NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I should state now that my "timeline" isnt really a timeline in the strict sense. Its the events we know placed onto a map with probable routes. Also inputed are spots where his location is unknown or no assumptions have been made.

Its probably a good idea that someone else start a timeline in the strict sense of the word. Mine is more like a mind map meshed with a physical map.

When I mapped those two routes, I input a 7:00 am departure time.

It'd be nice to have a complete inventory of the car's contents, including all receipts. Even if he paid cash for things, there could be receipts in the bags....and they have information.

The total absence of receipts, OR gaps in the receipts, could mean that he turned those receipts in for reimbursement.

We can make assumptions around a timeline, but we can't have assumptions ON a timeline. We can only place him somewhere, if we have confirming data.

Why the 7am departure time?

The difference in range we would get from calculating his decreased mileage from the Mequite shell station to the freeway and the freeway to Henderson is pretty negligable. But for arguments sake I think its safe to assume he drove an extra 70-100 miles that day.

Obviously.

Remember the time zone change. He was last seen at his apartment at 10:30pm (9:30pm Vegas time). He parked the car at noon, Vegas time.

We have a two hour trip that expanded into 14.5 hours.
I'm surprised there was "half a tank" of gas left in the car.

Sure would like to know the time on that 12/12 Mesquite gas receipt. That would tell us if he was driving back and forth, or what.

Why the 7am departure time?

Extrapolation.

I'm not saying that's when he left. All I was doing is calculating the total driving time for each route. To do that, I had to enter an estimated departure time, which then gave me the estimated arrival time.

Remember, he showed up at Annemarie's family's home, and was invited to stay for lunch.
What time do people eat lunch?
Noon or early afternoon?

Just popping in quick to scan for new news and say welcome to all newbies. It's great to have you all here.

One thought on the drug idea. Has anyone noticed or heard of a trend of using people to transport packages and them not being aware that they are transporting drugs? I haven't heard this. Just wondering if others had. I-15 and I-80 are huge drug corridors. I'm thinking Steven could have been hired to drive someone elses vehicle or something.

O/T kinda. In Washington state a teacher recently got caught up in a Nigerian check scam responding to an add to print out checks for 18.00 an hour. Teacher had responded to a Craiglist add of course. He was unemployed and desperate for a job. My point is even smart people can forget "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Gotta run, catch y'all later!

Extrapolation.

I'm not saying that's when he left. All I was doing is calculating the total driving time for each route. To do that, I had to enter an estimated departure time, which then gave me the estimated arrival time.

Remember, he showed up at Annemarie's family's home, and was invited to stay for lunch.
What time do people eat lunch?
Noon or early afternoon?

AnneMarie's family report he arrived at 11 am.

Obviously.

Remember the time zone change. He was last seen at his apartment at 10:30pm (9:30pm Vegas time). He parked the car at noon, Vegas time.

We have a two hour trip that expanded into 14.5 hours.
I'm surprised there was "half a tank" of gas left in the car.

Sure would like to know the time on that 12/12 Mesquite gas receipt. That would tell us if he was driving back and forth, or what.

I thought I recall seeing somewhere somebody saw him come home and stay for only twenty or so minutes before seeing him leave again at 10:30. Let me double check on that info.

Im not surprised by the half tank info. Just because 14.5 hours elapsed doesn't imply he had to be burning fuel that whole time. If it was drug/or human trafficking (I think both work equally well using the point I made a while back) its entirely possible he used a more suitable vehicle. That could be potentially verified by calculating how many gallons the gas receipts were for. If theyre over 15.2 he wasnt driving his car.

There's a great website where you can look up someone by name, and see their on-record Utah convictions.
Because people are booked under variations of their name, it's best to just enter their last name, and then scroll through until you see if they are listed:

http://utahsright.com/h_charges.php

If Jordan Z. has a conviction, it's a matter of public record.

Jordan R Z 2007-04-23 Illegal Poss/use Of Controlled Substance Guilty
Jordan R Z 2007-04-23 Contributing To The Delinquency Of Minor Guilty

Alright, let me throw this out there. Could he have picked up Susan Powell in West Valley City and took her on over to Nevada or possibly a meeting point where someone in her family from Washington could pick her up? Susan became missing at that exact same time Steven traveled to "visit" Annemarie (not knowing if she was there or not). Susan is still missing too.

This would also explain his secretive/traveling behavior around this time frame (Dec. 8th, 9th). It was said that Susan began having marital problems about a year ago. This was around the same time Steven worked at the SLCT and attended LDS Church/Events there (according to blogs I've read). Since they share the same religion and SLCT and WVC are only 18 miles apart. This would explain how they met.

Susan's friends also stated that she opened up her own checking account in case she needed to leave her husband, Josh, without him knowing. So, I'm sure she had a separate cell phone that he didn't know about also. They tell you to do these type of things when you're in an abusive (verbal or physical) marriage and want to leave. To have a secret plan mapped out. If her and Steven wanted to communicate through this troubled time in their lives. He would have gotten a separate cell phone too. Ensuring, Susan's husband could never track him down or Steven's family wouldn't look down upon him for talking with a married woman.

When the police took the Powell's family van in for testing. Her husband, Josh, rented a car and drove numerous miles on it and refuses to speak to police about anything he did or didn't do during this time. As a matter of fact, he has hired a well known criminal attorney because he is the only suspect in her disappearance. He has also moved back to Washington recently, even though his wife is still missing.

What if? What if, Josh found out about Steven, some kind of way. And hired a P.I. or followed him around and did something to them. Or Susan and Steven simply fell in love and ran away together. Again, this is pure speculation. However, it could be something to check into. The unfortunate part is, this probably won't ever happen. I typed up my theory on Susan's Missing FB page and my post was deleted.

I do realize it sounds wild because no one is saying that the two of them knew each other. However, if this was a secret relationship, no one would know of this. What do ya think?

Its a theory but there are a lot of facts I don't think mesh without some serious stretching.

For one, Stevens visit to AnnMarie's doesn't fit.
Two, youve made a very cursory reference to Nevada somehow possibly being involved. Its a pretty big part of this story and can't be dismissed.

AnneMarie's family report he arrived at 11 am.

OK....that's easy. I can change the Ruby Valley NV arrival time to 11am PST.

Depart St George at 3:39am MST
Via US-93: 355.8 miles, 7 hrs, 21 min

OR

Depart St George at 1:59am MST
Via I-15/I-80: 541 miles, 9 hrs, 1 min

Susan's friends also stated that she opened up her own checking account in case she needed to leave her husband, Josh, without him knowing. So, I'm sure she had a separate cell phone that he didn't know about also.
(snip)
What if? What if, Josh found out about Steven, some kind of way. And hired a P.I. or followed him around and did something to them. Or Susan and Steven simply fell in love and ran away together. Again, this is pure speculation. However, it could be something to check into. The unfortunate part is, this probably won't ever happen. I typed up my theory on Susan's Missing FB page and my post was deleted.

I do realize it sounds wild because no one is saying that the two of them knew each other. However, if this was a secret relationship, no one would know of this. What do ya think?

What do I think?
The possibility of a woman leaving her half-jobless husband (and two children) for a mostly-unemployed 30-year-old, stretches logic.

Try it again, using known facts from both of these cases.
Fit the secret PI-murderer-stalker into it, paid for by a half-jobless husband without two dimes to scratch together. And add more what ifs.

I'm joking with you, because I'm sure you're trying to kid us.

Which suggest one of a few things:

1. He drove all night to go see people randomly.

2. He was closer than St. George

3. He had somewhere to be near there. OR that was his destination for another purpose other than saying hi.

Laytonian: Would you mind running the numbers again with SLC as the starting point?

I thought I recall seeing somewhere somebody saw him come home and stay for only twenty or so minutes before seeing him leave again at 10:30. Let me double check on that info.

Im not surprised by the half tank info. Just because 14.5 hours elapsed doesn't imply he had to be burning fuel that whole time. If it was drug/or human trafficking (I think both work equally well using the point I made a while back) its entirely possible he used a more suitable vehicle. That could be potentially verified by calculating how many gallons the gas receipts were for. If theyre over 15.2 he wasnt driving his car.

StillLooking posted about the 12/12 10-10:30pm sighting, just today.

"If theyre over 15.2 he wasnt driving his car"
Why not? We don't know how far he drove his car. He could have filled up again, somewhere else, using cash.
Or maybe....like a lot of guys, he just puts in a little bit at a time and the car's never full. Got $5 cash? Buy that much gas.

Without receipts, we can only make stuff up.

Which suggest one of a few things:

1. He drove all night to go see people randomly.

2. He was closer than St. George

3. He had somewhere to be near there. OR that was his destination for another purpose other than saying hi.

Laytonian: Would you mind running the numbers again with SLC as the starting point?

If Steve was dropping in to visit people all night, wouldn't someone have said something about it?
He had to have started from St George. Confirmed "Christmas dinner" sighting" the day before.

From the I-15/I-80 "spaghetti bowl" interchange in SLC to Ruby Valley:
Departure time: 6:55am
Arrival time in Ruby Valley, NV: 11:00am
Summary: 235.1 miles (4 hours, 4 minutes)

If he's sleeping in his car, he's likely to do it at one of the Flying J stations, where truckers and travellers do things like that. Utah's pretty much done away with interstate rest areas, and sleeping in a car in SLC is a quick way to get reported to the cops....unless you're in a bad neighborhood, then you'll get shot.

StillLooking posted about the 12/12 10-10:30pm sighting, just today.

"If theyre over 15.2 he wasnt driving his car"
Why not? We don't know how far he drove his car. He could have filled up again, somewhere else, using cash.
Or maybe....like a lot of guys, he just puts in a little bit at a time and the car's never full. Got $5 cash? Buy that much gas.

Without receipts, we can only make stuff up.

I think you missed my point. My point was that if any ONE purchase was more than 15.2 gallons its unlikely to be his car. For example, if the purchase showed $59.00 and we assume even he bought $3.50 in junk food for himself that leaves 55.50. For this exmple we will say gas is $3.00 a gallon. 55.5/3 is 18.5 His car doesnt hold 18.5 gallons. It holds 15.2 max.

I realize there is room for error in this method but if the purchases are for amounts grossly over 15.2 gallons worth it counts for something.

And by "He drove all night to go see people randomly." I mean he drove through the night to go see AM 's family at random. Just to clarify.

Your figures from SLC seem like more reasonable numbers for him to be driving at a time considering his destination. And youre probably right about him sleeping at a truck stop, if anywhere, on the road. I still don't see such a complete lack of preparedness for three days in a very cold car being very likely.

Jordan R Z 2007-04-23 Illegal Poss/use Of Controlled Substance Guilty
Jordan R Z 2007-04-23 Contributing To The Delinquency Of Minor Guilty

...and remember: most cases are pleaded down, so the original charges were likely more severe (and some may have been dropped to get the plea).
You say he's in his early 20s? Likely has a juvenile record that's sealed.

I've been trying to find the page, but I can't believe how many people in Utah have names starting with Z.

EDIT:
Found it. Whew.
Also see where he works/worked for the city, seasonal worker in the PARK?
What's wrong with those people? "Put him close to the kiddies."

Also maybe worth noting: Just did a search and the average temp for December nights was 29.5 degrees. Ive slept in a car at freezing temps before in a good sleeping bag. Still cold.

I think you missed my point. My point was that if any ONE purchase was more than 15.2 gallons its unlikely to be his car. For example, if the purchase showed $59.00 and we assume even he bought $3.50 in junk food for himself that leaves 55.50. For this exmple we will say gas is $3.00 a gallon. 55.5/3 is 18.5 His car doesnt hold 18.5 gallons. It holds 15.2 max.

I realize there is room for error in this method but if the purchases are for amounts grossly over 15.2 gallons worth it counts for something.

And by "He drove all night to go see people randomly." I mean he drove through the night to go see AM 's family at random. Just to clarify.

Your figures from SLC seem like more reasonable numbers for him to be driving at a time considering his destination. And youre probably right about him sleeping at a truck stop, if anywhere, on the road. I still don't see such a complete lack of preparedness for three days in a very cold car being very likely.

OK. I thought you were adding up the receipts.

It's only 235 from SLC to Ruby Valley. That's not a day's drive...at least to someone who regularly drives a lot. Maybe he was a sight-seer?

You can run the engine to keep warm...unless your car has something wrong with it. It's no more dangerous to idle your ar to keep warm, than to be driving with the heater on. It's only when you close the garage door or have an exhaust leak that you're in trouble.

I think the closer we can stick to confirmed information, the more accurate things are. An assumption can have you looking for Modesto meth crews, instead of at the handyman whose window overlooked the room at Cedar Lodge, where three women were murdered.
JMHO, of course. Facts, data, times, locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member