FL FL - Jennifer Odom, 12, Blanton, 19 Feb 1993

Do we have a map yet of all the locations? :waitasec:

UPDATE:

:floorlaugh: I just tried to make a map, :floorlaugh:

I really am challenged when it comes to maps. LOL

Will get a map in place today....

Want to do a video of the drive also. Give you a sense of the drive and time and what the area was like. 17 is a long time, but some of the areas have not changed much.

also add REPAIR MEN to that list.....

School busstop at intersection of Jessimine/Jim Denny Rd.

Bern, Oak Hill Hosp. was not there in 1993?

Okay Oak Hill Hospital was built in 1984 so it was there in 1993. I only see one dump for the area and it is WM off 19 near there, but not behind it. So it could have been an unofficial dump site, and people dumped there.

Anyone in construction, home repairs would be familiar with dumps because they have to haul debris away.:angel:

this is from the bus stop to where she was found to the dump behind Oak Hill Hospital. I don't have exact locations for her body or the dump, put this will give you a really good idea of the distances.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 73
this is from the bus stop to where she was found to the dump behind Oak Hill Hospital. I don't have exact locations for her body or the dump, put this will give you a really good idea of the distances.

Oak Hill is in Hernando, Jennifer lived in Pasco. This was my first missing case. I will come back and read the whole thread later and give you some insight to the changes around the area. It has changed .

Oak Hill is in Hernando, Jennifer lived in Pasco. This was my first missing case. I will come back and read the whole thread later and give you some insight to the changes around the area. It has changed .

Hi Becca,

Thank you for posting here. I think we have the right starting point for her bus stop, but Spring Lake was confusing, not sure exactly where she was found on that road. There is an Old Spring Lake too, just off Spring Lake hwy. Also I put in Oak Hill hospital's address as the paper stated the dump site was behind it. Any help would be greatly appreciated :angel:

Hi Becca,

Thank you for posting here. I think we have the right starting point for her bus stop, but Spring Lake was confusing, not sure exactly where she was found on that road. There is an Old Spring Lake too, just off Spring Lake hwy. Also I put in Oak Hill hospital's address as the paper stated the dump site was behind it. Any help would be greatly appreciated :angel:

Thanks for the welcome, back in the day and in some cases still, the dump sites that are mentioned are just that - places in the woods people dump trash to keep from paying at the landfill or having those loud trucks stop in front of the house. Lets face it this is redneck country and back when Jennifer first went missing it was just as bad as today. Powell Rd is off US 41 in south Hernando. Jennifer was walking from the bus stop at the end of her driveway in St. Antonio in Pasco County. On the map it is right outside of Dade City.
The person that did this drove a blue Ford pick up truck. My Dad saw that same truck in their neighborhood months later.They didn't live close by either. This tells me the guy worked in construction and moved around the area freely. His job allowed him to blend in and pass bus stops easily.
This guy was probably in his 30s at the time, a loner and good at his trade.

Just my 2cents. Pasco and Hernando worked this case hard. If they didn't come up with something to link anyone to it , it means that there wasn't anything. They won't give up looking though. I know some of those detectives and they just keep trying to find something.

Jennifer Odom
Christmas-2a.jpg

*FEB. 19, 1993 A Friday

*DEC. 2, 1994: Jennifer's case is featured on the NBC television show Unsolved Mysteries. Viewers call in with more than 50 tips.
(If someone has this episode from Unsolved Mysteries, could you please download it and post it here)

(Thank you Beatrice for providing the following link)
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/16/Pasco/_Nothing_will_ever_be.shtml

(Jennifer Odom time-line)

*FEB. 19, 1993: 12-year-old Jennifer Odom steps off the school bus, about 200 yards from her St. Joseph home in east Pasco County.

FEB. 25, 1993: A Brooksville couple discover Jennifer's body along a Spring Lake horse trail in a southeast Hernando County orange grove. Authorities say she died from a head trauma.

*DEC. 2, 1994: Jennifer's case is featured on the NBC television show Unsolved Mysteries. Viewers call in with more than 50 tips.

JAN. 5, 1995: A couple hunting for scrap metal find Jennifer's book bag and clarinet case in a rural area in Hernando County, about 12 miles from where her body was found.

JULY 14, 1995: The FBI finds a fingerprint inside Jennifer's book bag. Authorities later say the fingerprint does not belong to Jennifer, her family or the couple who discovered the bag. They find no matches with fingerprints in state and federal criminal databases.

OCT. 2, 1997: Sharra Ferger, a 9-year-old girl, is taken from her Blanton home and stabbed to death. The case evokes memories of Jennifer's death, but authorities believe they are unconnected.

JULY 21, 1998: Police detain a Maine woodsman, Walter Ducharme, for questioning about Jennifer's death.

NOV. 18, 1998: After hearing two days of testimony, a Brooksville grand jury decides not to indict Ducharme in Jennifer's murder.

DEC. 3, 1998: Acting on a tip, a team of forensic technicians searches a Brooksville mobile home for clues in the Odom case.

DEC. 21, 1998: A sheriff's dive team spends five hours searching a large pond near the site where Jennifer's book bag and clarinet case had been found. A man said he found a bag with some papers and a videotape inside, but threw the bag back into the pond before realizing it might pertain to the Odom case. Divers can't find it.

2001: Hernando County's newly formed cold case unit picks up the Odom investigation.

JULY 3, 2002: Richard Evonitz, a man wanted for kidnapping and raping a South Carolina girl, kills himself as Sarasota police officers close in. Hernando detectives evaluate him as a possible suspect in the Odom case, but later rule him out.

If anyone can add to the above time line after July3 2002
Please do so.

To help

Detective Mike Nelson at the Hernando County Sheriff's Office toll-free at
1-877-282-5727
or e-mail
unsolved@hernandosheriff.org

I found the episode but it is on a DVD (i think) and I can't access it unless you buy it. It is the 5th season with the 1987 DVD, but I don't know if this is included on that disc? I am going to email them and see if we can find the episode. I went to USM web site and found a list of episodes, but you can't view them.....

Snip:

Approximately two years later on Thursday, January 5, 1995, a couple hunting for scrap metal in a rural area of Hernando County discovered Jennifer's missing book bag and clarinet case. The bag and case were found in heavy brush near a dirt road 12 miles west of the area where Jennifer's body was located in 1993 and approximately 20 miles from her home in Pasco County.

Suspect vehicle is a mid to full size, older model pick-up truck, medium to dark blue (faded) in color, with pipes and/or ladders in back, rectangular side mirrors, trailer hitch with wires hanging, and silver bumper in back (not chrome).

An area known for finding scrap metal?

Pipes or ladders?
Wasn't Jennifer's father in the tree trimming business?

Was the abductor an ex disgruntled employee?
Had it originally been a kidnapping?

Trailer hitch? Landscaper?
Scrap metal seller?

Snip:

An area known for finding scrap metal?

Pipes or ladders?
Wasn't Jennifer's father in the tree trimming business?

Was the abductor an ex disgruntled employee?
Had it originally been a kidnapping?

Trailer hitch? Landscaper?
Scrap metal seller?

I think he could have been a tree trimmer or even a home repair guy because of the truck being old and a ladder and pipes in the back, he used it to get to high places, maybe a roof.. So I think self employed handyman type.

Also according to locals, the dump site was an illegal dumping ground. He knew where it was, 28 miles from her home, behind Oak Hill Hospital. Someone who hauls stuff away, after a job, like old air conditioners, wood, plaster, debris from working on a house, would know where to dump stuff.

In 1993 most people in Pasco could burn off stuff in the yard. So a backpack and clarinet case and clarinet, are a bit much to try to burn down, but a few cloths, some boots, and a purse, you could burn them in a trash can and get rid of evidence that way. Or just toss them somewhere else. But why separate her belongings? I think he forgot about these items and had to dump them later. JMO

I don't see the dump sight as the Unsub dumping the things there . I see it as a "clean out" of the home or a building and the person who dumped it there had no idea what they were.

Can I get a distance on the DS from the bus stop?

And any other similar cases in a 100 mile radius?

I don't see the dump sight as the Unsub dumping the things there . I see it as a "clean out" of the home or a building and the person who dumped it there had no idea what they were.

Can I get a distance on the DS from the bus stop?

And any other similar cases in a 100 mile radius?

Excellent thought, I believe the distance from her home to the site of found items was 28 miles- I know from where the body was to the site was 12. So that is about right.

I think he could have been a tree trimmer or even a home repair guy because of the truck being old and a ladder and pipes in the back, he used it to get to high places, maybe a roof.. So I think self employed handyman type.

Also according to locals, the dump site was an illegal dumping ground. He knew where it was, 28 miles from her home, behind Oak Hill Hospital. Someone who hauls stuff away, after a job, like old air conditioners, wood, plaster, debris from working on a house, would know where to dump stuff.

In 1993 most people in Pasco could burn off stuff in the yard. So a backpack and clarinet case and clarinet, are a bit much to try to burn down, but a few cloths, some boots, and a purse, you could burn them in a trash can and get rid of evidence that way. Or just toss them somewhere else. But why separate her belongings? I think he forgot about these items and had to dump them later. JMO

Or....it could have been dumped in a seperate place because someone else dumped it, like a spouse or family member who found it hidden in the house. Sometimes, these 's keep a memento, something personal and I cant see that they would have dumped it seperately much less parted with their trophy at all. I can see that someone else could have done it, especially since it was at a different location.

I have heard that 3 people usually know about a crime; the victim, the perp, and the person the perp confides in.

Or....it could have been dumped in a separate place because someone else dumped it, like a spouse or family member who found it hidden in the house. Sometimes, these 's keep a memento, something personal and I cant see that they would have dumped it separately much less parted with their trophy at all. I can see that someone else could have done it, especially since it was at a different location.

I have heard that 3 people usually know about a crime; the victim, the perp, and the person the perp confides in.

Oops sorry wrong thread, not in parking lot "Jennifer Odom Visions and Dreams"

THANK YOU FOR THE VIDEO this was Oct 28th, just 2 days ago.... I missed it, I was out. Glad to see some new interest in this case. :woohoo:

The links to the old articles are good too, I see there was another attempt of a child and they got a partial plate number, the truck was from Pasco.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back