IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also possible that they could have had plans to get together and then argued and she didn't want to meet up with him that night. These two were in a long term relationship and things like that happen. Maybe her roommate didn't know about the argument. She may have been blowing off steam by partying and hanging out with these other friends/boys. Just speculation.
In this article HT says it was the boyfriend who told her (I would presume) the next day that he was suppose to come over after the basketball game.But she never says if/ why he said they never got together except for losing the phone which no one is buying.A little strange that apparently he never tried to call her after the game but before she lost her phone.Maybe you are right and he said but we had a fight and this is just another neg. detail she does not want to disclose or maybe the argument was between LS and HT who was tired of her boyfriend staying their all the time.Which is why she never called him and went out instead.
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...-Spierer-s-roommate-details-day-disappearance

can someone please fill me in on this case? like a summary of it?
There's a thread for Lauren in "Missing! Timeline and Media Links" sub-forum. News articles going back to the beginning are logged there. You can get a pretty good idea of what's taken place just by scrolling through the posts.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139766"]IN IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 * Media Links* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Yes, but she also left her shoes at Kilroy's and did not return home to get more shoes. Sadly, it just doesn't seem likely that she ran away.

She could pick up a pair of flip-flops somewhere for like $2.

Her parents have probably searched carefully through her belongings. If the passport is missing, she may have run away.

One of my college acquaintances joined a religious community despite his parents' objections.

We should consider the possibility that she is still alive; at this point, JMO it's not just false hope yet.

Her parents have probably searched carefully through her belongings. If the passport is missing, she may have run away.

One of my college acquaintances joined a religious community despite his parents' objections.

We should consider the possibility that she is still alive; at this point, JMO it's not just false hope yet.

No one is saying she can't still be alive; but she would have to have a great deal of hatred/dislike for her parents, friends, college, town, etc. if she did it on purpose and in this manner and there is nothing to suggest that. Her being missing has caused a great deal of pain, frustration, problems for her friends, not to mention money...

If I had a nickel for every time someone has said "LE has a pretty good idea of what happened and feel as tho the case will be resolved sooner rather than later".. I'd be rich on nickels.. I know we all wish this were the case in each of the Missing persons threads that we follow.. And many still believe that LE do have and know a whole heckuva alot more than we do..

Sadly many times this does not seem to be the case at all. Even if they Do have or know alot more than us it still evidently is not enough to lead to finding the Missing person or bringing their killer(s) to justice..

Haleigh Cummings, Kyron Horman, Hailey Dunn, Holly Bobo, Shelley Mook, Gail Nowacki-Palmgren.. Are just a very very few that immediately come to mind that proves that LE doesn't know or have what we wish that they did as in info, evidence, to find these innocent people who are all most likely dead and to bring to justice their killers..

Sadly alot of times LE doesn't have anything they can use to complete either of those agendas(bringing them home and prosecuting the perps)

What I don't understand is, we have all seen pictures of video surveillance around these apartments and campus. Either they didn't work that night, or someone was clever enough to know the camera movements (if they had them).

I just find it down right scary in a world of observation, nothing can be pulled of that night that makes this a open and shut case.

I too hope that LE has a handle on this, but....

No, don't think so, this supposed syndrome has gotten a LOT of media attention.

Historically, governments and religious organizations serving the interests of government, have sometimes encouraged attitudes of extreme self-blame, which can immobilize people politically, esp. if they already have religious tendencies. Much easier to claim that God is punishing people for not being virtuous enough than to deal with food, housing and job shortages.

Similarly, it's much easier these days for the powers-that-be to blame the public for a supposedly racist obsession with the fate of White college & university students than to deal with the problem that campuses are just not safe.

Huh? :waitasec: It's pretty much a given that the poorer, less attractive, and less white you are, the less likely your case is to get media attention. I can't think of a single minority kidnapping that's had attention on the scale of the Natalee Holloway mystery. It's sad to see, but I'm not trying to say that it's LS's fault for fitting the mold of what the American newsmedia likes to show.

What I am wondering about is if this was a staged abduction, and if the unidentified IU student who wrote this paper had anything to do with it. I mean, we have a witness who claims she saw a (possibly) minority dude with LS in the last few hours before she vanished. It could be that some sick student is trying to make a point, or that someone unrelated to this writer saw this and decided to see if this student's thesis was true. It sounds far-fetched, and likely isn't connected, but I just got really creeped out because:

-From IU's student pages
-Subject matter happens to match the victim profile
-There's no identifying information about the author (unlike the pages for LS's and the POIs' student project pages, which have their names on them) or works cited showing where the information was taken from
-Popped up on the second page of googlehits, which is pretty high up for a student page

But I do agree w/ you: many campuses do not have adequate safety measures. Questions for IU students/grads, Btown, and other locals: Does IU operate on the Blue Light Emergency Phone system? If so, are the poles located just within immediate campus areas, or does it extend to popular student housing in the area such as where LS and the POIs lived? Do students know about and actually use them? What about campus emergency telephone lines? Are incidents required to be released to the public? What about emergency texting/calling alerts? Any and all info on campus safety for IU would be much appreciated.

I went to school in a big east coast city known for its crime. We had the blue light system and were told if chased to run and hit any of the blue lights you can so you can be traced, but most of us lived off campus, and I never knew a single incident where the blue lights were used. Everyone did have the emergency and non-emergency numbers for campus security on our cells and have used them on occasion, and regularly receive text/phone call/email alerts when there are incidents reported.

It is almost impossible for LE to solve a missing persons case of someone who has gone involuntarily missing, meaning they won't leave a phone or financial trail, unless they get a confession from someone involved, or at least find the body, if the person is deceased. They don't even know what type of crime they have right now, in Lauren's crime; was she abducted, was she murdered, did she die accidently someplace inconvenient where she can't be found, was she hit by a car. If the action did not take place on video, LE has to count on dealing with people and hoping that someone tells them something. These cases can go on for years, or forever. Hoping that does not happen here.

It's mostly a matter of organization. Threads can sometimes become like runaway trains if they go on for too long, with many different aspects of a case spread out all over the place. If someone comes along later and wants to review previous events, it's easier if the information is encapsulated into chapters, so to speak. And after too many posts the discussion can grow sour. A new thread provides a fresh start.

Speaking of which, we might let this run through this evening, and I'll open a new one in the morning.

Which does make this easier to follow. I appreciate it!

To follow up on my previous post, the top is the original image with sizes as I posted on the previous page, the bottom image has the object in the back resized to fit the proportions of a 4'11" person.

1902021.jpg

1902451.jpg

I've actually considered that after the horrible night she'd just had, she might have needed to take off on her own for awhile, to get her head on straight. When I was about 20, I had a public fight with a bf that got physical. I was so embarrassed, that I packed my bags and was going to take off, but a friend talked me out of it. Another friend DID actually take off after a fight with her bf and another girl...just packed up and went from Texas to Chicago. So, a lot of females do have the urge to run when things get out of control... but after 2 weeks, that doesn't seem to be the case here. To be fair to this young lady, the worst has to be assumed...I guess. If not, too many clues could be lost. MOO.

Wikis are fine, Moreack. I tend to agree with you, but I wouldn't say I'm absolutely certain there is not a person in the back of the truck.

When I first viewed the photos shortly after they were released, I briefly scanned each one, taking in the whole image and not focusing on any one particular area. Then I read a comment from someone who said they could see Lauren in the back of the truck. I took a second look, and immediately saw a shadowy figure of a blonde haired woman sitting up with her back against the rear window, and her arm resting on her bent knee. Her body language was very open, and my mind interpreted a woman who was alert, comfortable, and enjoying the ride. I expected to see something quite different.

There has been a lot of effort put into enhancing the photos to clarify physical details, most of which I can't make out. Still, the work is impressive, and I give kudos to those who have taken the time to do it. Besides recognizing shapes and forms, however, I'm interested in perceptions. As in the case of pareidolia, it's not necessary for each physical attribute to be accurate in order to get an impression. The back of a clock can look like a frowning face, as in the wiki photo. So, other than physical details, what do people discern from the images? What is the mind saying about the scene? I haven't read much discussion about that, and although it's subjective, I think it would be interesting to note.
When we looked at the picture, my daughter saw the same relaxed female you just described, but wearing a hoodie. What I saw was a little different...a female who looked like she was propped up and pulling herself up. I saw something that looked like a tarp or blanket, so I thought maybe it was used as a cover for a passed out or knocked out female....and then her coming to and looking around. That is a wild interpretation, I know, and that's why I didn't post it earlier. Actually, I think I was taking what others saw, adding it to this case, and then seeing something sinister in every shape. I'm back to wondering if the shape is even a female, because it looks so large, compared to the size of the truck. MOO.

New tip leads police north of Bloomington in search for Lauren Spierer

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-new-t...,6866396.story

Interesting.

IN-37 is the main route from Bloomington to Indianapolis.

I've taken our scouts camping near Martinsville a number of times, Morgan Monroe state park is just south of Martinsville and has lake lemon - which is a pretty good size lake we've stayed at. Lake Lemon is populated but the park itself is pretty sparse.

I can't think of a single minority kidnapping that's had attention on the scale of the Natalee Holloway mystery. It's sad to see, but I'm not trying to say that it's LS's fault for fitting the mold of what the American newsmedia likes to show.

According to the LoHud article, LS is Jewish, and therefore she could count as a member of a minority group.

I've actually considered that after the horrible night she'd just had, she might have needed to take off on her own for awhile, to get her head on straight. When I was about 20, I had a public fight with a bf that got physical. I was so embarrassed, that I packed my bags and was going to take off, but a friend talked me out of it. Another friend DID actually take off after a fight with her bf and another girl...just packed up and went from Texas to Chicago. So, a lot of females do have the urge to run when things get out of control... but after 2 weeks, that doesn't seem to be the case here. To be fair to this young lady, the worst has to be assumed...I guess. If not, too many clues could be lost. MOO.

To be fair, we should consider any possibility that cannot be proven impossible. But I agree that no clue should be disregarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley