ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen anywhere that states that when they fell, that Justin landed on top of Ayla. I have only seen that they tripped up the stairs and he fell with her. Her arm could have been outstretched and barely jarred, which could have caused a hairline fracture. Sometimes, fractures are asymptomatic because they are so miniscule. I am a RN & office manager of a busy walk-in-clinic. We see injuries that are completely obvious to everyone that they are fractures based on symptoms & clinical exam, but when we xray them, they are not. We also see injuries where everyone thinks it is a soft-tissue injury based on clinical circumstance and symptoms and then everyone is surprised when the xray shows a fracture.

It seems that everyone has their own picture in their head about this fall & how they landed, but I have not seen it completely described. It is quite possible that Ayla only cried a little bit when it happened and they thought maybe it just scared her. I have not seen it described anywhere that they had any reason to suspect that she had a head injury, based on the fall.

My own opinions, of course.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/i-fell-on-herfather-says_2012-01-06.html

"I came up the stairs and slipped. It happened so fast, I don't know exactly how I fell on her, but I fell on her," he said.

There was documentation. Plenty of it. He took her to ER and they ruled it was not due to any abuse or fault of the parent or family. A mere accident.

It makes me feel a little better because some abusive injuries would be inconsistent with a fall but they don't always get it right or there would be fewer children falling through the cracks even though they've been repeatedly treated in the ER.

They probably also cannot tell if the caretaker was intoxicated 24 hours ago when the accident happened.

"Steps away" quoted from a link above is still pretty vague and just the journalist's words, as far as I can tell, in a sense of while "mere" steps away, there was Grandma, etc...could be twenty- five steps, could be three. I don't think it tells us much, we already can see the house is very small.

It makes me feel a little better because some abusive injuries would be inconsistent with a fall but they don't always get it right or there would be fewer children falling through the cracks even though they've been repeatedly treated in the ER.

They probably also cannot tell if the caretaker was intoxicated 24 hours ago when the accident happened.

I would hope to think he was not intoxicated considering he was just coming home from the grocery store, at night and in the rain. Where does the "intoxicated" suspicion come from anyhow that the need was felt to state such?

Yes. I explained the story of my falling on my daughter at only a couple months old, slipped on ice and her head cracked into the ice. A huge egg formed and I took her to ER. I can tell you they put ice on it (as I did before we left) and I can also tell you they did not do any xrays or MRI's either. They said soft tissue damage and keep watch for excessive sleepiness.

But, the fact is that you didn't hesitate to take your baby to the emergency room to rule out any complications.

"It's burned into my brain" Odd choice of words

Not really. I don't see it as odd. It is certainly "burned into my brain" on every injury my children ever had. By the way...your grandson is sooo cute!! Love the pic!

"It's burned into my brain" Odd choice of words

It's odd because the way the accident happened didn't burn into his brain and the date of the accident didn't burn into his brain. But apparently he's sure that an accident happened.

Well if you knew there might be a custody battle down the road and there might be claims that the child returned from one parent with bruises in the past, a parent will be hesitate to seek medical attention for that child so that there will be no documentation.

and yet he did...

When I took my son to our Dr. and found out his arm was broken, I told Dr. Wilson how horrible I felt that I'd waited so long. (broke the evening before....to the Dr. the next afternoon) Our Dr. told me he did the same thing with one of his kids. It's not always something sinister when parents make a wrong decision. Even a parent who is a Dr. can make a mistake like this. My son complained that his arm hurt....broke right above his wrist....but, he wasn't writhing in pain!

But, the fact is that you didn't hesitate to take your baby to the emergency room to rule out any complications.

Yes...but at the time, I was not a dad...or a grandmother;) Fact is, my mother in law said she would be find just put ice on it. No way. When I say the bump was the size of an egg...that is not with exaggeration...it was even shaped like an egg! Even at 19 I knew that meant bleeding under the skin....now dad's, they are a bit different. They come from the "pick yourself up and brush off..your fine" attitude. Again, I see nothing unusual in Ayla's injury and I did have the same experience not once, but twice with my children in waiting to take them as I didn't know their wrists were broke. For that matter...the school nurse let my son stay at school all day with a broken wrist from the playground and sent a note home with him for me to watch and it was the next morn that the swelling and bruising when we learned broke!

I would hope to think he was not intoxicated considering he was just coming home from the grocery store, at night and in the rain. Where does the "intoxicated" suspicion come from anyhow that the need was felt to state such?

It's a plausible explanation why some people don't feel like taking their injured child to see a doctor right away IMO.

When I took my son to our Dr. and found out his arm was broken, I told Dr. Wilson how horrible I felt that I'd waited so long. (broke the evening before....to the Dr. the next afternoon) Our Dr. told me he did the same thing with one of his kids. It's not always something sinister when parents make a wrong decision. Even a parent who is a Dr. can make a mistake like this. My son complained that his arm hurt....broke right above his wrist....but, he wasn't writhing in pain!

Amster, there has been about 8 pages of conversations regarding Ayla's broken arm that I have to say those who are so determined to make this more than what the family explained has never experienced the same as you and I...about 5 other moms who have posted...and your doctor and the nurse in who just posted the same. I will bow out of this now as it will just become a moot point. :rollercoaster:

and yet he did...

I'd think that once it becomes apparent that there is something seriously wrong that might not heal on its own without medical attention most people in a custody battle would figure out that it looks worse for them if they don't take the child to the ER than if they do.

So, now he was intoxicated?? Is there some basis for that accusation?

It's a plausible explanation why some people don't feel like taking their injured child to see a doctor right away IMO.

No, Donjeta. We already explained the plausible reason one doesnt take a child in to see a doctor when one does not SEE an injury and the child gets up and starts playing again. Adding intoxicated after knowing JD was just at the grocery store and drove home in the rain and carried a child and two bags is not plausible. For that matter....if he was intoxicated, don't you think the store would have smelled it on him and knowing he was leaving with a small child? It's not plausible at all. You keep making things more than what is there. I'm bowing out now.

Seeing how the houses are close together, it is very difficult for me to picture Ayla being extracted from the little house by someone from the outside, JMO. Does TR's family include any cat burglars that we are aware of? I still think that the mode of removal would have been far more confrontational and emotional if TR was involved, JMO. It may have worked against her in the end, but her emotions/responses seem close to the surface to me. I'm just not able to picture a stealthy scheme of this magnitude set in motion by TR. JMO

No, Donjeta. We already explained the plausible reason one doesnt take a child in to see a doctor when one does not SEE an injury and the child gets up and starts playing again. Adding intoxicated after knowing JD was just at the grocery store and drove home in the rain and carried a child and two bags is not plausible. For that matter....if he was intoxicated, don't you think the store would have smelled it on him and knowing he was leaving with a small child? It's not plausible at all. You keep making things more than what is there. I'm bowing out now.

Is there some independent confirmation that he was in the grocery store just before the injury and the clerk smelled his breath and saw he was about to drive home with two bags and a child, apart from what he said? He doesn't even remember which date it was.

Anyway, I didn't invent the intoxication, he brought it up himself.
He denied it but I guess he could deny it either way.

He said some people have suggested that he didn't take Ayla to the hospital immediately because he may have been intoxicated at the time. He said that's untrue.

Amster, there has been about 8 pages of conversations regarding Ayla's broken arm that I have to say those who are so determined to make this more than what the family explained has never experienced the same as you and I...about 5 other moms who have posted...and your doctor and the nurse in who just posted the same. I will bow out of this now as it will just become a moot point. :rollercoaster:

Yep....I'm done, also. It has now been introduced that dad was intoxicated. I'm done with being insulted. My child had a similar experience as others here have explained. I wasn't drunk or on drugs or afraid of a custody dispute. :furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard