Deceased/Not Found VA - Melissa Brannen, 5, Lorton, 3 Dec 1989 *C. Hughes guilty*

How do you get to the Facebook group?

Hiya Jules,

The outside link to the facebook page was deleted by staff. WS Admin were contacted directly by folks who claimed to be speaking on behalf of the woman at the center of the facebook page, and the info forwarded to LTWH volunteers. So far we have not received the answers we are looking for from anyone involved; we get "go to the facebook page" instead of a reply.

As mentioned, I am so sorry for Tiffany/Alexis if her stories of kidnapping are true-and if they are, we are more then willing to start her a separate thread and sleuth this out. There are simple steps to be taken to verify the legitimacy of her claims that do not need to involve the Brannen family right now.

Those that know the page are more then welcome to bring info here, but I'm not willing to 'drive' people there from here until I know it's all legit. JMO, FWIW.

This is a thread for Melissa Brannen, correct?

If you have someone that has been deemed to be a kidnapped child or adult and needs help with her ID, I think it is fair to start a thread with her name and all of the relevant info so that the sleuthers here who are willing can help her sleuth it out.

All I can say is WOW to the deleting of posts WOW

As for Tiffany ,ALL the information needed is in the facebook group .

I do not understand. The cousins came to us, to admin, case was given to me to sleuth. We quickly responded, we have asked questions with no responses. So WOW, why not answer our questions that we emailed???

If this girl was kidnapped, again, start a thread and we will sleuth. Not understanding the issue here. If it leads back to Melissa then fine. At this time, we can't find a connection. So, let's sleuth it and figure it out. Start a thread if you wish to do so. We are here to help, sincerely.

Hiya Jules,

The outside link to the facebook page was deleted by staff. WS Admin were contacted directly by folks who claimed to be speaking on behalf of the woman at the center of the facebook page, and the info forwarded to LTWH volunteers. So far we have not received the answers we are looking for from anyone involved; we get "go to the facebook page" instead of a reply.

As mentioned, I am so sorry for Tiffany/Alexis if her stories of kidnapping are true-and if they are, we are more then willing to start her a separate thread and sleuth this out. There are simple steps to be taken to verify the legitimacy of her claims that do not need to involve the Brannen family right now.

Those that know the page are more then welcome to bring info here, but I'm not willing to 'drive' people there from here until I know it's all legit. JMO, FWIW.

Repeat.

Fallen Cookies and whoever else may read this

Please just do as is suggested by the wonderful Christine and Believe

Christine has her email in her addy , email her and ask her to start a thread for Tiffany/Alexis

OR PM me and I will do it

OR do one yourself

Possible Kidnapping Victim Tiffany/Alexis (surname) and DOB

And then LIST all the details

Then let the good people of here sleuth it out for you

AS Christine said if the road leads back to Melissa then that is GREAT and there will be a happy conclusion all round.

But being deceptive, or distant , or not forthcoming shrouds things in doubt

Please just listen to me and do what was asked - There is no denying the similarities between the two but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things

I know, Im adopted and Ive seen many things happen in searches and reunions

Please just do a new thread (For now)

Christine has her email in her addy , email her and ask her to start a thread for Tiffany/Alexis

OR do one yourself

AS Christine said if the road leads back to Melissa then that is GREAT and there will be a happy conclusion all round.

Please just listen to me and do what was asked - There is no denying the similarities between the two but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things

How is anyone being deceptive, distant or not forthcoming? Everything is right there in black and white. The people who are investigating are Melissa's cousins who knew her, played with her, and loved her. There is no scam, nothing of the sort. If people here are too lazy to look elsewhere, then I guess our affiliation with this board is (un)fortunately over.

OR do one yourself

How is anyone being deceptive, distant or not forthcoming? Everything is right there in black and white. The people who are investigating are Melissa's cousins who knew her, played with her, and loved her. There is no scam, nothing of the sort. If people here are too lazy to look elsewhere, then I guess our affiliation with this board is (un)fortunately over.

ETA: I happen to be a researcher myself, and trust me, all that can sleuthed without DNA from the immediate family has been sleuthed out, a lot by yours truly. And no I'm not a cousin. Tiffany has offered her DNA information and has contacted the proper authorities and everything has been done properly. Now it's up to the family who can shed light on this. No one here can do anymore than all that has been accomplished already.

ETA: I happen to be a researcher myself, and trust me, all that can sleuthed without DNA from the immediate family has been sleuthed out, a lot by yours truly. And no I'm not a cousin. Tiffany has offered her DNA information and has contacted the proper authorities and everything has been done properly. Now it's up to the family who can shed light on this. No one here can do anymore than all that has been accomplished already.

I didn't say anyone was being

I just said being those things will shroud things in doubt

Seriously what is the issue ?

I don't get it ?

Someone needs to get a post going. Send me the info I will do it myself even !

What is the problem ? I really do not understand

Listen I am adopted, and you do not just barge into another persons life and just announce that you are related and thats the end of it (and usually adopted people have proof - ie birth certificates)

This isn't facebook This is WS and the information needs to be presented here in a WS fashion.

so send me or whoever else you like the information and lets get a thread going for Tiffany.

Its NOT going to hurt the cause it can only help it

This case is so eerie. Melissa Brannen, 5, seemingly vanishes into thin air at a Christmas party in front of tons of people and despite a suspect being questioned and arrested, they never locate a body. Two decades have now come and gone and her case is still cold.

I did a google search for Melissa Brannen and came accross this:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=6250307292&topic=6528

It seems there is a young woman named 'Alexis' out there who believes she may be Melissa. What is everyone's opinion on this? Was this a hoax? I just wish this girl could be found once and for all and put an end to this lurid mystery.

This case is so eerie. Melissa Brannen, 5, seemingly vanishes into thin air at a Christmas party in front of tons of people and despite a suspect being questioned and arrested, they never locate a body. Two decades have now come and gone and her case is still cold.

It seems there is a young woman named 'Alexis' out there who believes she may be Melissa. What is everyone's opinion on this? Was this a hoax? I just wish this girl could be found once and for all and put an end to this lurid mystery.

rusty's mom, i think, as you know, since jaycee was found after a slightly shorter time then this, anything is possible.
im just wondering if the familly had a dna test run and it came back negative, and that's why there's a commeent on thsre saying 'leave micheal and his family alone' to whover ran this article.
whatever the case is, i dont think she was pulling a hoax. i think she believed it was possible, she's had a rough life and honestly, with the things she was told/heard herself, i could see why she might think she is melissa, or another missing child.

LE does not believe she is Melissa. We actually had some of the young woman's supporters posting with us last year, but there are still some steps for her to take before she can be ruled out as being biologically related to the family she was raised by....I am not sure where she is in that process.

Melissa's family is active on the Internet and I would hate for all of this to start up for them again-her mother has suffered terribly through the years with a number of leads like this one... Melissa's killer was successfully prosecuted for her kidnapping and death. I spoke with the detectives who handled the case and who have it now-Melissa's DNA was in the kidnapper's vehicle. And her hair and rabbit fur from her coat. There is not a doubt in their minds that Melissa is deceased.

Tiffany/Alexis may well be a missing child-my heart goes out to her in her quest to find out!!!!

LE does not believe she is Melissa. We actually had some of the young woman's supporters posting with us last year, but there are still some steps for her to take before she can be ruled out as being biologically related to the family she was raised by....I am not sure where she is in that process.

Melissa's family is active on the Internet and I would hate for all of this to start up for them again-her mother has suffered terribly through the years with a number of leads like this one... Melissa's killer was successfully prosecuted for her kidnapping and death. I spoke with the detectives who handled the case and who have it now-Melissa's DNA was in the kidnapper's vehicle. And her hair and rabbit fur from her coat. There is not a doubt in their minds that Melissa is deceased.

Tiffany/Alexis may well be a missing child-my heart goes out to her in her quest to find out!!!!

i agree. i think alexis might actually be another missing child.
do you know for sure though, if her dna was run against melissas?

Interesting, if you read the second to last post on the fb thread someone named Bruce wrote;
What I would like to know is why is this facebook page still up and running. The Brannen family asked you thru me 6 months ago to shut it down. Now please do shut it down and stop pestering Michael and his family.

The fb thread is part of the Washington Post's face book but the person (Amy) who wrote the thread and info about Alexis does not appear to be a writer for them. She said in the last thread that she was suprised that the Washington Post had it on there.

There was someone convicted in her abduction

www.doenetwork.org/cases/159dfva.html

Melissa Lee Brannen
Missing since December 3, 1989 from Lorton, Fairfax County, Virginia.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: April 13, 1984
Age at Time of Disappearance: 5 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 38 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: A burn scar on her right forearm.
Clothing: A navy blue sweater with a yellow Big Bird applique; a blue and red plaid skirt; red tights; black patent leather shoes with gold bows; and a pink hooded jacket.

Circumstances of Disappearances
Brannen was last seen during a holiday party at the Woodside Apartment Clubhouse in Lorton, Virginia on December 3, 1989.
She lived with her mother in the apartment complex at the time. She disappeared from the festivities and has never been seen again.
Caleb D. Hughes was developed as a suspect within hours of the abduction. Hughes was employed as a groundskeeper at Woodside Apartments at the time of Brannen's disappearance. The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) examined blood and fiber evidence from Hughes' vehicle in the weeks following Brannen's disappearance. He was convicted of abducting Brannen in 1991 and sentenced to 50 years in prison. Melissa has never been found.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Brannen's whereabouts or the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, please contact:
Fairfax County Sheriff's Department
Lt. John DeMaria
703-246-7800

OR
703-2456-7890

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
NCMEC #:
NCMC732677

NCIC Number:
M-395923188
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

There is a Forensic Files episode and an FBI Files episode about Melissa Brannen. The Forensic Files title is Innocence Lost, it aired in 2005. The FBI files episode is available on youtube.

i agree. i think alexis might actually be another missing child.
do you know for sure though, if her dna was run against melissas?

Her dna has to be run against her own family before anyone will revisit running it against the Brannen's. Which I think is fair given that there is a perp who was convicted and LE believes 100% that she is deceased.

Back in 2005, I had started a thread here in Cold Cases on Melissa Brannen's disappearance. It was one which received a lot of hits and replies. It seems to have disappeared for some reason. I was able, however, to find a similar posting that I had made to the Children missing in America section of Websleuths. Here it is with an updated link:

-----------------------------------------------------

Melissa Lee Brannen Missing since 3 Dec 1989 from Lorton, VA
Melissa Lee Brannen Missing since December 3, 1989 from Lorton, VA

Melissa Lee Brannen
Missing since December 3, 1989 from Lorton, Fairfax County, Virginia.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 13, 1984
Age at Time of Disappearance: 5 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 38 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: A burn scar on her right forearm.
Clothing: A navy blue sweater with a yellow Big Bird applique; a blue and red plaid skirt; red tights; black patent leather shoes with gold bows; and a pink hooded jacket.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Melissa Lee Brannen was last seen during a holiday party at the Woodside Apartment Clubhouse in Lorton, Virginia on December 3, 1989. Her family resided in the apartment complex at the time. She disappeared from the festivities and has never been seen again.

Caleb D. Hughes was developed as a suspect within hours of the abduction. Hughes was employed as a groundskeeper at Woodside Apartments at the time of Brannen's disappearance. The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) examined blood and fiber evidence from Hughes' vehicle in the weeks following Brannen's disappearance. He was convicted of abducting Brannen with the intent to defile in 1991.

Two other men were convicted of attempting to extort ransom momey from Brannen's mother shortly after her daughter's disappearance. The individuals were not connected to her actual abduction.

If you have any information concerning Brannen's whereabouts or the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, please contact:

Fairfax County Sheriff's Department , Lt. John DeMaria , 703-246-7800 OR
703-2456-7890

NCIC Number: M-395923188
The Doe Network: Case File 159DFVA

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

Link:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/159dfva.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online