2011.01.06 Baez Slapped with Formal Sanction

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, he is taking, IMO, the term 'subject matter' to mean what subject that expert is testifying on, for example, (and I'm laughing again) the dna expert is testifying about dna, the forensic botanist will testify about botany, etc. etc.

Yeah, Baez, the State filed a motion and got a court order so you would spell THAT out for them. Jeez.

I want to know how Mason can walk down the street with this guy and hold a straight face. Why oh why is he allowing himself to even associate with him? Has he lost his marbles? He will forever be remembered as JB's sidekick.

I found it interesting that only "some pages" were included as attachemnts, so looked up the link to JA's 12/1 motion for clarification/to compel compliance with order for additional discovery. (I wanted to re-read those snarky emails from Baez, that JA so nicely attached to his motion)

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...ith Order For Additional Discovery12-9-10.pdf

Again, I've said this before. It REALLY pisses off judges when you don't submit all the exhibits, or if you cite to incorrect exhibits. I learned this very early on from my mentor when I first started working in the legal field.

While still meditating and w/o having read the entire motion, I hear HHJP's voice ringing in my ears .....

Something about civil contempt and a $500 per day fine... :innocent:

I wonder if this is one time that HHJP wishes he'd ruled as JA had suggested in regards to the $500 per day fine.

We can't take their word on anything though. They may have completely different plans than what they've laid out and are simply playing word games and being evasive. I don't put much stock in anything they're saying at the moment regarding the experts.

You know, IMO, the SA doesn't even really need the defense expert's info. The SA knows they've got nothing. Their case is completed. The SA has everything they need and would be able to shred or refute anything the defense would try to get in anyhow.

IMO, they are ready. And at this point, the SA is so disgusted with the defense being unprepared, wasteful, and disrespectful of their time, the court's time and the taxpayer's funds, that they are MAKING them do it the right way. Not necessarily because they need it.

The defense dragging their feet is just dragging out the inevitable. Hope they enjoyed tanking their law careers over it.

I wonder if this is one time that HHJPerry wishes he'd ruled as JA had suggested in regards to the $500 per day fine.

He warned them that this was the next step if they didn't submit a check to cover the SA invoice of $583 (?) within a specified # of days(?).

I'm not ready to spike my blood pressure yet - is there a copy of a check to attached to this motion? Or anywhere else for that matter....?

I am guessing that CM didn't care for the little chat they had when HHJP summoned them to sidebar.

Well if Muzikman checked at 4:30 and this was not there --- they must have learned their lesson on filing - whewwwwww cut it close again didn't they. Such quick studies! NOT!:loser:

Ladies and Gentlemen. I apologize my above scenario was a tad off on the details, I heard it from our managing partner at my firm who took note of the hit *advertiser censored* was dealt. Actually the entire OC legal community heard about this ruling. And in some cases it changed procedures for filings. Please see the link below. Please note my firm is NOT *advertiser censored*. And yes that's the acronym the locals around here use for this firm. But basically the filing was not 15 minutes late but only ONE minute late. And Carney ripped them a new one.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/one_minute_delay_costs_mofo_1m_in_attorney_fees

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/01/08/a-litigators-worst-nightmare-late-filing-costs-client-1-million/

He warned them that this was the next step if they didn't submit a check to cover the SA invoice of $583 (?) within a specified # of days(?).

I'm not ready to spike my blood pressure yet - is there a copy of a check to attached to this motion? Or anywhere else for that matter....?

I am guessing that CM didn't care for the little chat they had when HHJP summoned them to sidebar.

Oh to have been a little fly.

Is that info ever made public in transcripts once a trial is over?

I'm so curious, as I asked above... When one attorney in a team gets sanctioned it still remains his sole responsibility to pay. But another member of the team can take the lead in arguing against the sanction while the SANCTIONED party can hide behind their coattails? How is this allowed?

It's seems so... wrong.

Outside of the nominal fine, the ruling works against the defense team, who are jointly and severally responsible for honoring the judge's orders, so effectively the new ruling applies to the defense team as a whole. Cheney can argue that he thinks the ruling applying to his team is x y or z...no worries. It matters not which one of them takes to the podium, they stand before him as a defense team member. MOO

Oh to have been a little fly.

Is that info ever made public in transcripts once a trial is over?

No sidebars are not open to the pubic. But any party to the action can request a copy of a transcript, should one be transcribed.

Oh my! There is just so much truly good stuff in this one. I thought the motion challenging the dogs was the worst thing ever written. But that one did not seem to actually harm both the clients case and the attorneys careers. This one looks disturbingly like suicide on all fronts.

- Missing the deadline by arriving at 5:02pm. Oh boy is HHJP going to rip them one about this. He already addressed this in open court while questioning the defense team. The deadline was NOT close of court 5pm. it was 12 noon. The y missed it by half a day. These are court filings, not dropping off the telephone bill. Time does matter. They were nowhere close. Harping on the 5:02 filing in this motion is clearly a deliberate attempt to be disingenuous to the court and the public, and is yet another action of bad faith before and to the court by this team. :maddening:

- Whether or not they think they do or do not have to produce the reports of information is pretty much irrelevant. the judge ruled. The judge than affirmed and clarified his ruling. It is not a subject open for debate. Failing to follow those orders is CONTEMPT. it does not matter whether or not the judges ruling was right or wrong. You challenge the ruling later or on appeal. BUT YOU MUST OBEY THE ORDER TO THE LETTER. Not only did they continually refuse to do that. This motion clearly telegraphs that they continue to have no intention of doing so. Ummm! WOW! :maddening::maddening::maddening:

- The whole may or may not testify, or probably will not testify etc. IT DOES NOT MATTER! If they are on the defense witness list at this point, the state gets to depose them. In order to do so the defense is required by both law and clear and unequivocal judges order to provide certain documentation. So either provide the documentation or strike the witness from the witness list. No maybe's. There are no maybe's in DP trial witnesses at this late stage. :banghead:

- So they have a private ME report that they seek to use to undermine the coroners autopsy report, because they found mud pooled inside the left side of the skull. WOW! I'm going to guess that they either didn't really read their own expert reports, didn't talk to their own experts, or are just really really not that smart. Not only is that mud mentioned in their experts report, but they called attention to it in their filings in order to stupidly play GOTCHA! Did no one tell them what that mud means? For mud to be pooled inside the cranial cavity it means that the skull or body had to be under water. How many motions have they been filing, and how many people have they subjected to interview and investigation in order to prove that the body or area the body was in was not submerged, and that the body was placed there later? And they publish the physical evidence that their own expert found that supports the conclusion that yeah, it was. And to further pile it on. Since the remains were cremated and this was not documented by the state they would not have been able to bring it forth at trial... until or unless the defense puts their expert on the stand. At which point the state can question him about the mud and get the information to the jury directly from the defense expert. BANG UP JOB THERE BOYS! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

- And lets not escape the entire tone of this filing. I mean really WTH?!?!?! Do they think that the judge is going to respond favorably to being called out in this manner? Do they think another judge called in to review the case will respond any differently? Regardless of the actual root issue (the expert reports or information) they are seeking to undercut judicial authority within the courtroom. Judges and courts strive to treat defendants impartially. But the only requirement they do have is that the court itself is respected. And they tend to act dis-favorably to attempts to disrespect the court. :maddening::banghead::furious::maddening:

- Oh and lastly, let us not forget the tired and aft repeated mantra "The state doesn't have these financial limitations". While I almost expect this sort of amateur bullplop from JB. CM is so fond of reminding us he has been practicing the law for 40 years. (you would have hoped that with 40 years of practice under him he might have gotten a bit better at performance, but what can you say...) One would think that over 40 years of defense work someone might have pointed out to him that that "fairness principle" for indigent defendants is that their funding and costs are held to be similar to the expenditures of other defendants, not the prosecution. This is well established in the states laws and court decisions. And I believe has federal decisions backing it up. This was covered pretty thoroughly when KC was declared indigent. Apparently CM and JB missed that day. :banghead:

Oh boy is the next hearing going to be entertaining.

No check copy and court is FRIDAY and the payment is due to SA THURSDAY -- so that should be $500.00 more if the judge doesn't rule on the written motion before FRIDAY!

Now don't quote me but my guess it is JB's calendar called:
One, Two add a few -- how to expand your vocabulary in 365 days from words you already know.

Jan 6th entry: Twat..................... add a few word: ThWArT

:innocent:

:silly: :skip: :skip: :skip:

No sidebars are not open to the pubic. But any party to the action can request a copy of a transcript, should one be transcribed.

I assumed that sidebar was "off the record". I don't recall a court reporter within earshot. I could be wrong though.

OMG it was not only traffic, but it was that they were THWARTED by traffic!

:floorlaugh:

THWARTED!!! by TRAFFIC!!!!

:drink:

Been a whole lot of THWARTING going on... wasn't it just last week that word was applied to JJ?

Methinks JBs ego has THWARTED his own client's best interests!

You know, IMO, the SA doesn't even really need the defense expert's info. The SA knows they've got nothing. Their case is completed. The SA has everything they need and would be able to shred or refute anything the defense would try to get in anyhow.

IMO, they are ready. And at this point, the SA is so disgusted with the defense being unprepared, wasteful, and disrespectful of their time, the court's time and the taxpayer's funds, that they are MAKING them do it the right way. Not necessarily because they need it.

The defense dragging their feet is just dragging out the inevitable. Hope they enjoyed tanking their law careers over it.

BBM

IMO, the reason to get this info is to keep the defense expert from testifying to something ridiculous and/or untrue. They want to be prepared to counter stuff like that so they don't look like they are scrambling and actually lend credence to bs in the eyes of the jury.

