WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officials said the murder knife was only sold as part of a Maxam sportsman's cutlery set. Within the Wenatchee area, the set was only sold at Stans Merry Mart on South Wenatchee Avenue within the past two years.

two sets were also given away at 5-T’s Restaurant and Lounge in East Wenatchee as a pull tab prize.

The set is manufactured by Maxam and has a unique black-and-gray handle.

Wenatchee police spokesman Capt. Doug Jones said a knife from this type of set was found near Mackenzie's body, and was used to kill her.

He said information about the knife was not immediately released because it would only have been known by the killer and investigators, and could have been an important clue in questioning suspects.

http://www.komonews.com/news/98522269.html

Officials said the murder knife was only sold as part of a Maxam sportsman's cutlery set. Within the Wenatchee area, the set was only sold at Stans Merry Mart on South Wenatchee Avenue within the past two years.

two sets were also given away at 5-T’s Restaurant and Lounge in East Wenatchee as a pull tab prize.

The set is manufactured by Maxam and has a unique black-and-gray handle.

Wenatchee police spokesman Capt. Doug Jones said a knife from this type of set was found near Mackenzie's body, and was used to kill her.

He said information about the knife was not immediately released because it would only have been known by the killer and investigators, and could have been an important clue in questioning suspects.

WOW, that's huge!! It's only been sold at ONE store in Wenatchee for the past 2 years. I'd think that 5-T's Resturant will absolutely have a record of who won those knife sets....and I'd think that, between inventory records and sales reciepts, Stan's Merry Mart would have to keep records for the past 2 years. It may take some time, but this is really exciting news. I'm betting there just aren't that many of these knive sets in Wenatchee....and I'm betting that someone, somewhere has been fishing or hunting with a guy who was using this knife set.....or who is missing just one knife from his set.

WOW, that's huge!! It's only been sold at ONE store in Wenatchee for the past 2 years. I'd think that 5-T's Resturant will absolutely have a record of who won those knife sets....and I'd think that, between inventory records and sales reciepts, Stan's Merry Mart would have to keep records for the past 2 years. It may take some time, but this is really exciting news. I'm betting there just aren't that many of these knive sets in Wenatchee....and I'm betting that someone, somewhere has been fishing or hunting with a guy who was using this knife set.....or who is missing just one knife from his set.

I'm wondering if they did not get any info on who bought the knife set or who won them so that is why they released the pics.

I agree, someone might notice that someone they knew had a set.

Also sold at Amazon, ebay and many other places (overpriced) online, so if they released this info and photos, I have to think they need public tips as to who might own, or recently owned, such a set. No doubt they have run down as many of the local purchases, or the ones won at 5-T's, as there are "signed" records for.

If it was somebody from out of the area, becomes more problematic, and releasing this info seems like a grand idea.

Now, please let the tips come flowing in!

Well, as awful and brutal as this murder is, I am somewhat relieved to know that it wasn't a saw or some of the other suggestions written here. I hope this is the lead that catches the person(s) that did this to Kenzi :(

Hm. I thought the info was originally that it was the type knife used by drywallers. Is the knife on the far left similar to a drywall knife?

I wonder when the natives get restless they (LE) throw out some info. to appease the crowd. Seems like it. To look like they (LE) are on to something. Just my opinion I really do hope this info. will lead to the killer/s

I wonder when the natives get restless they (LE) throw out some info. to appease the crowd. Seems like it. To look like they (LE) are on to something. Just my opinion I really do hope this info. will lead to the killer/s
I think the eagle is poised, its talons sharp;waiting only for the perfect moment to take its prey.:croc:

I hate to say this but it seems like an act of desperation. They are stuck and need help.

In almost every case LE tend to hide evidence. This case for instance, they did not want to talk about the knife for fear that the perpetrator would dispose of the remaining evidence.

They are right and wrong at the same time. They are right in that, yes this person may dispose of the remaining knives; however, if this person had half a brain, they would have tossed the knives right after the body was found. Of course this idiot did leave the knife behind.

I'm getting the impression that LE has alot of dots but unable to connect them. No dis on LE intended, this is a tough job. Other cases LE has made arrests with less. If they do have an idea who it is, I seriously doubt that LE would allow these (assume more than one) perps to be out among the public.

OT: You would be surprised how much equipment criminals leave behind. We had our tires stolen off of our car and the perp forgot to come back for them. LE traced the tools back to local filling station where our neighbor's teenager down the street was employed for a summer job. BTW, he's now in LE and he is very good at it. Go figure.

RIP Mackenzie, when I see the picture of those knives I think of the horror of this crime. God bless you.

When I read "9 piece knife set", I keep wondering which is missing. The WW photo shows 7 knives. This old web return came up as from Lowes in Wenatchee also says 9:
http://www.wolfsongarchery.com/product/SKOD9 and a more up to date online ad offers 10:
http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm/ID/1242/c/fixed-blade-knife-hunting I didn't realize, at first that the sharpening stone counts as one "piece". It still doesn't add up.

They are including the sharpening stone and the case. So with seven knives and the case and sharpening stone it is a 9 piece set.

The other set is not the same.

Hm. I thought the info was originally that it was the type knife used by drywallers. Is the knife on the far left similar to a drywall knife?

yes...

wonder who in town has one of their knives missing....

I suspect:

... LE located a murder weapon / knife at the hairpin turnout or MC recovery site location in Crescent Bar.

... reports from previous weeks indicated LE was to interview witnesses and / or potential suspects.

... LE obtained receipts and prize-winner vouchers pointing to those who had purchased or were awarded the knife set ... probably the interviewees.

... those interviews led to dead ends .. so now we have pictures of a knife set.

A hunter's purchase or win?
A homeowner's purchase or win?
Or, a murder's purchase or win?
A local or travelling murderer?

Does anyone suspect the perp had returned to the scene(s) of the crime in search of the murder weapon he originally thought he had retrieved with him the date of the crime? When did he discover he no longer had the knife, that it dropped somewhere during the struggle or getaway?

There was a member of this forum who arrived to and traversed the MC recovery site not long after the discovery and before a few others even dared approach onto the scene, and searched and snapped phtographs of the area.

That person reported to having had been interviewed because he contacted LE and notified them he had remained certain 'camping' or 'hunting' or other items on the recovery site property months previous to the discovery.

He also is a hunter. Perhaps he and some of his hunter-friends could join heads and think of who might own such a knife set?

Of course It was the mention that a knife from a set had been left on the beach that made me wonder what that knife might have looked like. I had no intent to imply the links were of identical iterms. Only, perhaps, similar. As a total non outdoor/hunter type person I didn't have a clue what these knives would look like/ or be used for. I didn't realize the case counted too. Thanks for pointing that out.

sbbm

Would logic dictate MC was murdered at the CB location because the knife also was found there?

If the knife was transported with her body, why was the knife not still 'in place' (IYKWIM)?

Given the various markings on the CB property, I suspect the knife might not necessarily have been found on the beach.

Is it possible the perp used a knife set that was located in the CB property?

Give the assumed violence of the crime, I assume MC put up one hell of a fight .. and I ask, why? What occurred to cause MC to put up a defense?

Blunt force, strangle and stab?

I suspect a random kidnap and rape attempt, and the perp was surprised by MC, that she was just too strong and forceful and wouldn't allow it. Hence the elevated attack and result.

I would like to think the perp was damaged in some finite way, perhaps a Cheerleader's Kick to the tiny b@lls hanging between the perps spindle legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms