2011.05.04 Verdict Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the evidence/documents/testimony in this trial, I came to the opinion that AS is a typical money-hungry divorce lawyer. By initiating a ridiculous first draft, AS was ensuring ugliness and a lot of back-and-forth between the divorcing spouses...thus ensuring a steady line of income for herself from any divorce between BC and NC.

I don't think AS had any interest in advising her client to work it out amicably. She wanted the max amount of billable hours possible. JMO.

I understand your line of thinking, and I do respect what you are saying, I only am wondering why AS would be considered money hungry. Some of the requests were certainly out there and would not have been entertained in the slightest. Had Brad gotten an attorney, used his cc to pay for it, his attny would have laughed and sent back something that was far different. And that second installment would look just like hers, just in BC's favor.

So, while I agree some requests over the top, she was doing the job she was hired to do. BC's attorney would have done the same. And he would have never agreed with the SA.

Kelly

Sounds reasonable, but probably still needs help from something else, physical evidence, more CE, etc... What are you trying to say in your last sentence, "It begins and ends at Fielding Drive for me I could never hare Reasonable doubt with that in evidence"?

Sorry for the spelling error or rather typo (have not hare) What I am trying to say is I could never have reasonable doubt that BDI having heard the testimony from FBI of the Fielding Drive map on Brad's computer the afternoon of July 11th. The "It begins and ends on Fielding Drive" was me using the words Boz used in closing arguments.

Brittaby Ct, off of Fielding Dr. is approximately 3 mi from the Cooper house. It is not easy to find, IMO.

As someone who needs a GPS to get herself out of her own driveway, I certainly would have to look up such a place, even if it were within 3 mi. of my house. I'd probably have to look it up about 5 times, and print out an overview map and highlight the route for myself. But I'm that bad.

41 seconds? That's a confirmation.

I am and was. My husband saw to it that I never felt 'trapped' once we were financially stable enough to do so.

Ah, but there is the difference. IMO I don't think the Coopers had been financially stable for quite some time.

Seriously? So now AS is to blame. Her duty is to get her client the best financial and situational outcome possible...not to worry about how the other spouse deals with the realities of a separation. Every good negotiation starts with a high ball offer. BC should have gotten a lawyer.

Blame? No. I'm not putting blame anywhere. I am saying that if a divorce lawyer routinely drafts outrageous separation agreements, knowing full well that the time of separation is the most volatile time in a marriage, then that lawyer may want to tone down the separation drafts. Most lawyers state up front that a separation agreement must be reasonable, and that it is not a "wish list". If AS is drafting wish lists, then it is my opinion that she is doing her clients a disservice.

He also goggled his zip code to check weather, so it appears that is a habit of his. I am betting he had driven or biked by the Fielding Drive area more than once and knew the directions well, I believe right before lunch he was anxiously visualizing his plans for the evening in his head and just wanted a quick peek at the area he would be visiting early the next morning. It begins and ends at Fielding Drive for me I could never hare Reasonable doubt with that in evidence!

Amen! The guy trained for the Iron Man Triathalon. You can't train for that solely on a treadmill or stationary bike. Obviously, he ran and biked long distances. Could have easily passed Fielding Drive or through it. People act like he was searching for a random place in Alaska rather someplace 1.6 road miles from his house.

One thing I've never understood is why the kids were in daycare if NC wasn't working and the couple was having financial problems. Childcare for two kids in Cary will run you about $2000 a month. If I was a controlling S.O.B. stressed about money, the first thing I would do is take the kids out of daycare.

The kids were NOT in daycare. That is a rumor expanded upon by the brad is innocent group IMO. The elder child went to preschool, two or three MORNINGS a week. Not sure of your age or child status, but 35 plus years ago, when my children were young, they ALL went to preschool too. After all, we wanted them to have the best possible start once they were old enough for kindergarten. The youngest child had just started a summer day camp program, two weeks IIRC, required for her to start preschool in the upcoming fall session. THE CHILDREN WERE NOT IN DAYCARE. One went to preschool only, mornings.

I understand your line of thinking, and I do respect what you are saying, I only am wondering why AS would be considered money hungry. Some of the requests were certainly out there and would not have been entertained in the slightest. Had Brad gotten an attorney, used his cc to pay for it, his attny would have laughed and sent back something that was far different. And that second installment would look just like hers, just in BC's favor.

So, while I agree some requests over the top, she was doing the job she was hired to do. BC's attorney would have done the same. And he would have never agreed with the SA.

Kelly

I do think BC knew the initial draft was ridiculous, and there was zero chance of it being enforced. BC did meet with The Rosen Firm. He did not pay the retainer, but he met with them after NC sent him the initial draft agreement. So BC knew that agreement would not stand, and his true financial burden would be far less than what AS drew up.

Let's lay off the attorney, AS. She is not on trial here. If her actions contributed, link it up and discuss what is in the link but let's not be bashing her all over the place, okay.

Salem

It's only 1.6 miles from his house off a major road. Do you need discrete directions in your immediate vicinity that you've been living in for 7 years?

That's my point. He probably already knew how to find his way to Fielding Drive, so I guess the "need for directions" scenario sort of fails the plausibility test. There's always Grammy Jean's theory that he just wanted to take a peek at the spot, but the bottom line is that unless it occurred during one of the times when I was actually working, IMO the prosecution never really presented a plausible explanation as to why BC would use Google Maps for this purpose.

