17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case certainly opens your eyes to alot of things going on that you would not ordinarily think about.

I read somewhere that he had no license on him. Am not sure if it said whether or not he actually had a license and it just wasn't on him. MOO

I remember he had no ID with him & he may not have had a drivers license, I just was thinking if FL has a database of drivers' fingerprints that they possibly could have used it to identify him?

City of Sanford prepares for response to George Zimmerman decision
Zimmerman shot, killed Trayvon Martin in February
Published On: Apr 05 2012 06:11:38 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 05 2012 08:08:06 PM EDT
SANFORD, Fla. - The city of Sanford is preparing for the outcome of the special prosecutor's decision about George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin but has not been charged.

Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett said on Thursday that the city's emergency management team has met regularly with the U.S Department of Justice to construct a plan. Officials said extra police officers and fire department officials are on standby. Neighboring agencies have also been asked to assist, if needed.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Ci...sion/-/1637132/10276020/-/xeilns/-/index.html

Lawyers: Zimmerman whispered 'punks' before shooting

Hmmmm, wonder if that's enough to garner 'hate'....since the attorneys who haven't even met GZ face to face are admitting this...could it go against them?

I still don't believe those were the words whispered...I believe it was a racial slur...but the defining moment will be what this investigation from ACory and DOJ prove...that will be the bottom line...

I read somewhere that he had no license on him. Am not sure if it said whether or not he actually had a license and it just wasn't on him. MOO

Yes, I guess if he had a license on him, they would know who he was. He didn't have a wallet, just the money. jmo

I've never been fingerprinted for my license. I've never been fingerprinted, period. jmo

Never been fingerprinted here for license either, but have been fingerprinted for a nursing license.

I've never been fingerprinted for my license. I've never been fingerprinted, period. jmo

Interesting. I know Calif & other states take a fingerprint for licenses, I didn't realize some states don't do this. :)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A task force examining Florida's "stand your ground" self-defense law was told Thursday that the Trayvon Martin shooting is one example of the law's ambiguity and the potential unintended consequences it has created.

"What we've discovered is, in a drug deal gone bad, people die, and this is the defense," Buddy Jacobs, general counsel for the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association, told the 18-member panel. "Our conclusion is that this law ought to be repealed. We don't think it's a thing we can tweak."

The 2005 law is under nationwide scrutiny following the Feb. 26 shooting in Sanford of the unarmed, 17-year-old Martin by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. Martin's family and supporters want Zimmerman arrested, but police say they were prevented from doing so because of the law. At least 20 other states have similar stand your ground laws.

The task force organizer, state Sen. Chris Smith, of Fort Lauderdale, said the 7-year-old law has been controversial in past cases and likely will be again long after the Martin case has faded from national attention.

"It did not begin and it will not end with the Trayvon Martin case," said Smith, a Democrat. "There is a lot of misconception and misunderstanding around the state. It can lead to dangerous incidents."

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Fl...sing/-/1637132/10278578/-/w60ax2/-/index.html

If TM had no ID on him, license or other, how would LE know what his address was in Miami? If LE had the address in Miami, why didn't they communicate with that LE office so they could notify his mother? LE just did not do a very good job here. If LE had done a thorough job all of this carp wouldn't be going on. It would then be justice for Trayvon and GZ. You have only LE to thank for everything that has happened since the killing.

He certainly does. He was caught with an empty bag of weed, caught with jewelry that wasn't his along with a screwdriver (determined to be a burglary tool), he allegedly punched a bus driver. He's been caught doing lots of stuff, just never arrested. He was given second chances, I'm assuming because of his age. This has been discussed here but people only want to look at the negatives in GZ's past.

