC did not know what for....KC asked for medication after she seen the new's on TV.....

she was seated in the common area first, waiting for a counselor to talk with her...this is the practice that the jail does when there is some *bad* new's that the defendant is going to be told.....i think that LE took advantage of the situation to see how KC would react to the new's on the TV....to see if the reaction was any different from the time that new's broke out about the find at JBP with LP......

why should KC be treated any different then anyone else?

the jail is the one that tells of any *bad new's* not the defendant's counsel....JB knew that KC would freak out....that's why he wanted to be the one to tell her...

i dont remember JB being in such a hurry to be at the jail when the JBP park find was going on....hmmm?

I absolutely believe that JB knew where Caylee's remains were prior to their discovery and, thus, his knowlege of how KC would react. (And yes, GA, I said remains... you can thank your monster of a daughter for that reality.)

The jail is charged with Casey's care, custody and control. As an inmate Casey has no reasonable expectation of privacy she was in a common area and is not the only inmate to pass through. What doesn't JB understand about this?

I'm starting to think that Jose has some very serious comprehension problems ..

I have a hard time understanding why any of this is an issue. I sure had nothing to do with the murder but my reaction to child's bones discovered only houses away from the Anthony home was very, very different than my reaction to the goings-on at JBP. I bet almost all of us that post here would admit the same. . . So why wouldn't Casey's reactions be different, too?

Don't misunderstand; I think Casey is guilty, guilty, guilty. But I don't think measuring her reaction to the discovery helps prove or disprove her guilt in any way. I think the defense team is on the wrong track by making such a big fuss over this. . . Trying to suppress the tape makes it seem like they think her reaction indicates guilt.

It's pretty obvious the jail also brought casey out into the common area to view the tv for the LP search when they discovered bones at JBP to also view her reaction.

Why aren't the defense moaning about that incident?

The account by Lt. Tammy Uncer in her interview with LE does not comport with Jose Baez's assertions in court and in his motions. Under oath, with fresh recollection, Uncer said that the prisoner sat in front of the t.v. for ten minutes before being taken to the medical conference room to see the psychologist. Ten minutes, not forty. I listened twice to the audio tape of her interview, and have listened to it in the past. Uncer says, "Ten minutes."

I have a hard time understanding why any of this is an issue. I sure had nothing to do with the murder but my reaction to child's bones discovered only houses away from the Anthony home was very, very different than my reaction to the goings-on at JBP. I bet almost all of us that post here would admit the same. . . So why wouldn't Casey's reactions be different, too?

Don't misunderstand; I think Casey is guilty, guilty, guilty. But I don't think measuring her reaction to the discovery helps prove or disprove her guilt in any way. I think the defense team is on the wrong track by making such a big fuss over this. . . Trying to suppress the tape makes it seem like they think her reaction indicates guilt.

ITA! And, in my opinion, the tape is just a red herring. While JB is busy worrying about the ramifications of releasing this tape and trying to get it suppressed, there is another, much more damning, piece of evidence tucked away somewhere in the massive release of info that he has been given, tucked very discretely in the middle of some mumbo-jumbo that has no bearing. And, JB is completely missing it! He is too busy grandstanding over things that may never even be introduced by the SA to see the things they will be using against his client. Or, maybe he has seen it, but needs to try to fluff up some bad feelings against LE before everyone else hears about it. JMO!

A question...........does the fact that it is Unusual constitute a problem for the Corrections Officers? If it really is unusual that is. TIA

I don't see why it should, considering that there have been many, many, unusual things about this case. I think they could claim that they were just "C.M.A." (Covering My @ss!) I'm sure JB and the A's could relate to that!

The jail is charged with Casey's care, custody and control. As an inmate Casey has no reasonable expectation of privacy she was in a common area and is not the only inmate to pass through. What doesn't JB understand about this?

The above bolded by me.

Let's play devil's advocate.

KC is listening to the radio.. The announcer says that the remains of a small child have been discovered near Hopespring.

KC starts to rub sweaty hands and then hyperventilates.

The jail does nothing. Now would JB then charge the jail for “Cruel and inhumane treatment”? Of course he would.

As the poster states above, the jail is responsible for her care. I think what they did is proper procedure. She was near the facilities that would help her.

JB is blowing smoke.

I, myself, would like to see that video. I just wonder what it is JB does not want us to see.

She is in jail - was in a common area that is taped and recorded - and no secret
Once again prisoner is expecting special treatment -
Like everything from defense side so far - its much to do about nothing
The only rights that have been violated are Caylee's

I agree. Poor little KC-I am so sick of hearing about her-she's in jail, and probably will be the rest of her life (unless she gets the DP), so she better get used to it. She shouldn't have any rights. She's got it better than some people, she has a place to live, and 3 meals a day-that is more than some people. And JB maybe better see if there is a "Dummbies for Lawyers" book-because he sure doesn't know a thing about being a lawyer.

ITA! And, in my opinion, the tape is just a red herring. While JB is busy worrying about the ramifications of releasing this tape and trying to get it suppressed, there is another, much more damning, piece of evidence tucked away somewhere in the massive release of info that he has been given, tucked very discretely in the middle of some mumbo-jumbo that has no bearing. And, JB is completely missing it! He is too busy grandstanding over things that may never even be introduced by the SA to see the things they will be using against his client. Or, maybe he has seen it, but needs to try to fluff up some bad feelings against LE before everyone else hears about it. JMO!

I'm intrigued, chefmom... Do you KNOW there is "another, much more damning, piece of evidence tucked away somewhere in the massive release of info"? Or are you just hoping/guessing there might be? Did I miss something?

JB and team has made such a big stink about the video - I have a feeling the media lawyers are going to fight reallyhard to get it released.
JMO

I have nothing to base this on, but instinct. Could KC have not only been nervously sickened by the events unfolding in front of her and in her angst of fear for herself have let her defensives down and while in frustration anger called out someones name? Could part of the testimony from the guards be left out to the public? The Supervising officer of the jail did give a stoic interview to the press concerning JB's complaints about visiting kc that day. Where could we find that interview? Has anyone else while in anger or grief yelled out someones name in blame? I have! I think that is true reaction for many when we cannot except the reality in front of us. <3

I have nothing to base this on, but instinct. Could KC have not only been nervously sickened by the events unfolding in front of her and in her angst of fear for herself have let her defensives down and while in frustration anger called out someones name? Could part of the testimony from the guards be left out to the public? The Supervising officer of the jail did give a stoic interview to the press concerning JB's complaints about visiting kc that day. Where could we find that interview? Has anyone else while in anger or grief yelled out someones name in blame? I have! I think that is true reaction for many when we cannot except the reality in front of us. <3

Well, the picture of CA taking a baseball bat to that cross in the backyard and swearing at everybody under the sun except her own daughter comes to mind...

Just wondering, knowing that Casey would hear this news were they not obligated to take her to a secure area where they could watch over her?

I thought she was already on suicide watch. I know JB has revealed that the officers may have said this rarely happens so I'm thinking well, maybe this particular situaton has not ever come up before (as in a recovery of a body while the accused is in custody in solitare and on suicide watch.. who happens to be the mother.) I can't see them leaving her alone in her cell at this time even if I'm incorrect and she was not on suicide watch.

According to an attorney for the county, at one of the last motion hearings re: this video, he stated that the protocol was used as with any defendant in jail per this situation.

When there is potential 'bad' news the defendant is brought to medical. Where video is running all the time and she knew it. I think she heard it on the radio and when she got over to medical, put on an act. Of course, not thinking that she shouldn't be so quick to show the world she knew that body was Caylee. Ooops. Again. Now JB's trying to 'fix' the un-fixable.

When will an attorney for the county get up in front of judge Strickland and say enough is enough? CMA is no different nor special than the next criminal in jail and the idea that she should be treated such because she murdered her child and is looking at a death sentence is ludicrous.

No way were her 'rights' violated in the least and it's insulting for her lawyers to get up in court and use such strong adjectives which in reality describes their own clients despicable behavior towards every person she has ever come into contact. Hopefully, the judge will reign them in and begin to take better control of his court........

I have been only lurking for now. But I would consider this part of buying time....
TIME is of the essence and they want delay, delay, delay.
I dont think the delays have a fair and just verdict in mind.
Check this out. I was afraid of this long ago and I said it on several posts.
\ Lyon says no to October :eek:
http://community2.myfoxorlando.com/_Lyon-says-no-to-October/BLOG/293648/72667.html

I voted no. The media was all over this news and my feeling is they placed KC in the infirmary so that so that if she heard the news (although they didn't know at that time it was Caylee, however, the location of the body was in very close proximity to her parents' home and it was highly likely that it would be Caylee), she could be monitored in the event that she became upset and they could monitor her (if necessary). That makes sense to me. It was documented that she needed medication and that was the place where the doctor would give it. There are video cameras all over the jail. What's the big deal? My feeling is that this is common practice with all criminals. Also, why did JB have to be the one to tell her the news? Also, with the Sunshine Law, why not release the video? There should be no special treatment for her IMO.

I'm not an expert on jail procedures - but I watch a lot of TV.

Why was it the attorneys task to inform her of anything? This was a courtesy not a right.

Do lawyers have 24/7 access to their clients, with no regard for procedures or jail schedule?

When a family member of an inmate falls ill or expires, do lawyers inform the inmate or is it the jail staff?

Lawyers are supposed to be for legal purposes. not personal messenger and butler services.

She's in jail, her privacy is just one of the liberties that she has to forgo. She may have to get used to it.
JB has to file lots of time consuming, though baseless (and fruitless) motions, in order to delay the trial as long as possible.

He is hoping that a new "Murderous Mother" will be the focus of attention before trial. He can then mumble and fumble his way to the guilty verdict and fade into obscurity.

Every month the trial is delayed - is an additional month of mortgage paid

It seemed to me that protocol was followed. Doctor assesed kC, agreed to medication, She was under observation so as not to hurt herself or someone else, Supervisor called Jail minister for KC to talk with. KC remained silent untill her counsel arrived and chose to express her feelings of Caylee's discovery to JB only. By posted accounts the staff appeared to appropriately handle the situation. It was only in JB mind as he told reporters, that he be with her. I can't quote till we find JB's iinterview and the gentleman thats in charge of the jail. We are now used to oddities in this case. We know kC behavior and statements before jB arrives. It was reported she let down in front of JB with tears. We don't know what kind of tera she wept and considering we have never heard a time kC cried over kC it would appear to me the obvious were tears of frustration and anger darted out at JB. It didn't take but a couple of questions from cA & GA at the jail to make kC react with frustration and anger. I would imagine witnessing where you thre your daughter away would just send kC over the top with her tight clenched hands and mouth. Maybe watching that video with no audio, would be like watching a silent movie and will remind people of the video with her parents. That would be a giveaway to me of her guilt. TM stated it was difficult to observe KC with JB, but she could see a bit of tears, but we haven't heard about kC scrunched up frustraiting facial responses yet. Did anything I just said make any sense?

I'm puzzled by the defense strategy in this. IMO most defense would try to cover this with a story like, KC was becoming upset by her incarceration and reactions and responses from jail personnel, and became upset. Then the defense would try to bury the story and hope it was forgotten.

Instead JB is hammering on this story, like he doesn't want it to be forgotten. Why? He surely can't believe that someone is going to say, "ok she killed her kid, but she was mistreated in jail so we are just going to forget about it"??? So why is he wanting to make sure that no one forgets this story? LOL, even the prosecution is saying they may not use it in trial, and they have offered to bury the tape. But the defense doesn't want to? So why?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back