Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this article/opinion and I find it rather interesting. I dont believe Morgan was kidnapped /hunted/ raped/ murdered that night.(LE has never released an info like that)
I think Morgan had alternate plans for the evening and left the concert to meet up with someone and party the night away. IMHO her death involved either an overdose or exposure if she passed out in a field. Thats the best way I can fit the few pieces together. And LE has never said "be ware of a killer on the lose". Never said.

Was Morgan Harrington’s Death Accidental?
Published by
Waldo Jaquith
February 9, 2010 in Crime.

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to the RSS feed. Thanks for reading!

Somewhat lost in the hubbub of the back-to-back (-to-back) snowstorms of the past few days is the press conference held by the Virginia State Police in the Morgan Harrington case last Thursday. As the snowstorm bore down on a nervous town that afternoon, the police were holding what struck me as a rather unusual press conference. The nut of the event was that Harrington’s death is being treated as a homicide, and that police want to relay “six key points” to the public. In a press release (Word file), they enumerate them as follows:

1. The person responsible may or may not have a formal connection to Anchorage Farm where Morgan was recovered, but investigators believe the person(s) responsible is likely to have traveled, worked, recreated, or lived in close proximity to this farm or some other nearby property.

2. The person(s) responsible in this tragic incident may have been inclined to return to the farm location during a period of increased stress.

3. Investigators are confident that persons, through no fault of their own, know the person(s) responsible or have knowledge of specific instances whereby the person(s) responsible visited or traveled through the general location of where Morgan’s remains were recovered.

4. Investigators believe the person(s) responsible had specific knowledge, and was comfortable operating in the area, which is a considerable distance from the nearest roadway.

5. This choice of location is quite different from the decision to leave a body on or adjacent to a major public roadway, or some other area accessed with little or no risk.

6. Traveling to the Anchorage Farm location would have created a significant risk for any person unfamiliar with the area, and not comfortable to this type of setting. Farmland like the place where Morgan’s body was discovered presents difficult obstacles such as fences, streams, and difficult terrain variations - such challenges a person unfamiliar with this particular location would most likely have avoided.

Maybe I’m reading too much into these, but there are a few things about this that strike me as odd. The VSP don’t call her death a “murder,” but instead refer to it as “this tragic incident”. The only time that they even classify the nature of Harrington’s death is in the second paragraph, in which they say that her “death is being investigated as a homicide.” They also don’t refer to her killer, or her murderer, but simply as “the person(s) responsible in this tragic incident.” Not responsible for, but responsible in. They also emphasize—indeed, it appears to be the point of this statement—that persons (plural, no parentheses around the “s”) “through no fault of their own, know the person(s) responsible.” Well, yeah, of course: everybody’s known by other people. There must be some reason that they’re pointing this out. They’ve even established a special telephone number (434-709-1685), not for the Harrington case, but for “information specifically related to the Anchorage Farm property,” which seems like an awfully specific reason for a special telephone number. The one thing conspicuously absent from their press conference was any information about how Harrington was killed. The autopsy has been finished. Her funeral has been held. Anything that the VSP knows about how she died has been learned, but that information is being withheld, surely deliberately.

Here is, interestingly, the Code of Virginia’s definition of “homicide”:

The killing of one accidentally, contrary to the intention of the parties, while in the prosecution of some felonious act other than those specified in §§ 18.2-31 and 18.2-32, is murder of the second degree and is punishable by confinement in a state correctional facility for not less than five years nor more than forty years.

Looking at §18.2-31 and §18.2-32, which define capital murder and first and second degree murder, you’ll find all sorts of horrible ways to die, which includes the bulk of the ways that people surely fear that Harrington died. Killing somebody while robbing them, murder for hire, killing somebody after raping them, killing somebody after imprisoning somebody, killing somebody after “lying in wait” for them, premeditated killing, etc., etc. The definition of homicide makes perfectly clear that the death has to be accidental while doing something else illegal, but not so seriously illegal that it’s capital, first, or second degree murder. (For instance, I suppose that a fraternity initiation gone wrong might result in a charge of homicide.) It’s not even considered murder. It’s possible that they start by charging somebody with homicide and then upgrade the charges to murder as they go—using an umbrella term of homicide meaning, basically “somebody died and it’s somebody else’s fault”—but after reading a handful of stories about murders in Virginia over the past few years, I don’t think that’s the case, but I’m far from certain. Though even if it is just an umbrella term, this delicate phrasing by the VSP makes me doubt whether they think it’s murder in the legal sense.

Now, Lord knows I’m no expert in this field, but I think that two things have come together here. The first is the possible signal from the VSP that Harrington’s death was accidental. The second—which involves a real leap of logic—is that this odd series of six points looks to me like a dog whistle press release. It’s meant for just a small number of people to understand. (”Persons” plural, remember?) The VSP believe that there are people who were witness to, had foreknowledge of, or likely learned afterwards of Harrington’s accidental death. (To use our fraternity example, other pledges, or perhaps existing members of the frat.) By not using the word “murder,” by saying “responsible in this tragic incident” and not “responsible for her death,” I think they’re telegraphing the message hey, we know it was an accident—just reach out to us, we’ll understand while trying not to let on to the public that this may have just been an accident. Why? Because a murder is a big deal: it stays in the news, it gets people talking, it triggers a primal response of fear, and it’s more likely to churn up tips. But an accidental death is a tragedy that’s quickly forgotten, that may result in Harrington’s death remaining unsolved.

Like I said, I’m no expert, and I’ve take some leaps of logic here. I’m hoping that some folks familiar with law enforcement can weigh in, my fellow armchair forensics officers and pop linguists can suggest where I’ve gone terribly wrong (or right). I do think it’s clear that this six-points press release is unusual in a way that should tell us something, accidental death or otherwise. But what?

It was most definitely a murder, but I do believe that Det Rader was choosing his words very carefully. I think he avoided the use of those terms on purpose. It's clear he feels that someone in the area or close to the killer knows or suspects something that can lead to his arrest. By framing it as a 'tragedy', it makes it more likely that a friend or family member will come forward. A bit of psyops, if you will.

Well -- do you think the police are withholding critical information, or, do you think maybe they genuinely don't know for sure who the culprit is?

I think you bring up a question we all wonder about...

We could surmise that the VSP are withholding critical information in this case. This assumption can be made from a view point that if they did not have POI in mind and were not in the process of building a case, we would be hearing much more publicly, both from LE and the family. Look at all the cases in the past year that have received national, “Nancy Grace”, type attention. Even after a body is found they still run stories questioning who the killer is until they are found.

Morgan’s case never generated a lot of national attention from the start. And it slowed down from there. Many people feel that this was because they have had a suspect in mind almost from day one. Think about how few press conferences there were. Being from Virginia and having friends in and near Charlottesville I can tell you that many of the locals feel that it is just a matter of time before an arrest is made. Those WS members who post here and live in or near the area will know what I’m talking about.

You may find that the caliber of suspect being investigated in Morgan’s murder is much different from one being considered in the Hailey Cummings case. This suspect may well be educated and come from a powerful, wealthy and influential family in the area. A family that can afford the best legal talent in the country. The suspect’s friends or possible accomplices may be just as wealthy. That may be why the $150,000 reward has not motivated anyone to come forward. LE will have only one chance to build and present an air tight case to the Albemarle County Commonwealth Attorney’s office. They know with the caliber of legal representation that would no doubt be obtained by a “privileged” suspect, there cannot be one mistake made that would cast doubt about someone’s innocence or get the case thrown out of court altogether.

Information critical to a case should be withheld. What possible good would it serve to inform the general public? If it was my loved one I would be begging LE not to release any critical information out of fear of jeopardizing the case. I believe in the end we will discover that the age old scientific axiom of “Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence” as it relates to the progress being made in this investigation, was true.

My thoughts on the shirt...who first mentioned it??who found it? Was it placed there to taunt POLICE or to bring new life to the story?
(Just thinking like the creep that did this)
He may have kept the shirt,just to remind him..to hold it, to use it to ease the urge..the MEDIA coverage..the talk about the case may have kept him excited. The case starts to drop from the spotlight and he feeds the shirt .This new flurry of information,and the talk about it may be keeping the person in check....if the person is a serial killer ...he will strike again...why would he stop?

Respectfully snipped

The shirt was dumped by someone in a spot where he knew it would be found and attention brought to LE about it.
He didn't go and burn the shirt or rid of it in any many ways where it would never be found again.
Morgan's shirt was dumped with intentions of it being found, that would be the main reason of dumping the shirt where it was.

Also why would he/she/they want the shirt found?.. Maybe to distract attention away from another area..

IMO, this killer(s) weren't holding onto the shirt for a trophy, i honestly think they have other trophies they may have kept. Have we ever found out what happened to Morgan's camera from that night? These perps could have taped the whole thing just to watch to relive the crime.

IMO, this guy isn't a serial killer, however if he isn't caught, he will most likely kill again. He isn't a serial killer, yet has great potential to become one, so he needs to be off the street for good.

From what i've read on Morgan's case, i believe that it's likely she was his first victim.
Also there are no other reports of similiar murders around the area.

Ghost, i couldn't agree with you more;
"If it was my loved one I would be begging LE not to release any critical information out of fear of jeopardizing the case."

"I believe in the end we will discover that the age old scientific axiom of “Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence” as it relates to the progress being made in this investigation, was true"
I love the above qoute as well! =)

I have said in the past that i felt perp/s are being protected by money.it would also be foolish for LE to really put the pressure on pois without having the dna evidence in hand.so we will continue to wait until that happens or somebody spills the beans.its obvious no one is going to confess at this point,so lets all hope the judge and jury will remember the heartache they have put the family and friends through.not to say the least what they took away from MORGAN. rest assured there will be no mercy from me.jmt

I check the MH forum everyday in the hopes something new has been found or released.I think the withholding of information has done nothing to help the case.I still believe MH's friends know more than they have told.
I hope there is an arrest, but I don't believe there will be....The lack of truthful information,has stalled and hindered the persons involved from being caught.
I believe the plea meant for the few as stated above was directed to her friends...LE knows they know ...they just don't know which of her associates holds the key but someone very close to MH knows what her plans were, and who she spoke to in the last few days before her death.
Do you believe M was targeted? or Random? or accidental(drug overdose and disposal)?
I have always thought accidental and cover-up....why havn't police warned of a possible serial killer...

I check the MH forum everyday in the hopes something new has been found or released.I think the withholding of information has done nothing to help the case.I still believe MH's friends know more than they have told.
I hope there is an arrest, but I don't believe there will be....The lack of truthful information,has stalled and hindered the persons involved from being caught.

I am confused by your statement about how the lack of "truthful" information is preventing the perps from being caught?
The more information about this case put out there, the more ammo a defense attorney has to use against the prosecution in court and get the perps off on a technicality. So i apologize if i am misunderstanding you, i don't understand what you mean..

I believe the plea meant for the few as stated above was directed to her friends...LE knows they know ...they just don't know which of her associates holds the key but someone very close to MH knows what her plans were, and who she spoke to in the last few days before her death.
Do you believe M was targeted? or Random? or accidental(drug overdose and disposal)?
I have always thought accidental and cover-up....why havn't police warned of a possible serial killer...

BBM reply in blue
In all due respect, Morgan's friends (the ones present that night at the concert) have been cleared by LE, they've also been through a lot.
Their silence made them somewhat suspect at first however, it's likely that if they know who the killer is, they may be scared and afraid to talk.

With the possibility of the suspect(s) coming from extreme wealth, any potential information released in this case can hurt prosecution in court, with some high power defense attorney. Look how high the reward is, and no one is talking...

IMO, i think Morgan was targeted by someone who had an obsession with her, and he raped and murdered her.

I'm not sure where you are hearing about a serial killer, as there isn't one (at least Morgan wasn't killed by one). There are no similiar homicides that match hers.

There will be an arrest, in this case it's not going to happen overnight and patience is a virtue.

LE HAS NOT officially cleared ANYONE in the Morgan Harrington murder investigation.

BBM reply in blue
In all due respect, Morgan's friends (the ones present that night at the concert) have been cleared by LE, they've also been through a lot.

I came across this article/opinion and I find it rather interesting. I dont believe Morgan was kidnapped /hunted/ raped/ murdered that night.(LE has never released an info like that)
I think Morgan had alternate plans for the evening and left the concert to meet up with someone and party the night away. IMHO her death involved either an overdose or exposure if she passed out in a field. Thats the best way I can fit the few pieces together. And LE has never said "be ware of a killer on the lose". Never said.

Was Morgan Harrington’s Death Accidental?
Published by
Waldo Jaquith
February 9, 2010 in Crime.

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to the RSS feed. Thanks for reading!

Somewhat lost in the hubbub of the back-to-back (-to-back) snowstorms of the past few days is the press conference held by the Virginia State Police in the Morgan Harrington case last Thursday. As the snowstorm bore down on a nervous town that afternoon, the police were holding what struck me as a rather unusual press conference. The nut of the event was that Harrington’s death is being treated as a homicide, and that police want to relay “six key points” to the public. In a press release (Word file), they enumerate them as follows:

1. The person responsible may or may not have a formal connection to Anchorage Farm where Morgan was recovered, but investigators believe the person(s) responsible is likely to have traveled, worked, recreated, or lived in close proximity to this farm or some other nearby property.

2. The person(s) responsible in this tragic incident may have been inclined to return to the farm location during a period of increased stress.

3. Investigators are confident that persons, through no fault of their own, know the person(s) responsible or have knowledge of specific instances whereby the person(s) responsible visited or traveled through the general location of where Morgan’s remains were recovered.

4. Investigators believe the person(s) responsible had specific knowledge, and was comfortable operating in the area, which is a considerable distance from the nearest roadway.

5. This choice of location is quite different from the decision to leave a body on or adjacent to a major public roadway, or some other area accessed with little or no risk.

6. Traveling to the Anchorage Farm location would have created a significant risk for any person unfamiliar with the area, and not comfortable to this type of setting. Farmland like the place where Morgan’s body was discovered presents difficult obstacles such as fences, streams, and difficult terrain variations - such challenges a person unfamiliar with this particular location would most likely have avoided.

Maybe I’m reading too much into these, but there are a few things about this that strike me as odd. The VSP don’t call her death a “murder,” but instead refer to it as “this tragic incident”. The only time that they even classify the nature of Harrington’s death is in the second paragraph, in which they say that her “death is being investigated as a homicide.” They also don’t refer to her killer, or her murderer, but simply as “the person(s) responsible in this tragic incident.” Not responsible for, but responsible in. They also emphasize—indeed, it appears to be the point of this statement—that persons (plural, no parentheses around the “s”) “through no fault of their own, know the person(s) responsible.” Well, yeah, of course: everybody’s known by other people. There must be some reason that they’re pointing this out. They’ve even established a special telephone number (434-709-1685), not for the Harrington case, but for “information specifically related to the Anchorage Farm property,” which seems like an awfully specific reason for a special telephone number. The one thing conspicuously absent from their press conference was any information about how Harrington was killed. The autopsy has been finished. Her funeral has been held. Anything that the VSP knows about how she died has been learned, but that information is being withheld, surely deliberately.

Here is, interestingly, the Code of Virginia’s definition of “homicide”:

The killing of one accidentally, contrary to the intention of the parties, while in the prosecution of some felonious act other than those specified in §§ 18.2-31 and 18.2-32, is murder of the second degree and is punishable by confinement in a state correctional facility for not less than five years nor more than forty years.

Looking at §18.2-31 and §18.2-32, which define capital murder and first and second degree murder, you’ll find all sorts of horrible ways to die, which includes the bulk of the ways that people surely fear that Harrington died. Killing somebody while robbing them, murder for hire, killing somebody after raping them, killing somebody after imprisoning somebody, killing somebody after “lying in wait” for them, premeditated killing, etc., etc. The definition of homicide makes perfectly clear that the death has to be accidental while doing something else illegal, but not so seriously illegal that it’s capital, first, or second degree murder. (For instance, I suppose that a fraternity initiation gone wrong might result in a charge of homicide.) It’s not even considered murder. It’s possible that they start by charging somebody with homicide and then upgrade the charges to murder as they go—using an umbrella term of homicide meaning, basically “somebody died and it’s somebody else’s fault”—but after reading a handful of stories about murders in Virginia over the past few years, I don’t think that’s the case, but I’m far from certain. Though even if it is just an umbrella term, this delicate phrasing by the VSP makes me doubt whether they think it’s murder in the legal sense.

Now, Lord knows I’m no expert in this field, but I think that two things have come together here. The first is the possible signal from the VSP that Harrington’s death was accidental. The second—which involves a real leap of logic—is that this odd series of six points looks to me like a dog whistle press release. It’s meant for just a small number of people to understand. (”Persons” plural, remember?) The VSP believe that there are people who were witness to, had foreknowledge of, or likely learned afterwards of Harrington’s accidental death. (To use our fraternity example, other pledges, or perhaps existing members of the frat.) By not using the word “murder,” by saying “responsible in this tragic incident” and not “responsible for her death,” I think they’re telegraphing the message hey, we know it was an accident—just reach out to us, we’ll understand while trying not to let on to the public that this may have just been an accident. Why? Because a murder is a big deal: it stays in the news, it gets people talking, it triggers a primal response of fear, and it’s more likely to churn up tips. But an accidental death is a tragedy that’s quickly forgotten, that may result in Harrington’s death remaining unsolved.

Like I said, I’m no expert, and I’ve take some leaps of logic here. I’m hoping that some folks familiar with law enforcement can weigh in, my fellow armchair forensics officers and pop linguists can suggest where I’ve gone terribly wrong (or right). I do think it’s clear that this six-points press release is unusual in a way that should tell us something, accidental death or otherwise. But what?

You make some interesting points here, however I recall a interview with MH's parents and the mother specifically saying "in the manner in which MH was killed (along the lines of torture)...LE wants any information in regards to the farm in hopes the has some connection or eventually will show up there. <snip> Traveling to the Anchorage Farm location would have created a significant risk for any person unfamiliar with the area, and not comfortable to this type of setting. Farmland like the place where Morgan&#8217;s body was discovered presents difficult obstacles such as fences, streams, and difficult terrain variations - such challenges a person unfamiliar with this particular location would most likely have avoided. <snip>

That is their only hope. This is possibly a repeat murderer (because of the manner of death which was mentioned by MH's parents). I hope MH's parents get justice for their daughter!

I understand that there will be a story about MH in a national magazine, I believe it was Cosmo ... channel 29 reported it Tuesday night but there is nothing on their website now.

Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I do tend to believe that generally speaking the most obvious guess is probably the correct one -- for example, in Morgan's case, the most obvious guess for me is that she was hitchhiking and got picked up by the wrong person...but...since I'm in a "thinking outside of the box" kind of mood tonight -- has there been any discussion of a possible connection between Morgan's death and satanic rituals? Before anyone attacks me about insulting Metallica, I'm not -- k? But I was just reading the lyrics to one of their songs: In the cover song, "The Prince", Metallica openly sing:

"Angel from below . . .
I WISH TO SELL MY SOUL . . .
DEVIL TAKE MY SOUL
with diamonds you repay I don't care for heaven
so don't you look for me to cry
AND I WILL BURN IN HELL from the day I die."

And -- I was just pondering whether there might have been some disturbed souls at the concert who were into satanic activity and might have decided to find a victim. (yeah, I know, it sounds crazy). Truthfully, I don't know most of the details pertaining to the condition of Morgan's body, the way it was found (posed or not), what was missing, or any other details that might relate to cult activity.

I understand that there will be a story about MH in a national magazine, I believe it was Cosmo ... channel 29 reported it Tuesday night but there is nothing on their website now.
The May issue of Cosmopolitan ran an article about Morgan's story titled How a Girls' Night Out Turned to Tragedy by Kimberly Goad.

Oh -- I apologize -- I just did a quick search and saw that this aspect has been discussed on other boards already -- hmm, maybe even on this board. If so, I'm sorry! Just trying to look at all the angles.

I don't see how Morgan's death could really be considered accidental.

"&#8220;A monster walks among you,&#8221; Gil Harrington says, calling her daughter&#8217;s killer a &#8220;violent, sadistic and dangerous man.&#8221;

Although a medical examiner quickly ruled 20-year-old Morgan&#8217;s death a homicide after her body was discovered January 26, police have been silent in recent weeks and have released no further information on her cause of death.

However, her parents, both medical professionals, say signs of violence were obvious on their daughter&#8217;s remains, which were released from evidence and returned to them in February.

&#8220;He chooses to kill in a savage and brutal way,&#8221; says Gil Harrington, an oncology nurse, of her daughter&#8217;s killer, &#8220;to break her bones before he murdered her.&#8221; Dan Harrington, a psychiatrist, confirms that his daughter&#8217;s skeleton showed &#8220;brutal damage.&#8221;

While the Harringtons won&#8217;t say which of Morgan&#8217;s bones were broken&#8212; and acknowledge that they do not yet know her actual cause of death, pending the release of the official autopsy report&#8212; they remain convinced that the person responsible is an experienced criminal and may be a convicted sex offender.

&#8220;This is not his first crime,&#8221; Gil Harrington says. &#8220;He has upped his game in a significant and disturbing way.&#8221; "

Yup it was in my Cosmo magazine I got a couple weeks ago. Very touching. Worth a read.

i just thought i would throw his out there.i think about this case a lot.and at times i get a feeling that a female is involved.the reason i say this is because of missing items that i dont understand a male/s keeping.also the placement of items in this case.at times to me it just feels like it could be a jealousy issue.maybe i am crazy.jmt

i just thought i would throw his out there.i think about this case a lot.and at times i get a feeling that a female is involved.the reason i say this is because of missing items that i dont understand a male/s keeping.also the placement of items in this case.at times to me it just feels like it could be a jealousy issue.maybe i am crazy.jmt

That's a very interesting observation.

just checking to see if there have been any further advances......

re above that it was accidental.....I too dont think so because of what the parents said about her bones being broken....

personally I think it was a crime of opportunity that got out of hand.....she either hitchhiked or went off with someone to further "party" and they have tried it on her and she rebuked their advances and it then turned into more of a brutal rape situation.....

by the way do they know if she was sexually assualted????? sorry if this has already been determined but I cant remember if they ever said she was......

“He chooses to kill in a savage and brutal way,” says Gil Harrington, an oncology nurse, of her daughter’s killer, “to break her bones before he murdered her.”

With all due respect to the mother, the statement that the bones were broken BEFORE he murdered her seems like speculation. How could she know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare