IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to get TG to post those details so I could update the map.

All I know about it is the basics:

3:38am - 10th & College Ave.
POI description.
Female bar manager - not Jakes.
LE indicate its a red herring.

I'm stuck on the mystery man at 3:38

Can anyone post a link to where/if LE disregards the mystery man...please?
The 3:38 witness seems so sure that this was LS being carried away.

I recall someone posting that LE had identified the mystery man as someone who lives in the area and that they knew who he was.(never saw a link)
I don't recall anyone posting that LE had determined that it was not LS in the 3:38 encounter with this man.

If this is a red herring then I would love to get past it... but I need some proof.

Has he? I know he retained Ron Chapman (who is also MB's attorney) for an unrelated case prior to this.

Was that a criminal case that is on the record? If so what was it for?

Yes you have.
I don't know the answer either.

The question always makes me think of something gruesome about one of the pics I took of the construction across the street from 5 North apts right outside JR's apartment.

I see the cut in the asphalt road and the gravel backfill, the new sewer pipe
and wonder...

Perhaps Old-Time-Local knows if that cut was there that day. IIRC he searched that area early on.
I don't recall seeing that photo, but some of us have considered the possibility of the construction playing a role in the disappearance. Looking at the picture and seeing just how close it is to 5 North gives me chills. And the deal is, you could never admit to having done something like that and expect to get away without serious charges. Even if you buried a body in the woods, you might stand a chance of explaining it away if it could be proven the death was an accident. But something so callous as what I imagine when I look at that photo? Never in a million years.

I've been asking that for weeks. No one has yet confirmed a search there, but they don't talk about searches. So a body would be pretty well decomposed by now if it hasn't been thoroughly searched.

It just seems like the body was disposed of very quickly and a body would not be that easy to disguise. Depositing it into a sewer opening would be a quick way to do it at that time of the night.

I'm stuck on the mystery man at 3:38

Can anyone post a link to where/if LE disregards the mystery man...please?
The 3:38 witness seems so sure that this was LS being carried away.

I recall someone posting that LE had identified the mystery man as someone who lives in the area and that they knew who he was.(never saw a link)
I don't recall anyone posting that LE had determined that it was not LS in the 3:38 encounter with this man.

If this is a red herring then I would love to get past it... but I need some proof.
Here you go, Tr. I have this almost memorized.

“What I’m here to tell you is that we have reviewed the video, not only the timeline that we have been using, ... and where Lauren does in fact appear ... she does appear in that video with someone that is already known to investigators. We have also reviewed it during the time period where it has been reported, essentially an hour later (at 3:38 a.m.), and we do not find any evidence that supports that information,” Qualters said.
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto

It continues at the link.

POI description.

Can you post details for Btown?

I don't recall seeing that photo, but some of us have considered the possibility of the construction playing a role in the disappearance. Looking at the picture and seeing just how close it is to 5 North gives me chills. And the deal is, you could never admit to having done something like that and expect to get away without serious charges. Even if you buried a body in the woods, you might stand a chance of explaining it away if it could be proven the death was an accident. But something so callous as what I imagine when I look at that photo? Never in a million years.

No, something like that couldn't be explained away, if she was put into a place like that.

I still wonder if an opening existed that she could have fallen into and then been covered by accident.

I just have a bad feeling she won't be found.

From the 6/10 news conference-
http://www.theindychannel.com/video/28197690/index.html

Q: "have you checked any dumpsters, landfills?"
Lt. Parker: "we have checked that with negative result, yes"

Q: "aside from the search warrant that was executed to get the surveillance video, have any other search warrants been executed?"
Lt. Parker: "yes, many search warrants have been executed"

I had high hopes for this case being solved quickly, at first...that hope is gone.
Just like I was certain that Holly Bobo would be found in that first week, and that Michelle Le's case would at the very least have resulted in charges for murder by now. I thought at the time "wow, here is an LEA on the ball" when they came out and called Michelle's case a homicide and named a POI. That was what-a month ago or more? And now I don't have confidence that they had a good reason to say she was dead at the time.

Although I feel pretty sure all three young women are dead...

I understand what you're saying. Maybe simply because he received that phone call from someone who is a top POI.

Actually, DR had an outstanding warrant for failure to appear for a previous misdemeanor. I had read somewhere that he got a lawyer later than the rest (by a week I think) and that this lawyer was mainly to work out the misdemeanor charge and bench warrant.

eta: sorry, I see someone else posted this info (I've been off all day and just catching up)

POI description.

This is an excerpt from the 6/22/2011 article at the following link:

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto

Qualters was addressing a blog post on TonyGatto.com. It says a female local bar manager reported seeing a mystery man throw an inebriated Spierer over his shoulder at 10th and College at 3:38 a.m.

While Qualters said he had not spoken to this witness, he acknowledged the witness had been interviewed by police: “We had spoken with someone.” He said investigators “do not have any video evidence that supports what had been reported by that particular witness.” Witness accounts can be off, he said.

“I can’t say that she didn’t see Lauren,” Qualters continued. “It does not appear that she saw Lauren at the time that was reported by other sources.”

Not sure if this is the latest official words from LE on the mystery man.
I'm going to speculate that the "other reported source" is JR?

If correct then the obvious (and only) contradiction here is between the 3:38 witness sighting of LS and JR's reported time of departure for LS from the 5 North building.

I can understand why Smallwood would want LE to execute a warrant before handing over surveillance video (its an apartment building where most of the residences are going to be unconnected) - arguably police should have known this and gone to a judge for a warrant as soon as they thought the tapes would be useful (along with requesting Smallwood to voluntarily release the tapes, etc.). It seems that LE made a request to see the tapes, Smallwood told LE to kick mud, LE went to judge for search approval on Tuesday, raced over to Smallwood and executed it with force.

I wonder if LE's warrant requests were well received and handled quickly by the judge?

Did anyone else see this section in the most recent Lohud article?

Wolff and Spierer, 20, were supposed to get together that morning, but she left her cellphone at Kilroy's Sports Bar shortly before 2:30 a.m.

"They were planning on hanging out when she got back (from the bar)," said Spierer's apartment mate, Hadar Tamir.

She said the couple "constantly talk all day," but she was uncertain when they had last spoken or exchanged text messages.

"They did have contact before then (2:30 a.m.)... but, because she left her phone at the bar, neither of them could text each other to meet up once she left," Tamir said.

Wolff just went to sleep when he couldn't reach Spierer, she said.

Is that new news? I can't recall seeing anything saying they were planning on hanging out after she got back.

I don't believe the last sighting of her was leaving and walking down
college from 11th street at around 430am that morning. She had been arrested last year for public intoxication. She would walk the alley and side streets to avoid a possible encounter with LE. And did-not want to take a chance on getting arrested again on public intoxication.

After leaving the bar and going back to small-wood.
She did-not stay long because she realized she did-not have her keys.
So she left. It was stated she entered the building but never entered her apartment. Those keys were in someones pocket. Because they were found dis-guarded close to wear she was last seen on the video.

I believe the last image on the video.
When she was walking south in the alley.
and at one point started to walk towards the little field there. Away from the alley.
Is when the disappearance occurred.

Is that new news? I can't recall seeing anything saying they were planning on hanging out after she got back.

June 12, Lohud:

Tamir said she's not certain what Spierer's boyfriend, Jesse Wolff, was doing early June 3.

"From what he told me, he was watching the basketball game at his house and was then supposed to come over to hang out with Lauren," Tamir said.

But Spierer left her phone at the bar.

"She could no longer get in contact with (Wolff), so he never came out," Tamir said. "He ended up just sleeping at his house."

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011106120429

It is not new news. I remember reading that from the beginning. It's one of the reasons I think it would be hard for the police to discount the boyfriend. It could put more fuel on any jealous rage theories. Of course, it could also be argued to help explain why he would be overly concerned as soon as he was that next day to the point of calling the parents and worrying them. Remember this was just in the afternoon when most of us would think it's likely she'd just partied too much and was still in bed at a friend's, just waking up, had been home and left, or else had hooked up with a new 'friend'.

So you could argue it either way.

I've always wondered why the boyfriend, while IMHO probably quick to judge her missing in the first place, was also able to determine that afternoon that she hadn't been home and left already. He already knew she'd left her phone in the bar so it isn't like not reaching her via her cellphone should still be raising the concern it could otherwise raise. He knows why she's not answering her cellphone and he also knows it was left behind in a bar, not found on the street somewhere. A cellphone being left/lost in a bar is a regular occurrence in the 21st century... not a sign of nefarious activity.

IIRC the story is the roommate says she told JW she didn't know if LS had returned to the apartment that night or not (while she slept).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal