Man Freed From Prison After Conviction Due To Wildly Accelerating Toyota.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

Minnesota judge frees man convicted in acceleration crash of Toyota
By Jim Kavanagh and Emanuella Grinberg, CNN
August 6, 2010 11:39 a.m. EDT

...Lee's accident is among the first of a growing number of cases getting a second look since Toyota announced the recall, acknowledging that problems with sudden acceleration were more extensive than originally thought.

In testimony before Congress, company executives apologized for underestimating the problem.

Toyota recalled more than 8 million vehicles, prompting Schafer to seek a re-examination of the vehicle in the 2006 accident.

"This never seemed right. A man with his family in the car -- his pregnant wife -- goes on a suicide mission? Then, the recalls started, and the complaints sounded just like what happened to Mr. Lee," Schafer said in March. "It sounds just like a case of unintended acceleration."

In the end, though, the conviction was vacated not only because of evidence of mechanical failure, but also because Judge Smith determined Lee's original attorney, Tracy Eichhorn-Hicks, had failed to defend him adequately at trial.

Eichhorn-Hicks had stated in court that Lee must have had his foot on the accelerator, even though Lee himself always maintained that he had pumped the brake to no avail....

Wow! Just Wow! Some people's lives are really messed up. Not only this guy but the people who've died too. I'm glad he's free now and can be with his family.

I'm so glad he has been released. I never understood why he was prosecuted to begin with. The whole thing just never made sense to me. It rather strikes me as a malicious prosecution case. There was no evidence that this guy was on any kind of suicide mission. It just stinks to high heaven.

It's so scary to think that you could just be driving your family home from church and your car could malfunction and you could end up in jail!

Such a tragic miscarriage of justice. Thankfully the family of the dead from the other vehicle backed Mr. Lee's bid for a new trial. Thankfully GMA broke this story and brought it to the national conscience. Thank you to the DA office who had the good sense to announce they will not pursue another trial.

I wish Mr. Lee and his family every happiness and wish they had not missed so much time together.

I always believed this man's story. I know Toyota or whoever has now come out and said the problems wasn't as bad as originally stated. I can buy that.

But, let's face it, if there is a problem that could be caused by a short of some sort, it only occurs occasionally. I've had problems with a number of my GM cars. Same problem. The motor would just shut down. I had this same thing happen in three different cars. I had it checked, over and over and over, and they could never find any problem or make it happen for them.

Seriously, I had a Grand Prix that used to stall on the same turn, a NUMBER of times. It was scary because when you're in the middle of a turn and loose your power, you loose your power steering and brakes.

Anyway, I also had something similar in my present car also, but it's a mitsubishi. But they knew what could cause it, something that sometimes shorted out. They finally replaced it, after not being able to find it the first few times I had it checked. Never a problem since.

It seems the families of the victims who lost their life that day, also believed this man's story. I'm very happy for him and hope that the victim's families can get the ear of Toyota. This needs to be corrected.

JMHO
fran

Such a tragic miscarriage of justice. Thankfully the family of the dead from the other vehicle backed Mr. Lee's bid for a new trial. Thankfully GMA broke this story and brought it to the national conscience. Thank you to the DA office who had the good sense to announce they will not pursue another trial.

I wish Mr. Lee and his family every happiness and wish they had not missed so much time together.

When you say Good Morning America broke this story do you mean this guys, or the whole Toyota problem thing?

I am just glad that there was finally someone who looked at this logically and took appropriate action! I can not imagine the pain both of these families has undergone, but was inspired by the fact that the other family involved backed the re-investigation!

I'm really glad to see this man released. It has bothered me every since I heard the story. It is a telling thing for the family of the victims to be backing him, and hearing him speak you feel so sad for the time he has lost with his kids already.

It's so scary to think that you could just be driving your family home from church and your car could malfunction and you could end up in jail!

UmmHmm. And that you could end up in jail for a LONG time, sentenced there by 12 of your peers who believed everyone but you.....

I just saw an interview with him and I just poured tears when he said something in the range of that he has 2 kids that know who "daddy" is, but they don't know him as their daddy.

Thank goodness they finally get to have their daddy...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back