WA WA - Sky Metalwala, 2, Bellevue, 6 Nov 2011 - # 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://images.bimedia.net/documents/Decl+of+Solomon+Metalwala.pdf

I'm half way thru and in utter complete shock. I had no idea OCD could be so bad. I am so sorry for those that suffer through it. Soloman in NO WAY could make this up. He must have been so conflicted as to how to deal with her and the children. I imagine he had regressed fear of deportation as well. I would bet that never goes away based on the circumstances of their marriage.
For her to have gained custody is just a travesty and clearly a hole in the Justice system of that County and Jurisdiction.
IMO she clearly "cleansed herself of her marriage and S.." who reminded her so much of Solomon.
I think LE is being cautious because of her instability and thank goodness M will never be in her care again.

Good question. In my opinion, no -in pictures he looked well nourished. But then again -I don't know what is the most recent picture of him. Anyone? infants/toddlers can go down hill pretty quickly can't they?

Yes.

I had a lengthy post on the previous page. I don't think he would have starved to death, per se, but a child can die of dehydration in under a week, and in just a few days if there's vomiting and diarreah.

My daughter did not look even close to emaciated when she was hospitalized for malnutrition and dehydration (turned out to be a metobolic disorder.) She had lost weight over time, but wasn't 'skinny'. Hair shiny, skin clear ....she'd been to the doctor 2 days before, because they really thought she just had reflux--and no one suspected she'd be deathly ill in the hospital ER in 2 days. Dehydration gets them first. And even though they kept her on an IV, over several days while they were trying to figure out what was going on, they let me know that she couldn't survive on IV alone forever. So eventually, malnutrition will bring them down.

I broke down some of the stuff in the doc. for those that can't read it:

She was depressed, bi-polar and Severe OCD per 2 doctors.

* Sorry for the edit, Miziree -- I wanted to focus on this one part, if that's okay. Are we sure she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder? If so, that would bolster my theory that she had some kind of psychotic break. I was having trouble fitting a psychotic break into her diagnosis of OCD, which was the only diagnosis I'd heard until now. But, people diagnosed with bipolar disorder sometimes do have psychotic breaks -- typically during a manic phase (which can also affect sleep, appetite, etc). Please don't get me wrong -- not all people diagnosed with bipolar disorder have psychotic breaks. But, it is known to happen in some so, if what you write is true, then it would fit with my theory. It would also explain how she can appear rational at one point and irrational at another, only to return to rational. Psychotic breaks are temporary. A manic episode might also explain the haircut/shoe buying, etc. People experiencing mania have high energy and low self-restraint so some go on shopping sprees.

If she's been holing herself up in the apartment and isolating, neighbors/friends/family may not have been aware of a manic episode or possible psychotic break. This also would help explain why one child disappeared and the other did not. If she had a psychotic break, she was not reality-based and thinking rationally and she could have experienced hallucinations that might have told her Sky was dangerous/dirty/a threat/had to be done away with, but not M. It's all speculation on my part, but if she's previously been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it would explain a lot more than the OCD diagnosis did, I think.

I quote from the doc:

"She first went to see Dr. Reddy Saritha, who diagnosed her with both depression and OCD"

and

"by March 2009, she went to see Dr. Katerina Reabova, who diagnosed Julia with bi-polar, as well as also confirming that she suffered from depression and OCD.

He also states that this can be backed up by medical records.

http://images.bimedia.net/documents/Decl+of+Solomon+Metalwala.pdf (line 21 and 22)

But SM was talking of when he lived with them as in the house that they shared. JB now has an apartment and from the photos that I saw it is not a large apartment.

Anyone remember the name of the apartment complex? I wanted to check if they have a website and look at some things that I found in some of the other photos that she posted.

It's unclear to me what you are making a case about... that they had no bedrooms, or that she concealed that children lived there? There are just dozens of photos...It is possible that some of those pictures were while staying at her mothers -SM indicated that they were constantly moving around from condo to home...then her to her mothers'... To me it stands to reason that if her behavior was (about sleeping) one way, then it may not matter where they are...

Anyway, here is your link to the apartments!
http://www.liveatveloce.com/

They show floor plans, and you might likely be able to determine which she had by cross referencing the pictures. ...and I look forward to reading whatever it is you have in mind about all this!

After reading SM's January 2011 declaration, I'm feeling completely heartbroken for this family. If what SM stated is accurate (without embellishment), it appears that JB became non-compliant regarding her medication & treatment, and her mental health continued to deteriorate.

SM states that his wife was diagnosed with a severe form of OCD, as well as bipolar disorder and depression.

What baffles me is how she could have hidden her mental illness from her family or friends, but it could be explained by the reports of JB living a reclusive lifestyle after the separation. If she limited or cut off contact with everyone, then who would have known just how bad the situation had become?

It's likely that JB's family & friends are mulling over the events of the past few years and are beginning to put things in context, and they are likely seeing certain things in a different light now that precious little Sky is missing.

