VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't any chance of them using a CT scan of Jason Doe to try to identify our Jason, he was cremated.

I am assuming you copied the photo from this thread here on WS, it states the following:

Please note: The pants, lighter, quarters, shoes, shirt, & necklaces ARE NOT the actual items belonging to 'Jason Doe'. They are just being used to depict what his MAY HAVE looked like. The tickets and the note did actually belong to Jason.

JasonDoeGratefulDeadFanCollection.jpg

My apologies if this has been brought up before, but this is just a thought I had. Could Jason have been in some kind of substance abuse program/treatment facility prior to his death? If Caroline T. and Caroline O. were involved with the Wharf Rats it could be that Jason was in recovery and looking hang with them to keep sober. I know that someone has been e-mailing/faxing flyers to group homes on the chance that he may have run away from one, so would a similar approach with area clinics and/or hospitals with such programs make sense? Like a flyer that says "Did you treat this young man?" with the recons, his information, and that he may have been named (or going by) Jason? I agree with what others have said about Jason being memorable if his hair was as red as the recons make it appear. Maybe a doctor or psychologist would remember him? :twocents:

I've spent a lot of time reading all the threads in this forum over the past few days trying to come up with any ideas or suggestions. I would like to think that if he was close to home when he died, that someone who knew him would have heard about the accident. Also, and I know this may sound far-fetched, but I wonder if anyone were to go back to the site of the accident and dig around, if anything could be found to help identify him. (I say this because archaeologists dig around and find artifacts from thousands of years ago...it would not be implausible that something from 15 years ago could still be there just buried.) Since he was thrown from the van, I would think that it would be possible that things could have been thrown out of his pocket. Or what if his wallet was laying on the dash and was thrown (or lodged somewhere in the van somehow - I saw that someone had suggested this possibility.) I know guys who keep so much stuff in their wallets, they don't want to sit on it while in a car because it's uncomfortable.

I think your idea is worth looking into. Who's local? Maybe use a metal detector?

I'm 4 hrs away.... anyone closer?
Do we know the exact place of the accident?

This is my first post - I spent hours last night poring over GDF & am completely fascinated. I am also very impressed with the work & dedication you all are showing to help bring this young man home.

Hello everyone. I don't know if this would be of interest to anyone but just in case I thought I would leave it here.

http://www.havelockramsreunion.net/1995/yearbook/yearbook08.htm
Please take a look at the Jason in the third row down. This is a website in NC for a high school reunion for class of 1995. The ones who were missing and couldn't be located for a 10 year reunion where posted.

Compare his picture to this rec. picture of our Jason Doe.

l_8b30bae4c85a9e27b906a424ae400b9c.jpg

I found this information on a music board, A person interested in the case had done some digging. It's in Post number 4.
Dear Grateful Dead fans - Gathering of The Vibes

That high school would be in the location that some feel Jason was headed. It also puts him in the same age group. Personally I feel the photo was incredibly similar. Right down to the unusual hairline.

I will note that on that board someone claimed it's not Jason but even when asked how they knew that was never answered. The board seemed to feel it was still a good possibility. Maybe there is a way for us to find out if this person is alive and well?

If you read further on the Dear Grateful Dead Fans page, it says that Jason Kennedy was located and he was alive and well. Unless they located the wrong Jason Kennedy... they look so much alike!

If you read further on the Dear Grateful Dead Fans page, it says that Jason Kennedy was located and he was alive and well. Unless they located the wrong Jason Kennedy... they look so much alike!

I did read that, that is why I put in my post that a person does claim it is not him. :) However the discussion continued and they are looking for more of a confirmation becuase the similarities are so huge.

I just thought you all had to see it. If nothing else, it goes to show there really is a twin out there for everyone. And it looks like that person would be Jason's. Or the rec photos twin I should say lol.

That looks so much like him, it gave me chills! Then again, the match that someone posted a while back where everyone thought it was him, turned out not to be. But that looks so much like him, the eyebrows are kind of far apart and the nose is similar, almost crooked to one side.

What can be done to get more of a confirmation? I think this is worth mentioning, AT LEAST, to the investigator, definately.

No where on the list of the rule outs is
James Arthur Cole
Doe Network Case File 1521DMMD
Missing since April 12, 1994 from Severna Park, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: September 6, 1972
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6-5'7"; 140 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown eyes; brown/dirty-blond, shoulder-length hair.
* Tattoos: He has a tattoo of a black widow spider on his forearm.
* Clothing: Green "Loyola" baseball cap, a rugby shirt, jeans, and beige and black sport shoes.
* AKA: Jimmy

Circumstances of Disappearance
James Cole was last seen in Severna Park, MD on April 12, 1994. He left the Gingerbread Man Restaurant in Severna Park, to walk home one early April morning in 1994, and was never seen again. He had just four blocks to walk from the restaurant's bar at 566 Ritchie Highway, which is now Bill Bateman's Bistro, to his parents' modest two-story home on Hodges Lane where he lived.

Cole did not have a car and often made the half-mile trek from the Park Plaza shopping center to his home after a night at area bars. On the night of his disappearance, Cole had been drinking and singing karaoke at the Shangri'La Restaurant and the Gingerbread Man with his brother, Jeff. Jeff Cole last saw his brother at 22.00 at the Gingerbread Man. Cole was seen leaving the bar alone around 1:30 on April 11, 1994, visibly intoxicated. Witnesses assumed he was headed home on foot.

Cole's family discovered that morning that he hadn't come home, and searched nearby streets, trails and wooded areas, assuming he had passed out or gotten hurt on his walk to Hodges Lane.
It was unlike Cole to just disappear without telling anyone. Cole hadn't mentioned any planned trips, and none of his possessions were missing. He also had a girlfriend at the time. Cole spoke to his girlfriend every day and would not have left without telling her.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Anne Arundel County Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
Detective Andrew Wayson
410-222-3588

NCIC Number: M-726493996
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Anne Arundel County Police Department

To me, James Cole physically resembles Jason, but there are discrepancies, the main one being that Cole had a tattoo of a black widow spider on his forearm, and no mention of any other possible tattoos such as a 5 pointed star. Of course if James is Jason then perhaps he acquired the star in the year after he went missing. Given that Jason was in a wreck, do we know if he might have lost skin on his forearms as a result of the accident??????

Both young men are about the same height, though James Cole is a bit lighter weight at 140 lbs. Cole is also listed as having dirty blond hair, and yet it looks red to me in his photos. The mouths and eyes look very similar to me as does the shape of the face. To me, the eyes are hauntingly alike. The nose is off, but then again, noses are subjective features on a reconstruction. Is there any information out there on when the reconstruction of Jason was done or for that matter, the sketch?
Also the hair is different, but again, there is no written description of Jason having curly hair, only that his hair was red. So do we really and truly know he had curly hair or was that again, supposition made at a later date when someone's memory was perhaps a bit more fuzzy?

Here's the side by side:

Attachments

• 127UMVA1.jpg
    127UMVA1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 167
  • JACole1.jpg
    JACole1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 167
  • JACole.jpg
    JACole.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 163
He bears a resemblance, so I mean, anything is possible.

I personally feel that James wouldn't have hit the road going to Grateful Dead concerts, without contacting anyone, without taking anything with him. I think it's more likely he fell into water and his body hasn't been found yet. So many intoxicated young men leaving bars lately have been going missing and being found in water (smiley face killer).

Wow, he does look the same and if you look to the left of his face in the picture there is something dark behind his head. It's too far up to be his collar so I bet its a ponytail.
Even if someone said it's not him, if it's not confirmed then it could very well be him.

Hello everyone. I don't know if this would be of interest to anyone but just in case I thought I would leave it here.

http://www.havelockramsreunion.net/1995/yearbook/yearbook08.htm
Please take a look at the Jason in the third row down. This is a website in NC for a high school reunion for class of 1995. The ones who were missing and couldn't be located for a 10 year reunion where posted.

Compare his picture to this rec. picture of our Jason Doe.

l_8b30bae4c85a9e27b906a424ae400b9c.jpg

I found this information on a music board, A person interested in the case had done some digging. It's in Post number 4.
Dear Grateful Dead fans - Gathering of The Vibes

That high school would be in the location that some feel Jason was headed. It also puts him in the same age group. Personally I feel the photo was incredibly similar. Right down to the unusual hairline.

I will note that on that board someone claimed it's not Jason but even when asked how they knew that was never answered. The board seemed to feel it was still a good possibility. Maybe there is a way for us to find out if this person is alive and well?

I think it's wise to see if this possible match that we are waiting on turns out, if not, then maybe some more sleuthing to find jason kennedy.

Wow, I'm really impressed with how dedicated you all are to finding this young man's identity. This case has fascinated me for a long time and I would love to see it solved! :waitasec:

A suggestion
Has anyone checked if there was another student missing or possibly a resident of the town at the university of sc where the driver was attending?

Michael Eric Hager, 21, of Inman, S.C., apparently fell asleep. Hager, a student at the University of South Carolina

This has probably been checked on but maybe because he was a university student or town resident his parents (hager's) wouldn't have known who he was????????
I remeber from attending colleges the boards always had want ads for sharing rides......

progress.gif

I'm sorry if this has been posted and I missed it, but these were the next dates after the 6/25 show:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/95.html

Tuesday 6/27, The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI
Wednesday 6/28, The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI
Friday 6/30, Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA
Sunday 7/2, Deer Creek Amphitheater, Noblesville, IN
Monday 7/3, Deer Creek Amphitheater, Noblesville, IN (Cancelled)
Wednesday 7/5, Riverport Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO
Thursday 7/6, Riverport Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO
Saturday 7/8, Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
Sunday 7/9, Soldier Field, Chicago, IL

Bob Dylan opened for the concerts on 6/24 and 25.

I recently found some pictures from my days back in the day. This picture was taken under a bridge at the RFK show in 95.

Check out the kid in the foreground of the picture with a drum. Looks strikingly like our JD

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/3529/photograph9.jpg

Such a striking resemblance. Does anyone have any photo software that might enable a better look at his arms to see if there is a tattoo?

Probably not him due to shirtless, tanned body, one bead necklace, blue strap on left wrist, grey short, cap and owns a drummer. Jason Doe don't have those stuffs with him when he was found dead in the van. Most long distance travelers carry their luggage for trip but JD didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500