2011.07.06 Sidebar Thread (Post-Verdict)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TY so much!!! I will go and do some reading on it. TY, TY!

That's stacey barker, the mother of little Emma. Her trial ended right as casey's started and what her jury had to say caused me some moments of real doubt about this case.

In that case, they found the body quickly and determined cause of death - suffocation. stacey testified and did not come off well. Her parents testified and came off as lying, at least her dad did. She admitted to the death the same day Emma was murdered, but she did not admit to murder. She could not hold out as long as casey. Remember, she initally claimed it was a kidnapping too.

She got 20 years to life.

What bothered me was that the jury, later on, said they grappled with premeditation for a long time. And they had a fresh body and a cause of death and an unsympathetic defendant.

That got me worried about this case and I voiced my concerns but then quickly squelched them. Guess I shouldn't have.

Sad that now so many more murdering parents may not confess either after watching KC get off so easy.

Omg....
So instead of going over the evidence and asking questions they set in there discussing how much money they could get for interviews. I could just see this. Disgusting........I don't want to hear anything they have to say, they said it all yesterday with that verdict. I hope they all go to he77....

I can't get to that site it is blocked...does it really say that?...anything else?

It was a bad day for our justice system for sure. There needs to be laws that jury members cannot profit from their civil duty. The A's should not be able to profit from the death of Caylee. This is not the message I want put out for future crimes and trials, this can't be accepted.

I am inclined to blame the judge,HHJP, for this verdict. This mis-carriage
of justice started when he rammed through a jury, without out proper
voir dire. voir dire is an art form, they did not question these jurors
enough and hence they sat a group of people whose collective IQ was
55. Then the judge proceed to push all of the people in this process to the point that the prosection had no time to reflect on the on-going trial.
Prosection needed to re-group right after hb gave his opening, it became a different case at that point.

I voted hung jury because the prosecution seemed to put on half of a case.

lastly, i did not read every last deposition, posted. but i did know more than what was presented, when hb finished his
closing arguments, i was confused. the jurors heads must have been swimming. they never deliberated.

commence tomatoes.

Just heard that a distant relative of Cindy's in TX is opening their home to KC...yuck!!

IF she's smart, ICA will prepare her own food and drink from now on... just sayin.'

I can't get to that site it is blocked...does it really say that?...anything else?

Those are my words. The juror is saying he will sell his story to the highest bidder. Offers in the 5 figure's right now. This just disgusts me......

I am inclined to blame the judge,HHJP, for this verdict. This mis-carriage
of justice started when he rammed through a jury, without out proper
voir dire. voir dire is an art form, they did not question these jurors
enough and hence they sat a group of people whose collective IQ was
55. Then the judge proceed to push all of the people in this process to the point that the prosection had no time to reflect on the on-going trial.
Prosection needed to re-group right after hb gave his opening, it became a different case at that point.

I voted hung jury because the prosecution seemed to put on half of a case.

lastly, i did not read every last deposition, posted. but i did know more than what was presented, when hb finished his
closing arguments, i was confused. the jurors heads must have been swimming. they never deliberated.

commence tomatoes.

You know during jury selection, it was the defense who wanted more time, thought the selection process was too short and not enough people were being seen, and most people were complaining about Baez, as usual blaming him. I agree that the judge was far too worried about deadlines and the avoidance of a mistrial in this case...he seemed to be focused on budgets, calendars and future imaginary appeals. Just think, if only he had granted one of Jose' many requests for a mistrial...

Do y'all think there could have been a guilty verdict if it wasn't a death penalty case?

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2011/07/06/whats-behind-casey-anthony-jury-decision

SAINDON: No, you’re absolutely right. There wasn't DNA evidence. There wasn't solid forensic evidence. This was all circumstantial, and that's the problem. And the second thing that I think is the problem for the jury is this was such an overzealous prosecution by first degree, by going for the death penalty and not something lower as the high mark. The entire time the jury is thinking in their mind, not only do we have to go beyond a reasonable doubt. But when we do, she might die. So, that's in their mind. They've been prequalified as jurors; can you convict someone and sentence them to death? There was a two-fold prong to pass to be on this jury. So, I think that there's not solid evidence, there's not direct evidence linking her. And they’re looking for an out and they're doing their job.

Do y'all think there could have been a guilty verdict if it wasn't a death penalty case?

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2011/07/06/whats-behind-casey-anthony-jury-decision

SAINDON: No, you’re absolutely right. There wasn't DNA evidence. There wasn't solid forensic evidence. This was all circumstantial, and that's the problem. And the second thing that I think is the problem for the jury is this was such an overzealous prosecution by first degree, by going for the death penalty and not something lower as the high mark. The entire time the jury is thinking in their mind, not only do we have to go beyond a reasonable doubt. But when we do, she might die. So, that's in their mind. They've been prequalified as jurors; can you convict someone and sentence them to death? There was a two-fold prong to pass to be on this jury. So, I think that there's not solid evidence, there's not direct evidence linking her. And they’re looking for an out and they're doing their job.

No, I think the verdict would have been the same. The jury wanted to acquit and find reasonable doubt. Wouldn't have mattered. They had other lesser charges.

I haven't had to deal with anyone that thought she would get off, but my family does think I became a tad obsessed with the case. :innocent:
My husband called yesterday to ask me if he was hearing the verdict right and my daughter called this morning to see what I thought.
I told them both the same thing ;"I just can't talk about it right now".

My world has been shook up and put back crooked. :earth:
Me too Miss James. I feel like I can't trust my own judgment, and sense of right and wrong. I can't trust my faith that "everyman" has common sense. I can not trust that "good will win out over evil." I can not trust that our system of justice works. Feels like walking on quicksand.

I said earlier that now I want to see it. I want it to be plastered all over the place. Of course those jurors will say it doesn't prove anything, which it probably doesn't. I just want it out there!!!!!

:gavel:

Me too! and every time it's played they include the voice of JS and what he had to say about why he sealed it.

Those are my words. The juror is saying he will sell his story to the highest bidder. Offers in the 5 figure's right now. This just disgusts me......

The bad karma being acquired in this case is huge. Not only from Casey, but her family, the defense team, the jurors. It's endless - all of these people are involved for a reason, I don't believe in coincidence. Everyone is showing their true colors now. There will be a time for them all to pay.

I like Hannity's point here. I am heartsick over the verdict, but not angry at the jury for their verdict. (I am a bit angry at them for not taking more time in their deliberations.)

HANNITY: And everybody in Orlando has a right to be mad tonight for this reason. Not because of the jury, they shouldn't be mad at the jury. I think people have every right to be mad at Casey Anthony for her behavior, as it relates to the lies, and as it relates to her not reporting it, and as it relates to her dancing at a time when any reasonable person. Look, maybe she's got problems beyond which we know. But this is what separates America. And the people that are commenting on this, with almost a football super bowl atmosphere about her guilt, didn't listen for the evidence. And that's what makes our system better, unique, not perfect, but special. You're innocent until proven guilty. It is the prosecutor's responsibility and sole responsibility to make that proof and they did not meet that standard here.

OT: Hope it is okay to ask this here! Whatever happened to the other young mom, who also lived at home with her parents and brother and whose baby died and she claimed it choked on a plastic bag? I don't remember much about the case, only that I haven't heard about it in a long, long time. She dumped the baby (I think?) or was at least found in a bad part of town. She also had a support system with her parents and brother watching her baby while she worked. Seemed the case was similar in many ways to Casey's. Anyone know?? Sorry for the OT but it's driving me crazy trying to remember!

Stacey Barker found GUILTY of First Degree Murder (and all child abuse charges) sentenced to 25 years to LIFE (plus 16 years), the jury deliberated almost the same amount of time and they really came through for Baby Emma Leigh.

See LINK in my siggy for all the info. These cases were more alike than we knew...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000