NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
These unexplained last minute visits could just have been his way of seeing some of these people for the last time, without coming out and saying it.

I think so, too. Rambling car rides, and evidently no one to deeply confide in. Looking for someone from the past....trying to find the past, but not acting on it when he finds things have changed. Annemarie's no longer there, as he remembered.

I thought about this last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, and decided that the car's location was random. He didn't want to leave it on the parkway, so took a couple of turns and ended up at a dead-end. Started walking.

I'd love to think he was heading to an appointment, but I think he was steeling himself for something else. Maybe a Christ-like praying and fasting in the mountains.

Higherpower and I had a long discussion over lunch and propose a new theory which I believe fits quite well.

Suppose for a moment Steven was involved in illegal human trafficking of illegal immigrants. It fits on the following levels:

-Made secret trips to northern utah (possibly idaho as well) and northern nevada.
-Made secret trips to Vegas.
-Car was found with 1/2 tank of gas. Supposing his 4 cylinder gets 30mpg (specs say 33mpg highway) and holds 15.2 gallons and he filled up in Mequite that means he did about 200 miles worth of driving between mequite and Henderson. Its 96 between Henderson and Mequite. So 100 unaccounted for miles. Thats a lot of extra driving. Where did he go?
-Randomly drops in on old friends in a rural ranch/farming area.
-Makes few purchases during his time on the road over 4-5 days. This suggest he was using cash. You dont get paid checks or direct deposit for doing illegal jobs. Also to note on this point is that it would be easy to cover up the number of people you had with you if you only used your card to buy gas and not food. When you buy food for five people that gets noticed really quick.
-Coats in his car could belong to people he trafficked.
-House on Evening Lights was where he was going to get paid. Whoever pays him tells him to not park near the house.
-Fully expected to be able to get paid and get back to Utah for elders quorum or was OK with getting paid at a later date.
-Lack of phone calls could be because he uses a seperate phone for his trafficking contacts.

Coyotes are a tough crowd. We have our fair share here in AZ and when they show up in the news its usually stunning how deeply entrenched these rings are.

To me its crazy to think he slept in his car in freezing weather for three days when he had family nearby. He didn't want family to know he was there for some reason.

If I was planning to sleep in my car for three days I'd take a lot more than a bunch of coats. Sleeping bag maybe. Changes of clothes. Not to say he didnt have those things on this trip because he didnt in Vegas.

Point is, his trip was unannounced, distant, secret.

Could his mention of Sacramento to AnneMarie's family be a cover to explain his passing through so far from home?

OK, I'm confused. When was his family "nearby" during the trip to Ruby Valley? That's hundreds of miles away from Salt Lake, St George, Vegas or Bountiful. It almost seems purposely so, at least to me.

We don't even know if he travelled on I-80, without seeing more fuel stops dates/times/locations.

Certainly, people saw Steve *other* than at those occasions noted on her timeline. Remember, that timeline starts on Nov 13th -- and doesn't even list when he went to church. It'd be significant if he missed it. Maybe Naegle can clarify.

All a timeline can show, are the confirmed events, with dates and times.

I think it is believed by the family that he was close by on the 12th when he gassed up in Springerville. I also assume that its believed he went through Salt Lake to get to Ruby valley which would be the second time. I realize its futher mile wise. But it is faster by a small margin. Suggesting that he took the shorter route mile wise means his trip was deliberate to Ruby Valley and that it was his sole purpose for that leg of the trip. A stretch especially considering its a 10 hour drive and he would have needed to leave the night before after the christmas party to get there by 11:00am.

Welcome stilllooking.

It is good to have someone here on WS who knows Steven.

Are you in touch with family members?

Higherpower and I had a long discussion over lunch and propose a new theory which I believe fits quite well.

Suppose for a moment Steven was involved in illegal human trafficking of illegal immigrants. It fits on the following levels:

-Made secret trips to northern utah (possibly idaho as well) and northern nevada.
-Car was found with 1/2 tank of gas. Supposing his 4 cylinder gets 30mpg (specs say 33mpg highway) and holds 15.2 gallons and he filled up in Mequite that means he did about 200 miles worth of driving between mequite and Henderson. Thats a lot of extra driving. Where did he go?
-Makes few purchases during his time on the road over 4-5 days. This suggest he was using cash. You dont get paid checks or direct deposit for doing illegal jobs.
-House on Evening Lights was where he was going to get paid. Whoever pays him tells him to not park near the house.
-Fully expected to be able to get paid and get back to Utah for elders quorum or was OK with getting paid at a later date.

Coyotes are a tough crowd. We have our fair share here in AZ and when they show up in the news its usually stunning how deeply entrenched these rings are.

I appreciate any new theory.
The one thing I have qualms about with the new theory
is that it does not fit with Steven's known personality traits.
If Steven did anything remotely like this,
IMO
I am thinking more likely he was 'saving' people from coyotes.

respectfully snipped for space'

I wonder if the police have confirmed where Steven's ex roommate was on the day he dissapeared. Jordan Z. (ex roomy) moved in the night or when Steven was not home because Steven called my husband the next moring to ask us if we had been to the house, he was trying to figure out if our house had been broken into because some things were missing.

Jordan changed door knobs and kept his room locked so he couldn't see if Jordans room was emptied. But the garbage can, toaster, coffee maker and a whole bunch of cleaning items are the items I remember him telling my husband were missing. The TV was still there, so hubby told him his roomy had probably moved out and taken those things. This happened about the last week of Octover. My husband kept in contact with Jordan and told him he still owed the rent and we didn't want to take him to court but we could, and that he also stole things. Jordan told me husband that we had no proof that he stold anything and my husband told him Steven had called us the day after the moved out wondering if the house was broken into because things were missing. Steven was a witness that things were taken.

When we finally did get the door to Jordans room open there was evidence that Jordan had had drugs, pot, in his room. There was flakes and stuff all over the carpet which was not vacuumed and on a shelf in the room there was stuff out of a cigar and pot flakes like the tobacco was taken out and pot put in. The cops came over to check out Jordans room and did see that stuff there. Other than that the room was empty.

I keep wondering if Steven had found something out about Jordan's illegal activities. Jordan is pretty young, mid 20's I think but what if he was some kind of drug dealer or something.

Interesting thought. I remember reading that the roommate had drugs there, but did not think anything more of it.

Do you know where Jordan Z is now?
I would call the police and let them know this info.
You could also post this info on FB page of Steven.

Maybe Steven ran into him and things were said or?

I appreciate any new theory.
The one thing I have qualms about with the new theory
is that it does not fit with Steven's known personality traits.
If Steven did anything remotely like this,
IMO
I am thinking more likely he was 'saving' people from coyotes.

I feel like as we reached the point where Steven is making secret trips to places we need to begin to question if the character traits are still the measuring stick as to what is or isn't possible.

-Car was found with 1/2 tank of gas. Supposing his 4 cylinder gets 30mpg (specs say 33mpg highway) and holds 15.2 gallons and he filled up in Mequite that means he did about 200 miles worth of driving between mequite and Henderson. Thats a lot of extra driving. Where did he go?
-Makes few purchases during his time on the road over 4-5 days. This suggest he was using cash. You dont get paid checks or direct deposit for doing illegal jobs.

Let's refine this a bit. I can agree with some, and I see some assumptions in others.

Half a tank of gas would have been 7.6 gallons. Do we know it was found exactly "half full" or someone just looked at the gauge and saw it was kinda-halfway?
At 30 mpg, getting optimal highway mileage only, he could driven about 228 miles on a half-tank of gas.
It's almost exactly 100 miles between where his car was found, and where he last bought gas. So, there's 118 miles left....and we know some of his driving was off-interstate (he went through the town of Mesquite to get to that Shell station, and the car was found miles off I-15).

Would he have been driving to Vegas, picking up illegals and taking them to Northern Utah, Idaho and Northern Nevada?

Would he use his own car to do that (his would only hold 3 other people with all the other stuff inside it), or drive a vehicle (van) that held more people?

That could account for the car being "left" - but why in a neighborhood that's highly patrolled.

Under this theory, if the Ruby Valley stop was connected to something like this, it would have had to have been on the way back....because otherwise, he'd have had a carful of illegals at Annemarie's family's home.

Wouldn't the illegals need their coats...especially if they were going further north?

I know posters have said they have struggled with a timeline.

ACandyRose has worked on complicated timelines.
I pm'd to see if there is a possibility of working on Steven's timeline.

I hope that is okay.

I'm just getting up to speed on this case so pardon if this has been discussed.

I have a few thoughts on why he would park down the street from a house he was going to visit:

- Because the driveway and space in front of the house is full with cars. I've lived in places where my neighbors would get upset if my guests parked in front of their houses. Perhaps there was a vacant area or house down the street.

- Because he was visiting somebody who has a jealous significant other or ex. She or he would not want to have to explain why there was a strange car in the driveway. Could be involved in a divorce.

Also, do we know the exact cul-de-sac where the car was left? We can do a search on white pages or 411 and get the names of the people who live on the street and sleuth them.

Welcome stilllooking.

It is good to have someone here on WS who knows Steven.

Are you in touch with family members?
Not myself but my husband has talked to his mother and father.

respectfully snipped for space'
I keep wondering if Steven had found something out about Jordan's illegal activities. Jordan is pretty young, mid 20's I think but what if he was some kind of drug dealer or something.

Interesting thought. I remember reading that the roommate had drugs there, but did not think anything more of it.

Do you know where Jordan Z is now?
I would call the police and let them know this info.
You could also post this info on FB page of Steven.

Maybe Steven ran into him and things were said or?

Sorry for the super long post! I've been trying to post for a few days but had to register and then wait for ever for the mods to turn on my posting priviledge!

Yes we know where Jordan is & where he works. So do the police.

The police have questioned Jordan but I don't know it into how much detail.

We have since heard rummors (from an Orem officer even!) that Jordan was one of the biggest drug dealers in St. George!

If he was, it was not obvious, at least to us or he would have been evicted. Steven never said anything to my husband about Jordan and drugs either so I have no idea if or what Steven knew. Jordan did keep his room locked and when we finally got the room open there was the evidence that drugs had been in his room.

I do not think Steven is the type to knowingly participate in illegal activities. I do however think he, as many of could be, given the right circumstances, be dupped into something illegal, or a situation where he could be taken advantage of.

I think it is believed by the family that he was close by on the 12th when he gassed up in Springerville. I also assume that its believed he went through Salt Lake to get to Ruby valley which would be the second time. I realize its futher mile wise. But it is faster by a small margin. Suggesting that he took the shorter route mile wise means his trip was deliberate to Ruby Valley and that it was his sole purpose for that leg of the trip. A stretch especially considering its a 10 hour drive and he would have needed to leave the night before after the christmas party to get there by 11:00am.

I'm easily confused. Help me out.
You've got access to receipts with dates and times that show where he stopped?
A second time to Ruby Valley?

Springerville is in Arizona.
Naegle's timeline says he stopped for gas in Springville, Utah two days after he was in Ruby Valley.

I'm using Microsoft Streets & Trips mapping software.

It shows it to be significantly faster and 200 miles shorter, to NOT go through Salt Lake City to get to Ruby Valley.

Leave at 7:00am and drive from St George, Utah to Ruby Valley, Nevada
Via US-93: 7.5 hours, 355.8 miles (arr 2:21 pm)
Via I-15/I-80: 9.1 hours, 543 miles (arr 4:07 pm)

(I'm sorry, I'm very detail-oriented.....)

I'm just getting up to speed on this case so pardon if this has been discussed.

I have a few thoughts on why he would park down the street from a house he was going to visit:

- Because the driveway and space in front of the house is full with cars. I've lived in places where my neighbors would get upset if my guests parked in front of their houses. Perhaps there was a vacant area or house down the street.

- Because he was visiting somebody who has a jealous significant other or ex. She or he would not want to have to explain why there was a strange car in the driveway. Could be involved in a divorce.

Also, do we know the exact cul-de-sac where the car was left? We can do a search on white pages or 411 and get the names of the people who live on the street and sleuth them.

Hi, welcome!

Yes, we know the exact location of the cul-de-sac. Here's the satellite view of the neighborhood. Zoom in and out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...34,-115.101829&spn=0.018136,0.029912&t=h&z=15

Steven's father, the police and (as we just learned from a Davis Clipper article) about three PIs have talked to all the neighbors...at least those on Savannah Springs. We believe he walked up Evening Lights.

As you read further, you'll find videos that show Steven walking on the street, and that there were few cars parked.

Stay around!
Our hair hurts ;)

We have since heard rummors (from an Orem officer even!) that Jordan was one of the biggest drug dealers in St. George!

There's a great website where you can look up someone by name, and see their on-record Utah convictions.
Because people are booked under variations of their name, it's best to just enter their last name, and then scroll through until you see if they are listed:

http://utahsright.com/h_charges.php

If Jordan Z. has a conviction, it's a matter of public record.

I'm easily confused. Help me out.
You've got access to receipts with dates and times that show where he stopped?
A second time to Ruby Valley?

Springerville is in Arizona.
Naegle's timeline says he stopped for gas in Springville, Utah two days after he was in Ruby Valley.

I'm using Microsoft Streets & Trips mapping software.

It shows it to be significantly faster and 200 miles shorter, to NOT go through Salt Lake City to get to Ruby Valley.

Leave at 7:00am and drive from St George, Utah to Ruby Valley, Nevada
Via US-93: 7.5 hours, 355.8 miles (arr 2:21 pm)
Via I-15/I-80: 9.1 hours, 543 miles (arr 4:07 pm)

(I'm sorry, I'm very detail-oriented.....)

Me saying SpringERville instead of Springville is a result of me being an Arizonan. My mistake. Good catch.

I didn't mean to make anyone think Im suggesting he made two trips to Ruby Valley. I think he went to Ruby on the 8th and got gas in Sprinerville on the 10th just like the timeline states.

Assuming your 7.5 hr number using US-93 is correct he still would have had to leave very early. What do you suppose was his reason for making a 7.5hr+ trip unannounced to Ruby Valley was?

My theory was that he went through SLC not because it was faster or easier or more familiar. But because he had a reason to go that route for some purpose. And that likely his stop in Ruby Valley was also along his route or near to another one of his purposes. If he had NO connection to SLC at any point during that trip why did he come home that way and stop in Springville for gas?

These unexplained last minute visits could just have been his way of seeing some of these people for the last time, without coming out and saying it.

I think so, too. Rambling car rides, and evidently no one to deeply confide in. Looking for someone from the past....trying to find the past, but not acting on it when he finds things have changed. Annemarie's no longer there, as he remembered.

I thought about this last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, and decided that the car's location was random. He didn't want to leave it on the parkway, so took a couple of turns and ended up at a dead-end. Started walking.

I'd love to think he was heading to an appointment, but I think he was steeling himself for something else. Maybe a Christ-like praying and fasting in the mountains.

Hi, welcome!

Yes, we know the exact location of the cul-de-sac. Here's the satellite view of the neighborhood. Zoom in and out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...34,-115.101829&spn=0.018136,0.029912&t=h&z=15

Steven's father, the police and (as we just learned from a Davis Clipper article) about three PIs have talked to all the neighbors...at least those on Savannah Springs. We believe he walked up Evening Lights.

As you read further, you'll find videos that show Steven walking on the street, and that there were few cars parked.

Stay around!
Our hair hurts ;)
Thanks. So obviously looking at the map the cul-de-sac where he parked is the only area where there are no houses. So he was unable to park in front of the house he was visiting because all the space in front of it was full or he didn't want somebody to see his car or more likely a strange car in front of the house. That brings up the question of how far he walked. We know he went down Evening Lights. He could have continued on to Portsmouth Creek or Marion Center Court.

I'm sure the neighbors were asked if they remembered a house with a bunch of cars in front of it that day, or a house which normally has a bunch of cars in front of it which would lead Steven to parking his car in an empty space around the corner. If not, they probably should be asked about that.

Also, here is a list of the people who live on Evening Lights if that hasn't been posted:
http://www.whitepages.com/search/Replay?facebook_count=0&linkedin_count=0&lower=11&parent_search_id=80141343056974942500&search_id=80141343056974942500&search_type=findneighbors&twitter_count=0

....and we know some of his driving was off-interstate (he went through the town of Mesquite to get to that Shell station, and the car was found miles off I-15).

The difference in range we would get from calculating his decreased mileage from the Mequite shell station to the freeway and the freeway to Henderson is pretty negligable. But for arguments sake I think its safe to assume he drove an extra 70-100 miles that day.

Me saying SpringERville instead of Springville is a result of me being an Arizonan. My mistake. Good catch.

Assuming your 7.5 hr number using US-93 is correct he still would have had to leave very early. What do you suppose was his reason for making a 7.5hr+ trip unannounced to Ruby Valley was?

My theory was that he went through SLC not because it was faster or easier or more familiar. But because he had a reason to go that route for some purpose. And that likely his stop in Ruby Valley was also along his route or near to another one of his purposes. If he had NO connection to SLC at any point during that trip why did he come home that way and stop in Springville for gas?

When I mapped those two routes, I input a 7:00 am departure time.

It'd be nice to have a complete inventory of the car's contents, including all receipts. Even if he paid cash for things, there could be receipts in the bags....and they have information.

The total absence of receipts, OR gaps in the receipts, could mean that he turned those receipts in for reimbursement.

We can make assumptions around a timeline, but we can't have assumptions ON a timeline. We can only place him somewhere, if we have confirming data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member