Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if G's picture on facebook is accurate

But G was gone Monday morning, so could not have been there when he picked up the dog on Tuesday, so it seems highly unlikely he's confused about who he dealt with regarding the dog. It seems Rebecca would have been the only female in the home as of Monday afternoon.

The only people in the complex tuesday night were RN in the main house and
the brother in the guest home.........so far...........LE are not releasing information on whether there was a party or not........

everything subject to change!!:banghead:

I read LE is now looking into the possibility of other people on the premises Tuesday night. The day Rebecca was found hanging from the balcony, with little else to report, the media focused on the history of the mansion, describing several guest houses on the property, one reportedly being rented.

Also, into the allegations there was a party. A neighbor said it sounded like a "loud" party, a neighbor close enough to know about Max's accident, and thought it was very inappropriate timing for a celebration. These homes are not secluded, they're quite close.

http://www.scottsdale-az-blog.com/2011/07/20/pv-police-records-unveil-shacknais-stormy-marriage/

“There are five possibilities in her death, and we know it wasn’t natural or accidental,” Frank said. “We don’t want to say ‘undetermined,’ so that leaves homicide or suicide.”

Five possibilities: Suicide, Murder w/4 suspects?
In random order: Jonah, Adam, Dina, Neil Nalepa

There's been little speculation about Neil, Rebecca's ex-husband. Their divorce was final earlier this year, although she's been with JS for two years. She legally changed her name back to her maiden name, Zapau, a few months ago. At the time of her death, Neil said he had spoken to her a week earlier about a joint credit card. He also said she had changed, wanting a life of luxury. Other than his statement, "I just can't wrap my head around this," nothing more has been reported.

It's also reported that 15 detectives are investigating the case from the San Diego Sheriffs Office and the FBI. Sheriff Gore had a long career with the FBI before joining SDSO. The FBI was involved from Day 1, in the Chelsea King case, very unusual in a missing child case. I imagine Gore's ties with the agency are behind their joining both investigations.

Like SDSO being assigned the case, for lack of a homicide unit at CPD, the FBI has resources and expertise at the highest level. I trust the case is in good hands and will escalate solving it to a priority level.

Dr. Drew just mentioned "no suicide letter" left.

First I've heard of a mention of an existence of one or not.

I don't find that particularly odd... my brother didn't leave a note when he took his own life. He left only phone numbers of myself, my sister, my mother and his girlfriend on a post-it note for police or whomever found him. In his case, he took his life in the bathtub of a motel by slicing the arteries in his arms and bled out quickly. He was found totally in the nude as well. Nudity in suicides happens a lot, but it's not known why.

After reading everything about this case, I highly doubt JS or DS is involved at all. They were keeping vigil at Max's beside. He was still in a coma, and he hadn't yet received the second MRI to confirm no brain activity. I'm not so quick to point the finger in the direction of the grieving parents as I'm sure their only concern at the time RN was found dead was Max and nothing but Max.

As hard as it is to believe a person will take their own life, it happens every 16 minutes in this country. I had a neighbor when I was a child who hung herself in their garage from the rafters. She had tied her hands and her feet before kicking the table out from under herself. Her husband wasn't in town and she wasn't found for days. I'm not having a really hard time believing Rebecca did the same thing out of tremendous guilt over Max's accident. I know her sister and/or friends were quoted as saying she'd never kill herself... and trust me I believe that more than anyone as I would have said the same exact thing about my brother. I demanded the Chicago police look at every angle, I even had delusions about some homeless person stealing my brothers wallet they used to identify him... until I demanded to see his body to determine it was indeed him.

Unfortunately I feel we are dealing with a very tragic accident of a little boy who fell from the stairs; and the aftermath of guilt on the one person who should have been watching him diligently but wasn't. It's a very tragic story all the way around.

JMHO

Unfortunately I feel we are dealing with a very tragic accident of a little boy who fell from the stairs; and the aftermath of guilt on the one person who should have been watching him diligently but wasn't. It's a very tragic story all the way around.

I agree. Of course, her family will challenge it. As have friends who either worked with her, knew her long ago, or were still close with her.

The person they knew was not the person she was after Max's accident. I was more inclined to think JS sent her packing, and she couldn't face leaving the luxury she'd become accustomed to. Thus, the reason she "staged a murder". Retaliation. If that's the case, she succeeded.

Sorry for the tragic loss of your brother. I think your perspective is a valid one, because of your own personal experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Hmmmm the extortion thing might make some sense, if Max had been injured in some other way. But he was injured in his own home. So unless the people trying to extort money also had someone in the home... that wouldn't make sense.

Now if he had been injured outside the house... I'd entertain that idea. Because Rebecca's death does seem like a message and could be consistent with teaching someone a lesson.

However... generally people who are going to do something like that, threaten the child to get the money. So I would have expected it to be the other way around... kill Rebecca and then threaten to kill Max if he didn't comply.

I don't know. I just don't think extortion is going to be the motive here.

I don't find that particularly odd... my brother didn't leave a note when he took his own life. He left only phone numbers of myself, my sister, my mother and his girlfriend on a post-it note for police or whomever found him. In his case, he took his life in the bathtub of a motel by slicing the arteries in his arms and bled out quickly. He was found totally in the nude as well. Nudity in suicides happens a lot, but it's not known why.

After reading everything about this case, I highly doubt JS or DS is involved at all. They were keeping vigil at Max's beside. He was still in a coma, and he hadn't yet received the second MRI to confirm no brain activity. I'm not so quick to point the finger in the direction of the grieving parents as I'm sure their only concern at the time RN was found dead was Max and nothing but Max.

As hard as it is to believe a person will take their own life, it happens every 16 minutes in this country. I had a neighbor when I was a child who hung herself in their garage from the rafters. She had tied her hands and her feet before kicking the table out from under herself. Her husband wasn't in town and she wasn't found for days. I'm not having a really hard time believing Rebecca did the same thing out of tremendous guilt over Max's accident. I know her sister and/or friends were quoted as saying she'd never kill herself... and trust me I believe that more than anyone as I would have said the same exact thing about my brother. I demanded the Chicago police look at every angle, I even had delusions about some homeless person stealing my brothers wallet they used to identify him... until I demanded to see his body to determine it was indeed him.

JMHO

BBM - you're right. People who commit suicide have a very strange state of mind. When I was 14, my best friends mother committed suicide. She went into her bedroom, took out a large handgun, and blew her head off. My best friend and her sisters were in the house, and her lousy husband was sitting in a chair watching TV (gosh, the mom hated him).

That memory has never left my mind, and it devestated the family (cept for the husband). She left behind 3 daughters to clean up that mess.

Such a sweet lady too -- I never would have imagined. No note there either. HUGS TO YOU STELLA!!!!

MOO.

Mel

My thoughts all along!!!!! Or was RN responsible for it all? :rocker:

Sure seems she was the nanny............oh, no.......run.......another nanny...
just kidding

I don't know, but I think she had a hard enough time handling her dog, let alone a big house like that. A lot of time/phone calls were spent on the dog, and her visit(s) to the gym. I just can't imagine having time to clean the house as well. I only have an 1,000 SF condo and I have a hard time.

I think she had help. Now whether that was once a week, once a day, twice a week - I don't know. But trust me, she's not out there cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, or cleaning the toilets. You just don't do that with the kind of money JS had.

My opinion only.

Mel

People do die in accidents every day in this country, so I fail to see how any sort of guilt would apply if this child slipped and fell. You can not watch someone every second of every day. Unless the child was doing something unusual that should have been noticed, slip and fall could only take a second. How can someone possibly prevent that?

A friend of mine sent me this link on FB and provides information about the house:

http://www.coronadobeachhouse.com/1043OceanBlvd.html

The 12,751-square-foot property sits on nearly half an acre at 1043 Ocean Blvd. and commands a 115-foot unobstructed beach view. And that's just what John D. Spreckels, who owned the nearby Hotel del Coronado and many other properties and businesses, had in mind.

Note: don't click on Home Page, as that will bring you to another house altogether.

Mel

People do die in accidents every day in this country, so I fail to see how any sort of guilt would apply if this child slipped and fell. You can not watch someone every second of every day. Unless the child was doing something unusual that should have been noticed, slip and fall could only take a second. How can someone possibly prevent that?

It doesn't necessarily matter if guilt SHOULD apply or will apply legally... people need someone to blame.

We are dealing with the new woman/possibly mistress of Max's father... Mom/girlfriend are not best friends.

Then her child dies while this woman is supposed to be watching him?
She is likely going to blame the new woman/mistress because of who she is.

The father might blame himself for not being there, or not preventing the accident.

The person who was supposed to be in charge of the child might blame themselves for just simply not being RIGHT there to physically stop the child.

My daughter was carrying an UNopened can of soup. Tripped, landed on the can and it cut off her finger. :sick: She had a soup can circle bruise on her chest too. She was 5 years old and wanted to get her own dinner from the cupboard 6 feet away. 2 years later, I still get sick to my stomach and kick myself over letting her carry a can of soup!

I cannot imagine the guilt that would be involved if a child that was NOT mine, died accidentally on MY watch. Even a freak accident like just falling down the stairs. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt.

It sounds like other than a friend with an autistic son, Jonah doesn't have much connection to special needs. (

Actually, Max was a special needs child. Speculation is he had Asperger's, a form of Autism. Dina co-authored a book on the subject.

Actually, Max was a special needs child. Speculation is he had Asperger's, a form of Autism. Dina co-authored a book on the subject.

BBM.

Hi Obmama,

Do you a link that confirms the information that Max was a special needs child?

Thanks so much.

Melanie

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15119133/waiting-for-answers-in-mansion-deaths-mystery

"The Coronado police chief tells News 8 at this point there doesn't appear to be any criminal activity involved in this case, and that could point to suicide, but Rebecca Zahau's sister tells us Rebecca would never have taken her own life."

Her sister is extremely upset, obviously in denial. He goes on further to say binding is not uncommon in suicides, and tells the reasoning behind this.

He also discussed a very interesting theory about a piece of evidence.
The table with the broken leg. There is speculation that Rebecca may have jumped from the table off the balcony.

This is the first statement from an LE official that leans in either direction, suicide or murder. I don't think the chief is going to put his butt out on a limb, on an investigation that's escalated to the federal level, by making random statements to the media.

And, I think Rebecca's sister reaction was to the findings that are appearing to rule out criminal activity. I expect when the forensics investigation is complete, it will support those findings and the cause of death will be suicide.

As for poor little Maxie, it was a tragic accident. If he was indeed, "owling" or "planking", as some have suggested and I tend to believe, it would be prudent of JS to disclose this and send a message to parents of the dangers in these activities. It would give him some positive media exposure, something that has been lacking this past week.

I hope Rebecca's death is ruled a suicide, for the sake of both families. Her sister may come to realize it's better this tragedy ends quickly, rather than a drawn out murder investigation that dredges up dirty laundry from the past.

My thoughts all along!!!!! Or was RN responsible for it all? :rocker:

Sure seems she was the nanny............oh, no.......run.......another nanny...
just kidding

BBM You're too much!! :floorlaugh:

BBM.

Hi Obmama,

Do you a link that confirms the information that Max was a special needs child?

Thanks so much.

Melanie

Probably not. It came up in a discussion on the signonsandiego message board, and I remember it didn't surprise me, by things said by his grandmother and others close to him. It was never disclosed exactly what it was, but surmised it was related to JS's affiliation with the organization he asked donations be sent in memory of Max. Whatever it was that brought it into the conversation, it appeared to have validity.

http://www.scottsdale-az-blog.com/2011/07/20/pv-police-records-unveil-shacknais-stormy-marriage/

“There are five possibilities in her death, and we know it wasn’t natural or accidental,” Frank said. “We don’t want to say ‘undetermined,’ so that leaves homicide or suicide.”

Five possibilities: Suicide, Murder w/4 suspects?
In random order: Jonah, Adam, Dina, Neil Nalepa

(snip).

The quote lists the 5 possibilities:

natural
accidental
homicide
suicide
undetermined.

IMO

I cannot imagine the guilt that would be involved if a child that was NOT mine, died accidentally on MY watch. Even a freak accident like just falling down the stairs. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt.

Let's assume Rebecca felt guilty and that would be a reason for suicide.
In which case, where is the suicide note, asking for forgiveness and such?
Why naked, out in the open, with hands and feet tied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname