New Search 9/12/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine snow or no snow that time of the year the ground would be very hard. It would be very hard and a lot of work to dig a deep grave. Also time too.

JP doesn't strike me as the type to put forth a lot of effort or energy on anything, hence the "shallow" grave. IMO

mrogers_trib Melinda Rogers
Alina Powell says her brother Josh is not headed to Utah today. "Where did this rumor that J is on a plane come from?? Not true," she said.
Salt Lake Tribune reporter

Hi ya'll... trying to get up to speed here, and answer a couple of SAR questions. Does anyone have the coordinates handy for the search area?

Oriah, Nate Carlisle a reporter gave these coodinates yesterday when they moved to this location.

N 39.72218 W 113.07269

http://twitpic.com/6laeej

ben winslow's tweet pic of one of the cadaver dogs

First thought: He's sticking his tongue out at JP. lol

398554219.jpg

Good point! BTW love your pic and name!!

Yes is he answer to the cadaver dogs. We recently had CD's go to local cemetaries that were unmarked to find the deceased in order to put headstones.

Graves from the 1800's and the dogs did find them. :)

Er- not entirely.

HRD dogs need to be trained on significantly aged scent to alert on skeletanized remains- especially those underground. While there certainly are SAR dogs out there that are trained for this purpose, I've not found them to be common in the field.
Again- that's not to say they don't exist- just that they are uncommon.

Does anyone know specifically which dogs were brought out for this search? TIA.

For him to do that, there MUST be some clues in the area the are searching now. If he were confident they weren't going to find anything, I don't think he would have be coming out there on a last-minute flight. They are preparing for something... like someone else said.

Hmmm...if this is Susan, why would he go to the area though? Why not wait for the feds to come find him? Weirder things have happened though.

I've been looking up info on known older burial sites in the area. I found two of interest.

- Japanese camp someone posted about earlier had a cemetery, but there are no records of it ever having been used. Remains were taken to another city and cremated.

- Native American burial ground named Nephi Mounds is one of only two in Utah, the other being nowhere near this area. I'm unsure how close/far Nephi Mounds is to the excavation site. It is in Juab County though, and I did find a map, so maybe someone better with maps than I, or who knows the area, could figure out how close it is.

Scroll down to the map. The Nephi Mounds are are in the lower left corner of the map:

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/scenic-drive-in-utah-nebo-loop-scenic-byway-ga.htm

This site is where I found the official Native American burial grounds:

http://www.ibsgwatch.imagedjinn.com/learn/utah.htm

ETA: I meant to note that the Nephi Mounds were used in the 1300s.

ShaunaKhorrami Shauna Khorrami
Josh Powell possibly landing in SLC any minute now. At airport with two crews. #gdu #findsusan

NewsUtah NEWSUTAH
RT @ShaunaKhorrami: Josh Powell possibly landing in SLC any minute now. #utah #findsusan

Sort of makes me wonder that maybe Josh Powell and Mr. Cox have been asked to comes to SLC to identify some belongings perhaps?

I cannot believe that LE would have any of the family members even close to the grave site. Maybe in a town close by but not that the site. That is all JP needs to have his attorney argue in court that while he was out there identifying items his DNA was transferred.

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
NEW: Josh Powell's family issues statement urging police to give more info about remains to "minimize heartache." @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
WVC PD Lt. Bill Merritt just told me the search for #SusanPowell will continue at least through tomorrow. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah

Are the P's freaking out or what? Do tell please, so we can hide!!! OMG

AndrewAdamsKSL Andrew Adams
Chuck Cox says he came to #Utah by his own choice. Will meet with #WVC PD and see if he can go to Juab Co. site. #findsusan

@AndrewAdamsKSL
Andrew Adams

Chuck Cox says he came to #Utah by his own choice. Will meet with #WVC PD and see if he can go to Juab Co. site.

2 minutes ago

@mrogers_trib
Melinda Rogers

Meanwhile, Chuck Cox has arrived in Utah to be closer to the case. He plans to chat with WVC and other law enforcement involved in the case.

26 seconds ago

I've been looking up info on known older burial sites in the area. I found two of interest.

- Japanese camp someone posted about earlier had a cemetery, but there are no records of it ever having been used. Remains were taken to another city and cremated.

- Native American burial ground named Nephi Mounds is one of only two in Utah, the other being nowhere near this area. I'm unsure how close/far Nephi Mounds is to the excavation site. It is in Juab County though, and I did find a map, so maybe someone better with maps than I, or who knows the area, could figure out how close it is.

Scroll down to the map. The Nephi Mounds are are in the lower left corner of the map:

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/scenic-drive-in-utah-nebo-loop-scenic-byway-ga.htm

This site is where I found the official Native American burial grounds:

http://www.ibsgwatch.imagedjinn.com/learn/utah.htm

ETA: I meant to note that the Nephi Mounds were used in the 1300s.

That's not terribly close. I'm guessing 30 - 40 miles.

@AndrewAdamsKSL
Andrew Adams

Chuck Cox says he came to #Utah by his own choice. Will meet with #WVC PD and see if he can go to Juab Co. site.

2 minutes ago

@mrogers_trib
Melinda Rogers

Meanwhile, Chuck Cox has arrived in Utah to be closer to the case. He plans to chat with WVC and other law enforcement involved in the case.

26 seconds ago

I don't think Mr. Cox spent all that money on a flight for nothing. Something is up.

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Just got an update from WVC PD out here. BLM still working, police chief due here within hours. @fox13now #findsusan #SusanPowell #Utah

Hours?

ETA, they have to know something about the remains by now you would think?

bmullahy2news Brian Mullahy
chuck Cox in Salt Lake City---doubts a federal grand jury would help investigation.
13 minutes ago

Chuck Cox got very emotional when I asked him if he's hoping this is Susan to get some closer...or hoping it's not so all hope is not lost.
22 minutes ago

Chuck Cox says email pointed to a trip she and Josh took to Topaz Mountain the summer before disappearance.
23 minutes ago

Interviewing Chuck Cox...Susan Powell's dad. twitpic.com/6lbxzj
25 minutes ago

Chuck Cox is in SLC----more hopeful there will be an answer in Susan's disappearance
26 minutes ago

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Just got an update from WVC PD out here. BLM still working, police chief due here within hours. @fox13now #findsusan #SusanPowell #Utah

Hours?

ETA, they have to know something about the remains by now you would think?

Maybe the police chief is making a few phone calls.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann