GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking out loud. Maybe the person that kicked in the door was not JE or BS but someone else they knew. Could it have been a friend of BS or JE?

The comment that TS posted on 11/24 about sealing fate..... it's possible that TS was directing that at BS. Maybe TS did recognize the behavior as being inappropriate early on and told BS to straighten up. Possibly she told BS it was time to go live with dad just before or after the holiday????? We also know from BS post 11/28 and the presser that she went to the Great Wolf Lodge with her aunts and cousins on Thanksgiving weekend. It's possible mom was making plans to fix the situation while BS was away. I get the feeling that TS was trying to take care of the situation without outside help from her family or the authorities. It was the Monday after BS returned from Great Wolf Lodge that TS told her aunt that JE was leaving. I'm curious to know what the mood was of TS during the Thanksgiving visit. I also wonder how many women choose the man over the daughter in this type of situation? I can speak from experience that I've seen mom(s) pick husband/boyfriend over daughters when sexual abuse occurs. I hope this was not the case in this situation. Sorry my mind wandering all over the place trying to figure out the houshold dynamics/mood leading up to the murder.

BBM

Nothing in that video shows them being "lovey dovey". All I see is a child standing beside a grown man with her head down.

Also, re the fake ID, admittingly she does look somewhat older but I would definitely not say she looked 16, 18 or 21...
It's probably because you know she is 12. If I did not know she was in fact 12, I would guess her age to be quite a bit older, around 14-17. When the story first came out when I saw her photos I thought she looked quite a bit older than her actual age. By the way this is simply an observation. Seems like kids grow up fast these days. So I don't find it hard to believe the clerk thought she was older than her age of 12.

I know Brittany wasn't friends with her dad on FB (you can see his friend list) and besides being friends with her mom, we don't know who in her family she was friends with. They might not have seen anything out of the ordinary on FB or MS. Plus, on FB you can block people from seeing certain parts of your profile. If she was friends with any of her family, she may have blocked them from certain pics and status updates.

You are absolutely right, and this is something that anyone who has a FB page and kids needs to know, and a lot don't. It's not enough to just "check in" on their page, know their pswds and use them, often!

In fact I'm going to go and post on FB just that, I recommend we all do!

I wonder if someone kicking the door in is what prompted JE to move in. I wonder if he had an acquaintance do it and then he ran to TS with, "you need a man around here to protect you and BS."

Just a reminder...

BS and her mom are victims and will not be discussed in any other manner unless something comes up to change this. Thanks.

Ima

I wonder if someone kicking the door in is what prompted JE to move in. I wonder if he had an acquaintance do it and then he ran to TS with, "you need a man around here to protect you and BS."

After going back for a reread it appears to be JE that kicked the door in and broke the alarm. Brittany changed her name online to Easley, obviously it hits the fan in the household, there is a comment about him bouncing, BS posts about how hurt she is, TS is commenting about lies in the open, raising her standards etc.... BS tells her she is being mean and to stop (protecting JE) and blaming herself for the name change and causing this... then TS a day later says something about being childish and kicking in the door

This is the prototype of an abuser in the house, he causes the problem, he gets the kid to blame herself, he gets the mom feeling unwanted and unappreciated, and then makes up with everyone. Divide and conquer, making himself the prize to both. He is a sicko.

...I don't know about the laws there... but in Florida... if JE came in with Britney (who looks at least 16 to me) and he asks the cashier for two packs of cigarette's... one Malboro Red... one Malboro Light... By LAW the cashier would have to ID Britney. Same thing with beer...

I don't know about specific laws in Florida, but where I am at, I do not believe she'd need an ID, if JE as an adult male was buying cigarettes or alcohol. As far as I know if an adult comes in and wants to buy cigarettes or alcohol the clerk doesn't have to make sure everyone who is with that adult is also an adult. I believe if someone looking like he or she could be a minor came in by him or herself wanting to buy cigarettes or alcohol only then an ID would be required.

Has JE been charged yet?

The extradition hearing was scheduled for this morning in San Francisco. I can't find any updates on whether the case has been heard yet. SF courts doesn't provide online information as to the court schedule either.

I don't know about the laws there... but in Florida... if JE came in with Britney (who looks at least 16 to me) and he asks the cashier for two packs of cigarette's... one Malboro Red... one Malboro Light... By LAW the cashier would have to ID Britney. Same thing with beer.

Do you have a link to the Florida Law that states a minor must be ID when the adult is buying the smokes/beer?

Snipped:
A man who police say bought Jeffrey Easley's red SUV just before Easley departed Roanoke County with 12-year-old Brittany Smith "could have assisted" in the slaying of Brittany's mom, Roanoke police said today in a search warrant affidavit.
"McElvy could have assisted in the murder" because of "the inconsistencies in McElvy and McClure's statements and the possibility that McElvy was with Easley at the Apple Market, which is in close proximity of the crime scene and within the time parameters of the victim's death," the warrant said.

McElvy and McClure have a television, DVD player, DVDs and a Nintendo Wii game console that were taken from Tina Smith's house, the the warrant said.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/270753

Do you have a link to the Florida Law that states a minor must be ID when the adult is buying the smokes/beer?

Not trying to be disrespectful, but does every statement made on here need to be supported by a link? When I was underage and would be with friends who were buying alcohol and cigarettes, I would get carded. It happens. Now, I never get carded when buying alcohol for me or cigarettes for my mom and I look like I'm 16.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2010/dec/13/11/live-915-pm-brittany-smiths-father-speaks-ar-713833/

Roanoke, VA - "I thought that the happiest day of my life was when my daughter was born... tonight [Monday] has taken the number one spot," said Benjamin Smith, Brittany's father.

Before Brittany reunited with her family, Benjamin Smith and other family members wanted to address the media.

Surrounded by nearly a dozen family members in town to greet Brittany, her father, South Boston Police Officer Benny Smith wanted to first of all thank God.

He then thanked everyone for your prayers, the media for keeping the story fresh, the tireless detectives and finally, the California woman who made this reunion possible: Theresa Shanley.

"My hero. It's not anything that I can say to describe the way my heart feels about you. So a simple thank you and God bless you," he said.

Smith says he hasn't yet talked to Shanley, but would like to.

As for Brittany, she'll be returning to the South Boston area where a majority of her family is.

Smith tells ABC 13 that there will be a lot of quiet time and prayer, while giving Brittany plenty of space, and as he said, anything she wants for Christmas.

Please remember that if you see a post that is problematic, please do not respond to it.

Hit the alert button instead.

Responding to a problematic post only causes more work for the mods.

Thanks for your help!

Not trying to be disrespectful, but does every statement made on here need to be supported by a link? When I was underage and would be with friends who were buying alcohol and cigarettes, I would get carded. It happens. Now, I never get carded when buying alcohol for me or cigarettes for my mom and I look like I'm 16.

Some statements may require a link to substantiate the statement in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E.Layne