"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit" Smelling the decomp cans

I wonder if they should give the jury the option to smell the cans? If I were on the jury I would want to smell it, esp since I already have. But I also understand that some people might not want to smell it.

As for the smell of a dead animal, it is completly different..

Jane just told Dr.K maybe he should be on the defense team lol, I wish she would ask him why he quit the defense team...he was one of the experts early on..I do wonder why he is no longer with the DT?

:waitasec: I am a bit confused, I thought that Dr.Kobolinsky? (sp) was at one time on the defense team? He had stayed away from the media up until recently. He now is saying in his own way that Dr.Vass is the only one that can back up this new science. He questions why there are no other labs/scientist that don't have anything to back up what Dr.Vass has testified to and why it has not been used in court. He also said any lay person can provide what Dr.Vass has to say? Did I understand that right?

Dr.K also says that he feels it's very unusual that there was no DNA or several compounds of bodies with decomposition. Jane claims he is the big expert..

I am begining to think that JVM is adovacting for Baez :cow: Why is it that most of her guest always question what the prosecution has as evidence? Is it me? :waitasec:

JVM has always considered Jose her friend and a great representative of the Hispanic community. Because of that she always tries to show him in the best light. imoo She does forget at times and talks about what a lowlife creep Casey is, but then she catches herself and talks about the DT in a positive way each time.

I wonder if they should give the jury the option to smell the cans? If I were on the jury I would want to smell it, esp since I already have. But I also understand that some people might not want to smell it.

As for the smell of a dead animal, it is completly different..

I would too. It's a unique, unforgettable odor. They should be able to smell it.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does having the jury smell the cans basically make them witnesses in the case?

You can ask on the lawyer thread, as I am not a lawyer. But I agree with Phoebeb. Using the sense of smell to evaluate evidence is no different than the jury using the sense of sight to look at artifacts from the crime scene or the sense of hearing to listen to a 911 tape.

Didn't the Anthony family use non-chlorine pool cleaners? I think that was why DS once was trying to use the pool at Tony's, and Caylee little bathing suit, to form the chloroform in the trunk. That was a preposterous idea, IMO.

If I am not mistaken they used Baquasil (sp) non chlorine. It was one of the things that were researched here on WS early on.

JVM spinning the 'fantasy world' of Casey myth of the DT. Marcia Clark: "Her lies were opportunistic." JC, LK, et al looking somber, as if MC just revealed the emperor has no clothes on. What is MC, the token prosecution supporter on this panel?

Some of you may have noticed a small temporal distortion there while two parallel threads were merged.

If you were posting on the JVM show talking about decomp smell, please carry on.

Likewise if you were posting on the "If the glove don't fit" thread... carry on.

Ill effects of temporal distortion from suddenly merged threads may include confusion, dizziness and nausea, all of which usually dissipate after a very short time.

Thank you for your patience during this thread management situation. :tyou:

Human decomposition is not something you volunteer to smell. Imagine the worst thing you ever smelled and multiply it by a million. It is unique. It is horrible. Not a rotting animal, not a skunk, and certainly not a rotten potato.

I for one would not want to smell the remains of that dear child. But moo, is that Casey should have to smell the can and be reminded what she has done to that beautiful Angel

Please don't make me smell something far, far worse than rotten butternut squash. They would have to expect people to :sick: right there in the court room. Wear smocks, and here's a barf bag. It's not necessary.

With all the evidence of a decomposing body in the trunk, why didn't the defence simply include that fact as part of the defence theory? Is it any more ridiculous to assume that George held on to the body for a little while before he allegedly disposed of it then it is to assume that Kronk found/saved/moved the body.

Is there something that I am missing about why they fail to accept this evidence? It seems much more logical to accept that the body was there and pursue their theory that George was responsible for this?

Why wouldn't this work? Help me out here...

I think this might have been discussed before, but I can't find it. My question is Since they decided not to allow the jury to smell the contents of the can (because the judge doesn't want to make the jury witness) could that actually hurt the state's case? I'm wondering if there are jurors that, while they have been told that the air in the can was from decomp found inside of Casey's car, may not believe that? I'm thinking it could potentially be something along the lines of a person seeing a sign that states Wet Paint and still to touching the paint. That may not be the best example, but I am interested in everyone's opinions.

Actually, I think the State are wise not to pursue subjecting the jury to the carpet sample in the can. I think these prosecutors are extremely capable and professional but I have to admit, I was truly surprised when I heard LDB suggest it during jury selection. I'm so glad Judge Perry ruled as he did and imo cut off another possible appellant issue. The State have imho introduced enough firsts in this case and they have ample witnesses, lay and non lay who have/will give their opinion of the odour. And who could question Dr Vass's credentials.

The dog handler is yet to come and no doubt when recalled ex homicide detective Yuri Mellich will re-inforce the opinion of his colleague CSI Ivestigator Eudeardo Blosie as to the origins of the smell in the trunk.

I don't think this jury needs much more convincing, that Caylee's dead body was in that trunk, particularly in light of Baez pathetic contention that a bag of empty food cartons could mimic the lingering stench of death.

Tow yard manager Simon Birch was a prize for the State. Not only was his testimony believable, he once worked in the waste refuge business and during his other career path has probably smelled every conceivable odour that could come from a car, including a suicide victim. What a dream witness for the State. :woohoo:

With all the evidence of a decomposing body in the trunk, why didn't the defence simply include that fact as part of the defence theory? Is it any more ridiculous to assume that George held on to the body for a little while before he allegedly disposed of it then it is to assume that Kronk found/saved/moved the body.

Is there something that I am missing about why they fail to accept this evidence? It seems much more logical to accept that the body was there and pursue their theory that George was responsible for this?

Why wouldn't this work? Help me out here...

ICA had exclusive use of that car from June 16th till it was towed on June 27th. She will never admit to having anything to do with disposing of her child's body.........or using duct tape.

I posted this on another thread yesterday. I hope they can do something like this - it would solve both problems. Particularly if they set the can near the jury stand:

I know that HHJP does not want the jury to become "witnesses" by having them smell the "cans of death" the media has been playing up which contain the air from the trunk that was sealed and has been in the FBI lab. Although I was interested to see a can being unpacked the other day in court and was wondering just how it might come into play.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm wondering if the prosecution can somehow sidestep the issue of having the jurors smell the can outright by having an actual cadaver dog enter the courtroom to see if the dog will alert on the can when it is opened. I would imagine that would be pretty dramatic - to see a trained cadaver dog immediately alert on a can of decomp air from the trunk of ICA's car that is three years old.

The state could make the point all over again about the accuracy of the dogs and the fact that, even after time, the air that came from in that car still smells like a dead body.

It would also destroy JB's silly claim about not being able to have a dog on the stand as a witness.

That would be a brilliant move.

I personally think the smell of the cans is pointless to the jury anyways. There is more than enough people testifying that it smelt like decomp. Including Vass today who has 20 years of experience. I thought his testimony was a home run for the state today.

I agree. I don't understand the point of the cans. People have said the car smelled like decomp and the jury is not full of experts on decomp smell. So what's the point? They smell the cans - what does that mean as far as Casey Anthony's guilt? I think there are plenty of other things that point to her guilt. I would hate to be on a jury and have to do this. I can look at gruesome pictures, but having to smell something like a dead body will make me sick.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does having the jury smell the cans basically make them witnesses in the case?

It seems like one would have to assume that the jury is full of experts on decomp smell, otherwise they already have to take someone else's word that the car smelled like decomp. If that's the case I would rather just take the person's word who says it smells like decomp without having to smell those cans.

I wasn't able to watch today - do they also want to make the jury smell the garbage/trash? Will there be a sample of known decomp to compare this alleged decomp smell to? The jury is not getting paid enough for this...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back