TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not the bank could/would notify him of anything on her account might depend on the laws in that particular state. Some states have different laws then others over what constitutes marital assets. But even if it was a notice they mailed her, I have to admit if my spouse went missing I'd open his bank statement in a heartbeat. What if someone had mugged her or carjacked her and was using her card? Wouldn't he want to know? So even if it was her account and it went down that way, that wouldn't make me think one way or the other.

The marital laws would really have nothing to do with her bank accounts unless she had passed or getting divorced. The only person to have access to her account would be her, if living, and her beneficiary if deceased. It wouldn't even go thru probate....straight to bennie.

I'm thinking LE informed him, but if joint, he could have found out from the bank also, phone or puter if his pin was good or from a visit in person to the bank. She could still be getting paper bank statements, but most are available on line now.

I'd go thru my spouse's mail too if they went missing.

Thanks thoughtfox- I did think about that (and knowing the road, I agree about the mule!!)
Your post did give me another thought- which is that this area is highly traveled at certain times of the year by bikers and other tourists.

http://www.allgetaways.com/view_destination.asp?destinationid=XFA127-011

Perhaps someone has a video that they don't realize has Gail or her vehicle in it?

That's an excellent idea! And I hope people who hear about this story check their footage.

But as you can see, there probably aren't any traffic cams unless she came down 127 to the Komatsu Plant, and then into Chattanooga where there is surely a traffic camera near the Olgiati Bridge over the Tn River.

The marital laws would really have nothing to do with her bank accounts unless she had passed or getting divorced. The only person to have access to her account would be her, if living, and her beneficiary if deceased. It wouldn't even go thru probate....straight to bennie.

I'm thinking LE informed him, but if joint, he could have found out from the bank also, phone or puter if his pin was good or from a visit in person to the bank. She could still be getting paper bank statements, but most are available on line now.

I'd go thru my spouse's mail too if they went missing.

I'm not totally sure, but I think in Tennessee they include everything as joint property, even if only one spouse's name is on something. However, we don't know what this money in the bank was from. Was it some old savings Gail had from when she worked? A paid-out severance, or money from a 401K? An inheritance? I guess then technically it would be hers, and that might be why it was only in her name. However, I believe it might still be counted as shared property legally - but don't quote me on that.

That's an excellent idea! And I hope people who hear about this story check their footage.

But as you can see, there probably aren't any traffic cams unless she came down 127 to the Komatsu Plant, and then into Chattanooga where there is surely a traffic camera near the Olgiati Bridge over the Tn River.

ITA, I don't think there are traffic cameras along that specific 127 route... But there are weather cameras and whatnot, and they pick up vehicles at times. And there is a traffic camera over that bridge... but I guess maybe currently out of order?

http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm

And I sure hope people check their own footage from that time frame!

http://www.trafficland.com/

I'm not totally sure, but I think in Tennessee they include everything as joint property, even if only one spouse's name is on something. However, we don't know what this money in the bank was from. Was it some old savings Gail had from when she worked? A paid-out severance, or money from a 401K? An inheritance? I guess then technically it would be hers, and that might be why it was only in her name. However, I believe it might still be counted as shared property legally - but don't quote me on that.

My mother lived there and passed. All a/c's in her name only were passed on by way of beneficiary and the rest were handled in probate. Some types of accounts could be sticky with taxes or penalties depending on upon the age of the person also. We also don't know how extended the bank was as far as investment options. Some smaller banks in affluent areas have just as many provisions as larger one's in bigger cities. You'd be surprised at some of the smaller banks in the midwest farm areas and what they provide and handle. Hope no future bank robbers are reading this!!! lol

227054_210526478977732_210209109009469_650393_2059170_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Gail-Home-Now/210209109009469

I received a notice in the mail at the old address AND at the new address.

This means that the husband now has Gail's new address, right? So LE and the family should know what Gail put down as her new place of residence. Why haven't we heard anything about this?

Also, if Gail changed the PINs and submitted a change of address, she had to know that her husband would find out about these changes. Why bother to hide anymore, now that the media has reported the husband has been told about the PINs and the new address? If she's still hiding, she must have moved on to another location and hasn't filled out change of address forms this time.

The other option is that the PINs and the change of address form are obfuscations or flat-out lies.

I also wanted to add another couple of thoughts, total speculation but it's something that stuck out at me when I was reading the news articles again tonight:

Gail apparently hid a key from the husband so he couldn't drive. She also called 911 when he jumped out of the car and started walking. Both of these things sound like she is trying to prevent the husband from being hurt, and I wonder if he was on medication that had side effects which affected his judgment, balance, alertness, etc. With her education and experience, she would know more than anyone about medication issues and might have been worried about him driving or walking on a road alone.

Also, I work in medical records and have worked on many psychology and social work reports. The counselors always tell the families to call 911 if the someone might be at risk of harm to self or others. Perhaps those 911 domestic calls weren't domestic violence in the classic sense but calls for help regarding assistance with a mental or emotional issue. That might explain why LE decided Gail should take the kids and go to the other house.

If the husband is ill, that would explain why he/his family doesn't want this story to go national.

Again, these are just thoughts.

I may be confused but were police called out to their residence concerning a domestic issue on the 29th? Is that the night he agreed to stay at their residence and she could take the children to Lake Jordan in Alabama? Anyone know what time the police were there? Was it sometime during the night on the 29th? IF thats what happened, IMO that is quite a distance to drive just to spend the night and then turn right back around and drive back the next morning..Also would her route have been 27 to I-24 to I-59 to I-65?

I also wanted to add another couple of thoughts, total speculation but it's something that stuck out at me when I was reading the news articles again tonight:

Gail apparently hid a key from the husband so he couldn't drive. She also called 911 when he jumped out of the car and started walking. Both of these things sound like she is trying to prevent the husband from being hurt, and I wonder if he was on medication that had side effects which affected his judgment, balance, alertness, etc. With her education and experience, she would know more than anyone about medication issues and might have been worried about him driving or walking on a road alone.

Also, I work in medical records and have worked on many psychology and social work reports. The counselors always tell the families to call 911 if the someone might be at risk of harm to self or others. Perhaps those 911 domestic calls weren't domestic violence in the classic sense but calls for help regarding assistance with a mental or emotional issue. That might explain why LE decided Gail should take the kids and go to the other house.

If the husband is ill, that would explain why he/his family doesn't want this story to go national.

Again, these are just thoughts.

My first thought would be she may have hidden the keys because he may have been too intoxicated to drive...JMHO

Emerald and glorias, I think these are very very provocative questions. I never really bought that Gail was calling in a spat, fwiw.

Glorias, WELCOME TO WS!!!! We are glad to have you here.

I may be confused but were police called out to their residence concerning a domestic issue on the 29th? Is that the night he agreed to stay at their residence and she could take the children to Lake Jordan in Alabama? Anyone know what time the police were there? Was it sometime during the night on the 29th? IF thats what happened, IMO that is quite a distance to drive just to spend the night and then turn right back around and drive back the next morning..Also would her route have been 27 to I-24 to I-59 to I-65?

Yes, it was the29th. I've wondered about the time of day too. I don't think it was in any of the articles.

You are right. I know of only a couple of exceptions where it could have been considered her own property according to the law. Such as having owned it before the marriage or having inherited it. There could be more exceptions, but I just don't know what they are. And...exceptions aside, if the funds get mingled together with marital funds, all bets are off.

Really, having only one spouse's name on the property just controls who can access it (including creditors) or borrow against it.

I think it all depends on where they were when that happened. Even if there were no alcohol or medications involved, what choices did she have? Call for help or leave him there. If it wasn't a safe place to leave him, then she had to call 911, since she couldn't "make him" get in the car.

That might explain why LE decided Gail should take the kids and go to the other house.

I don't think LE named up who would go where. Just that they be in different locations until the next day. That's based on what I know about domestic calls, along with the fact that no article specifically says she went to Alabama because the police wanted her to.

I have heard a couple of the rumors that were posted in the comments section at the TFP online through word of mouth, but right now, everything is rumor. It's what drives me absolutely crazy about Signal Mtn., or any small tight community. When someone moves into that community and there is a problem such as this, the rumor mill spins out of control.

The Silence, especially from LE, doesn't help this. Things are known, people have info to counter statements Matt has made, some from observation and some from actions and words from Gail before she disappeared. If these things are true, they are surely verifiable by a simple investigation. This information has been given to LE. There is silence as a result. We are mystified. LE seems to take no action but everyone is hoping they ARE, and are playing it close. BUT we are worrying that no action is being taken at all.
To see only what Matt has said treated as facts (and facts out of context) discussed, there's a human need to say things cryptically (for fear of hindering the investigation we hope exists) which ends up as rumor. Which yes, Signal Mountain is very good at....which also makes it mind boggling that you could still find people 10 days after her disappearance who didn't know about it!

The last known sightings of Gail (or the jeep, at least) are not even being spoken of. Surely it would be helpful to publish those since reading/hearing them might trigger someone elses memory?

Many people in the community who do not know the family, can make an argument for either spouse being the wronged party, which is how it should be, based on information available.

If the things Gail had said in the weeks before she disappeared are not the case...ie. she was delusional when she said them...then by now police should have confirmed this and be quite able to make statements to support those of her husband, and surely have no reason not to do so? Personally I want very badly to believe this scenario.

Gail though, has disappeared with no known ability to fund it (unless she had been secreting cash for months before...which is possible), in a car which needs gas at some point, in a community where a vehicle can relatively easily be lost from the road...let alone an off-road trail. (If she was stressed, abit of offroading might be just the way to blow off steam?). NO-one is looking for her as a person hurt by mis-adventure, or else there would have been searching going on. Her vehicle was specifically an off-road vehicle, (the Sahara being the same top-of-the-line road driving vehicle) and she sometimes took it off road. There has been no official call to other offroaders to search the trails. There has been NO official call for an intensive search of the mountain...or if there has been, this rumor-mongering community has no rumor of it.

I didn't ask how the person knew this, but it's likely that she would: Gail's husband was running an errand with his mother when she came home and she apparently called to let him know the kids were home, and she was going out and leaving them. At 12 and 9 this is legal in TN. For these kids, a few hours alone at home is totally appropriate to their maturity level. (on the kid subject, they are spending the weekend out of town....but not in the same towns as each other. These two are close...at a time like this, maybe out of town......but surely together? What is their father thinking??? ...Can't dwell on this, can't see the keyboard to type otherwise).

Does the person who obtained the cell phone info have the means to find out more about whether LE actually is following up on the claims Gail made before she disappeared??? Just to KNOW that they were trying, would help.

I think it all depends on where they were when that happened. Even if there were no alcohol or medications involved, what choices did she have? Call for help or leave him there. If it wasn't a safe place to leave him, then she had to call 911, since she couldn't "make him" get in the car.

there is some precedent for the alcohol theory....general neighborhood knowledge which could be untrue...especially if Gail is delusional about this also...don't know if it's been witnessed at get togethers, or just based on what she has said. Gail often was worried about the effect of alcohol on her husband and the consequent effect it had on her family.

If she was delusional however, assuming this is true would be as bad as assuming Mat is lying/exaggerating her delusion.

I dont know that LE's silence indicates inaction. We know that these folks had electronic items in pretty good supply, GPS, cell phones, computers, highly placed postions with stable well known employers. We have computers at work, what kind of cell phones which may be like small computers etc....there is a lot to process here. We have one side of the story , ie: DH's, which has to be coroberated or refuted by evidence...it is not a 48 process, more's the pity. We have friends and family on both sides with divergent opinions. We know that the close bio family members of each side are likely to defend their loved ones...using that lens, how do you prove which side is more accurate.

It is a big job, there is a big area to search IF it is determined her disappearance is not voluntary.

JMO.

Confused, I am relieved and energized by this statement:

There is no doubt that Matt is doing anything he can to assist the LE.

We so oftern see a spouse under these circumstances who lawyers up, thereby preventing LE from moving forward with any investigation.

Thank you for this welcome news!! :)

Ummm....he's most deffiately lawyered up...no delay doing that...soon as he agreed she was missing.

...but maybe that's not unusual, or it's possible the lawyer is a buddy.

Apparently he has hired a PI though, who talks with LE...so seems like some effort is being made...and although some feel it's just a way to keep up with what the police know, that seems extremely uncharitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419