I think the difference here is that Trayvon was in trouble for three things in the past:

1) writing obscene graffiti on the wall (my DD's 5th grade class is having the same problem in the boys' room right now)
2) an empty packet with marijuana residue (not a good sign but not illegal either)
3) jewelry that could not be matched to any reported theft and a screwdriver "that they felt could be used as a burglary tool."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-investigated-trayvon-martin-jewelry-16015168#.T38B8I6Q2KM

None of those things has any bearing on the night of 2/26 because even GZ has not said that Trayvon was:

1) writing on anything or vandalizing anything
2) smoking pot or anything else
3) breaking into a house, trying doorknobs, checking windows, or anything else to indicate that he was planning to rob someone. He was "looking around." That's all. I assume GZ was also "looking around" since he saw TM.

Also, TM was not found with a weapon, jewelry or anything else that had been stolen, graffiti tools, or so much as a bobby pin to break in somewhere.

OTOH:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/trayvon-martin-case-george-zimmerman_n_1392591.html

GZ has a history of violent acts, especially over people he seems to feel some authority over, like the woman at the party where he was the bouncer, or his ex. For example:

He was fired for being too aggressive with patrons.

“He had a temper and he became a liability,” the newspaper quoted the former co-worker as saying. “One time this woman was acting a little out of control. She was drunk. George lost his cool and totally overreacted,” he said. “It was weird, because he was such a cool guy, but he got all nuts. He picked her up and threw her. It was pure rage. She twisted her ankle. Everyone was flipping out.”

Zimmerman attacked her while the two were driving to a counseling session. Zuazo said she popped her gum in his face and he repeatedly smacked her in the face. In January 2002, she added, Zimmerman became enraged that she had come home late. They wrestled and he threw her on the bed, smacking her.

In addition, he seems to have some trouble accepting someone else's authority over him, like a police dispatcher (no, I understand it's not illegal to ignore their advice, but it's also not smart.)

a cursory search of county records showed a 2005 arrest on charges of resisting arrest and assaulting a law enforcement officer.

And then there is the history of making a BFD out of nothing and calling police. Not to mention following the person and creating a more dangerous situation than the one he initially called about.

In September 2003, Zimmerman called police and reported that another motorist spat on him, according to reports, Zimmerman followed the man in his car until the police arrived...In a police report of the incident, Osum said “at one point, he thought Mr. Zimmerman was going to attack him."

So when people bring up Trayvon's "history" it does reek of blaming the victim. When people bring up GZ's history it is absolutely relevant to what might have happened here. I believe that GZ called police and made a BFD out of nothing, as he had in the past; followed Trayvon, as he had others in the past; ignored the dispatcher's advice; and assaulted Trayvon as he had others in the past.

When you add in that the lead detective on the scene didn't believe GZ's story, when you add in that the funeral director said Trayvon's body showed no sign of a fight or scuffle, when you add in the lack of emergency medical treatment for GZ and the video where he appears to be just fine...it seems obvious to me that this is at least enough reason to investigate and possibly go to trial.

I am not being the judge, jury and executioner for GZ. I am not saying he is guilty (although I think that is most likely). I am saying there needs to be an investigation. I think someone needs to take this seriously. And I don't think anyone did until people started protesting and sharing on social media and making a fuss. While I agree that GZ shouldn't be arrested b/c of the outcry, I also don't think it should have taken this kind of outcry to prompt an investigation. It warranted one all by itself.

I also have to say that it makes me crazy that a 19 yo I know was taken into police custody and held in the jail over a fake ID at a bar longer than GZ was the night he admittedly shot an unarmed teenager. The city of Sanford has no one to blame for this except themselves. If they had arrested GZ that night, investigated, and then released him saying it appeared he acted in self-defense, I don't think anyone would have ever heard of either GZ or TM.

Just my :twocents:

Yes, and that's telling, isn't it? About the potential of the media and the public to get a story SO completely wrong, and then refuse to back down and even entertain the thought that they've misrepresented the facts of the case for the pleasure of getting all riled up. Oh and selling advertisement.

For all the bashing the media has taken, I believe that on the whole it has done a good job. It's an important story and I'm glad it's getting national attention.

If TM had no ID on him, license or other, how would LE know what his address was in Miami? If LE had the address in Miami, why didn't they communicate with that LE office so they could notify his mother? LE just did not do a very good job here. If LE had done a thorough job all of this carp wouldn't be going on. It would then be justice for Trayvon and GZ. You have only LE to thank for everything that has happened since the killing.

They might have gotten his Miami info from his cell provider.

How do we know they were NOT going to go and speak with his mother in Miami? They would not call her to notify her of her sons death, they would send an officer. But I bet they wanted to make sure it was him before they did that.

Why do you assume that Trayvon wasn't carrying an ID? The police report didn't list everything he had in his pockets.

They might have gotten his Miami info from his cell provider.

How do we know they were NOT going to go and speak with his mother in Miami? They would not call her to notify her of her sons death, they would send an officer. But I bet they wanted to make sure it was him before they did that.

The other side to that is that we do not know that LE was in communication with the office in Miami and trying to contact the mother, do we?

For all the bashing the media has taken, I believe that on the whole it has done a good job. It's an important story and I'm glad it's getting national attention.

They have, very recently, come around to trying to be objective.

The piece with CNN's tech editor guy showing the process of enhancing the quality of the videotape, and the obvious and serious injuries to the back of GZ's head was pretty much a "mea culpa" for the way the story had been reported by them initially. A whuups, without tacitly admitting they were now changing their coverage to perhaps include the facts.

The Sims quality cartoon reenactment (by the Sun Sentinel I believe) showing that enormous blonde fellow on steroids shooting the little Black child was truly an outrage of yellow journalism. Whoever created that garbage hopefully has lost their job. But yes, recently, mainstream media seems to be making room in their coverage for the actual facts of the case.

Why do you assume that Trayvon wasn't carrying an ID? The police report didn't list everything he had in his pockets.

Sorry, I wasn't assuming TM didn't have a license or ID, my question was if TM did not have a license or ID, how would LE have had his home address in Miami the night of the incident? TM certainly couldn't tell LE where he lived.

City of Sanford prepares for response to George Zimmerman decision
Zimmerman shot, killed Trayvon Martin in February
Published On: Apr 05 2012 06:11:38 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 05 2012 08:08:06 PM EDT
SANFORD, Fla. - The city of Sanford is preparing for the outcome of the special prosecutor's decision about George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin but has not been charged.

Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett said on Thursday that the city's emergency management team has met regularly with the U.S Department of Justice to construct a plan. Officials said extra police officers and fire department officials are on standby. Neighboring agencies have also been asked to assist, if needed.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Ci...sion/-/1637132/10276020/-/xeilns/-/index.html

Hmmmm, wonder if that's enough to garner 'hate'....since the attorneys who haven't even met GZ face to face are admitting this...could it go against them?

I still don't believe those were the words whispered...I believe it was a racial slur...but the defining moment will be what this investigation from ACory and DOJ prove...that will be the bottom line...

The wording in that article leads me to believe that there will be no arrest and they are preparing to riots and such when that decision is announced.

JMO

OT $130 million in Coca-Cola stock found in a garage!

The wording in that article leads me to believe that there will be no arrest and they are preparing to riots and such when that decision is announced.

JMO

They are preparing for anything, including the threats made in a letter sent to NAACP, should GZ not be arrested.

His having id on him would make the most sense. Don't think the cell company would give out that info without a court order. So if he actually had id on him -- that would mean that the whole story about him being tagged as john doe was wrong.

Bumping up the article that started this discussion:

It wasn’t until Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin, called to file a missing-persons report on Feb. 27 that police went to his fiancee’s house with pictures of his son’s dead body. News reports have said that Trayvon’s body was tagged as a John Doe. But the “Partial Report Only” that was completed at 3:07 a.m. on Feb. 27 lists Trayvon’s full name, city of birth, address and phone number. How did police get that information? Was Trayvon carrying identification? Did police try to contact that home number?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ore-questions/2011/03/04/gIQALETDeS_blog.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnySomber