A Stolen Life - Jaycee's New Book

Please keep us posted when you finish the book. I would really like to know what you thought of it. Thanks !!

Thank you, Willenfan!

I just checked Amazon.com and see that they have it!

The e-book for Kindle is priced at $11.99, which seems reasonable enough, but with my current finances, I've decided I'd better wait until my payday next week.

I can't wait to read it- I'll look for this thread again, as soon as I do!

I bought the book this morning. The beginning is graphic and disturbing. What a pig he is. It's awful what he made her do. There a few things I took from the book. I scanned some of it. First, Jaycee kind of bashes Carl. She obviously did not like him and writes numerous little stories about him. She even said that she was worried when she was rescued that her mom was still with him. This must be hard for Shayna to read. It is Shayna's dad. Jaycee says something to the affect that it has been difficult to get to know Shayna but says at the end that she loves her. Jaycee also didn't seem to like Carl's mom. I think this explains why Terry and Carl are now divorced after all these years.

Jaycee was able to keep some baby pictures of the girls and they are in the book. It seems that Gabriella was Starlet's middle name. Well, that's how I read it.

I did kind of wonder why Shayna wasn't in the Sawyer interview. It's hard to figure out exactly what their relationship is. I'd be interested in someone else's take on this and on Carl. Jaycee says she doesn't hate Phillip but in a weird way she seems to kind of be more mad at Carl. This is not a critism just a thought. Like I said, I'd be interested in someone else's view of this.

I'm trying to remember if anything else stuck out. Jaycee is amazing to survive this horror with her humanity intact. Nancy was just as evil and never deserved any compassion like her lawyer said.

NYGirl I noticed that about Carl too!! It sounds to me like he was HORRIBLE to her and no wonder the mother doesn't want him around or denied him seeing her. I also can get why he was a suspect at one point after what she has wrote about. And as NY Girl said the beginning IS graphic and disturbing.

Wow! Thanks for the info on Carl! I was wondering what was going on there. I figured it had to be something. I haven't gotten the book yet but I am really curious as to what he did that was so awful or perceived to be awful. And if Shayna and Jaycee haven't completely bonded then I wonder how this affects Terry. I mean they are both her daughters but with Jaycee back after not seeing her for over 18 years the whole dynamic of the family has got to be stressful in a lot of ways.
I was shocked at how well composed and thoughtful Jaycee was. She really came off unbelievably well. I mean almost shockingly stoic, smart and "together".

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jac...r-a-stolen-life-shoots-to-no-1-on-amazon.html

Jaycee Dugard's memoir 'A Stolen Life' shoots to No. 1 on Amazon

After a primetime interview with Diane Sawyer Sunday night, Jaycee Dugard's memoir "A Stolen Life" shot to the No. 1 bestseller spot on Amazon. Dugard, who spent an astonishing 18 years in captivity after being kidnapped by convicted sex offender Phillip Garrido, came across as centered and thoughtful during the interview.

Her strong presence during the ABC interview may have been what compelled readers to pre-order her book. "A Stolen Life: A Memoir," which officially goes on sale Tuesday, has only spent nine days out of the last 100 in Amazon's top 100, where it is now a step above George R.R. Martin's much-anticipated "A Dance with Dragons."

I am gonna buy it also.

I "pre-ordered" today from Barnes & Noble. They ordered 75 copies, it won't be in until Thurs...

I got the book on my iPhone yesterday, and just finished it...

Jaycee is an amazing vision of courage and strength.

There were parts that were tough to read, but so worth it. It's in her words and does reflect that very much so when reading.

I really thought there would be more support for her here and I am saddened that many more haven't commented on this.

This is the ending we pray an wish for everyday here.

I hope her new found life brings her all the joy and happiness it has to offer.

She is my hero

I bought a copy yesterday, and I finished it already. It's an inspirational book by an amazing person. Even after all she's been through, she seems remarkably kindhearted and caring.

I didn't realize it was coming out until last night around 10pm, and within minutes I had it downloaded on my Kindle, and started reading and did not stop reading until I'd read every word.

I found it to be an excellent portrayal of Jaycee's ordeal, survival, and start on the path towards her future. I felt like Jaycee was telling the story directly to me, and I admittedly spoke words of comfort to her during some of the rougher parts of the book. It was well-done and events were described in only as much detail as necessary--I feel like Jaycee was really able to tell her story and maintain the dignity and control she deserves.

Really inspirational and beautiful book. Jaycee amazes me with her strength and resilience.

I just read this headline, and it brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could afford to buy her book, but my social security does not afford me such a luxury. I watched the special with Diane Sawyer the other night and was just so impressed with this young lady--such grace she exudes after having endured such atrocities. God bless Jaycee, her daughters, and her extended family.

Look at this:

Jaycee Dugard book sells 175,000 copies on first day
‘Stolen Life’ sets a new record for one-day ebook sales for Simon & Schuster

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43748577/ns/today-books/

I finished the book in 2.25 hours. I am glad for the resilience of her spirit, but am still very worried about her, the girls, and potential other victims out there. Her lack of anger at Garrido makes me wonder whether that is still yet to surface. I pray she will stay in therapy even if she feels fine.

This is her story in her own words, but was not allowed to know everything that was to know, particularly the years in which she was locked up....and I'm concerned about what happened when the girls were staying in the main house while she was sleeping in a tent in the yard.

I just read this headline, and it brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could afford to buy her book, but my social security does not afford me such a luxury. I watched the special with Diane Sawyer the other night and was just so impressed with this young lady--such grace she exudes after having endured such atrocities. God bless Jaycee, her daughters, and her extended family.

I bought it yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive. I watched her interview and thought she is so amazing!

I am on SS also but my hubby is on unemployment so I bought it. I never get to buy things either. I was thinking it would be so nice if we at websleuth could share the book copies with each other. I am a slow reader and want my 2 daughters to read it. But after my family is done I would share my copy with other members here (even sign inside and send to next WS member....maybe if everyone wrote what they felt about after reading and send to next WS member and then when done send to Jaycee to show how we all felt?? Just an idea I am thinking out loud LOL

Darn it, it looks like the Kindle edition isn't "sharable," which is a shame b/c I would have shared it with one lucky WS'er. Check your local libraries now to get on reservation lists, too, I'd say. :)

One thing that's cool is that Jaycee is donating a portion of the proceeds to The JAYC Foundation, which is what she started to help people recover from traumatic experiences.

Here's the link to her foundation:

www.thejaycfoundation.org

You can also "like" it on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/TheJAYCFoundation

It would be cool if people could spread the word about this. I'm glad that she's using what happened to her in such a positive, generous way. :)

This is her story in her own words, but was not allowed to know everything that was to know, particularly the years in which she was locked up....and I'm concerned about what happened when the girls were staying in the main house while she was sleeping in a tent in the yard.
I agree. Unfortunately, sexual psychopaths don't stop just bc they have kids, find religion, or make up their own psychotic religion. Am also a little confused about his mother living in the house. How could she not know what he was doing in that back yard? Anyway, for Jaycee and her children's sakes, I truly hope our concerns are wrong.

I agree. Unfortunately, sexual psychopaths don't stop just bc they have kids, find religion, or make up their own psychotic religion. Am also a little confused about his mother living in the house. How could she not know what he was doing in that back yard? Anyway, for Jaycee and her children's sakes, I truly hope our concerns are wrong.

From the book, it doesn't sound like Jaycee and the girls had run of the main house until his mom was quite disabled with Parkinsons and dementia. It wasn't clear what she would have known when they were confined.

NYGirl I noticed that about Carl too!! It sounds to me like he was HORRIBLE to her and no wonder the mother doesn't want him around or denied him seeing her. I also can get why he was a suspect at one point after what she has wrote about. And as NY Girl said the beginning IS graphic and disturbing.

The book isn't really clear whether he was truly a bad guy or was just hard on her (critical). Liking a baby better than your preteen stepdaughter sounds like human nature. We don't know what kind of parent he was to 11-year-old Shayna, nor do we know if the relationship with Kaycee would have improved with more time/maturity.

It's really clear she has had no healthy relationships with men throughout her life (She mentions this in the book)....I wonder if it doesn't feel safe to get angry at Garrido yet in her recovery and she is deflecting onto Carl as the one who kept her from her mother. She was conditioned not to question Garrido or show any unhappiness with what he did.

She idealizes her mother throughout the book. If she was truly sent away to live with relatives (touched on but not explained in book) than both Terry and Carl are responsible for that.

I finished the book in 2.25 hours. I am glad for the resilience of her spirit, but am still very worried about her, the girls, and potential other victims out there. Her lack of anger at Garrido makes me wonder whether that is still yet to surface. I pray she will stay in therapy even if she feels fine.

Maybe she's not that naieve. Maybe she has her own suspicions, or even knowledge, but does not want to write something so private about her children in HER book. I wouldn't reveal something so harrowing and private about my child. I'd get her the help she would obviously need and allow her to choose. I don't think her story needs to go there - her story stands on it's own horror and lessons. JMHO.

By the way, Amazon has the hardcover for $11.99 - half the original price.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back