Who is Matthew Bartlett and why the middle finger sign?

how it is legal or allowed that the judge can jail this guy basically by having a quick trial within a trial? Could the guy have said I want legal counsel? I have my own? or pleaded the 5th?

Also, how could his actions have caused a mistrial? How can flipping the bird to a lawyer in court cause a mistrial?

The presiding judge in a courtroom has the legal authority to charge anyone with contempt involving the case, either directly or indirectly, involving an event in the courtroom, or outside if he or she has issued an order and a person violates it. There are both civil and criminal contempt charges.

If you are sincerely interested in understanding the legal reasons for his right to do this, you might consider putting this question on the VERIFIED LAWYERS thread here. You'll get an answer.

The bottom line is that it is entirely legal. When you enter a courtroom, you are bound to observe the rules laid out by the court for your behavior while there and any restrictions he or she has imposed. That's the law.

Of course it's legal, I am not doubting that. But my point is if mark geragos had flipped the bird, I bet he wouldn't be locked up right now. Or some rich person with access to a fancy lawyer. maybe I am wrong.
I don't recall Judge Perry asking the guy if he was rich or poor; he just followed the law. So I don't see how $$$ has anything to do with what happened today.

Do we really need 5000 threads about this dude? :waitasec:

LOL!!!! I don't think it was intended for anyone per se...more of look what I just did in the camera....kind of like when a naked person runs across a live major league baseball field nude...JMHO

Contempt of court is behavior that opposes or defies the authority, justice, and dignity of the court. Contempt charges may be brought against parties to proceedings; lawyers or other court officers or personnel; jurors; witnesses; or people who insert themselves in a case, such as protesters outside a courtroom. Courts have great leeway in making contempt charges...A direct contempt is an act that occurs in the presence of the court and is intended to embarrass or engender disrespect for the court. Shouting in the courtroom or refusing to answer questions for a judge or attorney under oath is a direct contempt. The essence of contempt of court is that the misconduct impairs the fair and efficient administration of justice. Contempt statutes generally require that the actions present a Clear and Present Danger that threatens the administration of justice. *snipped to remain w/in copyright compliance*

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Contempt+of+Court

I will ask some lawyers in my family. You guys are not understanding my question. I understand contempt of court, I understand it's legal. What I don't understand is how an american citizen can do something and be locked up within the hour and have the system throw a lawyer to you.... Shoot casey had freedom longer for killing a child.

LOL!!!! I don't think it was intended for anyone per se...more of look what I just did in the camera....kind of like when a naked person runs across a live major league baseball field nude...JMHO

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the replay of the video. He was looking right at the camera. It wasn't directed at JA, in my view. Still contempt, mind you.

Not saying what he did was right of course. I'm just wondering in regards to our rights a citizens? It happened awfully fast.

Let's say he was on the street and broke a law in front of a police officer,what would happen?
He would be arrested,cuffed,taken to jail and at some point have a bail hearing and get a lawyer.

I don't see this as much different. He gets a public defender and proceeds ,much the same way. If he lied about his record ,though, :behindbar

If you don't show up for jury duty you can be found in contempt of court and fined or jailed. They will send the Marshall out for you. (at least in my County)
I'm just wondering if this birdman will have to pay court costs for his appeal also?

I will ask some lawyers in my family. You guys are not understanding my question. I understand contempt of court, I understand it's legal. What I don't understand is how an american citizen can do something and be locked up within the hour and have the system throw a lawyer to you.... Shoot casey had freedom longer for killing a child.
Generally it starts with breaking the law. The best way to avoid being locked up is to obey the law.

I understand your question, I'm just apathetic to this guys "plight".

I could be wrong...but above...is a video of proof...there is your evidence...everyone knows he did it and they have evidence to prove he flipped the bird...with Casey..they needed to gather up the evidence first...dot the i's and cross the T's ...the works...charging someone for murder is big...so they need to make sure they get it right before wrongfully charging someone...it is our rights as US citizens...JMHO

He's a post-adolescent red-blooded American male who is a server at TGIFriday's. He knew the camera was on him, and he thought it would be cool to flash his friends who might be watching. I don't think it had anything to do with JA.

He could have been a "plant" to try and cause a mistrial but that is not as likely, though I wouldn't put it past Baez to try it.

BUT he SAID he was giving the finger to JA, he did not say he was just doing it for the camera........

BUT he SAID he was giving the finger to JA, he did not say he was just doing it for the camera........

Exactly. He confessed it was at JA. I just wish he had given a better reason when HHBP asked for it and he just kept saying it was stupid and he was sorry.

He got caught. There were pictures. Proof. He admitted to it. I am sure he was read his miranda rights when they handcuffed him (don't want to get into that mess again) and I am sure he spoke freely and willingly after being read his miranda rights. He was obviously detained. He could have asked for a lawyer immediately and he didn't. He is 28-years-old. He knows his rights and if he doesn't... he's a (unusual) person.

I wish he would have gotten a month in a cell with Miss Casey Anthony herself. Although I believe that would be a little on the side of cruel and unusual punishment.

I don't recall Judge Perry asking the guy if he was rich or poor; he just followed the law. So I don't see how $$$ has anything to do with what happened today.

JP had to ask the $$ questions to determine if he could be provided with a free court appointed lawyer, and not have to hire someone (ala Jose Baez). If they guy said he had 10K in his bank account, he wouldn't have appointed a lawyer (whomever that may be).

IMHO - Casey probably would have done better going that route if I do say so myself ;)

MOO

Mel

I have no room in my bleeding heart for people who break the law then whine about the injustice of it all.

I don't know but if I were Casey Anthony I'd be concerned, if he got that for the finger what do you get for 4 counts of lying to LE, child abuse, first degree murder?

I would compare today's "middle finger" incident to passenger behaviors in airports or onboard aircraft that are deemed suspicious. If you say or do anything that causes airport security officials, TSA agents, or airline personnel to question your behavior, they can and will have you removed from the aircraft or terminal.

JP had to ask the $$ questions to determine if he could be provided with a free court appointed lawyer, and not have to hire someone (ala Jose Baez). If they guy said he had 10K in his bank account, he wouldn't have appointed a lawyer (whomever that may be).

IMHO - Casey probably would have done better going that route if I do say so myself ;)

MOO

Mel
Yeah, but, IMO, and my point, is that HHJP would have still sentenced him to jail if the guy had been loaded with $$$.

Is this the same guy on the other thread, with the Palm Beach mug shots, and prior arrests, one for battery and burglary of an elderly person? Missed the actual "flippage", did HHJP cite him for contempt in open court?

It sure does look like him, same age, same name. I think it is. Yes, he was cited for contmept, 6 days jail time and fine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back