MI MI - Jane Steinhebel, 21, Detroit, 23 May 1972

SuzyLee, just judging by the info in her funeral announcement, I think the other posters here are correct in the idea that she may have went to a Catholic school.

I wish I had more ideas for you, good luck to you, I think it is amazing that you are trying to find out more info about her.

SuzyLee, just judging by the info in her funeral announcement, I think the other posters here are correct in the idea that she may have went to a Catholic school.

I wish I had more ideas for you, good luck to you, I think it is amazing that you are trying to find out more info about her.

Thank you, I think it's great that this forum is here. All of you have given me more steam and information than I could have gotten alone.

when I spoke to her sister-in-law, I told her I was afraid to contact her former husband, and she told me, "I would be, too."

do you know anything else about the husband? without jumping to any conclusions, from what you've said that does seem a little sketchy :waitasec:

were you able to check the detroit news microfilm or just the freep? theres a small chance that when i'm in michigan over the holidays i'll be visiting wayne state, so maybe i could do a little sleuthing in the library archives.

I don't know much else about him, and I don't want to latch on to just one person as the culprit, but, yeah, I thought that was strange, too. I must have checked both the News and Free Press, because the obit is from the News, and I was inclined to check the Freep first. Another bit, this site says she had a child, but no name. I emailed the woman who wrote the page, but she doesn't know any more about her. For all I know, that may not even be true. I checked a little bit, and (unfortunately), found a Steinhebel who could have been her child...in the Michigan offender website. I also found him on facebook, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to email him, since he can easily see my name! The RootsWeb site also reminded me that her father died a year after her murder, and her mother died seven years after the murder. I can't help but think what could have been, had she lived.

were you able to check the detroit news microfilm or just the freep?

Checking the Detroit News on microfilm is a good idea.

I'm not familiar with the Detroit area. What part or side of the Detroit area did this murder take place? Was it close to another county in the Detroit area?

At the public library, I would look to see if the area where the murder took place had a weekly community or neighborhood newspapers on microfilm.

Also, if the murder was close to another county, I would also look at the daily and weekly newspapers on microfilm for that area as well.

Checking the Detroit News on microfilm is a good idea.

I'm not familiar with the Detroit area. What part or side of the Detroit area did this murder take place? Was it close to another county in the Detroit area?

At the public library, I would look to see if the area where the murder took place had a weekly community or neighborhood newspapers on microfilm.

Also, if the murder was close to another county, I would also look at the daily and weekly newspapers on microfilm for that area as well.

neurosleuth, the murder took place in detroit proper, but the area where it occurred is not terribly far from two other counties. there are a slew of newspapers in the area (i imagine some from back then that are defunct now). the wayne state library has a wonderful microfilm collection of many area papers.

suzy, the funeral was at our lady queen of heaven. could that have been her parent's parish? so tragic that her parents died shortly after her death. it must have been a devastating time for them.

I definitely think that a day at the library is in order. It would be great if I could find the obituary/death notice for her parents, because there could be other relatives for me to speak with. Her death notice doesn't mention a child, so that's why I'm thinking either it's not true, or maybe the child was given up for adoption? blue_the_puppy, I also think it's sad that, essentially, a whole family is destroyed in eight years, and not too many people (police, newspapers), seem interested.

This definitely intrigues me ... I am from the Detroit-area and am the same age as this girl was at the time, I was born in 1950. I am very familiar with all the Catholic Schools around, and can get information. Steinhebel sounds German to me, and there were German families in the Detroit area same as Polish families, the Polish side of my family is buried at Mt. Olivet I could certainly get information about this girl. Where is the story about the actual murder? Does anyone know? I know Detroit quite well, born and raised here. Please give me more information, I am very intrigued. There was another cold case here in the Detroit-area which I have never seen solved or talked about. If I find any information on it, I'll also post it here.

Kathryann

Also a very popular high school in that era was Regina High School in Harper Woods, Catholic all-girls school. Maybe that would be something to look for. For some reason that name Steinhebel sounds so familiar to me, and I'm from Detroit.

No story written, none that I can find. All I know I've put together from a death notice, death certificate and a marriage liscence. Every person I've emailed who went to schools in the area does not remember her, so I honestly know very little. I would love to know more about her, and find the people who placed that "in memoriam," but I don't know if I ever will.

SuzyLee: Jane Steinhebel graduated from SS Cyril and Methodius High School in 1969. I found a discussion forum for St. Cyril graduates here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Cyrilite/start

I searched the forum posts for Jane Grant Norman Steinhebel etc, but delphi only allows nonmembers a three month search window and a
membership costs money. Still, maybe it would be worth it to contact some of the forum members.

There is a memorial page with Jane's picture linked through the forums.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/main/339005/27645492

This would only be about 60 miles from me, so if there's anything that needs to be done in person, let me know. I have to head down the Detroit way after the 18th of January. I'll be in Oak Park, so I can jog over to Detroit, only about 15 miles out of the way.

SuzyLee, have you talked directly to the crime reporter at the Detroit News to see if he remembers anything? I think he's been around for a long time. Can't remember his name but he just co-wrote a book with another Websleuther...

Shellbee, I can not believe you found all this! I am so eternally grateful for all of this work you've all done on this forum for her/me/her family. Wow, I am speechless that you found out where she attended! Now, onto the next mission in this huge mystery!

ETA: Carbuff, I just emailed George Hunter (crime reporter at Det News), so hopefully there will be a response. Also, I just emailed the creator of the memorial page with her picture, left a comment on it and also created a topic on her on that site.

I just got an email from a woman who went to school with her! She said, "I remember her as Janie Grant." This is incredible, I didn't think I would get here, ever. I wrote back and asked if she put that picture in the paper, and that I wanted to know more about her, so hopefully she doesn't think I'm insane! I also received an email from George Hunter who said he would check the archives today, but he didn't remember because he did not work in 72.

I just got an email from a woman who went to school with her! She said, "I remember her as Janie Grant." This is incredible, I didn't think I would get here, ever. I wrote back and asked if she put that picture in the paper, and that I wanted to know more about her, so hopefully she doesn't think I'm insane! I also received an email from George Hunter who said he would check the archives today, but he didn't remember because he did not work in 72.

That's great news SuzyLee! I hope you're able to assemble some info and gather some answers.

That's great news! It sounds like you're starting to make progress!

If there is a new suburban church for this parish, they will have records of marriages and funerals and also of any Baptism, First Communion or Confirmation for the child if one exists. Checking the original church, along with the one listed as the location of the funeral might yield some sort of records with names and dates for you.

jmoo

George Hunter found an article about it, dated May 23 1972, page 6A. I must have only checked the Freep, but I thought I had done both. He said he would mail me a copy! It's all happening now, thanks to everyone here!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back