WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people are inebriated , they can become overly sentimental. Reach out to people from their past, that they wouldn't normally, if they were sober. Then end up regretting it.

Often so do people who are suicidal. Wrapping up loose ends, say their goodbyes, etc.

At one of the stops (Lord only knows which one by now) someone commented that she was only a couple of blocks from the interstate. Straight shot.

You think you'd get lost in that case? Really?

If she was inebriated (and she was), if she was in an unfamiliar area, in the wrong lane, trying to comfort her son who is trying to figure out what is going on and may be complaining of hunger, and apparently had a lot of stuff on her mind - yes, it would be easy for her to screw up.

Video of the boys dad at the link:

Lancaster man in WA to find missing son

Updated: Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010, 10:15 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010, 10:15 PM EDT

SEATTLE, W.A. (WIVB) - The search continues in Washington State for a missing mother and son with family ties to western New York. The boy's dad from Lancaster has joined in the search.

Jay Carver said, "I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna find him."

Jay Carver of Lancaster doesn't know what else to do. His 8-year-old son is missing, along with the boys mother. Shantina Smiley and her son Azriel mysteriously disappeared Saturday night. Jay hasn't seen his son in years, but says he had to go the Seattle area to look for him.

"There's just nothing that I can even really bring to words to try to figure out what's going on," said Carver

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/Lancaster-man-in-WA-to-find-missing-son

bbm
Too little, too late . Just my opinion!

Search for mom and son resumes after items discovered on beach

Smiley's stepgrandfather, Silas Smith, said Smiley made the same drive from Silverdale to Castle Rock a couple of weeks ago.
<snip>
Did she see the step-father at that time?

Comments from a Seattle PI article:
http://www.seattlepi.com/soundoff/comment.asp?articleID=416731#826482
I work/travel in this area. They (tried) to eat dinner near where I work. In an attempt to get back to the freeway they turned in the wrong direction. They went down South Bay Road. No direction signs in that area. Locals only. She traveled far out toward Johnston's Point. Again no signage to anywhere. The only store/gas station in the area is closed. Dark. No cell phone (spotty service anyway). No where to stop and easily ask. Very easy to get lost even if you know where you are at and where you are going. Seems hard to understand that they could have met with foul play in such an isolated area. Wet, cold and hungry they certainly would have gone to a house with lights on at that point. I suspect they ended up in the water, one of them went under and the other followed. Sounds like a horror movie..yet less than 35 minutes from downtown Olympia.

I've highlighted my comments below:

This timeline is based off my conversation with Lt. Chris Mealey.

5 p.m. – Shantina and her son leave their home in Silverdale, Washington. Their destination was Castle Rock, Washington (about 50 miles away).

6:45 p.m. – Shantina stops off at an unknown location and calls her fiancé Robb Simmons. She tells him her cell phone was left at home, and she was hoping he could bring it with him on his way to Castle Rock later.

-at this point she should have been lost. why didn't she say anything to him about being lost? I hope they verified that she called him. For all anyone knows, he could have called his own phone from a pay phone. I honestly don't think he's guilty, but I do think that there were some major problems before she left. Also, perhaps she was only calling him to ask him to bring the phone so he would think she was still on her way..throw him off a little bit.

7:55 p.m. – Lt. Mealey says there is video of Shantina stopping off at the Handy Pantry, where she made a purchase and left.

Wine purchase So far she had been on the road for 3 hours to travel 50 miles and did not ask for directions when she purchased this wine.

9:08 p.m. – Shantina stops off at the Martin Way Diner and orders one corndog to go. This is odd because this is a sit down diner, not an establishment you order carry out from. Although she placed the corndog order, she did not pick it up. Instead, police say Shantina walked outside, tripped before getting into her van, and drove off with her son.

9:55 p.m. – Lt. Mealey says there is more surveillance video of Shantina stopping off at a local store on a rural county road. The store was closed, so she left.

10:00 p.m. – Shantina and her son stop off at a residence occupied by an elderly couple. She used the phone in the residence and called her grandfather to say she was lost, and there was an accident of sorts, but she did not elaborate. The elderly couple fed her son a slice of pizza and gave her directions to get back on the main road.

Shantina left the residence, and made a wrong turn. Somehow, she ended up about five miles away on an abandoned beach. When found, her mini-van doors were open, and it was stuck in the sand. It appears she drove far out, and tried to come back to the road. The van got stuck, and she left it there.

Shantina’s family and friends have been searching the area ever since. Initially, Lt. Mealey told me Shantina has no mental health issues, and overall seems to be a responsible mom. I confirmed that Shantina is employed with the Kitsap Medical Group in the billing department, and everyone is distraught that she is missing. Investigators are currently diving into her bank account and cell phone records. Investigators need your leads on this case.

Here is the link to the above:
http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/03/day-4-missing-mom-and-son/

Search for mom and son resumes after items discovered on beach

Smiley's stepgrandfather, Silas Smith, said Smiley made the same drive from Silverdale to Castle Rock a couple of weeks ago.

"She was looking forward to seeing her stepdad and his daughter," Smith said Wednesday. He doesn't think the trip "had anything to do" with Smiley's disappearance.

"We haven't heard nothing," he said. "We're just waiting for good news."

Smiley, whose maiden name was Kanally, lived with her grandmother Carolene and her late husband, Ron Edgell, in Castle Rock while growing up. She also came to live with the Smiths in Brinnon in 2008, Silas Smith said

Snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Simmons said Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who was under a lot of stress and relapsed last week. But he says she would never endanger the boy.

According to court documents, Castle Rock police arrested her April 13, 2005, for driving under the influence of alcohol. Because the arrest was her first DUI, she qualified for deferred prosecution — a chance to have the charge dismissed if she successfully completed alcohol treatment and other requirements. The Department of Licensing showed the charge was due for dismissal this April 13

http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_2f1f3c74-318a-11df-b07e-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story

Now that it's published in the media, in 1991 her grandparents CE and RE filed a petition for custody for Shantina. Just for SS, not her brother.

I can't confirm 100% that it is the same person, but if you click on the ancestry link (posted above), a search for her step-father JWB on the WA court website reveals a rape arrest/conviction in 1991. That would be a good reason for a petition for custody of an 11 year old girl.

From everything I've read, it sounds like Shantina had a rough life. And her MS made it seem like she was really on the right track, enjoying life. So sad.

Now that it's published in the media, in 1991 her grandparents CE and RE filed a petition for custody for Shantina. Just for SS, not her brother.

I can't confirm 100% that it is the same person, but if you click on the ancestry link (posted above), a search for her step-father JWB on the WA court website reveals a rape arrest/conviction in 1991. That would be a good reason for a petition for custody of an 11 year old girl.

From everything I've read, it sounds like Shantina had a rough life. And her MS made it seem like she was really on the right track, enjoying life. So sad.

She has a brother??? And is that the step-father she was to visit ?

Quote:
I work/travel in this area. They (tried) to eat dinner near where I work. In an attempt to get back to the freeway they turned in the wrong direction. They went down South Bay Road. No direction signs in that area. Locals only. She traveled far out toward Johnston's Point. Again no signage to anywhere. The only store/gas station in the area is closed. Dark. No cell phone (spotty service anyway). No where to stop and easily ask. Very easy to get lost even if you know where you are at and where you are going. Seems hard to understand that they could have met with foul play in such an isolated area. Wet, cold and hungry they certainly would have gone to a house with lights on at that point. I suspect they ended up in the water, one of them went under and the other followed. Sounds like a horror movie..yet less than 35 minutes from downtown Olympia.

i thought she turned onto eastbay drive? i havent read any place that it was on south bay rd?

has anyone seen a map that showed the diner and what road she took?

thanks...im trying to catch up...

If it is true about the step-father's criminal history, it could explain why he's not out and about in the media.

According to ancestry, her mother is T.W. and father is JWB

At one of the stops (Lord only knows which one by now) someone commented that she was only a couple of blocks from the interstate. Straight shot.

You think you'd get lost in that case? Really?

I'm one of the people who posted that it's a pretty straight shot. It is, but this is also a very highly congested part of Olympia with many malls and shopping centers.

The roads were not designed to accommodate this level of vehicle traffic, so there are huge backups for some turns. Turning right onto Black Lake Blvd. (where she'd have to turn to get on 101) is one such congested intersection, and it's also a PITA to get over to the left turn lane for the highway onramp.

Instead of turning at Black Lake Blvd., she could have continued straight to get on the highway by SPSCC, but with the twists and turns and less developed parts, it wouldn't necessarily look like a place where you could get on 101 unless you knew you could.

TakeNote, Is it just me or are there an abnormal amount of missing persons around the area you live lately?

When I looked at the area on googlemaps the road along the water looks very dark. How the heck she saw this road down to the water is amazing to me. But she somehow found it. So now she decides and says to her son lets sleep here for the night! She knows drinking all that wine she can't meet up with her BF now. They both fall asleep. It was low tide then, but during the night the water started coming in and surrounded the car. The car is stuck. The water got deeper and deeper and she knows shes in deep trouble. She wakes up her son and they open the car doors in order to push the car out but the water pours inside. She has ruined her boyfriends car. She throws the wine bottle into the water and goes up to the street to find somewhere to sleep. What happens next I dont know. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa