Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think that the Jane Doe resembles Mindy Creech missing from Indiana on 4 Sep 1979. Mindy's eyes are brown, while Jane Doe's are Blue. I think the nose is negotiable, though. People have argued about it before. But they obviously did pictures of the Jane Doe with a different sort of nose. I wonder why? Mindy was white, but was hispanic/latino ethnicity. From her profile on the Doe Network, her mother told her remaining children that her daughter had been found deceased in New Jersey, when in fact, she had not. Do you think that they ever looked at her? Because of the different color of the eyes, I do not think they would be a match, but they sure do resemble one another alot. Please discuss, even rip it apart, but at least it will keep the thread moving for this little girl.

In Mindy's Charley Project Profile,http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/creech_melinda.html it stated that she previously fractured her arm, the Caledonia Jane Doe is not have have any prior broken bones.

It also states in Melinda's charley project file that she she had a mole on her left eyebrow. I looked at the JD's morgue pic and it does not look like she has a mole on either eyebrow https://identifyus.org/medias/full/6715

Sorry Margotkidder, I don't like pointing out things that others haven't seen on their possible matches, but we are here all to get these UID's identified! I have had many possible I have posted on here, and othe members here helped me see things I might have missed when I have tried to match....

Lets keep looking to identify her!

It also says that Kimberly has a gap between her two front teeth, and I don't think Caledonia Jane Doe Does according to her profile.

But then again, she hasn't been identified yet... Who is she?

Kimberly was only twelve, and at that age people are still getting their twelve year old molars. I didn't find the gap to be a major issue, teeth can move fast at that age especially when molars on both sides come in at the same time, and she may already have been on her way to the gap closing.

The peg shaped tooth is still the big rule out for Kimberly. I just can't see any way around that.

Her hairline though is very similar to Cali in my opinion.

Ok, So I have been doing some research on this and I did a route from Los Angeles, CA to Boston.

Here is a link: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=L...dyAdd-w;FT6kjgIdYIZf-w&mra=mi&mrsp=4&sz=9&z=4

It if you look she would pass over the I-90 and be right there in the area. Actually almost anywhere in so. cal or arizona would cause the person to pass through Caledona, Ny. One of the routes would take her through New Mexico which might explain the jewelry and they may have taken US 20 to avoid I-90 and that is how they ended up in Lima.

Second, I found a description of a person she was with at the diner. Here is a sketch:

image_thumb

He was described as a white male, 5'8" - 5'9". Was wearing a flannel shirt. Had wire rim glasses. He also drove a station wagon with wooden sidings.

I am probably going to call the Caledonia Sheriffs Office tomorrow. But they were saying that the pollen was in her jacket and her pants. I am thinking that the jacket came from wherever she was from either California or Florida.

I am wondering if she knew the victim. A shot to the head seems kind of odd for a serial killer to do. I could see her getting shot in the back while she was running and usually don't most killers generally strangle or stab their victim? It was almost like she either didn't think he was going to pull the trigger. Also the fact that she was not sexually assaulted and it from the corner's report there wasn't a sign of her struggling. Add that to fact that the killer cleared out her pockets. This doesn't seem like a random killing, like something a serial killer would do.

But the fact that some people reported her hitchhiking and getting rides when she could as that the killer was some random person who picked her up.

Some questions I am going to ask the sheriff's department.

Since the waitress described the guy she was with. I am wondering if they acted like they knew each other? I am also wondering where this truck stop was that this trucker saw her at?

The guy in the picture looks about college age I wonder if it was a boyfriend? What do you all think?

Some questions I am going to ask the sheriff's department.

Since the waitress described the guy she was with. I am wondering if they acted like they knew each other? I am also wondering where this truck stop was that this trucker saw her at?

The guy in the picture looks about college age I wonder if it was a boyfriend? What do you all think?

For the reason that you stated, I don't think that she knew her killer. She wouldn't have been catching rides at a truck stop if she knew her killer.

What I would like to know is if they have an idea of which parts of California, Arizona, Florida, and Mexico the Australian Pine can be found. If I could narrow it down to a few counties, it would be worth my while to browse the HS yearbooks.

On the other hand, there is a good chance that she was a high school drop-out, given her decayed dentition. Also, the Australian Pine pollen in her pockets only indicates that she passed through these locations. It doesn't prove that this was her origin.

For the reason that you stated, I don't think that she knew her killer. She wouldn't have been catching rides at a truck stop if she knew her killer.

What I would like to know is if they have an idea of which parts of California, Arizona, Florida, and Mexico the Australian Pine can be found. If I could narrow it down to a few counties, it would be worth my while to browse the HS yearbooks.

On the other hand, there is a good chance that she was a high school drop-out, given her decayed dentition. Also, the Australian Pine pollen in her pockets only indicates that she passed through these locations. It doesn't prove that this was her origin.

Very true. I will post more information after I am able to get it from the sheriff.

Another thing you might want to check are social service files around these counties. I am thinking she might be a foster child. That would explain why no one has came forward.

I am also going to see if she any of these people that reported seeing her thought that she had an accent. That might give some more clues on where to search.

I am also going to guess that she knew someone in Boston. It might be even worth trying to contact one of the news stations in Boston. Maybe get a story out.

What I know about "Australian Pines"

In Australia we call them Sheoak or casuarina. They have skinny, constantly growing and constantly shedding leaves or needles that droop or "weep" downwards. They can fix their own nitrogen like legumes do, and can grow on even quite sandy soils and are both drought and dampness tolerant. They propagate both by seeds and by sending out suckers. Like real pines, they produce a lot of pollen. Often planted as a windbreak on farms. Not so great in the garden unless you have a lot of space and are going for a wild natural look. Like with many actual pine trees, nothing much grows beneath a sheoak unless you remove the thick carpet of needles regularly, indeed they seem to produce even more needles than most real pines do. The growth habit of the tree varies, when planted close together they grow tall and their leaves are mostly out of reach, to be in a densely packed stand of sheoaks is to be in an environment that seems almost sterile of other life, all you see is a soft dense carpet of needles and the pole like trunks. But when planted spaced apart or alone, they grow somewhat more horizontally, and the branches and needles droop to the ground. To be under a young lone sheoak is like being in a tent with a cushioned floor. When the wind blows the tree absorbs most of the force of the wind and turns it into sound and movement of the leaves... even in quite light breezes a young sheoak will make a shush shush shush sound. When they get older they become a more standard looking branched tree with a visible trunk.

I haven't as yet been under a sheoak in heavy rain, but I suspect one growing in the more bushy form would shed water well enough that it would be quite dry near the trunk. definitely I have seen dry needles under a sheoak after heavy rain.

A young sheoak growing by itself is a nice hidden place to camp out a few days if you are living rough. An older sheoak growing by itself is nice to sit under to have a picnic. A large stand of sheoaks would is an interesting place to take a walk or a good place to go to be alone with your thoughts or to hang out with friends and not be noticed.

edited to add:

Here's a link to some of what the US government has to say about Casuarina right now, but the extant of the various weed species may have been different back in 1979. Various eradication efforts have been made, and the trees have been spreading naturally too.

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/casspp/all.html

I wonder exactly which species the pollen was from?

hmmmm, if it is the one that tends to most often be called "Australian Pine" the answer (from this source anyway) seems to be

<i>C. equisetifolia is found only in
south Florida because of its cold intolerance. It is resistant to salt
spray but not to prolonged flooding. </i>

According to the distribution maps at the bottom of this webpage, the Australian Pine is found through much of Florida, Hawaii, and Maricopa County AZ (where Phoenix is located). There is also some distribution near Mobile AL and scattered counties in the Gulf Coast of Texas.

None of the counties in California are marked.

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=3268

According to the distribution maps at the bottom of this webpage, the Australian Pine is found through much of Florida, Hawaii, and Maricopa County AZ (where Phoenix is located). There is also some distribution near Mobile AL and scattered counties in the Gulf Coast of Texas.

None of the counties in California are marked.

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=3268

I was looking at that map yesterday and noticed that (in the fine print, of course), it says it is incomplete - maybe CA hasn't reported the pine as an invasive species to that particular agency. I wonder if Mexico tracks their invasive species in a similar format?

The Casuarina equisetifolia is all over Mexico, it looks like. This paper, from 1983 (scroll down almost all the way to see the map - the circles are the C. equisetifolia) shows it on Mexico's eastern side (the western half is not mentioned in this paper). http://www1.inecol.edu.mx/publicaciones/resumeness/FLOVER/27-Nee.pdf

Another site I found, published by the Mexican government, places the stuff all over the place, in at least 5 states.
http://www.conabio.gob.mx/malezasdemexico/casuarinaceae/casuarina-equisetifolia/fichas/ficha.htm

So yeah, that helps a whole lot. :crazy:

I received some information from a trustworthy source that Cali's teeth were analyzed to determine their oxygen isotope ratios and the results from this were consistent with her growing up in the SW US and some other places in the world. (for a good overview of this analysis read here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11421593)

The O2 isotope ratio technique can not be considered precise, but can be used in conjunction with other pertinent information. Consider this slideshow prepared by one of the world's leading palynologists, VM Bryant (straight out of Aggieland). The content in general is fascinating, but pay close attention to slides 34-42. Entitled "Jane Doe Murdered in Upstate NY" the slides show the process of extracting the pollen from Jane's red jacket and brown corduroy pants. Pollen clues extracted from the clothes are detailed, and Bryant's expert hypothesis on where the Casuarina originated is provided. Check it out: http://projects.nfstc.org/trace/2009/presentations/3-bryant-palynology1.pdf

I received some information from a trustworthy source that Cali's teeth were analyzed to determine their oxygen isotope ratios and the results from this were consistent with her growing up in the SW US and some other places in the world. (for a good overview of this analysis read here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11421593)

The O2 isotope ratio technique can not be considered precise, but can be used in conjunction with other pertinent information. Consider this slideshow prepared by one of the world's leading palynologists, VM Bryant (straight out of Aggieland). The content in general is fascinating, but pay close attention to slides 34-42. Entitled "Jane Doe Murdered in Upstate NY" the slides show the process of extracting the pollen from Jane's red jacket and brown corduroy pants. Pollen clues extracted from the clothes are detailed, and Bryant's expert hypothesis on where the Casuarina originated is provided. Check it out: http://projects.nfstc.org/trace/2009/presentations/3-bryant-palynology1.pdf

:goodpost: Thanks annemc2!

That study indicates that Cali's most likely origin was Southern California near San Diego. I would probably include Orange County as well. But they also indicated that she was tanned, so that would make the beach communities of San Diego and Orange County most likely. That's a much easier task than searching the entire states of CA, AZ, and FL.

So, I talked to the officer on the case today at the Livingston County Sheriff's department. Got a few tidbits of informations about the case.

So, the guy that she was with was heavyset about 25-30 years old like the fbi information dark hair 5'9", wire frame glasses. Can anyone think of any serial killers that match?

The autosports products jacket was something they gave out for free to people attending racing events.

There was a possible lead that I gave. It is Diane Genice Dye. Her profile is here: http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=5288411631788

He responded that was a consideration right now. They have the DNA in the national databank for Cali but not Diane yet. Once they do, he wants to go ahead and try to match them.

Tomorrow I am going to find out who the officer with the Kilgore Texas sheriff's department in charge of the Teresa Marie Byers and submit that as a possible link.

Thanks for the info on the perp. I can't think of any convicted serial killers who fit that description. I don't think Chris Wilder wore glasses, and he wasn't particularly heavyset.

I don't think this Jane Doe is Diane Dye. Diane Dye's Charley Project page indicates she has pierced ears. Cali's ears weren't pierced. Aside from that, just on appearance, Cali has a very noticeably upturned nose. Diane's nose has no upturn at all.

Teresa Byers has a little upturn in her nose, but still not as much as you have with Cali. That is a very distinctive feature that you would notice right away if you ever found a photo of an alive Cali.

I've been looking in San Diego HS yearbooks for years between 1977 and 1979, and have now browsed 30 books for schools in the City of San Diego, and 8 books from a few schools in Escondido. I've found nothing that would warrant much more than a double-take.

I realize that looking in San Diego area yearbooks is a long-shot, but I can't think of any other options at this point. I am very confident that Cali is not listed in any of the publicly available missing persons listings.

Incidentally, several weeks ago while looking in a Norwich Connecticut 1980 yearbook for someone else, I ran across this girl who I thought looked spot-on like Cali.

2910456420045078242S500x500Q851_zpse0b3b580.jpg
a7f82610-6d89-4d17-874a-8e17a335b745.jpg

Since yearbook photos are usually taken in the Fall of the prior year, the 1980 school year was not a problem. I was sure that it was her, but looking further through the book I saw that she was on a list of people who attended June '80 graduation ceremonies. She also wearing stud earrings in the photo.

I was looking at serial killer sketches to see if there were any that looked similar - I didn't have any luck and I'm not going to do that any more right before bedtime!

So was it ever specified that pollen from the jacket was from SoCal? Or was the information we were given just that the clothes in general carried the pollen? I'm just wondering if we could narrow down the jacket's origin if we concentrated on auto races/promotions that were in the SoCal area - maybe that would help pin down the areas Cali frequented.

I was looking at serial killer sketches to see if there were any that looked similar - I didn't have any luck and I'm not going to do that any more right before bedtime!

So was it ever specified that pollen from the jacket was from SoCal? Or was the information we were given just that the clothes in general carried the pollen? I'm just wondering if we could narrow down the jacket's origin if we concentrated on auto races/promotions that were in the SoCal area - maybe that would help pin down the areas Cali frequented.

IIRC, the pollen was found both in the lining of the Jacket, and in her pants pockets.

The study that you posted indicated that when you combine the few locations where the Australian Pine can be found with the results of the Oxygen Isotope analysis on her teeth, indicating that she likely grew up in the Southwest U.S., they pinpointed the most likely location as San Diego. The isotope analysis results would indicate that she actually lived in the SW United States, and wasn't just passing through.

The study also stated that the two locations where the trees grow in Arizona were the campuses of the Univ of Arizona and Arizona State Univ, and they rated those locations unlikely.

Thanks, Carl. Apparently the palynologist has more of a hunch that the samples came from Southern California - kind of a scientific gut feeling, if you will. To him, the pollen simply "looked" more like it came from SoCal, and that's why he couldn't make a scientifically definitive statement about it - just that it was, in his opinion, the best match. (and I believe were talking about samples from both on the inside lining of the jacket and in the pants pockets)

Might be interesting to see where the Carpinus, Picea, Betula, and Quercus pollens might have originated (Carpinis & Betula usually found in alpine or mountainous regions, but not native to Livingston Co, IIRC).

I've been looking in San Diego HS yearbooks for years between 1977 and 1979, and have now browsed 30 books for schools in the City of San Diego, and 8 books from a few schools in Escondido. I've found nothing that would warrant much more than a double-take.

I realize that looking in San Diego area yearbooks is a long-shot, but I can't think of any other options at this point. I am very confident that Cali is not listed in any of the publicly available missing persons listings.

I am wondering where you are finding the yearbooks are they online? Also, I am wondering if these yearbooks, if they are online only shows seniors or everyone?

Do they have middle school yearbooks online too? She could be around middle school age.

I was thinking about social service organizations, she might be a foster kid or even orphanages. Idk how prominent those were in the late 70's.

Also, with DNA testing is it pretty easy to detect nationality. Like if they were native american, hispanic, or even within white nationalities like Russian or Swedish?

That just gave me an idea. I am going email the officer in charge of the case and see if any of the people that said they saw her said that she had an accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Truth Sleuth