17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to be confrontational in saying this, but I've called the police non-emergency number for weird stuff around the neighborhood before, and I'm not even aware of a NWP around here.

I think it's hard to un-blur the line between when he can say he was or wasn't acting in that capacity, as it's really supposed to be an "anytime" kind of thing... But it also makes me wonder if when he volunteered to do this, if it meant he had to be considered NWP from then on, and relinquished all rights as a normal civilian and resident of the neighborhood.

Even if he wasn't acting in any "official" capacity that night, he still could have called in what he believed to be a suspicious person lurking around the neighborhood.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for my brash response earlier. I did not mean any offense with it; that's just one of a few things that keeps being repeated and won't really change any of the outcomes of that night. I don't think anyone disagrees that he violated several recommendations made by most NWPs.
Neighborhood Watch IS a volunteer position, you are not "chosen", nor paid, nor do you relinquish any rights as a normal civilian and resident. I do not own a gun, nor would I ever, in fact, I made my husband give up his gun!!!

My NWP was started as a house party by some neighbors after a break-in. We all met with local LE. They asked for volunteers. I was never given a manual. I keep e-mail contact with the coordinators to disseminate crime prevention info. I have obtained a sign for my front window. That's it. And I have a large dog.

In court or in a police station. Otherwise, it's just a good interview technique with a guest who is not very clear.

First thing that popped in my head: The Anthonys.

I want to clear up hearsay. Hearsay is admissible if it is used to impeach a witness. And the statement's of a party to a case, i.e., a defendant, are not hearsay because they are considered admissions by the party.

So here's how it would work:

Q: Sir, what did your brother tell you happened?
A: He said he was standing there and this kid came out of nowhere and jumped him.
Q: I want to show you a video that has been marked for i.d. purposes as Exhibit 333. Please watch.
Q: Now sir, that's not what you stated previously, correct? Isn't it true that you stated your brother ran after the victim?

In the above scenario (which isn't precisely how impeachment evidence would be utilized, but I've condensed it for space), the hearsay statements of the brother on the video come in as impeachment of the brother. The statement within his statement, what Zimmerman told him, is NOT hearsay because it is an admission by a party.

Anything he says can be used against him in a court of law so if I was his attorney, I would tell him to keep his mouth firmly shut.

Also, the girlfriend did not find out right away that he had been killed. From what I understand, once she did, she was overcome and had to be hospitalized. I would too realizing I heard the last moments of my boyfriend before he was murdered.

True about gf. But as a minor who has done nothing wrong I don't feel we should be sleuthing her and making up scenarios trying to discredit her. We have never heard from her just what has been released. This is why parents tell their children not to talk to the authorities about things they witnessed. I say leave her alone unless something comes to the surface. jmo

Neighborhood Watch doesn't patrol, at least I don't!

The LE representative who TRAINS all neighborhood watch, and the one who went to the HOA meeting for this complex said they are NEVER to patrol. She has another program called Citizens on Patrol who are allowed to do that after much more intense training and vetting of those participating.

She also said that there is a clear and definite ban on carrying any type of weapon while participating in either of those programs.

If it was justified for him to shoot, which it seems to me so far that it was, it wasn't a crime. It was self defense.

Thanks. Semantics, IMO.

In all the shootings I've heard of (except this one, of course), the police put up that yellow tape that has "Crime Scene - Do Not Cross". Never once have I seen "Crime and/or Self Defense or Possible Suicide Scene".

I think it's considered a crime scene until when and if it's determined no crime was commited.

In my opinion, as always.

Here's a new viewpoint of the crime scene from Google Earth looking towards the Southwest.

TMEarth2.png

OMG do I see cars parked partially on the grass in this image? Where is GZ, I think a 911 call is in order!!! :seeya:

head on the sidewalk, head on the grass, wouldn't you shoot if you were getting beat up by someone who you thought was armed? I would.

He thought he was armed? But still only beating him up, not using the thing he was armed with?

Neighborhood Watch IS a volunteer postion, you are not "chosen", nor paid, nor do you relinquish any rights as a normal civilian and resident. I do not own a gun, nor would I ever, in fact, I made my husband give up his gun!!!
BBM

I'm pretty sure I specifically stated "when he volunteered".

I'm going to lay it out like this:
-Apparently, according to some, he could not carry a gun while acting as a neighborhood watchperson.
-A neighborhood watchperson is pretty much always a neighborhood watchperson inside the neighborhood. That's the point. They're always watching, keeping an eye out.

From this, it would seem that the premise being demonstrated is that Zimmerman was never "allowed" to carry a gun while in the neighborhood because he was affiliated with the NWP. Which would pretty much be him relinquishing rights and status as a civilian resident.

As to the BBM, that's cool. What relevance does that have here?

Well mr Hornsby tried to enlighten us on some issues but was not well received.

Oh come on! We were on the same side of the fence during the "Other case" and I have always valued AZlawyer's opinion more. That doesn't change with this case? I love AZlawyer. Doesn't mean I don't respect RH 's imput and insight?

OK people. Maybe someone smarter than me will have an answer because I just can't see it any other way in my mind. Tell me which is most likely...(1) that TM was on top, was shot in the upper chest and fell forward off Zimmerman and landed on the grass face down. OR (2) Zimmerman was on top, shot TM in the upper chest and TM flipped over from his back and fell face down? I think common sense should tell us who was on top.

Lawrence O'Donnell has become my new favorite. And I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him. :)

The LE representative who TRAINS all neighborhood watch, and the one who went to the HOA meeting for this complex said they are NEVER to patrol. She has another program called Citizens on Patrol who are allowed to do that after much more intense training and vetting of those participating.

She also said that there is a clear and definite ban on carrying any type of weapon while participating in either of those programs.
BBM

See, this. What does this mean? If I join a NWP, can I no longer exercise my 2nd amendment right, ever (as long as I'm affiliated with the NW program, anyway)?

So Zimmerman was some 100 lbs heavier than Martin, so now we have to ask the question?
[SIZE=-1]He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or[/SIZE]

If you think yes then we move on to the next statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

[SIZE=-1]A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.[/SIZE]

Exactly what was Martin doing that was unlawful he wasn't in a car but I heard that he was standing under a structure waiting for the rain to stop. Do I have this right so far?

I don't think he did either. His lawyer said he thought his nose was broken.

Yes, his lawyer never saw George until weeks after the crime said that GZ told him he had a broken nose and cuts on his head. He never said that he'd seen photos or any medical records to prove it though :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleuthy1101