Ladies and Gentlemen. I apologize my above scenario was a tad off on the details, I heard it from our managing partner at my firm who took note of the hit *advertiser censored* was dealt. Actually the entire OC legal community heard about this ruling. And in some cases it changed procedures for filings. Please see the link below. Please note my firm is NOT *advertiser censored*. And yes that's the acronym the locals around here use for this firm. But basically the filing was not 15 minutes late but only ONE minute late. And Carney ripped them a new one.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/one_minute_delay_costs_mofo_1m_in_attorney_fees

Someone should email that article to JB/CM...there's an email link at the top, lol :innocent:

Still lmao at the traffic excuse. I'm surprised they didn't go with..
"but we blew out two front tires on the way to the court house, and then cheny had a mini-stroke, then after hitting a dead squirrel that jumped in front of us, we ran out of gas. We did everything required of the courts and jose pooped in his potty for the first time!!"

My God...am I in a dream?

Reagan, can I borrow this? Too, too, tooo funny!!!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::great:

Oh my! There is just so much truly good stuff in this one. I thought the motion challenging the dogs was the worst thing ever written. But that one did not seem to actually harm both the clients case and the attorneys careers. This one looks disturbingly like suicide on all fronts.

- Missing the deadline by arriving at 5:02pm. Oh boy is HHJP going to rip them one about this. He already addressed this in open court while questioning the defense team. The deadline was NOT close of court 5pm. it was 12 noon. The y missed it by half a day. These are court filings, not dropping off the telephone bill. Time does matter. They were nowhere close. Harping on the 5:02 filing in this motion is clearly a deliberate attempt to be disingenuous to the court and the public, and is yet another action of bad faith before and to the court by this team. :maddening:

- Whether or not they think they do or do not have to produce the reports of information is pretty much irrelevant. the judge ruled. The judge than affirmed and clarified his ruling. It is not a subject open for debate. Failing to follow those orders is CONTEMPT. it does not matter whether or not the judges ruling was right or wrong. You challenge the ruling later or on appeal. BUT YOU MUST OBEY THE ORDER TO THE LETTER. Not only did they continually refuse to do that. This motion clearly telegraphs that they continue to have no intention of doing so. Ummm! WOW! :maddening::maddening::maddening:

- The whole may or may not testify, or probably will not testify etc. IT DOES NOT MATTER! If they are on the defense witness list at this point, the state gets to depose them. In order to do so the defense is required by both law and clear and unequivocal judges order to provide certain documentation. So either provide the documentation or strike the witness from the witness list. No maybe's. There are no maybe's in DP trial witnesses at this late stage. :banghead:

- So they have a private ME report that they seek to use to undermine the coroners autopsy report, because they found mud pooled inside the left side of the skull. WOW! I'm going to guess that they either didn't really read their own expert reports, didn't talk to their own experts, or are just really really not that smart. Not only is that mud mentioned in their experts report, but they called attention to it in their filings in order to stupidly play GOTCHA! Did no one tell them what that mud means? For mud to be pooled inside the cranial cavity it means that the skull or body had to be under water. How many motions have they been filing, and how many people have they subjected to interview and investigation in order to prove that the body or area the body was in was not submerged, and that the body was placed there later? And they publish the physical evidence that their own expert found that supports the conclusion that yeah, it was. BANG UP JOB THERE BOYS! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

- And lets not escape the entire tone of this filing. I mean really WTH?!?!?! Do they think that the judge is going to respond favorably to being called out in this manner? Do they think another judge called in to review the case will respond any differently? Regardless of the actual root issue (the expert reports or information) they are seeking to undercut judicial authority within the courtroom. Judges and courts strive to treat defendants impartially. But the only requirement they do have is that the court itself is respected. And they tend to act dis-favorably to attempts to disrespect the court. :maddening::banghead::furious::maddening:

- Oh and lastly, let us not forget the tired and aft repeated mantra "The state doesn't have these financial limitations". While I almost expect this sort of amateur bullplop from JB. CM is so fond of reminding us he has been practicing the law for 40 years. (you would have hoped that with 40 years of practice under him he might have gotten a bit better at performance, but what can you say...) One would think that over 40 years of defense work someone might have pointed out to him that that "fairness principle" for indigent defendants is that their funding and costs are held to be similar to the expenditures of other defendants, not the prosecution. This is well established in the states laws and court decisions. And I believe has federal decisions backing it up. This was covered pretty thoroughly when KC was declared indigent. Apparently CM and JB missed that day. :banghead:

Oh boy is the next hearing going to be entertaining.

WOW!!! ..................:bow::bow::bow:

I assumed that sidebar was "off the record". I don't recall a court reporter within earshot. I could be wrong though.

If I recall His Honor asked his court reporter over to the sidebar. But I might be off on that fact Beach, but I thought he did. Depending on the issue Judge's do like to transcribe side bars or meetings in chambers. That little doosie about JB's finances was also transcribed. His Honor Judge S made sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52