Starting from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be worth adding Powell ? Amnesia victim, may have Powell surname based on y-dna testing. Please see links to further information to determine if you know this man.

None of the Powells that are listed are close to a possible for Mr. Kyle.

Carolwoods post [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4808230&postcount=399"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Questions Specifically for Benjaman[/ame] in the questions for Benjaman thread got me thinking of some other ideas.

1) I am compiling a list of any Powells I can find through google who are some how associated with the Catholic Church in Indianapolis. I'm hoping, with a long history with the church, perhaps they may recognize BK. In doing so, I also found a 74 yr old Catholic nun in Indianapolis who has 52 years of teaching experience. I'm including her, because it is possible she may have known BK at some time. Because the Indiana Diocese is only about as far north as the north end of Indianapolis, I will have to do an additional search for the diocese just north of Indianapolis. It's likely even if Benjaman grew up near Indianapolis his family was in the other diocese.

I realize this is a hit and miss, but everything we are doing here is like looking for the haystack and then to find the needle in the haystack kind of thing. I will either email or snail mail. While working on the Anna Waters case for so long, it was determined rather than spending a ton of time researching any possible Anna's or how an adoptee might have come to a family who might be Anna, just to make direct contact and they either recognize or it sounds familiar or not, so I am taking the same approach here with Benjamans case.

It also occured to me some people watch the news for only sports and weather, so there is a big chance BK's media didn't make it to as many people who might know him.

I was also wondering what others thoughts are about a mass mailing of a one page flier to any Powells currently residing in Indianapolis (for a start) who are listed in the white pages. We could even look into having a postcard made or bulk mail rates. I think people would be more apt to look at something that was short and only took a minute to glance at to see if it is of interest than a mass email which would likely make it to a spam folder. It might be a possibility with a bulk mail rate.

Thoughts?

Carolwoods post Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Questions Specifically for Benjaman in the questions for Benjaman thread got me thinking of some other ideas.

1) I am compiling a list of any Powells I can find through google who are some how associated with the Catholic Church in Indianapolis. I'm hoping, with a long history with the church, perhaps they may recognize BK. In doing so, I also found a 74 yr old Catholic nun in Indianapolis who has 52 years of teaching experience. I'm including her, because it is possible she may have known BK at some time. Because the Indiana Diocese is only about as far north as the north end of Indianapolis, I will have to do an additional search for the diocese just north of Indianapolis. It's likely even if Benjaman grew up near Indianapolis his family was in the other diocese.

I realize this is a hit and miss, but everything we are doing here is like looking for the haystack and then to find the needle in the haystack kind of thing. I will either email or snail mail. While working on the Anna Waters case for so long, it was determined rather than spending a ton of time researching any possible Anna's or how an adoptee might have come to a family who might be Anna, just to make direct contact and they either recognize or it sounds familiar or not, so I am taking the same approach here with Benjamans case.

It also occured to me some people watch the news for only sports and weather, so there is a big chance BK's media didn't make it to as many people who might know him.

I was also wondering what others thoughts are about a mass mailing of a one page flier to any Powells currently residing in Indianapolis (for a start) who are listed in the white pages. We could even look into having a postcard made or bulk mail rates. I think people would be more apt to look at something that was short and only took a minute to glance at to see if it is of interest than a mass email which would likely make it to a spam folder. It might be a possibility with a bulk mail rate.

Thoughts?
What a great idea, I vote for postcards! Another thought would be the legals in classifieds. This is not very expensive(or wasn't when I worked in the industry) and could be run for say 1 week.

Another thought, Catholic Diocese around here have a monthly paper they print, what about checking other's to see if they have one?

Another thought, Catholic Diocese around here have a monthly paper they print, what about checking other's to see if they have one?

In my area, Diocese of Joliet - right outside of Chicago both are pretty large. I've never seen a monthly news letter by any of the catholic churches around here or either diocese, usually just the weekly bulletin and the list of Catholic Churches in both diocese would be a mile long. However, if we find any catholic churches in Indy or if either diocese does print one, that would be a fantastic idea! Especially if it sent to, or available at Mass for all the parishoners to pick up.

What a great idea, I vote for postcards! Another thought would be the legals in classifieds. This is not very expensive(or wasn't when I worked in the industry) and could be run for say 1 week.

Good idea. We should get a list of newspapers in the INDY area. Sometimes people only look at the classifieds for yard sales and such. In some cases, the newspapers will do it for free. They might even consider allowing a classified to run without cost.

Another idea, and I can't recall where here at WS this was posted, but in the past people have used highway billboards. I wonder if BK would ok that idea, and if possible we could either find a billboard company to donate the use free for a month, or if they won't perhaps the guy handling that documentary can find some ways to budget the use of billboards in IN and CO to promote the documentary and help identify BK.

I think postcards have a bulk rate too... will have to check into that this week.

I took a quick look, bulk rate post card are not any kind of 'deal' according to the marketing sites. The regular post card rate seems to be the best.

Now, thinking on the time line, if BK left in the late 60's there might not be a whole lot of Powells left in Indianapolis. At least that would know him.

Still brain storming. Maybe any Powells who are realtors in the area? Realtors are always looking for some kind of something to be like that balloon and stand out in a crowd. I found a Powell realtor in Vail Colorado, who has a cool gig as an entertainer and actually sings on stage a few nights a week when he is not selling homes. Why is that important? heck, I remembered his last name and the city he works in... out of the hundreds, if not thousands of possibles we have looked at. We need someone like that, someone with a niche. BK didn't just appear out of thin air, someone HAS to know his name!

Now, thinking on the time line, if BK left in the late 60's there might not be a whole lot of Powells left in Indianapolis. At least that would know him.

BK didn't just appear out of thin air, someone HAS to know his name!

It could be possible that some of the Powells who lived in Indianapolis in the late 1960's later on could have moved to the suburbs or way out in the country outside of Indianapolis.

It could also be possible that some of the Powells living in Indianapolis from the late 1960's got older and retired, they could have moved to a warmer climate.

Indianapolis is in the center of Indiana. If you were to mail postcards with BK's info to Powells living within 100 miles of Indianapolis, your mailing would reach most of Indiana.

These were my thoughts when I 1st started following Benjaman at another place. I've been saying I was going to copy the info over and finally found it.
I was watching 24 last night. The character Bill Buchanan looks to me to be around Benjaman's age so I looked him up; he was born in 1954. James Morrison/Bill Buchanan link

This is all before my time, but I wonder if this has been considered to figure out his age? The draft was for people born between 1944 and 1952 from what I can see. People born in 1953 were never called.

The Vietnam Lotteries - December 1, 1969 -determined the order of call for induction during calendar year 1970 - for registrants born between January 1, 1944, and December 31, 1950 (all men within the 18-26 age range)

RESULTS FROM LOTTERY FOR MEN FACING THE DRAFT IN 1971 - The highest lottery number called for this group was 125. All men assigned that lottery number or any lower number, and who were classified 1-A or 1-A-O (available for military service), were called to report for possible induction.

RESULTS FROM LOTTERY FOR MEN FACING THE DRAFT IN 1972 - The highest lottery number called for this group was 95; all men assigned that lottery number or any lower number, and who were classified 1-A or 1-A-O (available for military service), were called to report for possible induction.

RESULTS FROM LOTTERY FOR MEN FACING THE DRAFT IN 1973 - The lottery drawing held February 2, 1972, determined the order in which men born in 1953 were called to report for induction into the military. no new draft orders were issued after 1972.

This was a suggestion from someone -
If I wanted to guess.

Real Estate, marketing, consultation and speaking
New Jersey - home
Colorodo - schooling
Indiana - home state

College days at Spanky's - I wonder if anyone has contacted the writer of that blog to see what he could do for Benjaman

Will copy the rest after food shopping..

This is the rest..

From the Dr Phil show -
Carmen says that when she heard Benjaman's dialect, she believed it to be an inland southern dialect. "The states that it would include would be Oklahoma, parts of southern Indiana, Kansas, southern Missouri maybe, maybe parts of Texas. So that’s the area that I’m mostly focusing on, in terms of trying to determine where he’s from," she explains.

Powell Family Tree DNA Project Ben is entry 153 - Group Group R1b1 -

What I originally said to Believe when she posted the DNA stuff was - Interesting, especially since his dialect doesn't cover any of the states that have markers on the page you linked to.

I also think that a special on TLC would be nice.. showing the various people with amnesia..

Another thought I had was using the Xrays of his surgery, they should be able to date the parts that were used. I am not saying to get anything off of the parts except to see if they fall into certain time frames - say 70's or 80's due to what was used. it would be a good start. I doubt his surgeries were done at the same time

Last name Benjaman

Someone posted -
There is a site that is like www.411.com but its only doctors, its posible that this listing will have more then just their phone number, it might be a way to look up all the doctors in a given area. I can't recall the name of it but it shouldn't be hard to find.

It could be possible that some of the Powells who lived in Indianapolis in the late 1960's later on could have moved to the suburbs or way out in the country outside of Indianapolis.

It could also be possible that some of the Powells living in Indianapolis from the late 1960's got older and retired, they could have moved to a warmer climate.

Indianapolis is in the center of Indiana. If you were to mail postcards with BK's info to Powells living within 100 miles of Indianapolis, your mailing would reach most of Indiana.

The cost of maiiing post cards would unfortunately be a few hundred dollars and I just don't have that in the budget right now, so I have to nix the idea. :(

The cost of maiiing post cards would unfortunately be a few hundred dollars and I just don't have that in the budget right now, so I have to nix the idea. :(

Maybe we could all split it up. If we came up with a generic mailing and printed our own...how many are we talking?

I didn't look much farther after I saw there is no difference or almost no difference with post card postage than the regular first class rate.

How many would depend on how many Powells are listed in the white pages, or one of those marketing directories in Indianapolis. I suppose quite a few. It is quite a common surname, and even if we did this, it still does not guaranty us that any of BK's Powell family members still live in Indy.

I'm open to thoughts...

Now, realtors usually do mailings to their client base. They are always looking for something to send out which is of interest to their clients or potential clients. We may get a realtor who is interested in sending out a flier about BK with their mailings if we pop for the flier. The realtor would pop for the postage and their own info.. we would just see if they might add a BK flier with their mailings. Or maybe we could 'solicit' realtors in Indy with a link to a flier.

just trying to think outside the box here.

I think spliting the cost would be fine. I am thinking a genertic post card we could all use and a mailing list, so we don't mail to the same people. Stipulations on post card size is a 4" x 6" or pretty close @ .28 each. Then the purchase of the paper and ink for the printer. Thoughts?

I don't have access to a printer, so I could only help out with a portion of postage costs. But I could do that if someone want's to print up the postcards.

Of course we would need to run labels and get label stickers too.

Unless someone has a program that would run post cards on one side and addresses directly on the post card. I haven't run or printed any mailers in a long time.

It might be less expensive to use a mailing house that prints everything... just get the cost and each pitch in as they can.

I know there used to be a place called Unique Mailing or something like that in Oak Brook or Downers Grove IL. I don't know if there are any in Indy. Maybe we can look for one in Indy and maybe if we approached a mailing house of somekind they would be willing to give a discount since this is to help identifiy Mr. Kyle and not something we are trying to make a profit on....

Something I can't figure out, and maybe it is my search parameters.

If BK's real first name is Benjaman, or his last name is Powell with a different first name, WHY can't I/We even find so much as an archived google news article about a restaurant grand opening, promotion of some kind, expansion to a second or more locations or something along those lines from Colorado in the 80's?

I'm thinking along the lines of this person being quoted by the media, or even named with a picture in the media. If either the name Benjaman, or Powell is correct there HAS to be something out there..... the only reason I can think we can't find it is because neither Benjaman, or Powell are correct names.

I havent given up hope, but has anyone else tried searching along the parameters I mentioned above? Maybe it is just me having no luck and someone else will have better luck with their combination of search words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catheonlineghost