court in recess until 3/13/2012 general discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this full interview with RS has been posted yet or not. Poor Rod; he looks so uncomfortable!

http://www.lfpress.com/video/raw-video:-day-3-comments-from-rodney-stafford/1494288412001

Start at 1:13, DG touches Rod, interesting.

Okay, that's what I thought, that helps a lot. I just wanted to make sure because that wiki threw me for a loop. Thanks!

I wish there were somewhere else on the web besides wiki that had a better explanation of the ins and outs and everything in betweens of the legal system. Anyone know of anything like that? Especially Canada's since I'm here in the US...

This might be helpful for you.

http://www.crcvc.ca/docs/A_Victims_Guide_to_the_Canadian_CJS_07.pdf

and this

6xyn93.jpg

This might be helpful for you.

http://www.crcvc.ca/docs/A_Victims_Guide_to_the_Canadian_CJS_07.pdf

and this

6xyn93.jpg

Thanks! That's a great chart of the basics of a trial. I understand those concepts, not very different from what we do here.

I do think that it is strange that the defense does not present it's opening statements until the Crown has finished presenting their case. I remember from high school that here in the US the defense has the option to do it that way, and I verified that on Wiki. In the Wiki it said that it is not often done since it allows the Crown's case to go unchallenged for so long.

That is especially interesting in this case since DD isn't doing much in the way of cross-examining the witnesses. He's not really putting anything out there at all. I really wish that Court TV could cover this trial because I would like to hear what the analysts would have to say about Derstine's approach. Of course they can't because of the publication ban and probably wouldn't anyway because it is a Canadian case, which is very sad.

Its going to be interesting to see how Derstine cross-examines TLM, up to this point he really hasn't had to show his hand so to speak. I wonder if that could be intentional? If he goes easy on TLM I'll fall off the couch or whatever I'm sitting on. Hopefully I won't be out with the iphone.:)

As far as my question up thread about recalling a witness after it was brought up in relation to Derstine... In general I was wondering about that because while you hear that during a trial, I don't really know what the technicalities are. To me it would seem that all of the witnesses should remain available to be called back to the stand in case in case something comes up during the trial after their testimony that they need to elaborate on, refute etc. And there were things that I have seen in a trial when it comes to the recall of a witness that were not mentioned in the Wiki so I was just wondering if I could get some help with that.

Back to Derstine's defense... it was mentioned that we haven't seen tweets about him asking if he could recall witnesses. We don't know that he hasn't, he could be and its not being tweeted. I was just wondering how that works, what happens if he didn't ask? Its no big deal, I was just wondering.

I'm also just making sure that I'm not taking it for granted that our court procedures are the same as yours. When we were talking about disclosure in another thread I really was blown away that prior to 1991 you all didn't have any requirements that the Crown let the defense know what evidence they have. It does explain why the defense's opening statements are not made until the Crown has presented their case. Prior to 1991 the defense wouldn't know what evidence they were refuting. I don't know what else could be different.

Anyway, thanks for posting, you do put up helpful links.:)

A couple of nights ago when I was on my iphone catching up here, a Tori Amos song started playing. I guess I downloaded it for free and never listened to it because I don't usually listen to music on it.

I couldn't figure out which app was making it play and it kept playing over and over as I read through the days events at trial. Its a beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful song. And its by a woman named Tori.:)

Here are the lyrics to the beginning of the song:
Love, hold my hand
Help me see with the dawn
That those that have left
Are not gone
But they carry on
As stars looking down
As nature's sons
And daughters of the heavens
You will not ever be forgotten by me
In the procession of the mighty stars
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart
Here I will carry, carry, carry you
Forever

Please listen to the song, Tori's vocals and piano are wonderful too. I'm sending it special for little Tori, and Haleigh Cummings too who's been on my mind so much lately. She disappeared about the same time as Tori and she loved purple too.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gzKwOcCOYA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gzKwOcCOYA[/ame]

I can't believe Tori's case is in court! It snuck up on me whilst I was preoccupied with another.

I remember watching her story unfold from the day she disappeared...:( with the daily press conferences with Tara and Rodney...and so much speculation that Tara was responsible for Tori's disappearance.

So sad....and always so inexplicable...

THAT is interesting! You can tell she starts looking uncomfortable herself, I had to watch that a couple times before I could see what you were talking about. IMO, that is a watch what you're saying nudge. JMHO

THAT is interesting! You can tell she starts looking uncomfortable herself, I had to watch that a couple times before I could see what you were talking about. IMO, that is a watch what you're saying nudge. JMHO

I have to agree. This must be so hard for RS, with everything that he's going through, to also have to hold everything inside and be so careful of everything he says. :(

I have to agree. This must be so hard for RS, with everything that he's going through, to also have to hold everything inside and be so careful of everything he says. :(

I wasn't able to watch that clip, for some reason. It kept saying there was a gateway timeout error.

You know, for the most part (thankfully), I can usually shelve the emotions this case stirs up in me--I say thankfully because I couldn't handle it if I couldn't do that--but every once in awhile, the enormity of what these people have done hits me. The horror hits me. And I just don't understand how anyone could do that to a little girl. Or to anyone. :(

I'm not sure if this full interview with RS has been posted yet or not. Poor Rod; he looks so uncomfortable!

http://www.lfpress.com/video/raw-video:-day-3-comments-from-rodney-stafford/1494288412001

I watched this a couple of times and am intrigued by the comments by VS's Father. VS was abducted the first time she was allowed to walk home alone to her new home that she had only lived in for one week. He wonders why she was allowed to walk home alone and is sceptical as I have always been about the abduction by someone TM had drug connections with....He also doesn't think the whole truth will come out. Obvs. he doesn't trust TM. TM was hiding something in her daily 1 o'clocks all along. It turned out that it was her drug use. Why is Daryn still with her in her custody? I realize she is not on trial, but RS still seems to not trust her.

Terri-Lynne McClintic, who has already pled guilty to first-degree murder, is expected to take the stand on Tuesday in the London courthouse. She is currently serving a life-sentence for her part in the murder of Tori Stafford.

Her testimony is expected to be extremely graphic, and though we will be reporting the majority of what is said, some elements may be deemed too graphic to report.

Please be warned before reading the live-blog or following reporters on twitter, that some of the coverage may be graphic.

Read it on Global News: Global Toronto | Stay informed on the Rafferty trial with Global News

http://www.globaltoronto.com/stay+i...+trial+with+global+news/6442599340/story.html

I was thinking today that if MR is found guilty and gets 25 years, he will be in his early 50's when he gets out. Still young enough to do this to more children.
it is way past time to have some of our laws changed. Way past time.

I was thinking today that if MR is found guilty and gets 25 years, he will be in his early 50's when he gets out. Still young enough to do this to more children.
it is way past time to have some of our laws changed. Way past time.

It is sickening to even think of these monsters getting out of jail regardless of what age they will be.

Dangerous offender designation

The Dangerous Offender provisions of the Criminal Code are intended to protect all Canadians from the most dangerous violent and sexual predators in the country. Individuals convicted of these offences can be designated as a Dangerous Offender during sentencing if it is shown that there is a significantly high risk that they will commit future violent or sexual offences. The objective of protecting innocent Canadians from future harm can and will ensure in such cases that the offender will remain in prison indefinitely until that risk no longer exists. If the court finds an offender to be a dangerous offender, it shall impose a sentence of detention in a penitentiary for an indeterminate period.

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/prg/cor/tls/dod-eng.aspx

Dangerous offender designation

The Dangerous Offender provisions of the Criminal Code are intended to protect all Canadians from the most dangerous violent and sexual predators in the country. Individuals convicted of these offences can be designated as a Dangerous Offender during sentencing if it is shown that there is a significantly high risk that they will commit future violent or sexual offences. The objective of protecting innocent Canadians from future harm can and will ensure in such cases that the offender will remain in prison indefinitely until that risk no longer exists. If the court finds an offender to be a dangerous offender, it shall impose a sentence of detention in a penitentiary for an indeterminate period.

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/prg/cor/tls/dod-eng.aspx

I am thinking that they have to have convicted three or more similar offences to be able to have them designated Dangerous offenders. I am not very sure about that though. I haven't heard that either of them had other charges before unless they were young offenders.

a pattern of repetitive behaviour by the offender, of which the offence for which he or she has been convicted forms a part, showing a failure to restrain his or her behaviour and a likelihood of causing death or injury to other persons, or inflicting severe psychological damage on other persons, through failure in the future to restrain his or her behaviour,

I am thinking that they have to have convicted three or more similar offences to be able to have them designated Dangerous offenders. I am not very sure about that though. I haven't heard that either of them had other charges before unless they were young offenders.

Maybe the repeated behaviour could be the sexual habits he had. JMO

It is sickening to even think of these monsters getting out of jail regardless of what age they will be.

We can only hope that they will never be able to convince the parole board to let them go.

Do we know this for sure??

The same question crossed my mind. We don't, I don't think the media has talked about that and I hope it stays that way. I think people talked about that somewhere around here, not saying that to be snippy, just saying a lot of people here care about Daryn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omgitsree