Delay revealed-Motion to determine competency filed by defense

My theory is that this was not exactly a ploy by the DT, but rather a strategic use of an actual concern of the DT regarding a behavior or statement by Casey. I don't think it was feigned by Casey, either. I wouldn't be surprised if she is delusional to some degree about walking away free from this trial. She could have said or done something totally out there that made someone on the DT go, hmm. Maybe it would be worthwhile to have her evaluated again.

I think they were trying to use anything possible to get a mistrial. I think that LA, CA and GA have agreed to help and change every bit of their story that they can but they will not agree to admitt to molestation. I think that ICA when LA didnt not go that far OR JB made agreement not to question them on it if they would agree to change their testimony. I think that they are in a pickle as far as the molestation... I simply think they wanted to do all possible just to try for a mistrial..maybe part of a plan to have her slowly loose it court at a later time??

Very odd.. but I do not think for one moment that it was done in "good faith":banghead:

I think the telling sign is that CM doesn't appear to be active today. Did not participate in the back room meetings or any sidebar. AF has suddenly appeared. I think that CM filed his last ditch effort in hopes to exit the case and has sinced possibly "checked out"? It will be interesting to see if CM participates in the rest of the day and case. I also think it might relate to the outburst on Friday. CM may have had enough of her little outbursts. She thinks that she is integral to the DT's case. :twocents:

This is the best explanation I have heard or read. I think you may be onto something here. :twocents:

Thanks, I just think "something" precipitated what happened on Saturday, and the only thing that stands out is her loss of control Friday.

I completely agree that ICA wants to testify and the DT tried to advise her not to. I think this was compounded by the fact that she was very upset about LA being upset- I think she wants to deny the allegations of abuse at least about LA when she takes the stand and the DT knows this would be suicide in the eyes of the jury, so they claimed she must be incompetent if she is willing to testify that the abuse allegations were a lie and it never happened.
She is happy today b/c she basically won- she can now testify and she is not crazy.
It will be interesting to be sure!

I think after LA refused to admit to the sexual abuse, KC had violent emortional reaction and became impossible to deal with - crying, yelling, screaming, anger, etc. JB just ignored it, but CM realized that she needed to be put in her place. So ... well, I'll request a competency hearing.

She sees that and immediately changes her behavior -- hence the smiles this morning.

She was decompensating and they stopped her.

I think she was furious that Jose didn't come right out and ask Lee about the abuse. She felt that Lee would lie for her...if Jose pushed hard enough. She had worked herself up into a lather...turned on the water works like she did during the opening statement.....and she felt like she did all that crying for nothing, Jose dropped the ball!

I think during that clip I watched a hundred times...the evil clenched teeth one...she is saying "call him back" meaning Lee

Oh my .... The look on ICA's face in this video surpasses anything I've ever seen from her. Someone on here posted a still pic of this yesterday, but watching the video now, around 1:20 - it appears that Casey was about to complain to CM (baring her teeth and violently pointing toward JB behind his back) about JB. When JB turned around, as someone pointed out, her demeanor went from snarling to flat (in 0 to 60) just an amazing transformation. That girl gets more and more scarey to me daily.

Someone on the DT asked that the actual motion be sealed. HHBP said "No, the motion can't be sealed at this time." I'd really like to read the motion; it would include the reasons they sought the evaluations. And I'd really like to read it since the DT wanted it sealed.

the motion is on this board somewhere, probably on the sidebar thread. i just read it. it's very short and simply states that in good faith the defense team has come to doubt whether their client is mentally well enough to assist in her own defense.

my theory is that she's insisting on testifying. they know she'd have to be crazy to do that.

I don't think she is bored, she is loving the Casey Anthony show.

I think this is her way of delaying the inevitable. Remember what she was heard saying to her mother on one of the first 911 calls: "Just give me one more day". Like then, she knows now that a trial is just going to delay things.

The defense case is winding down.....I can't see the whole RK thing working in any way to benefit ICA, only to besmirch the man thru hearsay from estranged relatives......the last "bombshell" left would be GA on the stand and if he denies the abuse, that leaves only ICA to testify to her DT's grand theory. I totally believe that she sees herself as the master manipulator and "BEST liar ever!!!!" and thinks she can convince the jury of her "truth". even against the advice of counsel...CM may finally see what a circus he has signed up for and that the clowns are now running the circus and the clown car is heading for his reputation. Demanded the competency exam to cover his own butt, so he can later say, "I told them not to let her take the stand, that she was nuts, but see..3 shrinks said she was okay, so I had no choice but to go along, have to let her testify if she demands it and is competent.....not my fault JA tore her up, I warned the DT and ICA!"

MOO :maddening:

Oh my .... The look on ICA's face in this video surpasses anything I've ever seen from her. Someone on here posted a still pic of this yesterday, but watching the video now, it appears that Casey was about to complain to CM (baring her teeth and violently pointing toward JB behind his back) about JB. When JB turned around, as someone pointed out, her demeanor went from snarling to flat (in 0 to 60) just an amazing transformation. That girl gets more and more scarey to me daily.

watched her rage explode on her face...makes ya wonder how many times poor little Caylee was subjected to that when Casey didn't have an audience to play to.

Looks like a Hail Mary Pass by CM to me. Speculation: Casey changed her story AGAIN (explaining JB's comment about the theory of defense being what he said in opening "among other things"), and Casey wanted to testify to her new lie. CM knew that would never work in front of the same jury who heard JB's idiotic opening, so he was hoping to get her declared incompetent for a while. By the time she was "restored" to competency, they would need a new jury, and CM could either tie JB to a chair and stuff a sock in his mouth and do the opening himself (consistent with Casey's new story) and/or convince Casey not to testify.

BBM

Thanks AZ! I knew it! That girl wanted to take the stand and tell a new tale. The competency issue threw me though. It was my understanding that it was "too late" for that to be brought up. I guess I misunderstood the difference between "insanity" and "competence."

Can I tell you a secret?

I think you are amazing and admire the heck out of you...

total "girl crush!" lol

Thank you for helping us understand these legal maneuvers!

They need to keep her away from that youngish lady with black hair and glasses that can't write and put her back with the middle aged lady who's more like a mother with the perm.

Oh my .... The look on ICA's face in this video surpasses anything I've ever seen from her. Someone on here posted a still pic of this yesterday, but watching the video now, around 1:20 - it appears that Casey was about to complain to CM (baring her teeth and violently pointing toward JB behind his back) about JB. When JB turned around, as someone pointed out, her demeanor went from snarling to flat (in 0 to 60) just an amazing transformation. That girl gets more and more scarey to me daily.

Yeah, I think CM getting the Competency eval was valid.. not a ploy at all.

I'm not a lawyer but ... It seems telling that Cheney Mason filed it, not Baez. After all, witnesses were at court & it seems Baez was ready to keep going. Could one of the WS lawyers give an opinion on this ?

I stick by my gut belief; Lee didn't come through & Mason is desperate to keep her off the stand against her wishes & Baez's also, ( because he KNOWS, just like the rest of us, what really happened).

I'm with you!

Geraldo R reported that JB stated that court would start as usual on Monday morning when he was questioned about what had transpired on Saturday.
How did JB know that court would commence as usual on Monday if none of the Mental Health experts had yet to examine ICA and submitted their reports?
Did JB know the motion to evaluate her competency was just a ploy for more time and she would be deemed competent? Seems odd to me.

I found another interesting article written by one of the weekend docs (Dr. Ryan C.W. Hall):

Hall RCW, Hall RCW: False Allegations: The Role of the Forensic Psychiatrist. Journal of Psychiatric Practice 7(5)343-346, September 2001. http://www.drryanhall.com/publications.htm

Morning! I'm sorry if this has been put out there already... I'm at work and pressed for time:

(article snipped but I've attached the link)

Psychologists: Jailhouse letters offer insight into Casey Anthony’s life behind barsBy Sarah Lundy, Orlando Sentinel
2:01 a.m. EDT, April 11, 2010

The letters Casey Anthony penned in jail show an immature woman who needs attention and adoration from others.

That's what three psychologists gleaned from reviewing dozens of Anthony's hand-written notes and letters to a fellow inmate at the Orange County Jail. The doctors agreed to read and give insight from the letters at the request of the Orlando Sentinel.

"She is spending most of her time in isolation with no audience. She has no outlet for the stuff that goes through her mind," said Dr. Daniel Tressler, a forensic psychologist based in Altamonte Springs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/os-casey-anthony-letters-analyzed-20100411,0,2547677.story

Maybe she started planning an RV trip for her and Baez.

THEORY:
Casey wants to testify. It's near the end (HOPEFULLY) of the defense presentation. She wants to get on the stand and garner the spotlight.

The DT does not want her to.

Therefore, as part of their strategy, they're "questioning her competence" on the record as a face-saving (client saving) tactic. She is happy that she's going to testify. When she's done testifying, the defense can say "see, we questioned her competence" to counter any points the prosecution scores. The timing of this can't be a coincidence.

But I have a question: Is the jury to be aware of this competency hearing?

I've watched and re-watched videos from Saturday morning and IMHO I don't think JB knew that CM as going to raise a competency issue. JB was blithley arguing the Dr. Furton stuff and then all of a sudden CM asks for the sidebar on another matter. It really looked like to me that JB didn't know it was coming. Pure speculation on my part that ICA said or did something that really alarmed CM specifically and his motion for competency was sincere. Maybe she is insisting on testifying to a whole new story, maybe related to Lee's testimony, but I honestly don't think it was just a stall tactic.

ETA: I also think JB was against it and CM pulled rank as lead attorney and it maybe the reason JB was texting Beth Karas that he is DP qualified.

i dunno, i still think CM doesn't like to work saturdays and was looking for a way to go home. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back