2010.04.19 Judge Strickland IS stepping down

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it....and after reading Richard Hornsby's remark...

I'm not so sure that CM didn't shoot down Baez today, too. I mean like...

Judge Strickland may initiate enough Bar complaints that he won't be able to appear before him again. Ever.

Me thinks CM was armed with a double-barrell shotgun and a couple of knives.

The winner in today's developments is the prosecution.

Judge Perry is a former prosecutor who is a no-nonsense, law and order, black letter law judge. Unless the legal issue is well settled in the defense's favor he will never rule for them; whereas Judge Strickland would be more apt to give an expansive view of the law.

More importantly, Judge Perry is the legislative liaison for the ninth circuit. So you can assure yourself that that the purse strings for the defense budgeting conference will be pulled tight.

The winner in today's developments is the prosecution.

Judge Perry is a former prosecutor who is a no-nonsense, law and order, black letter law judge. Unless the legal issue is well settled in the defense's favor he will never rule for them; whereas Judge Strickland would be more apt to give an expansive view of the law.

More importantly, Judge Perry is the legislative liaison for the ninth circuit. So you can assure yourself that that the purse strings for the defense budgeting conference will be pulled tight.

Then WTH did Mason do this?!?!

I heard you opine that this is exactly who would take over the case (Judge Perry). Certainly Mason had an inkling, too. For the life of me, I do not understand this strategy. Wayyyyy too risky, imo.

A few observations about Cheney Mason ----

1) Make no mistake - this was HIS motion and HIS idea. pinky swear

2) Only CM knows for sure, however it is my belief he filed this in re. future appellate issues and in hopes of more favorable decisions in re. previously denied motions. I certainly can't fathom any other reason.

3) I have yet to hear a single fellow defense attorney from central FL opine that this was a wise choice.

4) BEWARE! This move is evidence of Mr. Mason's shrewd nature. Mr. Mason has publically stated that he is nearing retirement. Therefore, he will probably never have another case in front of Judge Strickland. (why should he care if he po'd JS? no skin off of his back) However, Baez WILL have to face him again. (y'all just think you've heard him stuttering! lol) I am dancing carefully around it, but basically CM doesn't give a damn about his own co-counsel either. Baez should be sleeping with one eye open trying to dodge the next knife in CM's arsenal.

In summary, Cheney Mason isn't going to win any Mr. Congeniality awards around here. :D It was much easier to just deal with an incompetent buffoon.

You pretty much nailed what had been my thoughts. This motion is nothing more than a pissing match by Mason to assert his authority after Strickland put him in his place at Cheney Mason's coming out hearing.

--repectfully snipped

....the visual of Andrea Lyons checking in to the local Motel 6 has me in hysterics! :floorlaugh:

Thank you I am wondering the same. I am from the south but this one is new to me.

This has probably already been answered but I took it to be a "pinching of the shoe" reference. Nobody knows the pain of a man who is being pinched by his own shoe for the sake of his pride or ego. JM interpretation, I could be very wrong.

You know, I really felt like I was punched in the gut when I read this news. I hate to say this (please forgive me for sounding so immature) but I'm getting to the point where I completely view JB and his minions as enemies and not just lawyers doing their job. I know that's not rational but right now I'm caught up in the emotion of the moment and am very, very angry. They just filed another 4 motions and I'm sure the list will go on and on. These days, I have to remind myself more and more that this is about a sweet two-year-old and not an attorney with an over-inflated ego. Okay, I'm pouring myself a glass of wine, now.

The only saving grace was JS's order. It was scathingly brilliant! However, don't be surprised if JB & Co. go on national television to attack JS for the way he wrote the order.

This has probably already been answered but I took it to be a "pinching of the shoe" reference. Nobody knows the pain of a man who is being pinched by his own shoe for the sake of his pride or ego. JM interpretation, I could be very wrong.

Aha, this makes a lot of sense. Thank you :)

Then WTH did Mason do this?!?!

I heard you opine that this is exactly who would take over the case (Judge Perry). Certainly Mason had an inkling, too. For the life of me, I do not understand this strategy. Wayyyyy too risky, imo.

I've come up with a theory that might not be true, but does make some sense where there seems to be none.
It is that CM (and probably AL) all along has wanted KC to take a plea agreement, and for JB to get out of her way. If I recall correctly CM, in comments he made before he was working for KC, thought a plea was her best chance. A defense lawyer of his experience would have to be appalled by how badly JB has handled everything to date. By cooking this motion up, with JB's naive blessing, CM has now manipulated the case so that KC has to face a tougher judge than she did before. This whole move is crazy and reckless unless you want your client to plea. Then it makes sense because it gives you more leverage. Maybe CM wants to put the heat on KC to save her from herself and JB's false optimism.
There is a good chance CM's agenda is not to have a circus of a trial resulting in his client getting sentenced to death.

ETA: I'm happy to get shot down but I have felt bamboozled for hours and when this idea came to me I was quite excited.

You pretty much nailed what had been my thoughts. This motion is nothing more than a pissing match by Mason to assert his authority after Strickland put him in his place at Cheney Mason's coming out hearing.

yay! Credit to you, AZ and other attys. here for helping me learn sooo much.

Thanks sooooo much for dropping by tonight to give us your take on the new developments! :blowkiss:

Way off topic, but I'm LOLverdosing on that one.

I'd be caught dead before whining about shoe pain. Especially in some hot shoes. I just deal until they're broken in. Haha. Guess I share that ego :blushing:

Excuse me as I am coming in late, but isn't Judge Perry black..and doesn't KC make derogatory statements (or am I confused) about black people in jail in her letters?

WFTV reports he's a no-nonsense judge. I appreciated JS for being fair and for being patient despite the buffoonary displayed by the defense team. The defense couldn't have asked for a better judge to work in their favor, IMO. Now they have gotten what they asked for but they may not like the outcome..and how silly would they make themselves look to even suggest that they get yet another judge..

I've come up with a theory that might not be true, but does make some sense where there seems to be none.
It is that CM (and probably AL) all along has wanted KC to take a plea agreement, and for JB to get out of her way. If I recall correctly CM, in comments he made before he was working for KC, thought a plea was her best chance. A defense lawyer of his experience would have to be appalled by how badly JB has handled everything to date. By cooking this motion up, with JB's naive blessing, CM has now manipulated the case so that KC has to face a tougher judge than she did before. This whole move is crazy and reckless unless you want your client to plea. Then it makes sense because it gives you more leverage. Maybe CM wants to put the heat on KC to save her from herself and JB's false optimism.
There is a good chance CM's agenda is not be not a circus of a trial resulting in his client getting sentenced to death.

ETA: I'm happy to get shot down but I have felt bamboozled for hours and when this idea came to me I was quite excited.

I think your theory seems very plausible!!!

Granted, I'm not convinced Cheney Mason's ego won't get in the way, but your theory makes perfect sense to me.

There is a good chance CM's agenda is not be not a circus of a trial resulting in his client getting sentenced to death.

I sure hope you are right. i can't imagine any other reason why someone of CM's experience would even associate with Baez, I've often thought he was close to retirement and maybe just didn't care and saw that they'd openly welcome any and all help from other lawyers..

This case will go down as a the most laughable in US history. Ridiculous from beginning to "middle" so far...With millions of dollars being spent unneccesarily - at the tax-payer's expense - to carry on-and-on drivel...drivel...drivel. I haven't been here for quite a while and "looked in" to see what was going on tonight only to find myself utterly dismayed that NOTHING has happened beyond the usual miscarriage of justice hidden behind agendas that have nothing to do with justice! Poor Caylee. She was just learning to communicate. A little person...She deserved much more. And still does.

I hated visiting here tonight. It totally diminished by belief in justice and fairness. As always, when I've looked in on this circus dancing over the murder of an innocent child.

MOO

It really is hard to watch. I’ve had to remove myself several times and imagine I will be doing so again very soon. As I like to say, this saga is lolling in its own immensity…….to the detriment of justice.

I must say Mr. Hornsby, I rarely agree with you, because you always seem to be so pro-Casey and all into conspiracy theories, IMO!!!!. However I am very impressed with you today, I have actually thanked several of your comments. Thanks for your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingi