2010.06.28 - Kyron's Dad files for divorce and restraining order

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on what the documentation is. That's what I've been asking about. I haven't seen anything from anyone with personal knowledge from TH's camp documenting where the money came from. For example, I Houze, on x date, personally reviewed certified documents from the recorders office showing that TH's parents obtained a mortgage on their home located at y. On z date, my retainer was paid from the proceeds of that transaction. Alternatively, I, Houze, received on z date an amount sufficient to satisfy my retainer in this case. The source of retainer was not a marital asset, and the retainer agreement is not a marital liability. My client did not pay the retainer from her own personal or marital assets and does not have sufficient assets to pay her attorneys fees in the matter of Horman v. Horman. Case closed. That's all it would take, imo.

BBM

You are correct, the memorandum does not include exhibits in the form of documents such as an affidavit from houze.

it states

that Bunch and HOuze "represented as officers of the court . . ." to Kaine and his attorney in a meeting.

It goes on to state on page 8 line 5 that "As stated above and in a declaration previously filed with the court, a third party or third parties paid a retainer . . ."

I have not seen whatever that declaration that was previously filed with the court consists of but it would seem some sort of documentation was presented. Whether it was an affidavit or not I cannot say. but Bunch does state some sort of declaration was made stating basically what you described above (Italics)

If anyone gets access to the rest of the documents which were filed leading up to this hearing and could provide a link I would really appreciate it. TIA

I may be confused and not understanding all this, so have a few questions:

If Terri's family had inherited some money or set up a trust for the baby, and maybe even some for Kyron, could Kaine dispute the use of the money for legal fees if Terri's parents got into the fund?

Also, did Terri talk to police and get questioned after Kaine moved out? I'm wondering if she was ever heavily questioned after LE found evidence of her sexting, and if some of these conversations might be what she doesn't want to answer to

IMO the goal is to keep her from answering civil questions that could impact her potential criminal charges. I understand that and a good defense attorney will keep her fromhaving to answering questions. This works both ways i should add. A good prosecutor would not want his complaining witness giving sworn testimony in a civil case before the criminal trial either, imo.

[bbm]

that's a really good point that I had not considered

I found this to be the most intersting part of the argument. can anyone speak to this?

Husband says "My wife is unemployed and as far as I know, has no assets with which to pay a criminal defense attorney."

Wife says "Prove it."

OK, how does he prove she has no job and no money? He can only point to what he knows about her--she is living in Roseburg with her parents and as far as he knows, she has no money and no job. She had to ask him for money in order to move out of his house.

Since she says "I did get money, but where is none of your business," she is shifting the burden of proof to herself with her affirmative defense. Because of that, she has to prove that she does have money that does not constitute marital assets.

JMO>

She does not say "I did get money but its nobodys business." She says her criminal attorney got money and its nobodys beezwax. but in reality, Any money she does have would qualify as a marital assets Round and round we go. That is where we end up right back where we started with the statements and declarations of Houze and Bunch as officers of the court.

Dangit I wish we could get our hands on the documents previously filed. It would make it so much easier for us to resolve exactly what sort of documentation has been presented and then - if that is considered sufficient by us.

It is just so hard to know without seeing exactly what "declaration" was file previously.

I am tired and my mind is going in circles around this thing. Work comes early tomorrow so it is off to bed for me.

I will leave the legal wrangling to the rest of you in search of a good hard sleep!

Goodnight all, as always, I appreciate you guys. I can always find a good rousing debate and much food for thought here at WS :)

Hope it's okay to say this, but maybe Kaine wants to know exactly when Terri had access to this money or when a home was refinanced just to make sure nothing went on before Kyron went missing. Desiree showed such frustration with Terri's parents for not talking to them, so maybe no one will say a word or be questioned after getting an attorney. For all anyone knows, the $350,000 could be a ruse, but an actual amount that she had access to, and part of it going to someone for hiding Kyron, and part for attorney fees. The total amount that Terri has access to probably needs to be accounted for, even if she doesn't have direct access to any of it.

bbm

Because as long as it's not a marital liability, it's none of his (Kaine's) business.

This is untrue. It's not what the law says.

I found this to be the most intersting part of the argument. can anyone speak to this?

It states that it is husband's burden to prove whether or not wife has the ability to pay attorney's fees. In order to do that, he has the right to discovery - meaning the right to investigate and ask specific questions regarding all sources of any funds, income and assets TH has access to. And TH has the obligation to answer. I guess that's what the abatement is about - preventing her from having to answer such questions.

IANAL so I can't speak to it, but I will say: YOWZA! You've picked one of the key elements of Bunch's arguments. And it's simple "husband refuses to accept..." etc. I think it's a very elegant legal way of saying that a temper tantrum doesn't work in a courtroom. Again, I was shocked when I read that whole document and understood how much work has gone into going over and over this issue and providing an answer.

Bunch's document is so impressive. JMO, of course.

Not so much to me. It's a legal argument but not that genius. Interesting but I saw flaws in it. We now have to see what the other side responds with.

IMO, Bunch laid out an excellent argument as to why Kaine is NOT legally entitled to that information.

I don't believe Kaine will win on this one.

I guess you will just have to trust me that as a divorcing spouse, he is entitled to any and all information regarding any and all sources of income, assets and/or funds that TH has access to. And this is true regardless of whether TH's attorney was paid by a third party and she never touched the funds. That's the law.
The wrinkle in this case is that TH wants to keep private something that normally would be, but for the fact that TH's income, assets and access to funds from third parties is relevant and discoverable in a divorce. Does it prejudice TH in the context of a possible future criminal case, if she is forced to reveal this info? Possibly. And I think that's a better argument to make than what they have made which is basically, "We told him the funds are not marital assets or debts and he is not satisfied with that and must be." That is not a solid argument IMO because even if that were true, TH's access to funds from third parties is very relevant in regards to several issues that must be discussed in a divorce. That's why questions about third party payment of expenses, gifts, loans, bank account records, how a party paid their attorney, etc., are all standard discovery questions in family law.

Just in my uneducated opinion, but what he says is that KH has the burden of proving that TH has the ability to pay suit money, not to prove where the money came from. She has demonstrated this ability by paying a ton of money to houze -- whether from marital assets or not. maybe a lawyer can weigh in on whether he has gone forward enough on that burden to shift the burden to th as to why she can't also afford to pay bunch. Also, it seems to me that bunch is mixing apple and oranges. As I understand it, kh is also, or exclusively, interested in whether the retainer is a marital asset or debt. I don't think bunch addresses the burden on that issue. jmoo

BBM. That's exactly right.

I thought he answered that pretty completely when he stated that he had provided Kaine with documentation that the retainer was paid by a third party and was not paid by Terri. It was not her money, Kaine's money, Marital asset and was not a loan that would qaulify as a marital debt. Did I misread?

IMO, not good enough. He is entitled to legal discovery regarding this because it could show that TH has access to funds and that may mitigate any attorney's fees award or support award in her favor. Ultimately, I think it would mitigate any attorney's fees award in connection with the disso, but not a support award. Depending on what the discovery shows, the argument would likely be that TH chose to spend money she had to access to from her parents, on her criminal attorney and not her divorce attorney, so she should not be entitled to any award of attorney's fees from KH to her.
In any event, I think JBean is right, that this issue can be decided later, not now. There is no urgency, except that KH wants to pressure TH. (Which is a good reason, IMO b ut not a good legal one!).

Oh, I so agree on the adversarial nature of the courtroom. That is normal procedure.

But what I find abnormal, and what I was trying to say, sleepy-eyed, is that the alliance between LE and Kaine, profiting both (they help with his divorce; he flanks TH by using a civil action as an investigative tool to gain what LE hasn't been able to do) is just plain...hinky. And something I've not seen before. All kinds of things that normally are separated are just being twisted up together in one great big snarled mess. JMO

IMO, it's not hinky. It's very smart. It is permissible by law and I understand the motivation and do not find it unethical at all.
Imagine this: Imagine TH really took and killed Kyron. Imagine that after hours of interviews of KH and DY about TH's life, personality, etc., by profilers, psychologists, LE determined that TH is a person for whom appearance is everything. A person who lies a lot and goes to other great lengths in order to maintain a veneer that she is someone she's not - better, prettier, more capable, whatever. Imagine that they determined that for TH, what her "friends" think of her is everything. They believe that revealing anything that could point to TH's guilt in the eyes of her friends, may be so devastating to TH that, it could cause her to crack and possibly do or say something that could aid in the investigation, even if only a little. Imagine a profiler telling LE, "You need to keep the pressure on. You need to disseminate info that makes her carefully crafted persona disintegrate, shows her friends she may be guilty. Makes her isolated, abandoned by her fragile social network. That's the only way you'll crack her." But LE does not want to actually publicize evidence they have accumulated because that could hurt the investigation. What do they do? Well, anything they can that may reveal a consciousness of guilt on TH's part. Like forcing her to respond to allegations in an RO or look guilty if she doesn't. Or forcing her to reveal the large amount she paid to the best criminal defense attorney around, to show that she is so guilty, she had to have the best and pay dearly for it.
If that is what is going on, if something like that is this is true, I think it's darn savvy. Anything legal that can be done to help solve the disappearance of a small child or to get justice for a horrid crime, is fantastic, IMO.

I agree filling out a financial form is typical in divorces. Houze is not her divorce attorney, and Terri got him as an attorney after Kaine had filed for divorce, and her attorney states that at that point, since Houze was not paid with marital assets, 'suit money', marital property, gift, or anything else, that it is not relevant to Kaine's divorce from Terri. The money went to Houze, not Terri.

This just is not correct. As I have said, there are other reasons why the source of her fees payment to her criminal attorney could be relevant to the divorce.

Husband says "My wife is unemployed and as far as I know, has no assets with which to pay a criminal defense attorney."

Wife says "Prove it."

OK, how does he prove she has no job and no money? He can only point to what he knows about her--she is living in Roseburg with her parents and as far as he knows, she has no money and no job. She had to ask him for money in order to move out of his house.

Since she says "I did get money, but where is none of your business," she is shifting the burden of proof to herself with her affirmative defense. Because of that, she has to prove that she does have money that does not constitute marital assets.

JMO>

I agree with this. That's about how it goes.

I think I just figured out why they are fighting so hard not to divulge anything! If they are forced to publicize that TH paid a large sum to a criminal attorney, that may make her seem guilty of something to many people in the public.
I think it may be that the person who provided the money does not want his or her name in the public sphere. He or she probably made Terri promise that when giving her the money. With all the publicity around the people in this case it's easy to understand why Terri's donor would want to remain anonymous.

But, I think I have the solution. In camera discovery of the source and amount of her payment to Houze, with the answer sealed from the public. Problem solved, I think.

(respectfully snipped)

And then what happens when Kaine or Desiree or both decide to broadcast that information in their next 'press conference'?

depends on what the documentation is. That's what I've been asking about. I haven't seen anything from anyone with personal knowledge from TH's camp documenting where the money came from. For example, I Houze, on x date, personally reviewed certified documents from the recorders office showing that TH's parents obtained a mortgage on their home located at y. On z date, my retainer was paid from the proceeds of that transaction. Alternatively, I, Houze, received on z date an amount sufficient to satisfy my retainer in this case. The source of retainer was not a marital asset, and the retainer agreement is not a marital liability. My client did not pay the retainer from her own personal or marital assets and does not have sufficient assets to pay her attorneys fees in the matter of Horman v. Horman. Case closed. That's all it would take, imo.

Isn't that what Bunch said they've already done?

This is untrue. It's not what the law says.

I guess you will just have to trust me that as a divorcing spouse, he is entitled to any and all information regarding any and all sources of income, assets and/or funds that TH has access to. And this is true regardless of whether TH's attorney was paid by a third party and she never touched the funds. That's the law.

Bunch and Houze seem to disagree with that assessment.

I'm puzzled. If Terri's parents mortgaged their house and loaned the money, why don't they just stipulate to that in court?

End of story.

Misunderstanding cleared up.

Innocent explanation.

And maybe they will yet today.

But, if the mystery remains, I'm going to wonder why the simplest thing to do...wasn't done.

Did Terri have sources of income whose disclosure would further implicate her in criminal activity?

It seems to me a simple matter to clear up.

Why not do it?

I am not a lawyer and I do not understand these matters.

I am wondering if her lawyers do not make every effort to protect client/attorney privilege, no matter how picayune the matter may be, if it could open the door, so to speak, for inquiries into other aspects of client/attorney privilege.

What makes me wonder this is a civil case where an author who trademarked their world and characters had to go to court against a 14 year old who had violated trademark. The author explained in his blog that he had no desire to sue a kid for being an enthusiastic fan but that if he did not move against every trademark violation brought to his attention, he risked losing the rights to his trademark.

The 14 year old ignored the letters the author's attorneys sent, so he was left with no options but to file in court.

Is there some such risk with client/attorney privilege?

Bunch wrote in court filings today that a third party or parties paid the attorney fees and it was neither a gift or a loan to Terri Horman and therefore is not subject to marital liabilities...
(paraphrased from Oregon Live link)

So what is left, if not a gift or a loan yet paid by another party? Did she sell something? I am very confused.

Perhaps an advance on her story?

You both said exactly what I was thinking. In this whole fiasco where is Kyron?

I apologize I can't read thru the last couple of pages of this thread because I have to go to work, but this is the scenario I can see fitting everything Houze and Bunch have said: Right after he was hired, Houze made a trip to the East Coast to raise money for Terri's defense. It was an article in MSM. My opinion is that he made a deal with some entity--say, the Enquirer or even Vanity Fair---for a large advance for Terri's exclusive story-not a gift, not a loan--some portion to be paid to Houze, the rest to Terri if she is found innocent, or to a charity or babyK if she is found guilty.

Revealing that in court will make her look like a moneygrubber profiting from her stepson's disappearance. She hasn't said anything to the press all this time because she will lose the money if she does--it is an exclusive that she promised.

I apologize I can't read thru the last couple of pages of this thread because I have to go to work, but this is the scenario I can see fitting everything Houze and Bunch have said: Right after he was hired, Houze made a trip to the East Coast to raise money for Terri's defense. It was an article in MSM. My opinion is that he made a deal with some entity--say, the Enquirer or even Vanity Fair---for a large advance for Terri's exclusive story-not a gift, not a loan--some portion to be paid to Houze, the rest to Terri if she is found innocent, or to a charity or babyK if she is found guilty.

Revealing that in court will make her look like a moneygrubber profiting from her stepson's disappearance. She hasn't said anything to the press all this time because she will lose the money if she does--it is an exclusive that she promised.
Selling her story is definitely a possibility and it makes sense that she would want to keep that under wraps but did we ever find out that Houze was doing Terri's business when he was on the East Coast? All I can find is this article written 4 days after she hired Houze, which says:

Terri Horman retained prominent criminal defense lawyer Stephen Houze on Wednesday. Repeated attempts to reach Houze, who was on the East Coast, were unsuccessful. A woman who answered the door at Terri Horman's house Saturday referred questions to her attorney.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/landscaper_tells_police_terri.html

Would LE be able to find out if Terri's parents mortgaged their house?

Anyone can via searching the web (please don't ask me for the link, though!), since that would be a matter of public record.

Someone on WS posted a while back that TMH's parents had re-financed their house recently (since Kyron disappeared).

Anyone can via searching the web (please don't ask me for the link, though!), since that would be a matter of public record.

Someone on WS posted a while back that TMH's parents had re-financed their house recently (since Kyron disappeared).

On Friday, The Oregonian learned that Terri Horman's parents recently refinanced their home with a $165,450 mortgage, paying off the previous mortgage of $86,000. The deed of trust was filed Aug. 17 in Douglas County.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/kyron_hormans_parents_plan_fun.html

On Friday, The Oregonian learned that Terri Horman's parents recently refinanced their home with a $165,450 mortgage, paying off the previous mortgage of $86,000. The deed of trust was filed Aug. 17 in Douglas County.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/kyron_hormans_parents_plan_fun.html

Thanks BeanE.

I'm assuming Terri's parents are at or near retirement age. They had an $86,000 mortgage and now have had to go further in debt with this refinance...essentially almost doubling the size of their debt at this time in their lives.

If this refinance was used to help pay for their daughter's attorney, this is certainly nothing to hide. Rather this is an understandable act of family love....admirable even. So, why not say so?

End of story.

End of further unfortunate (for their daughter ) speculation.

Speculation like...was this refinance used to help Terri out of some OTHER trouble? What has Terri been doing that might involve her needing large sums of money? Did this "need" tap out her parents resources...thereby necessitating a third party WHO MUST BE ANONYMOUS (to protect Terri) putting up the attorneys fees?

If the answer is simple and admirable...i.e. loving parents went into further debt to help their daughter...why avoid it as if it is some scandal?

Why avoid it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member