The kids were NOT in daycare. That is a rumor expanded upon by the brad is innocent group IMO. The elder child went to preschool, two or three MORNINGS a week. Not sure of your age or child status, but 35 plus years ago, when my children were young, they ALL went to preschool too. After all, we wanted them to have the best possible start once they were old enough for kindergarten. The youngest child had just started a summer day camp program, two weeks IIRC, required for her to start preschool in the upcoming fall session. THE CHILDREN WERE NOT IN DAYCARE. One went to preschool only, mornings.

Preschool for our two daughters a couple of years ago was around $150 per month for each child.

They were going to get separated and divorced. If you read the separation agreement, she would have gone back to Canada (because no green card)and he would have to Fly up every other weekend to see the girls...or fly them and NC down if he couldn't fly up. Easily another $1000 per month in expense on top of $2000+ Child Support and then Alimony. Clearly, BC was looking for alternatives to that and getting her a Green Card, staying here and having joint custody would have cut that bill in half. Unfortunately, he decided to go with Plan C.....

From which you can conclude they agreed to 'something' and were planning to at least co-habitate for a while. If NC really wanted out she would have pursued a SA with those terms, but living separately - correct?

Does anyone know if Nancy actually wanted to work? The extreme financial numbers of the separation agreement seem to indicate that she still wanted to be a full time stay-at-home mother and was looking for enough money from the estranged ex-husband to support such a goal.

Nancy 'wanted to work' since 2001, she wanted her green card. She held two jobs prior to moving to the U.S. Yes, she wanted to work, but she was dependent upon Brad to fill out the paperwork and follow through on it to get her green card through Cisco. Brad didn't do that, period.

From the evidence/documents/testimony in this trial, I came to the opinion that AS is the stereotypical money-hungry divorce lawyer. By initiating a ridiculous first draft, AS was ensuring ugliness and a lot of back-and-forth between the divorcing spouses...thus ensuring a steady line of income for herself from any divorce between BC and NC.

I don't think AS had any interest in advising her client to work it out amicably for the sake of her family and children. AS wanted the max amount of billable hours possible. JMO.

Typical divorce lawyer. My experience is that divorce lawyers get to the money questions first. They do a mental calculation on how long it will take to get that money into their pockets, and then the litigation starts. It carries on for about 2-3 years and then they wrap it up with a compromise for both parties; one that is usually glaringly obvious at the outset. It's an ugly situation for everyone that willingly enters. A good lawyer will recommend mediation as the first step in order to see what can be agreed on without a Judge's intervention.

catathymic crisis
an isolated, nonrepetitive act of violence that develops as a result of intolerable tension.

Also - according to one well documented study - where men have killed their wives- fully 1/3 were instances where there was NO RECORDED HISTORY of domestic violence.

BBM
How about this scenario then: There is this really neat spot in North Raleigh that I stumbled upon a couple weeks ago. My friends want to go on a picnic. while I remember the general area it is in I can't remember just where I should turn off Millbrook road to get there. I put 27609 into the search bar to bring up the map, and have to zoom and scroll a bit to find the name of the road to turn on to get to the right place.

IMHO BC found that secluded site off Fielding Rd while Nancy was on vacation. when he made up his mind to finally get rid of his wife, he just needed to check the name of that road and double check his lefties and righties.

and I will just leave alone the rest of your post.

You aren't talking about the little park back behind Cedar Hills are you? Used to take my children there for picnics and play. They too loved it, but I'm guessing you are probably more around the Shelley Lake area. :seeya::seeya::seeya:

Impossible. Remember, he can't even check his call logs. Plus, I'm sure he would say that the bailiff tampered with his phone. :phone:

I am quite sure that it wasn't the baliff and Brad didn't have to accuse anyone. That the phone was tampered with is a fact and the evidence is clear and irrefutable to anyone that understands the underlying technical details.

CONTROL is a basic of DV. Nancy wanted her green card since 2001. She did not want to come back to N.C. way back then. Brad has hindered her from getting that green card/freedom, the whole time she was here.

Nancy Cooper is DEAD. Hard to deny that. And regardless of what he prosectuion did or didn't *prove*, far more people believe Brad to be factually GUILTY. They may not believe it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but they believe him to be guilty. IIRC, even NCSU stated he 'thought brad probably did it'. The end result of domestic abuse/DV is death.

Yes, I think he is probably guilty. And I would be all the way there if the prosecution had done anything to address the tampering allegations by the defense. Instead, they talked about JWs facebook page, fought hard to keep GM's testimony out, and didn't provide any rebuttal evidence to show how those files got into that state.

That's my point. He probably already knew how to find his way to Fielding Drive, so I guess the "need for directions" scenario sort of fails the plausibility test. There's always Grammy Jean's theory that he just wanted to take a peek at the spot, but the bottom line is that unless it occurred during one of the times when I was actually working, IMO the prosecution never really presented a plausible explanation as to why BC would use Google Maps for this purpose.

Don't you need to know whether the site is suitable to dumping a body without being seen. How close is the nearest house? Is there vegetation or water....etc.

Are you going to go physically to the site during the day and risk getting seen poking around in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther