Casey and Family Psych Profile #11

Bold is mine-

Kat.. I don't know, I really don't know.. but I think she should be given the opportunity. It's a sad world when people who have never had their brain effected by mental illness and/or personality disorders and therefore have no clue what really causes the underlying behaviors are deciding that people are untreatable. I remember my high school principle telling me I was gonna end up in one of two places, prison or dead. Yet here I am typing to ya'll. I think if she can admit she's got issues and wants to change, with the right people working with her, staying away from her "family" and being willing to work hard every day for the rest of her life to stay well- she could have a chance. People can change- even people who have done bad things. But remember, I don't think she is a Psychopath/Sociopath.

Individuals with personality disorders are not good candidates for therapy. That was my point.

I have never had my brain effected by mental illness but I do know what I'm talking about. That's why psychologists go through years of school, internships, research, board exams, and so forth. You don't have to experience mental illness to understand causes and effects.

Doesn't sound like a lot of animals to me either.

No not a lot of pets at all, especially for "pet people." However, the two cocker spaniels (mother and pup) dying so close together gives me pause . . .

It's not outside the realm of possibilities that KC did away with them for perhaps barking when she might have been trying to sneak in past curfew or some other similar circumstances. Just some thoughts of mine.

But we'll never know.

Individuals with personality disorders are not good candidates for therapy. That was my point.

I have never had my brain effected by mental illness but I do know what I'm talking about. That's why psychologists go through years of school, internships, research, board exams, and so forth. You don't have to experience mental illness to understand causes and effects.

I respect and appreciate your opinion. :blowkiss:

No not a lot of pets at all, especially for "pet people." However, the two cocker spaniels (mother and pup) dying so close together gives me pause . . .

It's not outside the realm of possibilities that KC did away with them for perhaps barking when she might have been trying to sneak in past curfew or some other similar circumstances. Just some thoughts of mine.

But we'll never know.

I hear ya and it could very well be!

One thing I've noticed is something said about both George and Casey. I don't have much opinion on it, except that it could explain why George got taken in by RC, and maybe show that Casey mimics other people's behaviors.
Tracey, from the bounty hunter team said that during the time she stayed with Casey she was the nicest, happiest person she had ever met. Then, a lady who worked with George at the search center said that he is the nicest guy she has ever met in her life. It's pretty rare to run across a person in that sort of situation and they're the nicest person ever met in an entire life, and two different people are saying this about two different people involved in this mess.

I agree that individuals with personality disorders are not the greatest candidates for therapy...many therapists hate dealing with them...also it takes so much repetition and energy to get the smallest of results. Our daughter is BPD..it took 10 years 63 Baker Acts, several 5150's in GA and long term residential tx just to get her to stop the violence. She still has and prob will always have issues interacting socially. She is gainfully employed..but usually cannot keep the same job, friends or residence past six months. Our family was almost destroyed through her illness...but we made it. We have HUGE boundaries and even as an adult she is rarely in our home because of the chaos and she refuses medication. I pray she does not have children because then I will have to guard them from her and may have to raise them. I believe that FCA is a sociopath and CA is possibly a BPD person. JMO

There are also many levels of functionality within PDs. Some higher and some lower. This would also affect their ability to effectively seek out and do any therapy. IMO the reason PDs are so resitant and difficult to treat is because they don't think there is anything wrong with them so they don't go to therapy. How can you treat someone for something when they don't want treatment or don't think they need it..it is virtually impossible.

My own mother is a Borderline with narcissistic traits and I can tell you first hand she nearly destoyed our family and still continues on till this day, never once did she seek out or want therapy. In fact, we forced her into treatment several times and she left the minute she was able too, it was a total waste of time. I would be very surprised if Casey ever does any meaningful therapy. My guess is she will continue on and there will be lots more wreckage in her wake.....Look at the damage done already in such a short time and she is only 25 can you imagine what the future holds.

The other night Nancy Grace had on Dr. William Weitz, clinical psychologist, who examined Casey for the defense back in 2009. After an extensive evaluation, he concluded that Casey does not have a psychotic/thought disorder, mood disorder or a personality disorder that met the formal criteria. He dismissed the television pundits who have called her a sociopath or psychopath. (Posters on another thread were thinking that Baez must have given this guy permission to report his findings, otherwise he would have breached confidentiality. That sounds about right.)

I'm kind of glad he spoke publicly. Sometimes psychiatric labels seem to minimize a person's responsibility for their choices and their behavior. It seems to me that Casey can be described as extremely self-centered, lacking in moral character, and with a strong penchant toward evil behavior. And these are all deliberate ways of being. A shame she won't be in prison.

What criteria below for a sociopath does she not have? No one should be intimidated by his credentials. The criteria is right here, and one would not spot these things by asking her questions. Conduct is the only way to tell.

In 1941, American physician Harvey Cleckley wrote a groundbreaking book in forensic science entitled The Mask of Sanity. Before that time, psychopathy had been loosely defined as insanity without delirium (psychotic features such as delusions and hallucinations), psychopathic inferiority, and moral insanity. Cleckley was the first to study this personality syndrome from a more scientific perspective. He generated a list of sixteen traits that clustered together to create an identifiable character sketch (a set of traits, behaviors and attitudes that define a particular way of moving in the world) of the sociopathic personality. The central characteristics in this cluster were: lack of empathy or anxiety, shallowness, self-centeredness, irresponsibility, and manipulativeness. These individuals, Cleckley found, were far more likely to commit crimes, to be more violent, to recidivate (to repeat their criminal behaviors), and less likely to respond to treatment efforts than were other criminal populations. He found the psychiatric community uniformly unwilling to work with this population or to address them in any way, and speculated that this might be due to the fact that they (psychopaths) often afford no outward signs of their pathology. Infact, a person with a psychopathic personality can be quite charismatic during early interactions. It was Cleckley's contention that it is difficult to fully appreciate the deviancy of the psychopath under treatment or confinement (prison or jail) circumstances; they need to be seen in their social environment, where they often operate as abusers, manipulators, scammers, or con artists.

In 1952, the term psychopath was replaced in the psychiatric literature by sociopathic personality. These terms became synonymous, as the concept of personality disorders evolved. With the advent of DSM-II (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Second Edition), the uniformly accepted manual of psychodiagnosis) in 1968, the term personality disorder, antisocial type replaced sociopathic personality. In contemporary forensic psychiatric, psychological, and sociological literature, the terms psychopath, sociopath, criminal personality and ASPD/APD (antisocial personality disorder) are used commonly to describe the affected criminal population.

Antisocial personality disorder, common among convicted felons, is chiefly characterized by flagrant disregard for the rights of others, a refusal to conform to the rules and norms of society, and an inability to experience feelings of either anxiety or guilt. Other clinical symptoms are predatory behaviors, manipulativeness and deceitfulness, inability to plan for the future or to envision the potential consequences of their behaviors, consistent irresponsibility, irritability and aggressiveness, callous disregard for the safety and well-being of others, and an inability to experience feelings of guilt or remorse after doing material, emotional, or physical harm to others.

The central characteristics of the psychopath are described in somewhat more emotional or affective terms. They are highly self-centered, impulsive, irresponsible, manipulative, and remorseless; they do not experience guilt or regret. They tend to be pathological liars and they persistently violate social norms and rules. Their crimes tend to be described as "cold-blooded," as they are committed without obvious motivation (except to satisfy their own material needs, by robbery, for example). Psychopaths commonly exert power and control over others, and they do so through the use of superficial charm, manipulation, intimidation, and violence. They tend not to outgrow their behavior, do not benefit from treatment, and do not rehabilitate during periods of incarceration.

Sociopaths are typically described as conscience-less. They are extremely shallow, selfish, self-centered, boastful, antagonistic, and unable to bond with others or to form lasting romantic relationships. They also tend to be extreme risk-takers who are unable to refuse temptation of any sort. Sociopaths view other people as vehicles for their own gain, and they fail to recognize their own negative characteristics. Sociopaths are generally adept at rationalizing their behavior and asserting (and believing) that they are victims of the ill will of others, and that they are good people put in bad circumstances. Sociopaths often report difficult childhoods: single parent homes, extreme poverty, neighborhood or family violence, lack of parental supervision, early separation from family, or rearing in foster homes, state-run group homes, or institution-like settings.

There is no effective treatment for these personality disorders: incarceration is merely palliative. That is, an individual with sociopathy, psychopathy or ASPD may either not exhibit the offending behaviors while incarcerated, or may use them adaptively in order to function well in the prison setting, but will immediately (and admittedly) return to utilizing them upon release from prison.

http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/sociopathic-personality

What criteria below for a sociopath does she not have? No one should be intimidated by his credentials. The criteria is right here, and one would not spot these things by asking her questions. Conduct is the only way to tell.

http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/sociopathic-personality

In the system used by psychologists, she must meet certain specific criteria listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual in order to make the diagnosis. There is not currently a personality disorder diagnosis known as "sociopath". At this point, that niche has been filled with "antisocial personality disorder". The DSM criteria for the disorder can be found on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder#DSM). Although Casey does display many of the behaviors listed, one obvious deficit is that, as far as we know, there is no evidence she had Conduct Disorder before the age of 15.

Also on Wikipedia (right below the criteria), there is an overview of arguments about whether it is accurate to replace sociopathy/psychopathy with antisocial personality disorder.

Diagnosis is an ever-evolving science, and the situation is that right now her particular set of issues is not properly covered by any one of the currently agreed-upon diagnostic categories.

JMO

This thread is fascinating to me and you guys are awesome! One of the first times I truly realized that "something" is wrong with Casey is in one of the jail videos. Her parents were visiting and spoke of getting a flat tire after getting off the expressway??? AND CASEY..... said, "guess what? That happened to meeeeeee!" It was so weird and child like and supposedly her daughter had been kidnapped. I thought maybe she snapped in jail or something. This keeps playing in my mind and I shake my head in wonderment.

One thing I've noticed is something said about both George and Casey. I don't have much opinion on it, except that it could explain why George got taken in by RC, and maybe show that Casey mimics other people's behaviors.
Tracey, from the bounty hunter team said that during the time she stayed with Casey she was the nicest, happiest person she had ever met. Then, a lady who worked with George at the search center said that he is the nicest guy she has ever met in her life. It's pretty rare to run across a person in that sort of situation and they're the nicest person ever met in an entire life, and two different people are saying this about two different people involved in this mess.

That is so weird coming on the heels of me running into an old friend and in catching up said she worked at Geneva with CA who was the nicest person ever to her and all their colleagues.

I am never going to believe this 1/2 credit or 1 credit story. This is typical Anthony "minimizing". I would have to see her high school transcripts to believe that it was only a 1/2 or 1 credit that kept her from graduating. I'm sure Cindy bought that story, but I sure don't. My bet is that KC started skipping school when she noticed that no one would notice. It's more likely that she flunked many classes and lacked several credits. The entire high school situation (having a graduation party despite not graduating) is a very interesting precursor to getting pregnant and "ignoring it" until it was too late.

My armchair analysis in simple: 1. Casey felt neglected growing up 2. Casey didn't want to keep Caylee 3. Casey resented how Caylee got much more attention and love than she felt she did while growing up. 4. Casey in constant "death spiral" of love/hate with Cindy. 5. Casey didn't respect George, and had "issues" with him.

I hope we learn more about her early years too. I doubt we'd learn anything of any value in Cindy's book!

Well, here's my true story. My son graduated from high school, cap and gown, did the walk, was handed his diploma by the superintendent, lots of family pride and some relatives from out of state there. He went out with his other graduating friends to celebrate. I was happy AND wistful as he was my youngest and last to graduate.

Several MONTHS later, lounging at the lake with his girlfriend while my son was elsewhere, she said " you DO know he didn't really graduate, don't you?". I thought she was joking. Then I thought I was in the twilight zone. Turns out the school had allowed him to drop a half credit class late in his last semester, without notifying me. He failed to mention it. !!! The school said he could " walk" with everyone else at graduation and they put his REAL diploma in the school vault and told him all he had to do was make up his half credit and they would give him his diploma as though it never happened. He was able to keep me from knowing because all appearances were as though he really graduated.

Yes, I was mad as hell, and really had absolutely no idea until months later. My son had been 95th percentile and above all his life on the national exams and in the gifted/talented and honors programs since early elementary school. This was his " walk on the wild side" and I just did not see it coming. I still believe it was wrong of the school to not inform the parents of this situation.

So I know it CAN happen. Just not sure it did in Casey's case because you cannot believe anything those people say. That family is such an enigma.

BBM. Being as that I have one, and therapy has helped me tremendously, I must disagree with you.

I do wonder if addressing her female problems would have made any difference, I think it might have helped at least some. With Cindy being a nurse you would think it might have dawned on her.

BBM. Being as that I have one, and therapy has helped me tremendously, I must disagree with you.

:hug: There is always hope.. always! The treatment of personality disorders has come a long way in recent years. http://www.apa.org/monitor/mar04/treatment.aspx

When a professional has already given up on a patient/client before they even walk through the door.. when they believe that there is no helping this person.. of course the client won't get well.

Someone beat me to it, Casey does not appear to have had evidence of "Conduct Disorder" as a youngster, which would rule out a "formal" diagnosis of ASPD (sociopathy).

But it's about the only criteria she doesn't have lol!

The DSM is being revamped again, and the diagnostic range of personality disorders is being collapsed into fewer diagnoses. For instance, Narcissistic PD will be tossed out as anything but a "descriptor". I personally like the new "way" of using diagnostic criteria because it is more streamlined and doesn't leave people with obvious personality disorders floating around out there without a formal diagnosis.

Which, if they do seek treatment, would be necessary to streamline their treatment.

Many people with complex PTSD are misdiagnosed with a personality disorder (especially Borderline Personality Disorder). When the symptoms of complex PTSD are treated, the BPD symptoms are often quickly resolved with therapy and medication to stabilize the mood. A "true" BPD person is also amenable to therapy, in fact, to my (again, limited) professional knowledge, they tend to be the only Cluster B disorder to respond well to specialized therapy.

So I've read (over the years, I don't have a link or reference) BPD folks are the most psychologically organized and sophisticated of the Cluster B's, and often have plenty of empathy and insight.

We didn't see sociopathic or narcissistic PD's in the psych unit. Nope, the nurses who deal with them are the prison nurses.

The crucial necessity for a person to recover from a PD is a recognition that something is WRONG with them. "Normies" generally have no problem going and getting themselves a work up for depression or anxiety. People with PDs (especially sociopathy and narcissism) lack insight and connection to others to such a degree that it never occurs to them there is something wrong with THEM (everybody ELSE is crazy).

Without that willingness to admit there is something wrong, there is NO hope for healing. All the therapy in the world, at the most distinctive treatment centers, will only make Casey Anthony a BETTER sociopath unless she can admit there is something wrong with her.

If Casey Anthony were to ask for help, I'd fall over backward, but then I'd be glad to help her, myself. Don't have any idea what I'd do to help her, but I'd have at least a smidgen of hope for her.

I do wonder if addressing her female problems would have made any difference, I think it might have helped at least some. With Cindy being a nurse you would think it might have dawned on her.

IMO All she had to do was simply stop enabling her.. years ago.

I had a moment of sympathy for Casey today after hearing the interview with the man that evaluated her mental health. On the upside, she does not suffer from mental illness. On the down side, I think she might actually be delusional about how she will be received after release. He said that although she has been somewhat prepared and told about the public reaction to the verdict, she doesn't fully appreciate the situation. I'm half wondering if she isn't expecting to emerge from the jail as a celebrity. Although we're hearing that she's rejecting her family, they are her only true friends at this time. Everyone else she interacts with will be looking to cash in, and I suspect others will be like the "new friends" Joran van der Sloot made after Natalee's disappearance: intent on betrayal. I think part of the reason that defense wants to whisk her away is to protect her long enough for her to grasp the public reaction to the verdict, in a way ... to protect her from having a public meltdown when she learns that she is a pariah. I thought she showed quite a temper towards her lawyers at times in court and we've all seen her temper towards her family, but none of them want her showing that ill temper to the public.

In the system used by psychologists, she must meet certain specific criteria listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual in order to make the diagnosis. There is not currently a personality disorder diagnosis known as "sociopath". At this point, that niche has been filled with "antisocial personality disorder". The DSM criteria for the disorder can be found on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder#DSM). Although Casey does display many of the behaviors listed, one obvious deficit is that, as far as we know, there is no evidence she had Conduct Disorder before the age of 15.

Also on Wikipedia (right below the criteria), there is an overview of arguments about whether it is accurate to replace sociopathy/psychopathy with antisocial personality disorder.

Diagnosis is an ever-evolving science, and the situation is that right now her particular set of issues is not properly covered by any one of the currently agreed-upon diagnostic categories.

JMO

I agree with you re: criteria but we dont actually know if ICA displayed the criteria of conduct disorder either. CA covered up for her very well. there were incidences of stealing going way back, it seems, as well as her lying, it did not spring up out of the blue when caylee "went missing"...and I also think the pets thing was a little....high in number. we dont know what else ICA may have done to qualify.

although with APD criteria being what it is, IMO it's still slightly disingenuous to say with no conduct disorder, ICA is just a normal lil thing.

I agree with you re: criteria but we dont actually know if ICA displayed the criteria of conduct disorder either. CA covered up for her very well. there were incidences of stealing going way back, it seems, as well as her lying, it did not spring up out of the blue when caylee "went missing"...and I also think the pets thing was a little....high in number. we dont know what else ICA may have done to qualify.

although with APD criteria being what it is, IMO it's still slightly disingenuous to say with no conduct disorder, ICA is just a normal lil thing.

I don't think anyone here is saying they think Casey is a "normal lil thing".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502
Back