GUILTY PA - Bryan Nevins, 20, autistic, dies in hot van, Middletown, 24 July 2010

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
20 year old Brian Nevins was left in a vehicle after a group returned from an outting at Sesame Place. Five hours later he was found dead in the vehicle that brought him back to The Woods Center a facility that was to care for him. Woods is in Penndell and a short distance from Sesame Place.

A worker has been held on manslaughter charges an is expected to post bail. The Philadelphia woman claims that Brian was not in her sole care.

How sad is this? How unbelievably sad.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iDmSpsnUgliuKf-BaG3Hy5S-NR6gD9HCD1GG0

This is heartbreaking. My sympathies to this young mans family and friends.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iDmSpsnUgliuKf-BaG3Hy5S-NR6gD9HCD1GG0

'My son was essentially murdered by this woman," William Nevins, a retired New York City homicide detective who lives in Oceanside, N.Y., told The Associated Press. "Now we'll see what the people of Bucks County think the life of a disabled person is worth."

Is it me or is that an odd statement? I know he is upset but I am either missing his point or asumming he intends to sue.

'My son was essentially murdered by this woman," William Nevins, a retired New York City homicide detective who lives in Oceanside, N.Y., told The Associated Press. "Now we'll see what the people of Bucks County think the life of a disabled person is worth."

Is it me or is that an odd statement? I know he is upset but I am either missing his point or asumming he intends to sue.

At first I did, but after seeing that people are so 'its not my fault' about it, I can't say I don't blame the father. I think whoever locked that car should be responsible. Who would lock a disabled person in a car and just walk away?? and have no remorse??? I'd be blaming myself even if I wasn't my fault. I sure hope whoever was responsible is prevented from ever working in any caregiver type situation! If dad can't get whoever punished then I sure hope he sues the pants off that person!

I'm not so sure his thoughts at that time were of a lawsuit. My first thought was when he was a homicide detective , he saw many sentences handed down. In his son's case would his son be treated equally? Or since the excuses have already started would the buck be passed around and around until the sentence is a watered down version of justice? Maybe Nevins already knows what Bucks County people think the life of a disabled person is worth. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Buck County proves it!

I think whoever locked that car should be responsible. Who would lock a disabled person in a car and just walk away?? and have no remorse???

The car may not have been locked, people with autism can be quite rules/routine focused. If he has been told in the past he was not allowed to get out the car without a care worker with him he may not have attempted to leave the car of his own accord.

I used to work in care, I remember one one occassion a client becoming very distressed because the smoke alarm went while she was in the shower. She knew that when the smoke alarm went she must leave the building straight away and not stop to do anything. She also knew she had to be fully clothed to go in to communal areas of the house. Both these things were rules to her and she was inable to prioritise and make a decision as to what she should do so she stayed where she was until support workers got to her.

I can't imagine not knowing where a client was who has needs as high as the person is reported as having for that length of time. However I am also aware of how often it happens that everyone thinks someone else is with that person. When the communication is poor that sort of situation could occur.

I feel so sorry for this man and his family.

I think he meant it insofar as whether or not charges would be brought against the person responsible. He has said great things about the facility in general and says that his sons have received wonderful care there over the last 5 years. He feels it is solely one persons fault and has been careful not to blame the entire facility.

From March 2011:

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articles/2011/03/11/the_advance/news/doc4d772d3c1ecc6824313897.txt

What started as a trip to Sesame Place in July 2010 ended with what a prosecutor called “an aggravated sentence” in the case of Stacy Strauss, a former counselor at the Woods Services in Langhorne, a dependant care facility.

Bucks County Judge Albert Cepparulo this week sentenced Strauss to a maximum allowed sentence of two to five years in a state prison for involuntary manslaughter, recklessly endangering another person, and neglect of care for a dependant person in the death of Bryan Nevins.

Strauss, 41, entered a no contest plea...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back