I have compassion for those who suffer from mental illness. IMO, it's the worst illness a human being can be afflicted with because it robs that person of their entire personality.

The human endocrine system is the least understood system by medical science. The human brain is the least understood organ by medical science.

I hope and pray that little Sky is alive and that he can be found soon. What a beautiful name he has. What a beautiful boy he is.

My thoughts and prayers are with this family.

ETA: Here is the link to SM's declaration:

I think she has some mental disorders, but, she's not mentally ill....like can't be held responsible mentally ill. I think she's just mainly mean.

BBM

From personal knowledge I know that OCD is often a common co-morbidity(occurs with) that comes with bi-polar disorder. So I am not all that surprised if she was both and also those with bi-polar can have many different faces they can put on depending on the group of people they are with.

My SIL has been diagnosed bi-polar/manic depressive and to close family and friends it almost at times seems she has multiple personalities. She doesn't take the meds prescribed to her either she says they make her feel weird. When in all actuality she's acting normal. We've all learned not to go along with her and instead try to point her in the right direction about things. We love her very much but she has and still does manipulate people especially new people or friends in her life.

I think the same thing -given all of the issues, and all of the professionals involved in this case (doctors, lawyers, the father, the family, friends, the court, case/social workers, etc., etc.) Collectively they failed Sky. Seems rigorous follow up and monitoring should have been in place given her diagnosis. Heartbreaking.

I'm going to defend the dad's attorney here and the dad, sort of separate them out from the group (although I get and agree with your sentiment). From what I have seen from the docket and from what I have heard from the lawyer and the dad and other news reports, they did everything they possibly could. Had dad take polygraphs, undergo child custody investigations/evaluations, file for divorce when she started acting crazy and when she then demanded custody, filing declarations, demanding a review of her medical records (which were then placed on file) cooperating with a CPS investigation or two or three, etc. etc.

Sadly, sometimes the system does not listen. And when they make a decision, which could be influenced by subjective perception, prejudice, etc., they get very defensive and more entrenched when that decision is questioned.

Just look at this thread. Here we have:

1. A mom whose child went missing in her custody, dad hadn't seen the child in 10 months.
2. Mom admits to having left the child alone, sick, on the side of the highway, taking only one child with her.
3. Mom claims the car ran out of gas but it had plenty of gas and there was no gas can at the car.
4. Mom claims she was whisking her sick baby to the hospital but she passed closer ones and did not bother to take a cell phone.
5. Mom kept the children from dad by making ever increasing allegations of domestic violence and child abuse against him, including, eventually, even sexual abuse of the little daughter.
6. Said mom then requests that her daughter be placed in the custody of the abusive father, not in foster care.
7. Said mom also agreed to every other weekend visitation just before Sky was reported missing.
8. Dad claims that he had to file for divorce after his very ill wife had to be hospitalized, stated she had thoughts of strangling their son and could not care for the kids, but then demanded that they be in her care.
9. Dad begged the court to listen, stating he feared something bad would happen to the kids unless the court intervened.
11. In the meantime, mom taped herself alienating her child during custody exchanges, whipping her daughter into a frenzy of hysterics. She published that for all the world to hear.
12. The court finally did intervene. After reviewing all the evidence, it apparently was determined that yes, mother had a severe mental illness, but she could effectively parent. Dad had a restraining order issued against him. Justice, according to the mother, was served and she was awarded primary custody. And now Sky is missing.
13. Since Sky went missing, the father has cooperated fully, sitting for two polygraphs. He has spoken to the media, choking back tears, talking about his little "dude" and trying, heartbreakingly, to stay positive and believe his little boy is coming home. We haven't seen mom at all, she refuses to be polygraphed and she won't come in to speak with LE face to face.

Yet despite all this, there continue to be accusations that dad was a liar about mom's mental condition, that dad abused her into mental illness, that mom is so afraid of him that she hid the child, that dad was stalking her and took the child from the car, that dad has a powerful network of Pakistani family and friends that likely forced mom to agree to the new custody arrangement, that dad's attorney fabricated his declarations, or spun them to make mom look bad, that something is "off" about dad, he seems giddy and too happy as he desperately holds out hope and begs for help from the public, etc., etc., and that if something happened to Sky, it was anything but outright, intentional murder or child abuse leading to death. Given that, is it no wonder Sky's dad and his attorney could get nowhere?

I think dad did all he could to save his kids, with the help of his attorney. I have seen this before - when the court system fails to believe and/or ultimately decides one side is more believable, and the other parent simply runs out of options, runs out of money to litigate and is left with a child or children who are so alienated that it is now traumatic to enforce visitation, they have no choice but to sit back and hope for the best, hope for a change, hope for the truth to come out.

I am afraid the truth has now come out. I wish it was different. That sweet little boy with his vulnerable, little smile just wanted to be cared for and hugged and loved and wanted. My heart breaks for him and everyone who tried to protect him.

12. The court finally did intervene. After reviewing all the evidence, it apparently was determined that yes, mother had a severe mental illness, but she could effectively parent. Dad had a restraining order issued against him. Justice, according to the mother, was served and she was awarded primary custody. And now Sky is missing.

Quoted from gitana1

Thats where the ball was dropped by the Court. Had the restraining order not be in place I wonder how this would have gone?

My floorplan guess: http://www.liveatveloce.com/p/district_city_apartment_floorplans/floor_plans/redmond-wa-98052/veloce-3441

ETA: It won't link correctly, but the open one bedroom floor plan

one-bed-one-bath-729.png

What was the outcome of the Feb. 1 hearing? Is that when the dad was hit with the restraining order?

How very sad for these children.

Salem

But not upset enough to the point that she was able to go online to her flickr account and place a sun on dads face in that photo of her, dad and M. I know that photo was NOT in there the past couple of days when I first saw the photos in her account. That was done recently.

I saw that photo at the very beginning of this case, when GingerRed sleuthed it out, even before we could talk about it on the thread (cause' Julia had not yet been named by the MSM). But apparently one of her friends says there were changes to her FB recently. Maybe there were also changes to her flikr after "something" happened to Sky. I don't know.

I quote from the doc:

"She first went to see Dr. Reddy Saritha, who diagnosed her with both depression and OCD"

and

"by March 2009, she went to see Dr. Katerina Reabova, who diagnosed Julia with bi-polar, as well as also confirming that she suffered from depression and OCD.

He also states that this can be backed up by medical records.

http://images.bimedia.net/documents/Decl+of+Solomon+Metalwala.pdf (line 21 and 22)

There are several documents listed in their court docket as "medical records". I think those are sealed. Boy, I bet the judge in their case is freaking right about now. This is a judge's worst nightmare.

My SIL has been diagnosed bi-polar/manic depressive and to close family and friends it almost at times seems she has multiple personalities. She doesn't take the meds prescribed to her either she says they make her feel weird. When in all actuality she's acting normal. We've all learned not to go along with her and instead try to point her in the right direction about things. We love her very much but she has and still does manipulate people especially new people or friends in her life.

Is she able to fool people who don't know her well into thinking she's "normal" for lack of a better word? I have known a few people personally and in my practice that were adept at hiding the reality of their intensive mental illnesses, very charming on the surface, very smart, etc., and it was only people who actually lived with them or worked with them on a daily basis who eventually discovered how sick they really were. I can easily see Julia fooling CPS or court child custody evaluators. In a couple of my cases it took at least a year before the crazy came out and was proved.

I think the same thing -given all of the issues, and all of the professionals involved in this case (doctors, lawyers, the father, the family, friends, the court, case/social workers, etc., etc.) Collectively they failed Sky. Seems rigorous follow up and monitoring should have been in place given her diagnosis. Heartbreaking.

I agree, Madilu, and I will add that, IMO, not only did they fail little Sky, but they failed Julia and, by extension, her entire family, as well.

I wasn't saying it's more commonly linked to bi-polar than other disorders just that most people with bi-polar usually have some form of OCD.. bad wording on my part; the occurs with was just to define comorbidities... tis ok

Well this is an example of over crowding in our court system. Just not one that comes to mind as in criminal. I generally don't consider divorce court as a potential crime waiting to happen such as this one. But mental illness runs the gamet across all walks of life. No matter how you slice it children are involved and are the victims in most cases.

What was the outcome of the Feb. 1 hearing? Is that when the dad was hit with the restraining order?

How very sad for these children.

Salem

I'm not sure what the outcome was I can't find info on that.

I don't believe this was when the protection order's were done because of this article:

The couple separated in March 2010, court records show. In June 2010, the same month Metalwala filed for divorce, Biryukova, 30, filed for a protection order on behalf of herself and their two children

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/07/sky-metalwala-missing-was_n_1080847.html

For me it is challenging to tell if someone is bi-polar when they are taking their meds correctly ..they act normal..but when they stop their meds...Katie bar the door.

I have had a couple of friends that are bi-polar stop their meds and what a mess.

Is it possible mom had a friend on the inside. Like a friend or a friend of a friend who worked for CPS or family court? Just a thought after reading dads declaration and if his evidence showed what he was saying why would he not have atleast supervised visitation? Or why not put the kids in foster care until some of the accusations were figured out as fact or not?

Below are a few of the pictures that I was talking about. They appear to be in the apartment and if you notice there is a chandelier hanging from the ceiling in the first one. I believe this is the open living room/dining room/kitchen area of the apartment. You can notice things in the pictures that show up in each of the photos. The kids apparently slept in the living room on a mattress on the floor which leads me to think that there was no bedroom for them. This is not a hotel IMO.

IMG_1818 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1811 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | IMG_1805 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

When I was a teen my parents divorced. We were poor and could only afford a one bedroom rental. I slept in the only bedroom and my mom and 4 year old brother slept together on a fold out sofa bed. This is what appears to me to be the case in these pictures. Do we know if they lived in a studio or 1 bedroom apartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member