2011.01.09 Front page Orlando Sentinel: Is Baez in over his head? *UNDER REVIEW*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that could have made this article better, would have been for Red to be hiding in the bushes this AM with his camera that sure has put a burr in Baez' bonnet and snapped a live action reaction !

Baez steps out to pick up his paper.. and his face goes plum purple in rage; if he can afford home delivery that is !!

Well, maybe tomorrow we will see that picture.

Well if there's any public smirking to be done now, it should be by Kathi Belich!
:woohoo:

Chefmom ~
I'm with you ~ I have always thought that Casey will wait as long as she can, then "decide" that she has had enough with the ole great Baez.

It'll give her some more time in county, and another year or so to bring a new team up to speed on her case.
I think she is going for the longest held accused in Orange County Jail. I think she is holding 2nd place right now, and, that just isn't good enough for someone as important as she thinks she is.

Here is an older 2 part article written about JB from 2009:

Part 1: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...anthony-jose-baez-050309,0,1572952,full.story

Part 2: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-who-is-jose-baez-050409,0,7668671,full.story

Disputes over bills, support

Since he became a lawyer, Baez has been involved in several money disputes. They are mostly small compared with the bankruptcy, bad debts and other financial issues that prompted the Florida Board of Bar Examiners to refuse his application to the Bar after he graduated from law school in 1997. He was not admitted to practice law until 2005.

Darlene Bryant, a court reporter in North Carolina, said she spent six months in 2007 trying to get Baez to honor a $275 bill for work she did for him.

"He finally paid after I got the state Bar Association involved," she said.

Baez also ended up being sued in April 2007 over an $837.62 bill for 1,000 of his plastic business cards, which are decorated with a golden crest. Sir Speedy Printing went to court and won after Baez refused an offer from the Orange County Bar Association to mediate.

And in January 2007, four months before he bought a $670,000 waterfront home in a country-club community on East Lake Tohopekaliga, Baez was held in contempt of court for failing to pay $4,000 in child support, according to Miami-Dade Clerk of Court records.

His office spokeswoman, Marti Mackenzie, told the Sentinel that Baez and his former wife have resolved their support issues.

That article and comments are interesting to read.
One comment sounds like CA (no evidence) and one like JB (defense not being treated fairly).
One part of the article that stands out -

When reached last week to respond to the criticism and the management of the case in light of Perry's sanction, Baez said, "I don't have to answer any questions. Who are you?"

He added, "Do you have something to offer my client? It's a two-way street. … The door is open if you can assist me or my client." He hung up the phone, called back minutes later and said that conversation was off the record. Told that the conversation was not, Baez responded by saying, "You're lying and being unethical."

He threatened to stop discussing the case altogether, an approach he has at various times taken with other Central Florida reporters.

BBM: :floorlaugh: Guess this explains why a certain TV station seems to have all the "scoops" regarding the case. Rather like JB learned SOME Latin (oh the Augustinians :rocker:are SO proud!) phrases as in "QUID PRO QUO", too bad his experts (some) confused :waitasec: it with "Pro Bono"! :maddening:

Does NO ONE proof read down there?!? They referred to Caylee as Casey. :banghead:

I wonder if JB ever paid DC? He had plenty of funds at his disposal that's for sure, courtesy of the ABC network...

:waitasec: Casey has more than one attorney, IMO Baez was a mistake from the get go. I would like to know how this will play out, she has the so called dream team that is falling apart, it's not like she just has one attorney or a public defender. She has a team of experts, yes Baez is the lead but that does not mean that the rest of them would just sit back and let him make one mistake after another. IMO the only hope Casey would of had would of been if she had ineffective counsel. The problem I see with that is that she has more than one attorney. Anyone follow what I am saying?

Got to tell ya, what scares me is a case I read about a guy who fired his lawyers just before trial so many times that it was 13 years before he had to go to court.

I can SO see her doing just that, too.
She wouldn't care. She is happy and content in her own little world sitting right where she is right now.

No obligations to anyone or anything.
Her mother continues to support her.
Meals are served to her on a silver plated tin platter.
No dishes to wash ~ No laundry to wash ~ No bills to pay ~
One blanket on her bed that she can simply throw over her cot and be done with it.

No one bothering her.
She has adapted to her surroundings, and she is in no hurry to move out to a new little studio/one room dwelling any time soon.

WOW ~ He has had quite a few run-ins with the Florida Bar, hasn't he~
I hadn't realized that some of those above mentioned had been turned over to the bar.

It's to bad the Bar only keeps those on record for a year. It would be nice if they stayed forever and added up.
I think that with each one, it would go to prove future complaints are in fact, true and accurate.

Not how he got out of the Dominic Casey complaint, by him saying, "he didn't remember any of those conversations"...........yeah, right.....and I'm a blind aviator for United Airlines in my spare time.

This has always been my idea of the Sentinel's finest work. Whenever I get sick of that smirk I go read his pedigree and it reminds me of what a poor excuse of a human he really is.
I wonder if this new article will make the TV circuit like Court TV?

Somehow, in some way, Baez will definitely be affected by this article.

And I know all WSers following this case find it heart wrenching, frustrating, and :banghead: :furious:

Just once in a while - in the moment - it's :great: for me to be able to say -

Today We Eat Cake! :cupcake:

Yes I'm sure he will have to mention it at some point or file a motion over it. He doesn't do much for Casey, but if someone dares question him or insult him he has to have "revenge" by using the court as a way to swipe at them.

Does NO ONE proof read down there?!? They referred to Caylee as Casey. :banghead:

I think after reading all the motions they've filed, the answer to your question would be No,... no, no, no, they do not.:crazy:

OT although it does contain the word "No" several times...:dance:... just to make y'all smile
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV7Fq6Xyi9Q[/ame]

Wow. In other words, the lawyers are looking out for each other. I'm disgusted by the tone of the letter. DC is no angel, and I hope he goes to prison, but the tone of the Bar letter is arrogant and disgusting. I guess since Baez says he doesn't remember, that should be the end of it? I think the Florida Bar needs to be looked at by a controlling authority. Not only have they foisted Baez on the public, but remain willfully blind to his lack of ethics. They're not doing the legal profession any favors.

Well, if he comes strutting into court and is spouting a Bronx's accent.....well, we were warned !!!:floorlaugh:

LOL...OMG if I hear "youts" come out of his mouth one time...LOL

I have often pictured ICA taking it down to the wire with JB and then firing him, and CM as well, at the last minute. However, she has been declared indigent by the court, so she would just get a court appointed attorney then, wouldn't she? I don't think she would be able to drag it out too long by "firing" attorneys that the court is giving her free of charge. She might get away with it once, but surely not again and again. Unless she wants to pay for her counsel, of course. moo

That and I think she's too enamoured with Baez. She probably believes not only is he going to get her out of jail, but that she'll marry him and live happily every after. And besides, I don't know how long ago that case was that was referred to, but certainly she couldn't keep doing that in today's legal world, right? I can't imagine she would be allowed to keep this trial indefinitely. Lawyers, help me here? I'm really freaking out that she might do something like this. OMG, that would just KILL ME.

He's not going to pull a Vinnie..he doesn't have Marissa Tomei in his back pocket. Juliette Lewis maybe, but not Marissa Tomei.

CM said there could be 2 or 3 more attorneys joining the team before trial. So even if she dropped JB she will have plenty of attorneys. Plus JB is probably doing what she is asking him to do so she really has no complaints. Funny how defense brought up the video from 12/11/08 in their motion to have it thrown out. Bringing it back into the spotlight where maybe, just maybe OS can get them to release it under the Sunshine Law. Be careful what you ask for. That would probably put her right over the edge. jmo

It's all about money for Jose. If he's not allowed to make money on the back of poor deceased Caylee or her Notorious Mother. Then, he'll make money off his lack of morals and illegal shennanigans.

I do believe he wants to be booted off this case, so he can follow the money.

While I feel validated that the rest of the world seems to be in agreement with us here at WS regarding Baez's compentency, this give me pause.

Simply more grounds for appeal based on innefective counsel in the long run :(

Yes, I've been saying this since the beginning. With each passing day and a new JB folly, I worry more. I wish at the next hearing, HHJP would ask kc again if she's happy with JB. Then that should be enough to squash any use of ineffective counsel.

So, I wonder how long til JB releases his statement sounding like a 4 yr old throwing a tantrum claiming the reporter was only trying to make him look bad in the eyes of future jurors. And I'll bet he'll even say the State put them up to it . . . . >patiently watching clock< :martini:

Wow, I think things are unraveling quickly for the defense:

"Can José Baez rise to the challenge of Casey Anthony case?

William Sheaffer, a criminal-defense attorney and media analyst well-versed in the Casey Anthony case, said the judge's punishment last week "doesn't speak well of Baez on a professional level."

"There is a valid criticism — and it was certainly reflected by the court's ruling — by attorneys, the judges, law professors …," Sheaffer said, that Baez "is inexperienced, perhaps has some hubris that's not warranted and that, more importantly, he has failed to rise to the challenge of representation of this client and the most serious charge one could face."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/os-jose-baez-outside-depth-20110107,0,7100865.story
-------------------------------

I hope this isnt o/t.. I think Baez made a big mistake in the very beginning.He should have realized this case was above his experience and called in a lawyer more qualified.It would have been better for his career.When he called in CM.he should have turned it over to him and taken a "side seat".One cannot have another person on the side to simply get him/her out of problems self created..
...This whole thing reminds me vividly of my husband when learning to drive (yes I learned first).He actually told me "now just sit there,dont tell me what to do"..:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg