Phillip C. Knight Institute

I don't think he decided to suddenly "go legit". I think the name of the school is just being picked up from a scholastic company's online website database. He probably registered online w/ the company, like WLRosie, to receive discounts on textbooks and other learning materials. This wouldn't make the school "legit". It just means he wanted to save some of the money he was stealing from his neighbor and probably his mother and who knows who else.
I hope I'm right, at least...
Good luck, Doogie and good luck and thank you, m2s.

One possibility is that this is a homeschool affidavit. In Cal if you are home schooling you must declare yourself an independent private school and file a slew of paperwork. http://www.californiahomeschool.net/howTo/legOpt.htm

Why though, since he had these children in a less than legal manner, would he file official paperwork?
That in itself should be a Red Flag...
How does a Sex offender file such paper work? with no investigation? :waitasec:

Just more fury with our legal system.... :furious: :furious:

Does anyone remember seeing textbooks, workbooks, or school curriculum in any of the photos? I don't. I remember art supplies and pages from coloring books but no real school supplies. We saw children's art which looked younger to me than a typical 11 or 15 year old would produce. Those pieces of art could be several years old, however. I don't remember seeing any spelling lists or illustrated reports lying around or tacked up. Did I miss something?

It's odd that PG would take the time to register an "institute" if he wasn't going to actually order supplies. I sure hope the institute didn't hold "classes" elsewhere.

He may have only ordered once from the online company. With the order would come a packing slip or possibly a welcome letter or maybe even a certificate of some type. He could possibly then use one of these items to show he was running an "accredited" school to someone "not so smart". Possibly he showed this to the parents of the 2 younger girls PG has been reported, more than once, as having been seen with. It's unfortunate, but sometimes parents aren't smart and, sadly, sometimes just don't care. Possibly, the alleged accomplice or possibly, an employee or affiliate of Molino. This doesn't mean that I think the Molinos knowingly participated in any type of nefarious activity. It doesn't mean that I think they didn't, either. But, it would be easy for a monster like PG, with his religious speeches and controlling ways, to gain the trust of an easily persuaded person and convince them that his school was legitimate with little proof. He is "religious", after all. What harm could he possibly do? :loser: It wouldn't be the first time parents have handed the care of their children over to a trusted religious figure. It wouldn't be the first time that religious figure didn't deserve their trust. I would like to know more about the child/children that were allegedly taken into protective custody from one of the Molino properties.

I'm only posting my opinions as food for thought, in the event that m2s' trip to the records office proves fruitless. I, honestly, mean absolutely no offense when I say I hope it does prove fruitless. Otherwise, California and possibly other states need to reevaluate the laws surrounding home schooling guidelines and, frankly, it scares the jebus out of me to think of what other monsters are able to legally obtain a license to harm our children.

In one of the photos from the Telegraph, there's clearly some sort of a work sheet sitting on top of an ironing board (and who needed an ironing board and who did the ironing?). Wholelottarosie, is it possible to identify that with any home school curriculum? That's the only place where I see anything remotely looking school related.

All the books--the novels, the cat books, and the gardening manuals--look as if they were from thrift shops. Has it been mentioned, however, that two books on a nightstand look to be library books? Of course, they could be "discarded" library books.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01471/5house_1471754i.jpg

In one of the photos from the Telegraph, there's clearly some sort of a work sheet sitting on top of an ironing board (and who needed an ironing board and who did the ironing?). Wholelottarosie, is it possible to identify that with any home school curriculum? That's the only place where I see anything remotely looking school related.

All the books--the novels, the cat books, and the gardening manuals--look as if they were from thrift shops. Has it been mentioned, however, that two books on a nightstand look to be library books? Of course, they could be "discarded" library books.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01471/5house_1471754i.jpg

I think someone in an earlier post said that that was a map of the constellations. That's what it looks like to me, as well.

That in itself should be a Red Flag...
How does a Sex offender file such paper work? with no investigation? :waitasec:

Just more fury with our legal system.... :furious: :furious:

seriously.....they dont like to do background checks around there i guess.

I think someone in an earlier post said that that was a map of the constellations. That's what it looks like to me, as well.

Ya, that looks like a star map. That might explain why one of the girls was identifying the constellations to Tina Dugard. Btw, that is someone's bed in the back there. There are sheets on it and pillows among the other junk (probably piled there during the primary LE search). The "headboard" would be on the right (based on how the sheets are placed on the bed), under what appear to be two speakers and a desk top lamp. Jaycee was the cat lady, and there are no cats there, so I'm guessing that is the bedroom of one of the girls, probably whoever was doing the star identification to Tina.

Ya, that looks like a star map. That might explain why one of the girls was identifying the constellations to Tina Dugard. Btw, that is someone's bed in the back there. There are sheets on it and pillows among the other junk (probably piled there during the primary LE search). The "headboard" would be on the right (based on how the sheets are placed on the bed), under what appear to be two speakers and a desk top lamp. Jaycee was the cat lady, and there are no cats there, so I'm guessing that is the bedroom of one of the girls, probably whoever was doing the star identification to Tina.

I agree. I filed all the pictures by which building/tent they were (easy to figure out if you look at some aerial shots vs interior shots) and tried to tell which was used for what. That's what I guessed for this tent.

Fictitious Business Name Statement for The Phillip C. Knight Institute signed by none other than...

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/20879044/Phillip-C-Knight-Institute-Aug"]Phillip C Knight Institute Aug@@AMEPARAM@@/docinfo/20879044?access_key=key-12jmxr2w2q4yt1g2uqp8@@AMEPARAM@@20879044@@AMEPARAM@@key-12jmxr2w2q4yt1g2uqp8[/ame]

The writer of that article makes a huge leap to say that this is a business permit. It isn't. It is a filing of the fictitious business name statement. One could make up new names all day long, and file each and every one of them, but it is not a permit to do business at a specific location or anywhere else for that matter.

Interesting that the dba said Institute vs Elem and Intermed School.

The writer of that article makes a huge leap to say that this is a business permit. It isn't. It is a filing of the fictitious business name statement. One could make up new names all day long, and file each and every one of them, but it is not a permit to do business at a specific location or anywhere else for that matter.

There in lies a problem.

I get mail for the business I registered. Once I filed I got follow up mail, I still do, They know I exist.
When he filed/registered this - seems there was no follow up :waitasec:

Regardless, he could use this dba paperwork to convince some not so bright parents that his school is legitimate....you know the rest.

There in lies a problem.

I get mail for the business I registered. Once I filed I got follow up mail, I still do, They know I exist.
When he filed/registered this - seems there was no follow up :waitasec:
Well, we don't know that. We don't know if there was any followup or if there should be any followup. Not to mention that you live in New York City, and this is unincorporated Contra Costa County, California.

The writer of that 'article', Jeremiah Peterson is a self employed real estate agent in Antioch and the surrounding areas. One can only hope that he knows more about real estate than he does about registering fictitious business names; obtaining business licenses; and running home schools. So, he is a citizen journalist of the salesman variety. He could be smart, but he obviously isn't.

On the left hand side of the AntiochGrove dot com page, there is a list of local news bloggers. Click on Antioch Real Estate and it takes you to his homepages.

I am grateful that he obtained those application papers. They are interesting and no doubt will save 2Sisters a trip to Martinez on a holiday when all the offices are closed.

Contra Costa County website has an interesting and informative page on obtaining business licenses in the unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County.
http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/FAQ.aspx?TID=34

Here is question and answer #3:

3. What is required to obtain a Business License?
The Business License is evidence only that your tax has been paid. Other permits may be required to open your business.

Every business must at least meet zoning and building requirements to ensure that its business category and site are compatible before signing any leases and moving in. Check with the County Zoning/Planning Department to make sure you locate your business at an address where it is allowed and that it does not heavily impact the neighborhood or require special parking consideration.

Also, if your business name is anything other than your surname or has more than one owner -- a partnership, association, or company -- you may need to file a fictitious business name with the County Clerk's Office, (925) 335-7900. Should you accidentally "infringe" upon another business, you may face legal action and will have to pay to re-file your Business License -- and that gets expensive. So, it is a good idea to do this before you apply for the Business License.

A copy of the fictitious name certification is required with your business license application.

You know I just remembered something. When I had my own business in Sutter, CA I had to post the intention to do a "dba" in the newspaper for three weeks first. This was to protect my business name and other businesses from being infringed upon. My name and the physical address of the business had to be listed as well.

The application for the dba was a lot more involved also. It had questions concerning the type of business to be performed and the services that would be offered. Since this is only about two hours from Antioch I am surprised how different the process is for Contra Costa county.

As nearly as I can tell, the Fictitious Business Name Statement is a State of California law that is carried out by the individual counties. I think the form is the same for all, what might be different are the fees collected, and of course the newspapers that the "dba" needs to be printed in. The Fictitious Business Name Statement is supposed to be filed in the County within which the registrant has his/her principal place of business.

The second page of the application includes the instructions for the form. The fictitious business name expires after 5 years and needs to be renewed at that time. If the registrant ceases to transact business under the fictitious name then they must file an abandonment of the name. Its more complicated than that but that is the essence.

The real estate agent that got that Garrido form did not include the whole application, although my guess is that most of the rest of it is blank. I found a full form for another county and nowhere does it ask the nature of the business. Maybe Sutter County does ask that? Or, maybe that is asked for a business license?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back