GUILTY Canada - Vicky Shachtay, 23, paraplegic, killed by bomb, Innisfail, AB, 25 Nov 2011

Her accident was when she was pregnant. Obviously we aren't privy to the circumstances surrounding the accident, but am wondering if someone didn't want her to have her baby? There is a dad out there somewhere. For all we know, he could be a very loving father to his daughter. But at this point, we also don't know whether he was a deadbeat dad, tired of paying alimony, support?

Now we know that the package was in fact delivered before Vicky left the house earlier (an hour earlier, so approximately 8:00 am). The perp had no way of knowing that she would set it aside for when she returned alone. As Destiny was in school, i'm thinking Vicky left the house to take her daughter to school. Did the perp intend that the package would be found and OPENED by Vicky while she was with her daughter?

Maybe her mother who just died from cancer is rich. Maybe there is an inheritance involved. If money goes to the little girl, whomever cares for her will have control of it.

“There is a detail that we’re holding onto for now that tells us she was targeted. What we don’t know is why she was targeted,” he said Tuesday. “Until we know exactly why she was a target, we are still advising residents to be vigilant about any other unexpected hand-delivered packages. If you see anything suspicious, let us know.

This is such a horrible story. I just read today that this was planned and intended. Poor little girl to have Christmas without your mommy. I hope this perp is apprehended soon.

I read that there was a health assistant/nurse who lived in the home as well. I guess LE knows that Victoria was the target though.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...c-single-mother-targeted-in-killing-rcmp?bn=1

Innisfail is tiny, like ~7000 people. One interesting point about it is that it's very near a federal pen. Other than that, it's a farming community.

How big is Innisfail? From the sounds of things, she lived in an apartment of some kind: The blast blew out a window and sent debris flying onto the street in front of her ground-floor unit.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...c-single-mother-targeted-in-killing-rcmp?bn=1

OK, I see the photo of her residence in the post above by Snoopster. Did someone live on the top floor?

I believe earlier articles said that it was a four-plex, with 2 apartments up and 2 down.

For now police aren't saying how they know the bomb was meant for Shachtay, citing concerns that releasing that information could hinder the investigation.

"Right now there are only two people, or groups, in the world that know what happened and that is the perpetrator and our investigators," said Webb. "And we're keeping that piece of information close to our chest so that we can use it."

Read more: http://www.canada.com/Police+confir...geted+attack/5786534/story.html#ixzz1fFa5J2OK

It really seems like the package was delivered to the wrong address. Car accident costs would be covered by insurance (depending on the nature of the accident - could have been single vehicle) and health care benefits, so I doubt that was a reason for blowing up a single mom that was a paraplegic.

I should add that those are national free health care benefits - so there's no question that her health care needs were covered and there was no reason to blow her up to avoid payment. A ligitimate second driver would have a million+ in insurance coverage for injuring someone else (normal amount) and someone that didn't have insurance coverage (not an upstanding citizen) most likely wouldn't have anything worth pursuing in a lawsuit.
<bbm>

Provincial health care benefits will cover to a certain extent Otto. There are however still civil remedies available through lawsuits when serious life-altering injuries are sustained. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much work for personal injury lawyers in Alberta to represent MVA victims, i.e:

http://www./

For over 45 years we have served the needs of clients who have suffered injury or death as a result of vehicle or other accidents ....

We have achieved court awards and settlements reaching $5 million lump sum and $30 million in structured settlement tax free payments (awards vary and are dependent on many factors including severity of injury, duration of loss and overall impact on your life ...

Some news articles refer to Vicky as paraplegic, others quadraplegic.

I know the caregiver has been cleared by LE, but I've been wondering about something:

Vicky's accident was 7 years ago, so whatever the extent of her injuries sustained at that time, presumably she learned certain skills and methods to cope with everyday tasks. Why didn't Vicky ask the caregiver to open the package to save her the trouble of struggling(?) with it.

From what we've read, i'm sure the explanation is that Vicky's strong independent nature was such that she tried to do as much as she could on her own, but it would have been so much easier for her to have someone else open it for her.

On another note, from the last link i posted:

In the meantime, Destiny will remain in the care of Shachtay&#8217;s stepfather who lives in Innisfail, 105 kilometres north of Calgary.

&#8220;She spent the first four years of her life living in (her) grandma and grandpa&#8217;s house while Vicky was getting used to her wheelchair,&#8221; said Rilling. &#8220;Destiny is where she is known and loved.&#8221;

and, from yesterday (has since been deleted from article):
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/12/02/19062161.html

Shachtay's brother, one of several surviving siblings, said he visited ... He said he saw his sister a few weeks ago when she moved into her new home. ...
<bbm>

Hundreds mourn Innisfail, Alta., woman killed in package-bomb explosion

full article:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...led+package+bomb+explosion/5808453/story.html

In an emotional eulogy, family friend Marnie Rilling described Shachtay as a fighter whose daughter became “her reason to live” — born just one month after a devastating car accident left her a quadriplegic at 16.

“That was a miracle. Her baby has been saved now twice,” said Rilling, referring to the fact that daughter Destiny was not at home at the time of the explosion.

In the meantime, Destiny will remain in the care of Shachtay’s stepfather who lives in Innisfail, 105 kilometres north of Calgary.

“She spent the first four years of her life living in (her) grandma and grandpa’s house while Vicky was getting used to her wheelchair,” said Rilling. “Destiny is where she is known and loved.”

From the above article.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/12/09/19103716.html
CALGARY &#8212; There's forgiveness within a man whose stepdaughter was killed by an exploding package left on her doorstep in Innisfail, Alta., but he wants to know why.

Rick Bercier told QMI Agency he cannot understand how someone could do that to another person.

"I'm a man of faith, so I'm not going to harbour any bitter feelings or ill will," he said.

"I just want to know why.

"I've already forgiven this person in my heart. I have to, to move forward."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/12/09/19103716.html
CALGARY — There's forgiveness within a man whose stepdaughter was killed by an exploding package left on her doorstep in Innisfail, Alta., but he wants to know why.

Rick Bercier told QMI Agency he cannot understand how someone could do that to another person.

"I'm a man of faith, so I'm not going to harbour any bitter feelings or ill will," he said.

"I just want to know why.

"I've already forgiven this person in my heart. I have to, to move forward."

he's a much better person than me ...

BUMP FOR VICKY !!

No info on this case since December 9 :(

It's hard to see a motive here. Could the package have been left at the wrong door?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back