GUILTY NY - Jenni-Lyn Watson, 20, Clay, 19 Nov 2010

I know this is off topic and isn't adding much to this conversation but I am SO SICK of women & girls being murdered.I am not really a "gun person" at all but this makes me feel like every female should be armed with a loaded handgun and actually use it for protection, that feels like the only way this will stop.

You'd have to have it loaded and in your hand 24/7, to be able to react in time to a surprise attack.

Go to Google and try this search, exactly:
"Jenni-Lyn" larceny
One of the top results will be the Post-Standard article that mentions the larceny charge (where, and when).

Hi Laytonian-

Thanks for your post. I wasn't clear with my question. I wanted to know how you find the initial mention of the charges. From back in August.

Even knowing that there is an archived mention of Steve Pieper being charged with petit larceny in August, I cannot find it.

This is really bugging me- I am obviously doing something wrong and I would love to understand my mistake.

Thanks

I know this is off topic and isn't adding much to this conversation but I am SO SICK of women & girls being murdered.I am not really a "gun person" at all but this makes me feel like every female should be armed with a loaded handgun and actually use it for protection, that feels like the only way this will stop.

OT/ I share your total frustration newshound. I have two young adult daughters and Aikido (or any martial art, really) comes in very handy during a surprise attack, rather than a gun.. or pepper spray.. that you may not have time to pull out. JMHO

*Speaking from my personal experience with a (former) physically abusive husband.

Go to Google and try this search, exactly:

"Jenni-Lyn" larceny

One of the top results will be the Post-Standard article that mentions the larceny charge (where, and when). CLICK HERE to read the article.

Misdemeanor petit larceny charge...happened in August at a Walmart in Cicero. Maybe discovering this dark side of him led to her breaking up with him. It would certainly give one pause to learn this about someone you thought you loved.

My heart breaks for her family, especially her younger sister who is still in high school.

Hi Laytonian-

Thanks for your post. I wasn't clear with my question. I wanted to know how you find the initial mention of the charges. From back in August.

Even knowing that there is an archived mention of Steve Pieper being charged with petit larceny in August, I cannot find it.

This is really bugging me- I am obviously doing something wrong and I would love to understand my mistake.

Thanks

Yes, I misunderstood.
You're looking for the original report, from August -- and not the later references -- right? I can't find it, either, through normal searching on the site or through Google.

BUT....I think I found it another way. Or at least how you can search for it. Syracuse.com (Post-Standard) has a crime archive that you can click through. CLICK HERE for August, 2010. I don't know the exact date, so I didn't go all through it.

ETA: I ended up clicking through all of August and half of July in those archives. I still don't see the initial report of the petty larceny. I also clicked on the crime blogs and reports.

OT/ I share your total frustration newshound. I have two young adult daughters and Aikido (or any martial art, really) comes in very handy during a surprise attack, rather than a gun.. or pepper spray.. that you may not have time to pull out. JMHO

*Speaking from my personal experience with a (former) physically abusive husband.

I know it's crazy talk on my part but I do sort of fantasize about giving every girl when they turn 16 a gun and training them to use it-It might change everyone's mindset a little,because as it stands now every female in the U.S. seems to be a target and apparently nobody can do a damn thing about it.I am only half serious-but geez, how many more women have to die before we all as a nation stop accepting this?

I know it's crazy talk on my part but I do sort of fantasize about giving every girl when they turn 16 a gun and training them to use it-It might change everyone's mindset a little,because as it stands now every female in the U.S. seems to be a target and apparently nobody can do a damn thing about it.I am only half serious-but geez, how many more women have to die before we all as a nation stop accepting this?

I live in a state that has open-carry and concealed carry permits; we've had an uptick in shootings by CCW holders. A vigilante case in Bluffdale, UT, children who find the loaded-and-ready guns in a parent's room.

I don't think a gun, pepper spray or even martial arts would have saved Jenni-Lyn, or any woman, in an off-and-on relationship.

What saves them, is the courage to break it off, take no calls, KEEP THE DOORS LOCKED, refuse to let them in the house, etc.

Once a relationship is "on and off", that tells the abuser that "NO doesn't really mean NO!! - I can always get her back."

I feel sorry for Jenni-Lyn.
I doubt she felt threatened that morning - but something went wrong.

Maybe I'm just cold, but I never took a boyfriend back, after we'd broken up.

Missing Clay girls body found near marsh
After hoping and praying for Jenni-Lynn Watson’s safe return home, the tragic news of her death traveled all over Central New York Saturday.
Watson’s body was found in a marshy area on Wetzel Road behind the Clay Central Park, Onondaga County Sheriff’s deputies said later that day.
More...

Pieper pleads not guilty in Jenni-Lyn Watson murder case
Steven Pieper was arraigned in the Town of Clay court this evening on charges of second degree murder. A plea of not guilty was entered.
Pieper will be back in court on Friday, December 3rd for a preliminary hearing in Clay.
More...

Ex charged with murdering Mercyhurst student
A 20-year-old Pennsylvania dance student who vanished last week while on Thanksgiving break in her hometown was killed by her on-again, off-again boyfriend, who then dumped her body in a park "like garbage," a prosecutor said Saturday.
More...

Update: Steven Peiper pleads not guilty
21-year-old Steven Pieper has pleaded not guilty in Clay Town Court to charges of second degree murder, in connection with the death of 20-year-old Jenni-Lyn Watson.
The Liverpool man, and ex-boyfriend of Watson, was arraigned just after 7:30 Saturday evening in front of Clay Town Justice Brian Lauri. Pieper did not have anything to say, but did answer routine questions from the judge.
Judge Lauri also read the court document to Pieper, which says that he intentionally caused the death of Jenni-Lyn Watson by a manner that has yet to be determined. It goes on to say that Pieper removed Watson's body from the family's home along Donegal Way in Clay and then transported and dumped her remains in the Clay Central Park.
Pieper, dressed in a track suit, showed no remorse during the court proceedings.
More...

Friend at Mercyhurst College: Jenni-Lyn was 'pure of heart'
Nicole Lyons was a freshman at Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pa., when she met a prospective student who was visiting the campus to get a taste of college life.
“We basically hung out the entire weekend she was here and instantaneously we were like friends for life,” said Lyons, 21.
More...

I ended up clicking through all of August and half of July in those archives. I still don't see the initial report of the petty larceny. I also clicked on the crime blogs and reports.

Laytonian-

Thank you for joining me in this ridiculous effort. I also went through the individual days of the months in the archived crime news & got nothing.

I have fooled with the urls and done everything else I can think of. I am dying to know how Cwiz and others found the initial article.

We know it is there and still can't find it. What are we missing ?

Thanks again.

Laytonian-

Thank you for joining me in this ridiculous effort. I also went through the individual days of the months in the archived crime news & got nothing.

I have fooled with the urls and done everything else I can think of. I am dying to know how Cwiz and others found the initial article.

We know it is there and still can't find it. What are we missing ?

Thanks again.

I think maybe we're misunderstanding "archives"? After clicking through all the crime news in that area, I don't think petty larceny's going to be a news item....but may have been listed one time on the arrest reports.

I'll take it on faith, although the details of Peiper's offense might give us a good clue as to his character in August, and why they broke up.

I live in a state that has open-carry and concealed carry permits; we've had an uptick in shootings by CCW holders. A vigilante case in Bluffdale, UT, children who find the loaded-and-ready guns in a parent's room.

I don't think a gun, pepper spray or even martial arts would have saved Jenni-Lyn, or any woman, in an off-and-on relationship.

What saves them, is the courage to break it off, take no calls, KEEP THE DOORS LOCKED, refuse to let them in the house, etc.

Once a relationship is "on and off", that tells the abuser that "NO doesn't really mean NO!! - I can always get her back."

I feel sorry for Jenni-Lyn.
I doubt she felt threatened that morning - but something went wrong.

Maybe I'm just cold, but I never took a boyfriend back, after we'd broken up.

It's not really the murder victim's fault that she didn't break up with him the right way-it's the attitude "if you break up with me I will kill you" that we have all come to just accept from men.Do you realize how complacent we have all become-like any time a young woman goes missing we really all "know" she's been murdered and some guy did it-like of course men are going to just kill woman,we just accept that-that is truly the problem.

I think maybe we're misunderstanding "archives"? After clicking through all the crime news in that area, I don't think petty larceny's going to be a news item....but may have been listed one time on the arrest reports.

I'll take it on faith, although the details of Peiper's offense might give us a good clue as to his character in August, and why they broke up.

According to The Post-Standard archives, Pieper was arrested in August on a misdemeanor charge of petit larceny at the Walmart in Cicero.

Oh, I do like a challenge! That's something I would expect to see in the local "Police Blotter", but I couldn't bring anything up either. I found a local paper "Liverpool Review", which brought up a result for SP's brother (Honor Roll), but nothing on SP. I also checked the Police Blotter in the Canastota Bee Journal weeks, 32,33 and 36. I couldn't find weeks 34 and 35, but your mileage may vary. I am not in the area, so don't know if there are other local papers, but I'm now thinking it wasn't reported originally at all, and only came out when someone did a background check using a paid subscription service (which I don't have).

Re: her Dad & the perp..I wondered what they meant by "the parents did the best they could to protect her" & now I know at least some of it cos my guess is they may have also tried their best to talk her into a 'restraining order' but if she refused to do it their hands were tied due to her age..Young women tend to be naive & don't believe it's necessary to go that extreme..Some don't want to do it out of some kind of misplaced loyalty to their X..Whatever the reason we know for a fact it often doesn't help anyway & sometimes even provokes more anger..It really is like being between a rock & hard place. <sigh>

Fitzpatrick praised the actions of Watson&#8217;s parents, David and Jacqueline. They &#8220;did the best they could to protect their daughter,&#8221; Fitzpatrick said. &#8220;Mr. Watson clearly communicated to the defendant that the relationship was over.&#8221;

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/body_found_believed_to_be_jenn.html

I wonder if there was any history of violence on his part, with Jenni-Lynn? Or just signs of a temper that she saw, but did not see as a physical threat?

I believe the parents may have said what they are alleged to say about protecting her came up when it was stated that they knew he was coming over that morning? Correct me if I am wrong...

Yes, I misunderstood.
You're looking for the original report, from August -- and not the later references -- right? I can't find it, either, through normal searching on the site or through Google.

BUT....I think I found it another way. Or at least how you can search for it. Syracuse.com (Post-Standard) has a crime archive that you can click through. CLICK HERE for August, 2010. I don't know the exact date, so I didn't go all through it.

ETA: I ended up clicking through all of August and half of July in those archives. I still don't see the initial report of the petty larceny. I also clicked on the crime blogs and reports.

Syracuse.com (Syracuse Post Standard) is probably the best available local paper in the Syracuse area. There is a searchable crime blotter located here:

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/police-blotter/

I searched with "Pieper" in the name field and petit larceny as the crime, and I found an entry for Steven M. Pieper that matches. Happened on July 13, 2010 at the Cicero Walmart - arrest was by the Cicero Police (who have a website but do not appear to have any of their arrest records searchable). That is all the detail provided though so it does not offer much insight.

Funeral arrangements set for Jenni-Lyn Watson
Funeral arrangements have been finalized for murder victim Jenni-Lyn Watson.
Calling hours are scheduled for Tuesday at the Thomas J. Pirro Funeral Home, 3401 Vickery Road, North Syracuse, NY from 3:00 - 7:00pm. Funeral services will be conducted on Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. in St. Margaret's Church, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated, with burial to follow.
More...

Accused killer Steven Pieper left his phone at crime scene
Authorities investigating the disappearance of Jenni-Lyn Watson quickly focused on former boyfriend Steven Pieper because he left his own cell phone in the victim's home, District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said today.
Fitzpatrick also revealed authorities believe Pieper then used Watson's cell phone in an attempt to create an alibi for himself and to focus police attention on someone else.
More...

Friends of Jenni-Lyn never anticipated rocky engagement would end violently
Two days after Jenni-Lyn Watson disappeared, her closest girlfriend from Liverpool High School called Watson&#8217;s former boyfriend.
&#8220;The sound of his voice just shocked me,&#8221; Mallory Otis said. &#8220;I was hoping I was wrong. That he would sound upset, and be crying when I called. He acted like nothing in the world had happened.&#8221;
More...

DA: Pieper left cell phone at Watson home
The Onondaga County District Attorney has confirmed that several elements led to the Sheriff's Department focusing on Jenni-Lyn Watson's ex-boyfriend in the investigation into her disappearance.
District Attorney Bill Fitzpatrick says that a cell phone belonging to Steven Pieper was found at the Watson home the same day the missing girl disappeared. They believe he used Watson's cell phone to generate an alibi by texting friends.
Investigators believe that after Pieper allegedly killed Watson, he backed his car up into the family's garage and placed her body in the trunk before hiding it in Clay Central Park.
More...

Just posted these in the Media section...

Funeral arrangements set for Jenni-Lyn Watson
Funeral arrangements have been finalized for murder victim Jenni-Lyn Watson.
Calling hours are scheduled for Tuesday at the Thomas J. Pirro Funeral Home, 3401 Vickery Road, North Syracuse, NY from 3:00 - 7:00pm. Funeral services will be conducted on Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. in St. Margaret's Church, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated, with burial to follow.
More...

Accused killer Steven Pieper left his phone at crime scene
Authorities investigating the disappearance of Jenni-Lyn Watson quickly focused on former boyfriend Steven Pieper because he left his own cell phone in the victim's home, District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said today.
Fitzpatrick also revealed authorities believe Pieper then used Watson's cell phone in an attempt to create an alibi for himself and to focus police attention on someone else.
More...

Friends of Jenni-Lyn never anticipated rocky engagement would end violently
Two days after Jenni-Lyn Watson disappeared, her closest girlfriend from Liverpool High School called Watson’s former boyfriend.
“The sound of his voice just shocked me,” Mallory Otis said. “I was hoping I was wrong. That he would sound upset, and be crying when I called. He acted like nothing in the world had happened.”
More...

He left his cell phone at the crime scene? And then he pleads not guilty?

This should be an interesting trial to watch.... He doesn't sound very smart. What on earth is his defense?

Rest in peace Jenni-Lyn. :rose:

I wonder if he used Jenni's phone to call his own cell phone in an attempt to locate his phone not realizing he had left the phone behind at her house, thinking he might have dropped it somewhere in the park while unloading her body. Pretty darn stupid of him to leave his phone at her house if he is trying to not get caught after murdering her. I seriously doubt he left his phone at her house on purpose.

He obviously used her phone to call someone else (mostly likely the person that owned a dark pickup) to make it seem that this was the last person Jenni had spoken with and telling LE that he had seen Jenni getting into the dark colored truck with the older person knowing when LE checked her phone records they would see the call to this person and this person just so happened to own a dark colored truck.

ETA: I guess he didn't do his homework on cellular phone pinging and triangulation.

I'm sure the story will be "she was fine when I left her", one we have heard countless times before...good luck with that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith
Back